Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 85
  1. #1
    Banned. red house's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
    My Bikes
    Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby
    Posts
    5,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    When rednecks attempt to fire really big guns

    Here are some red necks who decided to take a 50 calibre high power ***** (used by 'PROFESSIONAL' military snipers) to the 'backwoods' - to do some shootin an' stuff. Should they even have been allowed to own and operate such a ***? - pls, ask yourself this very important question as you watch the featured presentation.

    enjoy.



    http://www.nothingtoxic.com/media/11...0_BMG_Ricochet



  2. #2
    Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP) Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stunods!

  3. #3
    Dances With Cars TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
    Posts
    10,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HAHAHAHA what a bunch of ultra-maroons.
    Those weapons are nothing to mess around with.

  4. #4
    Spelling Snob Hobartlemagne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    My Bikes
    Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista
    Posts
    2,863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldnt see their necks in the vid. How do you know they are red?

    That looked like a complete chance accident to me- and the caliber of the ***** didn't automatically
    cause a ricochet to occur.

    The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!

  5. #5
    Banned. red house's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
    My Bikes
    Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby
    Posts
    5,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody who manages to shoot themselves while aiming a ***** at a distant object.. is well, 'special.' There's a reason they don't let kids on the short bus carry weapons, ppl.


  6. #6
    Banned. red house's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
    My Bikes
    Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby
    Posts
    5,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobartlemagne
    I couldnt see their necks in the vid. How do you know they are red?
    Well.. my face would be red if that happened to me, -my neck probly too. (No, just kidding - I don't blush really).




    Quote Originally Posted by Hobartlemagne
    That looked like a complete chance accident to me- and the caliber of the ***** didn't automatically
    cause a ricochet to occur.

    I supposed since you are coming to their defense, that maybe it's happened to you too? -?

  7. #7
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,465
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *snicker!*

  8. #8
    Tom (ex)Builder twahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Manassas, VA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez
    Posts
    2,814
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's see...shooting bench, hearing protection, and I think (can't be sure) the guy was wearing glasses. Spectators well behind, in what appears to be the desert. Firing into what looks to be adequate back stop.
    What prompted you to think they are rednecks?

    I think they were seeing if the bullet would penetrate some sort of iron plate, given the "nope, no more iron" comment and the way the bullet came straight back like that from an angled hill face. Maybe that's redneck.
    Tom

    "It hurts so good..."

  9. #9
    Banned. red house's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
    My Bikes
    Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby
    Posts
    5,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twahl
    I think they were seeing if the bullet would penetrate some sort of iron plate, given the "nope, no more iron" comment and the way the bullet came straight back like that from an angled hill face. Maybe that's redneck.

    correct.

  10. #10
    Prefers Cicero cooker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1984 Trek 520; 1990s Peugeot (Canadian-made) rigid mountain bike; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others
    Posts
    8,421
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not being as *** attuned as some of you, what hit him - the slug bouncing back from the impact spot or some rock fragment?

    EDIT...ok seems like the bullet returning from a metal target
    Last edited by cooker; 06-29-07 at 07:58 AM.

  11. #11
    Banned. red house's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
    My Bikes
    Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby
    Posts
    5,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cooker
    Not being as *** attuned as some of you, what hit him - the slug bouncing back from the impact spot or some rock fragment?

    I think that was God.. - back handing that guy like His little red headed step child.

  12. #12
    Senior Member mtnbk3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,072
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what hit him in the face, it didn't look like it hurt him to much?
    hi

  13. #13
    Space for rent! Chad's Colnago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Lincoln NE
    My Bikes
    Colnago Dream B-Stay, Trek Mountain Bike
    Posts
    632
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbk3000
    what hit him in the face, it didn't look like it hurt him to much?
    I heard them say "iron"....a popular hand *** target is a big chunk of lead, or iron. I'm guessing a piece flew off the target and hit him in the face. I've actually seen that happen with hand guns before.
    2008 Cannondale System Six
    2005 Bianchi 928 Lugged
    2003 Colnago Dream B-Stay-----Sold
    1986 Bianchi Campione d' Italia
    Trek Single Track MTB

  14. #14
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,007
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    It was a piece of the target plate that blew back and hit him, from 150 meters!
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  15. #15
    Tom (ex)Builder twahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Manassas, VA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez
    Posts
    2,814
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thought was that the bullet hit whatever the target was, didn't penetrate, and came straight back. That's where the classic western bullet whine came from. That comes from a bullet spinning after it's no longer aerodynamically clean. A chunk from the target may fly back, but it's not going to spin.

    And I think it actually hit his hearing protector.
    Tom

    "It hurts so good..."

  16. #16
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,007
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    All I know is this guy is one of the luckiest guys on the planet that day!
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  17. #17
    Banned. red house's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
    My Bikes
    Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby
    Posts
    5,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He almost got a good bump on the noggin fer sure.

