Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    euroNASTY EURO-TRASH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mol, Belguim/San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    jamis dakar xlt 2.0, scott cr1 pro, 68' legnano roma olympiade
    Posts
    134
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    HELP! i need to quit chewing!

    alright heres the deal. im a road racer and have spent a lot of time in europe, where i learned the habit of chewing tobacco. i was not a fan of american chew but fell in love with snoos from sweden, its wetter and you place it in your upper lip. anyway its the same as the **** here like copenhagen or whatever. ive been ordering it online from scandinavia for a bunch of $$$$$ and thats not good. i need to quit, its not good for me and it costs a lot of money.

    any success stories of quiting chewing/smoking. what works the best? patch, gum, cold-turkey??

    i need to kick this habit because it sucks riding 100miles with a mouth full of tobacco, im extremely addicted. HELP!!
    rule #1 of eurotrash cyclists- WHILE ON A BIKE WHITE SHOES ARE A MUST

  2. #2
    ★ ★ ★
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    start smoking. everyone i know who wanted to quit smoking took up chewing, so i'm sure the inverse would work.

  3. #3
    euroNASTY EURO-TRASH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mol, Belguim/San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    jamis dakar xlt 2.0, scott cr1 pro, 68' legnano roma olympiade
    Posts
    134
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3MTA3
    start smoking. everyone i know who wanted to quit smoking took up chewing, so i'm sure the inverse would work.
    unlike smoking chewing doesnt screw up your lungs... i dont think the racing would go so hot after smoking... haha thanks though
    rule #1 of eurotrash cyclists- WHILE ON A BIKE WHITE SHOES ARE A MUST

  4. #4
    ★ ★ ★
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to be honest, find something that someone else wants to quit/ change in their life & have a pseudo-competiton. i find that whenever i have at least a friendly bet with someone about something i end up going the distance. case in point: i had a "hair-off" with 2 friends in high school. last one to cut their hair won. i won & kept going for 6 months after the last person cut their hair. it got very long & was a hit with the ladies (seriously).

  5. #5
    pj7
    pj7 is offline
    On Sabbatical
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Start using that beef jerkey dip that comes in little round cans. It'll help you with the physical part of stopping.
    As for the addictive and mental part, get some sort of nic-patch or something.

    Personally, I like to chew
    and smoke my pipes
    and smoke cigarettes
    and drink
    and generally just raise hell

    But I'm an old hillbilly and can get away with it.
    I am a sig Virus. Please put me in your sig so that I can continue to replicate.

  6. #6
    Feral Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Roma, Italia
    My Bikes
    yes, I have one.
    Posts
    2,645
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inspiration, cold turkey, change of habits/routine, determination, love of yourself.

    Picture yourself in 20/30/40 years with/without stopping. Check out pictures of gum cancer if the shock treatment has any effect on you. But most of all, just try and picture what you want your future to be like and resolve to achieve it.

    I trust you believe in the ethos that if you want something you have to go and get it? What do you want? You got the cojones to go get it?

    I just quit myself. I had the luck of inspiration along with a weird combination of other personal factors somehow magically coalescing at the same time to give me the drive to just do it. Hope you find what works for you, good luck.
    Last edited by Nicodemus; 05-05-07 at 03:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
    Did you just say "minarchist?" I'm going to start a 10-page vaginathon because only Libertarians can define Libertarianism. Also, you're mean.

  7. #7
    euroNASTY EURO-TRASH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mol, Belguim/San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    jamis dakar xlt 2.0, scott cr1 pro, 68' legnano roma olympiade
    Posts
    134
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the advice dudes... i currently have a chaw in my lip reading this...****ty huh. well im gonna try a combo of all your suggestions to quit this ****. thanks, see ya on the road or trails
    rule #1 of eurotrash cyclists- WHILE ON A BIKE WHITE SHOES ARE A MUST

  8. #8
    Seņor Member USAZorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    My Bikes
    1954 Hetchins M.O., 1959 Viking Severn Valley, 1970 Raleigh Pro, 1972 Fuji "The Finest", 1974 Raleigh Superbe&Comp, 1976 Raleigh Team Pro, 1994 Trek 830 MTB, 2000 Bob Jackson Arrowhead, Unicycle
    Posts
    13,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need some else's success story to motivate you, or reassure you that it can be done. You're going to let some cut-up leaves defeat you?
    The search for inner peace continues...

  9. #9
    Shreddin' heaven on his 20" the wonginator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    markham, ontario, canada aka chinatown north
    Posts
    1,151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    get gum. that big-league chew stuff is meant to look like chew, and i like chewing it, it stays soft unlike the little pellet gums now.

  10. #10
    The Guadfather Lecterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fart Worth
    My Bikes
    Trek, Centurion, Kuwahara coming soon
    Posts
    1,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at this <Warning Graphic>.

