Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Foo (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/)
-   -   Cleaning a retainer (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/303878-cleaning-retainer.html)

phantomcow2 05-30-07 01:10 PM

Cleaning a retainer
 
I got my braces off today, It is exciting to feel real teeth. I haven't felt gums for nearly 4 years. But they gave me a retainer, which I know I am supposed to clean.
Does anybody have any suggested methods to clean it? Could I soak it in isopropyl alcohol or hydrogen peroxide? I don't want any of these chemicals to have any sorts of reactions with the plastic or anything.

blonduathlongrl 05-30-07 01:16 PM

you brush it with toothpaste just as your do with your teeth and can put it in mouth wash too.
I know, I have a retainer I wear at night:)

blonduathlongrl 05-30-07 01:18 PM

oh and dont lose it, not wearing it for even less then two days will get your teeth to move again!

phantomcow2 05-30-07 01:18 PM

Could I possibly rinse my mouth with Listerine like a normal day, but with my retainers still in there? Then it would have a minty after taste :). I suppose I'll brush it morning and night as well. I got clear color, no glitter, nothing but pristine clear. I'd like it to stay that way.

sizzam 05-30-07 01:21 PM

Every once in a while I used to use Efferdent (denture cleaner) to clean my retainer. I would just let it soak overnight to get it all minty fresh.

How did your braces removal go, did it hurt? Any 'scars' left on your teeth from where the braces were glued on?

Oh, and congrats :)

Taerom 05-30-07 01:58 PM

I just brushed mine with the toothbrush, and occasionally rinsed it with some cleaner stuff. They told me not to brush it with tooth paste because it would create little scratches which would collect bacteria and junk.

Michigander 05-30-07 02:08 PM

One very important thing, don't eat with it in.

phantomcow2 05-30-07 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sizzam
Every once in a while I used to use Efferdent (denture cleaner) to clean my retainer. I would just let it soak overnight to get it all minty fresh.

How did your braces removal go, did it hurt? Any 'scars' left on your teeth from where the braces were glued on?

Oh, and congrats :)

Not one single 'scar'. No pain at all. The actual removal of the brackets probably took 7 or 8 minutes. The part I didn't like in the least was when they had to grind off the large quantities of cement which was stuck to my teeth. I had to wear safety glasses, and could see clouds of cement dust coming from my mouth. Inevitably, I breathed in that crap. Plus, the grinding action heated up each individual tooth, which is not at all a comfortable feeling. Besides that, it was just X-rays, photographs, and final impressions. Making impressions is a pretty disgusting process anyways, but not uncomfortable.
No pain at all now, I don't see a reason why it would be painful. I've got nothing left on my teeth to force them into some position, which is what the braces do. THe retainer is just a perfect mold of my perfect mouth, so that doesn't hurt at all. In fact, this is one of the few pain free visits I have had, coming from the orthodontist.

I did however have some inflamed gum tissue. Apparently because the braces were forcing plaque against my gums, it did inflame a bit. So, gum tissue is protruding up in between my teeth on a few of them. The ortho lady said it wasn't as bad as most, and that this will go away shortly.

phantomcow2 05-30-07 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michigander
One very important thing, don't eat with it in.

THat would be pretty disgusting, I don't think I will. I had a palatal expander in my mouth for one year, looks a lot like this:
http://www.mashpeeortho.com/images/rpe.jpg
Except that the roof was stainless steel instead of plastic. There a 1/4" gap between the roof of the expander, and roof of my mouth. So I could store snacks in that gap for later :D

Taerom 05-30-07 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michigander
One very important thing, don't eat with it in.

Heh, I never took mine out to eat. :rolleyes: Just rinse it off afterwards.

Mo'Phat 05-30-07 02:19 PM

I use Pedro's or Simple Green.


/bikeforums, not retainerforums.

;)

Michigander 05-30-07 02:22 PM

You're lucky. When I had one of those, the removable kind did not yet exist. Although, I was young enough that that was the first thing I needed, then I had the retainer, and that was it.

Cypress 05-30-07 02:25 PM

Efferdent. Seriously.

Flippin Sweet 05-30-07 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cypress
Efferdent. Seriously.

+1. Hydrogen peroxide doesn't cause a reaction, it works to soak, as well.

Keith99 05-30-07 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blonduathlongrl
you brush it with toothpaste just as your do with your teeth and can put it in mouth wash too.
I know, I have a retainer I wear at night:)

I made the things for several years and you have it right. All you need is a toothbrush and some toothpaste. No big deal.

sweetnsourbkr 05-30-07 03:09 PM

My boss uses retainers. Many times he comes to the break table and takes them off in front of us and puts them on the table. One time, I even picked them up for him because he dropped them. :eek:

sizzam 05-30-07 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetnsourbkr
My boss uses retainers. Many times he comes to the break table and takes them off in front of us and puts them on the table. One time, I even picked them up for him because he dropped them. :eek:

Bonus points if you them put them in your mouth and did an 'oooh, look at me' impersonation of your boss.

monogodo 05-30-07 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blonduathlongrl
oh and dont lose it, not wearing it for even less then two days will get your teeth to move again!

Yeah, I learned that the hard way. I got violently ill a few months after having my braces off, and chose to not wear the retainer for a couple of days because I was making regular runs to the bathroom to vomit. By the time I was healthy again, I could no longer get the retainer to fit. That was 5+ years ago, and now the tooth that had been fixed has shifted out again, but it's not nearly as bad as it was initially.

Luckily, I have a permanent retainer on my lower front teeth. I've only had one issue with it: one of the anchors broke off of the tooth and I had to go 4 days before the orthodontist office reopened to get it fixed.

KingTermite 05-30-07 04:05 PM

Sulphuric Acid?

hi565 05-30-07 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blonduathlongrl
you brush it with toothpaste just as your do with your teeth and can put it in mouth wash too.
I know, I have a retainer I wear at night:)

Ding ding ding, soaking it in alcohol would be just wrong. When you finish brushing your teeth just put a little bit of toothpaste on your tooth brush, wet the retainer, and scrub. It doesn't take too much effort.

Mr. Gear Jammer 05-30-07 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phantomcow2
I got my braces off today, It is exciting to feel real teeth. I haven't felt gums for nearly 4 years. But they gave me a retainer, which I know I am supposed to clean.
Does anybody have any suggested methods to clean it? Could I soak it in isopropyl alcohol or hydrogen peroxide? I don't want any of these chemicals to have any sorts of reactions with the plastic or anything.

I have no freaken idea.

SingingSabre 05-30-07 06:20 PM

Polident once a week for me, brushing once or twice a day, if I remember correctly.

That or shoot mescal before bed.

Ritehsedad 05-30-07 06:20 PM

Good luck with your teeth PC, great you have your braces off!

polara426sh 05-30-07 06:25 PM

I vote for whisky.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:33 AM.