  18. #18
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,007
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by red house
    He almost got a good bump on the noggin fer sure.
    He came close to a hole in the noggin!
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  19. #19
    Dances With Cars TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
    Posts
    10,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's lucky he has a head at all.

  20. #20
    lunatic fringe Dogbait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Miles from Nowhere, Columbia County, OR
    My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Posts
    1,111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is not uncommon to have some blowback when shooting at steel targets. Thousands of people experience this every weekend without injury. It might sting a little or leave a red mark but it rarely draws blood. Steel targets are shot as close as 10 yards using lead bullets up to and including .45 Colt. Shooting a full metal jacket at steel is usually not done, or if it is, the distance is usually in excess of 100 yards. A .50 BMG, either armor piercing or full metal jacket will easily penetrate 2 inches of cold rolled steel at 100 yards... that's what it is designed to do. It leaves a hole in the steel about 3/4" in diameter with the edges peeled back like a banana. I would not be surprised to see metal fragments fly back to the firing point, especially if the target is well used and pock-marked. Such fragments will have lost a lot of velocity and mass and will not cause much damage. Safety glasses will withstand much greater impacts... that's what they're designed to do.

    It's not evident in the video what the target is or what came back. I would guess that it might have been caused by the bullet striking a rock, rather than steel. A .50 BMG would have completely penetrated steel less than 2'' thick and lost too much velocity to return in that amount of time. As it was, it had lost a considerable amount of speed. The bullet went out at about 2000 feet per second, lost some velocity at impact and lost some more when it hit the ground about 10 feet in front of the shooter. Watch it again, you can see the dust kick up.

    While the uninformed (ignorant) might think that this is a catastrophic event, it was not. The shooter was more surprised than hurt. A truly significant hit to the side of the head from a .50 BMG, with or without benefit of a ricochet, would not beg the question, "Are you bleeding?"

    Having Scotch-Irish ancestors from the southeastern United States in in no way relevant to this incident.

  21. #21
    Double Prick marin1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canadian version of Texas
    My Bikes
    Cervelo Carbon Soloist, Cervelo Aluminum Soloist, Cannondale cyclecross
    Posts
    561
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must need that *** to protect his family
    21st Century Living - Matthew Good

  22. #22
    Double Prick marin1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canadian version of Texas
    My Bikes
    Cervelo Carbon Soloist, Cervelo Aluminum Soloist, Cannondale cyclecross
    Posts
    561
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbait
    It is not uncommon to have some blowback when shooting at steel targets. Thousands of people experience this every weekend without injury. It might sting a little or leave a red mark but it rarely draws blood. Steel targets are shot as close as 10 yards using lead bullets up to and including .45 Colt. Shooting a full metal jacket at steel is usually not done, or if it is, the distance is usually in excess of 100 yards. A .50 BMG, either armor piercing or full metal jacket will easily penetrate 2 inches of cold rolled steel at 100 yards... that's what it is designed to do. It leaves a hole in the steel about 3/4" in diameter with the edges peeled back like a banana. I would not be surprised to see metal fragments fly back to the firing point, especially if the target is well used and pock-marked. Such fragments will have lost a lot of velocity and mass and will not cause much damage. Safety glasses will withstand much greater impacts... that's what they're designed to do.

    It's not evident in the video what the target is or what came back. I would guess that it might have been caused by the bullet striking a rock, rather than steel. A .50 BMG would have completely penetrated steel less than 2'' thick and lost too much velocity to return in that amount of time. As it was, it had lost a considerable amount of speed. The bullet went out at about 2000 feet per second, lost some velocity at impact and lost some more when it hit the ground about 10 feet in front of the shooter. Watch it again, you can see the dust kick up.

    While the uninformed (ignorant) might think that this is a catastrophic event, it was not. The shooter was more surprised than hurt. A truly significant hit to the side of the head from a .50 BMG, with or without benefit of a ricochet, would not beg the question, "Are you bleeding?"

    Having Scotch-Irish ancestors from the southeastern United States in in no way relevant to this incident.
    Where are scotch people from?
    21st Century Living - Matthew Good

  23. #23
    (((Fully Awake))) Serendipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper
    My Bikes
    Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!
    Posts
    5,598
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dogbait


    "We're not gonna do that anymore!"
    -Random guy at range



  24. #24
    (((Fully Awake))) Serendipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper
    My Bikes
    Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!
    Posts
    5,598
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marin1
    Where are scotch people from?

    Greene's Package store?

  25. #25
    almost kosher
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    398
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lucky bastige. he can laugh that one off later.

    they should not have a weapon of that calibre for any reason, but maybe the deer in that area are heavily armed. next year he's gonna buy a tank.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •