Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-04-07, 05:42 PM   #1
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel
Thread Starter
 
cuda2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allen, TX
Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Schwinn Crosscut, All-City Space Horse
Posts: 11,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Am I right to be mad?

Ok, I'll keep this short and to the point, just the facts:

1) Had surgery to remove moles from my thigh and my right temple on Wed afternoon.

2) My bestfriend and a few other coworkers wanted to get group together to see the primere of Spiderman 3 tonight. Which I was hesitant to agree to and told them I would give the thumbs up/down by Thursday morning.

3) That same friend, one of the other coworkers and I had made plans to get together at my apartment Sat afternoon to hang out for a while.

4) Thrusday morning rolls around and I'm hurting bad. Pain pills are taking the edge off, but lots of things are causing the head to hurt, including loud sounds, and the leg certainly isn't making it easy to get around.

5) I ask my wife to message friend to let him know I don't think I'll be up for making movie. Say I'm sorry, but just won't be ready to go out in a crowd, watch loud movie in theater, and the pain pills have me in a bit of a daze.

6) Friend and coworker (mostly at friend's prompting) proceed to cancel out Saturday's plans just because 'I'm ditching them' Friday night.

Now this is a friend I've known for over a decade, and the Best Man at my wedding for cryin' out loud. The fact he would be immature enough to 'screw me over for Saturday' just because I had to cancel the night before due to medical recovery. He can be a bit 'all about him' at times. But this just takes the cake. I don't know if I should just drop it or what.
cuda2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 05:45 PM   #2
PATH
Opus
 
PATH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North of City
Bikes: Bianchi Cross Concept, Bianchi Axis, Specialized Crosstrail, Specialized Roubaix, Miyata Sportsrunner, Trek T1 Track Bike, Specialized CrossTrail Expert, Specialized Tricross Comp Triple
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe they figure you will still be in pain the next night. Don't read too much into it. As things go it is really not on the top of the list is it? Sit home with the wife and enjoy a quiet Saturday night at home. Life is good! Let it go.
__________________
Go raibh an chóir ghaoithe i gcónaí liom!

2007 Specialized Tricross Comp Triple, 2007 Trek T1, 2006 Specialized Roubaix
2006 Bianchi Cross Concept, 1989 Miyata Sportrunner, 2006 Bianchi Axis, 2008 Specialized Crosstrail Expert







Lullaby Of Foo

Now I lay me down to sleep
Keep my bike safe from the bicycle thief
Keep my tootsies toasty warm
keep my carbon from any harm

Good Night Road Bike
Good Night Moutain Bike
Good night all you Foosters
And good night Moon
PATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 05:50 PM   #3
-VELOCITY-
Senior Member
 
-VELOCITY-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Miami, Florida
Bikes: Giant Revel 2 & Loco Fixie "The Marley"
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah that's true. Maybe he just feels that it'll be in your best interest.
-VELOCITY- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 05:52 PM   #4
cydewaze
Emondafied
 
cydewaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Maryland
Bikes: See sig
Posts: 4,792
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
That would annoy me too. It almost reminds me of when I broke my leg and was in a cast, and how suddenly almost all of my "friends" found their way onto the endangered species list.

Call everyone else and tell them Saturday is still on, with or without your "friend".
__________________

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
cydewaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 06:12 PM   #5
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel
Thread Starter
 
cuda2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allen, TX
Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Schwinn Crosscut, All-City Space Horse
Posts: 11,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
He made it quite clear that he felt I was ditching him tonight and in return he was canceling on Saturday to be some how 'even'. The whole reason I wanted them to come over Saturday was because I was afraid I wouldn't be up to going out yet and still wanted to hang out with them some outside of work. Guess he doesn't see it that way.

In any case, it was just going to be 2 guys coming over, get my mind off the fact I'm not able to ride at all right now and missing out on a good part of the best riding weather of the year. I just can't believe he has the thought that I'm purposely bailing on him. Suppose that's what really irks me right now. As it is I'm probably doing too much on my leg. The two incisions I had last week are showing some minor bleeding since the last time I'd cleaned them Wed night. Being packed in a theater and having people trying to squeeze by me to get to seats all night is not my idea of a good time right now.

Anyways, I'll get over it. Not the first time he's been a stubborn ***. He's the reason I ate alone for lunch before my wedding. He wanted to wait an hour for a table at a restaurant, I didn't have that kind of time to burn. But that's in the past and try not to old it against him.
cuda2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 07:15 PM   #6
Ritehsedad
Tail End Charlie
 
Ritehsedad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Maine, The Way Life Should Be
Bikes: Fuji Nevada MTB, Giant OCR1
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That sucks cuda

I hope you heal soon so you can ride like you want.
__________________
Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one?
Ritehsedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 07:17 PM   #7
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RTell him he's being a yutz and a pud and you expect better of him!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda2k
He made it quite clear that he felt I was ditching him tonight and in return he was canceling on Saturday to be some how 'even'. The whole reason I wanted them to come over Saturday was because I was afraid I wouldn't be up to going out yet and still wanted to hang out with them some outside of work. Guess he doesn't see it that way.

In any case, it was just going to be 2 guys coming over, get my mind off the fact I'm not able to ride at all right now and missing out on a good part of the best riding weather of the year. I just can't believe he has the thought that I'm purposely bailing on him. Suppose that's what really irks me right now. As it is I'm probably doing too much on my leg. The two incisions I had last week are showing some minor bleeding since the last time I'd cleaned them Wed night. Being packed in a theater and having people trying to squeeze by me to get to seats all night is not my idea of a good time right now.

Anyways, I'll get over it. Not the first time he's been a stubborn ***. He's the reason I ate alone for lunch before my wedding. He wanted to wait an hour for a table at a restaurant, I didn't have that kind of time to burn. But that's in the past and try not to old it against him.
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 07:40 PM   #8
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Note to self: Try not to bail out on Cuda ever again!



JK Ya'll it wasn't me, but I know who it is!

I am going to go to the dudes house and toss Expldoy Pup through a window with a mean note tied around his neck.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 08:26 PM   #9
donnamb 
tired
 
donnamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
Posts: 5,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
RTell him he's being a yutz and a pud and you expect better of him!
Yes, but do it when you're feeling better, Cuda. When you're feeling lousy is not the time to be telling a good friend that he bummed you out. Do it when you're not in pain/discomfort, and you're less likely to say something you might later regret.
__________________
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
donnamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 08:31 PM   #10
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Better yet, take three pain pills and tell him stuff that even you did not know you were mad about! BTW, I am seriously lacking in the people skills arena as you well know, so most, if not all of my advice should be immediately discarded.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 09:11 PM   #11
Lecterman
The Guadfather
 
Lecterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Fart Worth
Bikes: Trek, Centurion, Kuwahara coming soon
Posts: 1,090
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just take some Vicodin and combine it with some Tito's, and you'll forget all about it

Sorry to hear your friend is being an ass. He'll get over it, and so will you. Give it a while to cool down. You'll patch it up.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. Its free, and only takes 27 seconds!
Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
"Minor bun engine, made Benny Lava!!!"
Lecterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 10:00 PM   #12
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel
Thread Starter
 
cuda2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allen, TX
Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Schwinn Crosscut, All-City Space Horse
Posts: 11,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks all. I signed off for a bit and when I got back online saw I had an email from him. It was more of the same BS. I emailed back basically stating my stance on the situation and that I wasn't going to hold it against him (or least least I'm going to try not to), but made it clear I didn't appriciate the way he was acting.

It's been a rough 4-5 months for me, and all this surgery is just the latest thing on my plate that's got me beat down. Being completely off the bike is the last thing I needed at the beginning of this summer. And to have a friend act this way really was a deep cut. In any case, thanks for the replies, ya'll are great.
cuda2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 10:52 PM   #13
DirtPedalerB
unofficial roadie
 
DirtPedalerB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Out in the woods you see
Bikes: 2004 Marin bobcat trail, 2006 trek fuel ex7, 2007 iron horse road bike
Posts: 1,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
send hiim pictures of you holding a hammer and 2 handguns that'll scare him
DirtPedalerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-07, 12:08 AM   #14
Seamless
Peddler
 
Seamless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior 800 & H400
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You just don't feel like running around when you're out of sorts. No big deal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg knight.jpg (3.8 KB, 10 views)
Seamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-07, 12:19 AM   #15
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It sounds to me like your friend is really immature. We all have friends from the 'old days' whom we have grown in different ways from. He's still your buddy even if he's acting like a knucklehead from high school. Realize this, move on from being angry at him, and continue to be good friends. I'm sure he'll have his day to be angry with you.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-07, 12:39 AM   #16
Nicodemus
Feral Member
 
Nicodemus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Roma, Italia
Bikes: yes, I have one.
Posts: 2,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What's being a bit 'all about him' exactly? I'm just curious if he's an ass generally or if he's got a specific bugbear against you. His behaviour is downright nancy passive-aggressive childish retributive narkery.

Your response to him was just right. Now donna's right, rest up for now and I think you're best seriously confronting him again when you're feeling better, in the same manner you already have. Since he's a good friend thus knows of the crap you've been dealing with, it really seems like he's trying to actively be a jerkoff. Or at the very least cluelessly selfish and inconsiderate. That's not the kind of support you need from a friend. I wonder if maybe after some time, one realizes that some people move on in better directions than others?

Don't let others' asshattery get you down. They'll get their own. Death to the moles.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
Did you just say "minarchist?" I'm going to start a 10-page vaginathon because only Libertarians can define Libertarianism. Also, you're mean.
Nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-07, 12:59 AM   #17
Nicodemus
Feral Member
 
Nicodemus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Roma, Italia
Bikes: yes, I have one.
Posts: 2,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I was just sitting here picturing your scenario in my life, with my friends. I struggled seeing that ever happening. When I finally saw it I was quite taken aback. Sorry to say, but your friend is a jerk. I don't know how entangled or close your lives all are, but I think about how much one's peers and surroundings form the basis of normality, and how beneficial it can be to expand one's range of cohorts in order to engage better people in more positive and loving ways. I wonder if it might be something for you to ponder.

Rest easy. My condolences on the not riding. I understand all too well how frustrating and depressing it is.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
Did you just say "minarchist?" I'm going to start a 10-page vaginathon because only Libertarians can define Libertarianism. Also, you're mean.
Nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-07, 09:19 AM   #18
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel
Thread Starter
 
cuda2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allen, TX
Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Schwinn Crosscut, All-City Space Horse
Posts: 11,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the insight all, esp you Nicodemus. Unfortunately - I work with him - so there's no real way to distance myself for a week or two to cool down. I'm feeling better this morning for the most part. Got a good solid 9hrs of sleep last night which I really needed. Woke up with just a little discomfort from the incisions and will hopefully be off the heavy pain meds and just on some over the counter stuff by the afternoon.

Also, barring any unforseen events, I should have my new frame back from the painter's in about 27 hrs. Which I am most certainly looking forward to. Other than the paying for the job thing. But it should be well worth the cost.
cuda2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-07, 10:51 AM   #19
Devil_Woman
Senior Member
 
Devil_Woman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cuda2k: You're the bigger person by doing it the way you did. Take care and get better.
__________________
Devil_Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-07, 11:18 AM   #20
Minesbroken
It is what it is...
 
Minesbroken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Long Island NY
Bikes: Trek 6500 w/ stuff
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
at least they were moles and not squirrels
__________________
sign here so we can do stuff to your stuff...

myspace
myplace
my bike
Minesbroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-07, 05:59 PM   #21
Mr. Gear Jammer
Senior Member
 
Mr. Gear Jammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda2k
Ok, I'll keep this short and to the point, just the facts:

1) Had surgery to remove moles from my thigh and my right temple on Wed afternoon.

2) My bestfriend and a few other coworkers wanted to get group together to see the primere of Spiderman 3 tonight. Which I was hesitant to agree to and told them I would give the thumbs up/down by Thursday morning.

3) That same friend, one of the other coworkers and I had made plans to get together at my apartment Sat afternoon to hang out for a while.

4) Thrusday morning rolls around and I'm hurting bad. Pain pills are taking the edge off, but lots of things are causing the head to hurt, including loud sounds, and the leg certainly isn't making it easy to get around.

5) I ask my wife to message friend to let him know I don't think I'll be up for making movie. Say I'm sorry, but just won't be ready to go out in a crowd, watch loud movie in theater, and the pain pills have me in a bit of a daze.

6) Friend and coworker (mostly at friend's prompting) proceed to cancel out Saturday's plans just because 'I'm ditching them' Friday night.

Now this is a friend I've known for over a decade, and the Best Man at my wedding for cryin' out loud. The fact he would be immature enough to 'screw me over for Saturday' just because I had to cancel the night before due to medical recovery. He can be a bit 'all about him' at times. But this just takes the cake. I don't know if I should just drop it or what.
You have right, i have been in that situation before telling a friend i was sick and tired. That friend did not take that very well for some odd rason.
Mr. Gear Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-07, 06:09 PM   #22
blonduathlongrl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 4,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first reaction is that I thought he just assumed you wouldnt be able to make it on Sat so he prematurly cancelled the plans..
it hurts because you are good friend with him, we always get more hurt when it concerns people we usually have feelings for ( friends).
Id just casually bring it up but dont jump to conclusions too fast.
blonduathlongrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-07, 06:18 PM   #23
Mr. Gear Jammer
Senior Member
 
Mr. Gear Jammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blonduathlongrl
My first reaction is that I thought he just assumed you wouldnt be able to make it on Sat so he prematurly cancelled the plans..
it hurts because you are good friend with him, we always get more hurt when it concerns people we usually have feelings for ( friends).
Id just casually bring it up but dont jump to conclusions too fast.

Good advice there, being mad or agressive at em could make matters worse.
Mr. Gear Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-07, 07:03 PM   #24
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
These guys sound like a couple of ****** bags... drop em.
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-07, 07:07 PM   #25
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel
Thread Starter
 
cuda2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allen, TX
Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Schwinn Crosscut, All-City Space Horse
Posts: 11,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blonduathlongrl
My first reaction is that I thought he just assumed you wouldnt be able to make it on Sat so he prematurly cancelled the plans..
it hurts because you are good friend with him, we always get more hurt when it concerns people we usually have feelings for ( friends).
Id just casually bring it up but dont jump to conclusions too fast.
I really wish this was the case. But it was quite apparent from the conversation I've had that wasn't the case. Guess I've learned that he's still got a fair bit of maturing to do. Oh well.
cuda2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:37 AM.