Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Long-time Curmudgeon DrPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Still here
    Posts
    17,387
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Vegan Baby Murderers

    So I saw this story about a couple who starved their 6-week-old child to death. Sad, sad story - the kid weighed 3 1/2 pounds when he died. The couple were actually charged with murder, and I'm not sure what the sentence will end up being.

    The CNN story showed a pretty good-sized house with a completely bare kitchen save for one bottle of soymilk and ONE dirty baby bottle in the whole house. Sick, sick stuff. But the parents hardly looked malnourished, so clearly they were getting food somewhere.

    The media seem to be making a big deal of the fact that the parents are Vegan, and I just don't get how/why that's important. The father made some statement about how they believed they were being sent to jail for being vegan, which makes me think they didn't even grasp that they killed their child. It would seem that this poor child would've starved to death no matter what the food was, because he clearly wasn't getting enough of it.

    So Vegans, please educate me--Is there a "good" vegan diet for raising a baby? I have to believe there is but just don't know enough about it. What's the verdict on human milk?
    "Unless he was racing there was no way he could match my speed."

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPete
    So Vegans, please educate me--Is there a "good" vegan diet for raising a baby? I have to believe there is but just don't know enough about it. What's the verdict on human milk?
    Yes, it is called breast milk. If this is the couple in Atlanta, then from what I read they just fed this baby apple juice and soymilk. Apple juice acts as a diuretic for babies so any nutrituition it was getting from the soymilk wasn't being absorbed nearly enough. Plus soymilk is no replacement for breast milk.

    Human milk is the best food for an infant. These parents also refused take their child to the doctors. This story cleary has NOTHING to do with veganism and everything to do with useless parents. If they didn't want a child they should have aborted it while they had the chance.

  3. #3
    I can't find my pants mirona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UMASS, Amherst/ Swick, MA
    My Bikes
    07 Specialized Langster Comp,06 Kona King Zing, 06 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; 03 LOOK KG461;(destroyed by suv); 85 Panasonic Team America; 73 Peugeot U0-8; 94 Balance Super B BMX; 04 Diamondback Outlook MTB, Diamondback DBR DH
    Posts
    2,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdufstuff
    If they didn't want a child they should have aborted it while they had the chance.
    Nah, they should have just aborted themselves in the 60th trimester and rid the world of their stupidity.

  4. #4
    Climbing Above It All BikeWNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Basking in the Sun.
    Posts
    4,146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or give the child up for adoption to people that would love it. I agree it has nothing to do with being vegan.

  5. #5
    so whatcha' want? bigskymacadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,709
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the defendant said toward the end of the clip, "(because they're vegan).. going to jail for no reason".

    the parents are clearly sick in the head. veganism has nothing to do with neglect and is a poor defense.

    i thought maybe the media was pushing the vegan angle, but it's actually the defense.

    sick, sick, sick. poor little baby.

  6. #6
    Chairman of the Bored catatonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
    Posts
    5,828
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just a case of bad parenting.....very bad parenting, as in criminally incompetant.

    Baby Formula or breastmilk, pick one....these people needed to read up on what a proper diet is for a infant.

    I say get them both fixed so they can't reproduce and kill off another baby.
    -------- __@
    ----- _`\<,_
    ---- (*)/ (*)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ring Ring, Ring Ring, the bell went Ring Ring Ring.

  7. #7
    Long-time Curmudgeon DrPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Still here
    Posts
    17,387
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm very surprised that the media is mentioning that the parents are vegan at all. Is it because that was the parents' "defense?"

    Either way, it's ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I'm an omnivore, but this just seems like a terribly unfounded/ignorant shot at people with other-than-mainstream ideas that's drawing attention away from the egregious failures of parents to either provide for their child or get help in doing so.

    So sad.
    "Unless he was racing there was no way he could match my speed."

  8. #8
    Tiocfáidh ár Lá jfmckenna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    The edge of b#
    My Bikes
    A whole bunch-a bikes.
    Posts
    5,385
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPete
    I'm very surprised that the media is mentioning that the parents are vegan at all. Is it because that was the parents' "defense?"

    Either way, it's ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I'm an omnivore, but this just seems like a terribly unfounded/ignorant shot at people with other-than-mainstream ideas that's drawing attention away from the egregious failures of parents to either provide for their child or get help in doing so.

    So sad.
    DrPete don't ever be surprised at what the media is capable of.

  9. #9
    Spandex Disaster velomedieval's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hillsville
    My Bikes
    Scott Contessa CR1 (2006); Kona Dew Deluxe (2005); Roadmaster Little 500 SS (1997); Peugeot UO10 (1980)
    Posts
    554
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. That's just nuts. Breast milk is absolutely free and the perfect food for a baby. Even if the mother is vegan, her milk is going to provide certain antibodies and other elements that a child that age needs, in addition to adequate calories. The best example I can think of that attests to breast milk's nutritional value is the story of Kati Kim, who kept two children alive (one of them four years old) by nursing them for nine days while they were trapped in their car. I agree with others here: this is negligence and bad parenting, not a dietary issue.

  10. #10
    Long-time Curmudgeon DrPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Still here
    Posts
    17,387
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jfmckenna
    DrPete don't ever be surprised at what the media is capable of.
    I suppose I should know better, especially considering the media portrayal of my current duty station (Walter Reed)...
    "Unless he was racing there was no way he could match my speed."

  11. #11
    The Guadfather Lecterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fart Worth
    My Bikes
    Trek, Centurion, Kuwahara coming soon
    Posts
    1,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPete
    So I saw this story about a couple who starved their 6-week-old child to death. Sad, sad story - the kid weighed 3 1/2 pounds when he died. The couple were actually charged with murder, and I'm not sure what the sentence will end up being.

    The CNN story showed a pretty good-sized house with a completely bare kitchen save for one bottle of soymilk and ONE dirty baby bottle in the whole house. Sick, sick stuff. But the parents hardly looked malnourished, so clearly they were getting food somewhere.

    The media seem to be making a big deal of the fact that the parents are Vegan, and I just don't get how/why that's important. The father made some statement about how they believed they were being sent to jail for being vegan, which makes me think they didn't even grasp that they killed their child. It would seem that this poor child would've starved to death no matter what the food was, because he clearly wasn't getting enough of it.

    So Vegans, please educate me--Is there a "good" vegan diet for raising a baby? I have to believe there is but just don't know enough about it. What's the verdict on human milk?

    Pete,

    Vegan here. These people are clearly idiots. Any correlation between them being vegans and abusing their child is purely an exceptional issue. The dad sounds like some sort of extreme mental case who is using his veganism as justification for abuse of his child. Sick man, just sick.

    All vegan parents we know (which are many, including ourselves) are very aware and conscious about the health and well being of our children.

    I would not hesitate to say that you would find a higher percentage of parents that are not vegan who abuse their children than those who are vegan.

    It's just a really sad story all around.

    As far as human milk. Most vegan babies are breastfed.

    In the general sceme of things, the normal belief of vegans is that we do not consumer products from other animals, thus human milk is fine. (So technically we vegans can eat other people and it's not against the rules. Maybe that's why my name is Lecterman
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. Its free, and only takes 27 seconds!
    Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    "Minor bun engine, made Benny Lava!!!"

  12. #12
    Mmmmm potatoes idcruiserman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,921
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdufstuff
    If they didn't want a child they should have aborted it while they had the chance.
    They did. Just took a little longer. May they rot in hell.
    Idaho

  13. #13
    Chief Slacking Officer ms.gio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The City by the Lake
    My Bikes
    Fuji Track SE, Cannondale R300
    Posts
    189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The poor baby. How could they have done that to a defenseless child? Couldn't they have noticed that "Hey, our baby doesn't look healthy. I think we should do something." It was their own child for heaven's sake.
    Quote Originally Posted by x136 View Post
    Giolander: There can be only one.
    Giodome: Several impostors enter, only the real one leaves?

  14. #14
    i read this at work dblock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    LI, New York
    My Bikes
    IRO BFSSFG group buy, 2007 tommaso trascinare road
    Posts
    334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they're idiots? there's a website that provides a lot of information of raising babies from prenatal to adolescent and a huge number of doctors (vegan and omni alike) that think there is nothing detrimental to raising children that way. i dunno the website offhand if i find it i'll post it up

  15. #15
    Chief Slacking Officer ms.gio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The City by the Lake
    My Bikes
    Fuji Track SE, Cannondale R300
    Posts
    189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dblock
    they're idiots? there's a website that provides a lot of information of raising babies from prenatal to adolescent and a huge number of doctors (vegan and omni alike) that think there is nothing detrimental to raising children that way. i dunno the website offhand if i find it i'll post it up
    Good answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by x136 View Post
    Giolander: There can be only one.
    Giodome: Several impostors enter, only the real one leaves?

  16. #16
    Senior Member skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    CO Springs, CO
    My Bikes
    08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic
    Posts
    1,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dblock
    they're idiots?
    Yeah, they're idiots. Vegan, pagan, omni whatever. They neglected their kid and let it die. Maybe they're not idiots; that's too good a word for them. If you're questioning whether they were idiots, then maybe you're the idiot for even appearing to take their side. As you pointed out, there's no reason whatsoever that this kid should have died!

    On a side note, in high school, there were a couple of teachers who were vegitarians/vegans - not sure which - but decided their dogs should be that way, too. We all thought that was pretty dumb and eventually the dogs died, after I graduated. They were pretty scrawny with very obvious ribs showing while I was there. I can't say if this was because they were veggies or just neglectful, but I do know their dogs health was pointed out to them and they brushed it off as "their business".
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    2010 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
    Posts
    1,329
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPete
    I'm very surprised that the media is mentioning that the parents are vegan at all. Is it because that was the parents' "defense?"

    Either way, it's ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I'm an omnivore, but this just seems like a terribly unfounded/ignorant shot at people with other-than-mainstream ideas that's drawing attention away from the egregious failures of parents to either provide for their child or get help in doing so.

    So sad.
    In this case, pehaps the idiot, pathetic, imbecilic, parents thought that "VEGAN" meant abstaining from all animal products--INCLUDING human milk?

    As is firmly believed around this house--all too many people are all too stupid. . .
    I . . can . . . doooo . . . it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •