Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-22-07, 03:39 PM   #1
russiankdi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
russiankdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: PA
Bikes: many
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Time to make the decision

So i am a beginner in MTB's and checked out what the LBS has and what i can order. Here is what i am stuck between.The Trek 3700 and 4300 are good bikes,tough, and aren't hard on my wallet. The Gary Fisher Tarpon is pretty nice but has low end components. I checked out some Jamis bikes at another shop, they are a bit lower in quality but still pretty nice. They also had some Raleigh's and Giants, which i read are pure crap. So i am trying to see what will be best, the Trek 3700, 4300 or the Gary Fisher Tarpon. This bike will be used to hit small trails, some jumps, but mostly pavement. I don't want to be bringing the bike back every other week to get it fixed. So anyone have anything to help me out? Any tips or info about these bikes? I am still looking around so if you think something will be better for me please tell me.

P.S Max i will be spending is $400.
__________________
1978 Schwinn Varsity Single Speed
russiankdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-07, 03:43 PM   #2
Cypress
Giving you the business.
 
Cypress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
Bikes: Ridley Noah, Giant Trinity Advanced, Specialized Crux
Posts: 4,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. Giants are nice.

2. Learn how to fix your own bike.

3. Die in a house fire for not putting this in a bike forum, and using up my intrawebnets.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator
Dear Cypress,

You have received an infraction at Bike Forums.
Cypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-07, 03:43 PM   #3
EJ123
'05 NUEser
 
EJ123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a 4300, a 2002 one. I went anywhere from 10-15 miles a day on that bike, and it would handle me doing some jumps and everything.
EJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-07, 03:45 PM   #4
timmhaan
more ape than man
 
timmhaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nyc
Bikes:
Posts: 8,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
not sure you'll get the right answers in foo...maybe try the mountain biking forum? now, if you need relationship advice, computer help, dream analysis, homework answers, or just want to post the first things that pops into your head...then foo is for you.
timmhaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-07, 03:45 PM   #5
russiankdi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
russiankdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: PA
Bikes: many
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress
1. Giants are nice.

2. Learn how to fix your own bike.

3. Die in a house fire for not putting this in a bike forum, and using up my intrawebnets.
Learn how to fix my own bike? Excuse me but i restored 2 bikes, both are from 1976. I don't have the tools to work on brand new bikes. May not seem like an expensive bike to you, but to me the investments i make are treated well.I put this in a bike forum, which people say get a used bike. So i know Foo is more friendly, if you don't like me making this thread, then don't bother reading.
__________________
1978 Schwinn Varsity Single Speed
russiankdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-07, 03:48 PM   #6
Cypress
Giving you the business.
 
Cypress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
Bikes: Ridley Noah, Giant Trinity Advanced, Specialized Crux
Posts: 4,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiankdi
Learn how to fix my own bike? Excuse me but i restored 2 bikes, both are from 1976. I don't have the tools to work on brand new bikes. May not seem like an expensive bike to you, but to me the investments i make are treated well.I put this in a bike forum, which people say get a used bike. So i know Foo is more friendly, if you don't like me making this thread, then don't bother reading.

If you restored two bikes, then you should know that it takes a 4mm and a 5mm allen to fix just about ANYTHING on a bike.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator
Dear Cypress,

You have received an infraction at Bike Forums.
Cypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-07, 03:49 PM   #7
russiankdi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
russiankdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: PA
Bikes: many
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress
If you restored two bikes, then you should know that it takes a 4mm and a 5mm allen to fix just about ANYTHING on a bike.
Last time i checked all old components use adjustable wrenches or 10mm wrenches, sometimes even 8mm. You cannot fix ANYTHING on an old bike with just allen wrenches.
__________________
1978 Schwinn Varsity Single Speed
russiankdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-07, 03:54 PM   #8
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ha!!! Just when I mention him in a new "FOOsters who are MIA" thread, he shows up.


Hiya Russiankdi.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-07, 03:55 PM   #9
Cypress
Giving you the business.
 
Cypress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
Bikes: Ridley Noah, Giant Trinity Advanced, Specialized Crux
Posts: 4,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Older bikes are way harder to work on.

I carry a 3/4/5mm allen set attatched to a tire lever in my saddle bag and a spare power link taped to the bottom of my seat. If I break something that these tools cannot fix, something went very wrong.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator
Dear Cypress,

You have received an infraction at Bike Forums.
Cypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-07, 04:00 PM   #10
roughrider504
Senior Member
 
roughrider504's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Orleans
Bikes:
Posts: 1,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Retrogrouch\ Older bikes are easier to work on. Retrogrouch/

But anyways, I would get the Trek 4300. It looked sweet, maby not the yellow though.
roughrider504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-07, 05:04 PM   #11
russiankdi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
russiankdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: PA
Bikes: many
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roughrider504
Retrogrouch\ Older bikes are easier to work on. Retrogrouch/

But anyways, I would get the Trek 4300. It looked sweet, maby not the yellow though.
Actually the yellow looked pretty cool. I am leaning towards the 4300 but we'll see.
__________________
1978 Schwinn Varsity Single Speed
russiankdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-07, 05:05 PM   #12
russiankdi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
russiankdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: PA
Bikes: many
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress
Older bikes are way harder to work on.

I carry a 3/4/5mm allen set attatched to a tire lever in my saddle bag and a spare power link taped to the bottom of my seat. If I break something that these tools cannot fix, something went very wrong.
You need to know older bikes, they are fairly simple IMO.
__________________
1978 Schwinn Varsity Single Speed
russiankdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:08 PM.