    This is where you may be headed it you don't stop.

    I hope for your sake you are able to stop. That stuff can really tear you up.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. Its free, and only takes 27 seconds!
    Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    "Minor bun engine, made Benny Lava!!!"

  11. #11
    the actual el guapo atomship47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    midwest
    My Bikes
    '06 trek 7300, '05 db wildwood, '07 felt z35
    Posts
    1,035
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oral fixation.

    replace one with another





    like heroin addicts with methadone.
    Compatibility:

    Your exact opposite is the Televangelist.

    Other personalities you would probably get along with are the Capitalist Pig, the Smartass, and the Sociopath.

  12. #12
    proud of his bunny Zinn-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UCSC
    My Bikes
    2006 Masi Gran Corsa Premio custom build: Full 105, Easton EC70 fork, Easton Circuit Wheelset // 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper (stock for now)
    Posts
    885
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea start chewing on something else. apart from that, stop being such a wuss (none taken) and quit the habit. cold turkey. the only way to fly.
    "I'll probably stomp you into the ground. I'm 6'4", 250, work out everyday, and have an extremely bad attitude." -ovrrdrive (aka. Captain Carnage)

  13. #13
    Jewish Media Conspirator asherlighn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Maine
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, IRO Jamie Roy, Felt F75, and an old GT mountain bike
    Posts
    921
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinn-X
    yea start chewing on something else. apart from that, stop being such a wuss (none taken) and quit the habit. cold turkey. the only way to fly.
    +1. When I got out of the Army I was smoking half a pack a day. I tried a few different assisted quitting methods and then when they didnt work, I just said screw it and simply decided I was not going to smoke another cigarette again. It hurt, and no one wanted to be around me for about two weeks, but it was completely my triumph and I think that is the reason I havent started again. If I had used some assisted quitting method and it was easy, there would be little incentive to not bum a smoke or two from people when Im drinking and get hooked again.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutret
    The fact is that most peoples sense of what rides well is easily overcome by their sense of what looks cool.

  14. #14
    Perineal Pressurized dobber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In Ebritated
    Posts
    6,556
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used Skoal for almost 20 years. I remember the days of buy entire sleeves for less than $10. I use to eat, drink and sometimes fall asleep with a pinch between the cheek and gum. It got to the point that I'd have dip in first thing in the morning and spit it out before bed. I'd have cans stashed at work, my truck, home.

    I knew it wasn't healthy but I was addicted. I'd quit for a couple months but somebody would pop a can open and the smell was overwhelming (I still avoid the tobacco aisles in stores).

    Two things that helped me finally quit

    Not for the squeamish, graphic depictions of Oral Cancer


    http://www.eatmint.com/

    Looking a photos of what could happen as a result of oral cancer scared the living **** out of me. Chewing was the equivalent of Russian Roulette.

    I did start out by cutting my mint snuff with some Skoal, it helped ease the withdrawl. I stopped cutting after about two weeks, spent another couple months on just mint.

    I've been clean for three years, I still occasionally dip the mint though.
    Last edited by dobber; 05-05-07 at 08:13 AM.
    This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.

  15. #15
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,082
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I dipped snuff from sixth grade until my early thirties (1977ish until 1997). I made my wife a promise that when we bought a house I would quit. As soon as the moving van was loaded, I threw away my Copenhagen and have not touched it since. It was hard, very hard to be truthful, as like you I associated the act with certain things. Going to sporting events, etc. To this day I still get micro cravings triggered by doing certain activities, but they are easily squelched.


    So I guess my advice is set an attainable goal for yourself and the reward for achieving that goal is stopping tobacco use. It worked for me. Hope it works for you. PM me if you need encouragement.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  16. #16
    Jewish Media Conspirator asherlighn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Maine
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, IRO Jamie Roy, Felt F75, and an old GT mountain bike
    Posts
    921
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr
    I dipped snuff from sixth grade until my early thirties (1977ish until 1997). I made my wife a promise that when we bought a house I would quit. As soon as the moving van was loaded, I threw away my Copenhagen and have not touched it since. It was hard, very hard to be truthful, as like you I associated the act with certain things. Going to sporting events, etc. To this day I still get micro cravings triggered by doing certain activities, but they are easily squelched.


    So I guess my advice is set an attainable goal for yourself and the reward for achieving that goal is stopping tobacco use. It worked for me. Hope it works for you. PM me if you need encouragement.
    Wow thats a great idea. A lot of my friends are trying to quit smokes now and maybe have them view quitting as a reward rather than a painful experience would help. Thakns for that perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutret
    The fact is that most peoples sense of what rides well is easily overcome by their sense of what looks cool.

  17. #17
    But on the road more MTBLover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe '07
    Posts
    863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asherlighn
    Wow thats a great idea. A lot of my friends are trying to quit smokes now and maybe have them view quitting as a reward rather than a painful experience would help. Thakns for that perspective.

    Yeah- that works. Sometimnes something really personal helps too.

    I quit 26 years ago- two packs/day for about 13 years. My thing was I had just walked out of my dad's funeral- he died from complications of emphysema (and that's NOT pretty). I pulled a half-empty pack from my pocket, crushed it, shoved it in a trash can outside the church and that was it. The next several months were absolute hell for me, and my wife, bless her . But I haven't had a smoke since then, unless you count the second-hand smoke that so many people seem to be willing to share .

    Anyway, Euro- one thing that really helps is constantly reminding yourself that you're now a non-user. Keep yourself in that zone, and answering the question "why shouldn't iI go for a little dip right now?" will be easier. Best of luck- we're pulling for ya!

  18. #18
    Shreddin' heaven on his 20" the wonginator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    markham, ontario, canada aka chinatown north
    Posts
    1,151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i need help to quit smoking...

  19. #19
    Perineal Pressurized dobber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In Ebritated
    Posts
    6,556
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asherlighn
    Wow thats a great idea. A lot of my friends are trying to quit smokes now and maybe have them view quitting as a reward rather than a painful experience would help. Thakns for that perspective.

    Just saving $4-$5 a day in cost would be enough for me. Probably close to $1000 a year. Think of it in bike part purchases.
    This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.

  20. #20
    austropithicus
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by EURO-TRASH
    alright heres the deal. im a road racer and have spent a lot of time in europe, where i learned the habit of chewing tobacco. i was not a fan of american chew but fell in love with snoos from sweden, its wetter and you place it in your upper lip. anyway its the same as the **** here like copenhagen or whatever. ive been ordering it online from scandinavia for a bunch of $$$$$ and thats not good. i need to quit, its not good for me and it costs a lot of money.

    any success stories of quiting chewing/smoking. what works the best? patch, gum, cold-turkey??

    i need to kick this habit because it sucks riding 100miles with a mouth full of tobacco, im extremely addicted. HELP!!
    Swallow the chew. It made me so sick that I couldn't touch the stuff again.

  21. #21
    austropithicus
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by the wonginator
    i need help to quit smoking...
    I quit smoking by replacing it with chewing tobbaco. Yes, I'm very wise, indeed.

  22. #22
    ... . Tmax1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    ...out there.
    My Bikes
    IF, Litespeed, Bianchi, Fisher, Dahon, Schwinn, Burley
    Posts
    453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the wonginator
    i need help to quit smoking...
    +1

  23. #23
    austropithicus
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmax1
    +1
    I quit with the help of a cassette tape. I don't remember the name of the program but the major points were these.

    1. Decide the day that you will quit. Pick a day that is at least a week or two in the future.

    2. On the last three days of your smoking timetable, force yourself to smoke even when you don't want one. This does two things: 1. Puts you in charge of when you smoke and not your cravings. 2. Makes you sick of cigs because you are smoking twice as many as you usually would.

    3. Once you have hit the cold-turkey period, look forward to your cigarette cravings. When the urge to smoke hits you, be happy that you recognize what is happening and that you have the power to not smoke. Don't dread the cig craving, look forward to it with gleeful anticipation.

    This worked for me!

  24. #24
    Jewish Media Conspirator asherlighn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Maine
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, IRO Jamie Roy, Felt F75, and an old GT mountain bike
    Posts
    921
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A tip that helped me a LOT when I quit smoking was to stay off the booze (and for some people lay off the weed) because alcohol increases your nicotine receptors (or something like that) and you are likely to have less impulse control while a bit tipsy. Also if you have been smoking a while it just feels natural to alternate sips with drags. I still sometimes wonder why my right hand feels empty while drinking
    Quote Originally Posted by dutret
    The fact is that most peoples sense of what rides well is easily overcome by their sense of what looks cool.

  25. #25
    Feral Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Roma, Italia
    My Bikes
    yes, I have one.
    Posts
    2,645
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by austropithicus
    I quit with the help of a cassette tape. I don't remember the name of the program but the major points were these.

    1. Decide the day that you will quit. Pick a day that is at least a week or two in the future.

    2. On the last three days of your smoking timetable, force yourself to smoke even when you don't want one. This does two things: 1. Puts you in charge of when you smoke and not your cravings. 2. Makes you sick of cigs because you are smoking twice as many as you usually would.

    3. Once you have hit the cold-turkey period, look forward to your cigarette cravings. When the urge to smoke hits you, be happy that you recognize what is happening and that you have the power to not smoke. Don't dread the cig craving, look forward to it with gleeful anticipation.

    This worked for me!
    wow +10, I LIKE that approach!
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
    Did you just say "minarchist?" I'm going to start a 10-page vaginathon because only Libertarians can define Libertarianism. Also, you're mean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •