Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-07, 01:12 PM   #1
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
Thread Starter
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,950
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Why are certain brand riders so stuck up??

TWICE since I've gotten my bike, I've seen Moots owners and said hi or complimented their bikes. TWICE I've gotten a nose turned up to me. Other people are cool with me. Maybe it's because I wasn't in lycra, had the wrong pedals and shoes or didn't "flip it"??? What the heck?? What gives??

Dang roadies.

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 07-08-07 at 01:19 PM.
Siu Blue Wind is offline  
Old 07-08-07, 01:17 PM   #2
BugsInMyTeeth
Banned.
 
BugsInMyTeeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes: 1999 Kona Nunu, 2007 KHS Alite 3000
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
People suck.
BugsInMyTeeth is offline  
Old 07-08-07, 01:18 PM   #3
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist
 
Shifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Road, touring and mountain
Posts: 3,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's not you, it's them Siu. I just let them be knowing I gave them a greeting but they were too snooty to return it, their bad. But, get the lycra together, it's much more comfy on the tushie
Shifty is offline  
Old 07-08-07, 01:19 PM   #4
BugsInMyTeeth
Banned.
 
BugsInMyTeeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes: 1999 Kona Nunu, 2007 KHS Alite 3000
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You'd also be wicked hot in lycra, killer..
BugsInMyTeeth is offline  
Old 07-08-07, 01:26 PM   #5
x136 
phony collective progress
 
x136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Hoosey
Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty
It's not you, it's them Siu.
Exactly. You've offered your greeting and kind words. If they can't can't show a modicum of civility in response, then the hell with them. It's no skin off your nose.

Some people are just dicks. Bike or not.
__________________
x136 is offline  
Old 07-08-07, 01:30 PM   #6
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd
 
georgiaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Morningside - Atlanta
Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1949 Riva Sport
Posts: 1,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, extending well wishes to others without the return sux and tends to sap you of positive energy.

Siu, please take my advice and stop counting. It will only empower the frustration.
__________________
Would you like a dream with that?
georgiaboy is offline  
Old 07-08-07, 02:37 PM   #7
Nicodemus
Feral Member
 
Nicodemus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Roma, Italia
Bikes: yes, I have one.
Posts: 2,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't greet. It's not snobbery, I just don't give a damn.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
Did you just say "minarchist?" I'm going to start a 10-page vaginathon because only Libertarians can define Libertarianism. Also, you're mean.
Nicodemus is offline  
Old 07-08-07, 02:43 PM   #8
mirage1
Bossy Bunny
 
mirage1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Valley of the Sun
Bikes: A comfy little Diamond Wildwood
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
TWICE since I've gotten my bike, I've seen Moots owners and said hi or complimented their bikes. TWICE I've gotten a nose turned up to me. Other people are cool with me. Maybe it's because I wasn't in lycra, had the wrong pedals and shoes or didn't "flip it"??? What the heck?? What gives??

Dang roadies.
I feel this way at work all the time. Except it's just that, as far as I can tell, people are freaking weird. It's an unsettling feeling, though, you wonder what the HECK is wrong with them that they can't muster up even a simple, minimal-energy-expending polite nod of acknowledgment.

Like X said, to hell with 'em.
__________________
Margie

"Assume a virtue, if you have it not." ~ William Shakespeare

This advice is the reason I'm masquerading as an athletic person.
mirage1 is offline  
Old 07-08-07, 02:45 PM   #9
veganaise
toothless
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So if they don't say hi back, they're automatically snobs? How, exactly, does that work?

Am I a car snob because I don't acknowledge other Toyota drivers?
veganaise is offline  
Old 07-08-07, 03:02 PM   #10
Mariner Fan
59'er
 
Mariner Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Alexandria, IN
Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)
Posts: 3,302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll acknowledge other riders but they don't always return my wave. I don't really care.
__________________
Mariner Fan is offline  
Old 07-08-07, 03:05 PM   #11
mirage1
Bossy Bunny
 
mirage1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Valley of the Sun
Bikes: A comfy little Diamond Wildwood
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus
I don't greet. It's not snobbery, I just don't give a damn.
See, that's what it seems to be at my work, too. I don't understand that attitude. Is it physically painful to be friendly, or what?

When you notice that a stranger has just said "Hello" to you or has smiled specifically in your direction, you just...look away? What if it's a stranger but you just almost bumped into them coming through a door; do you share a moment of friendly "Oops!" or do you brush past them like they don't exist? How about cashiers or checkout people? Do you acknowledge their chitchat or just ignore them? What about co-workers/team-members--If you walk into a meeting and someone says "Hi" do you respond to them? What if you saw them on the sidewalk somewhere?

At what point does someone qualify to be acknowledged? I mean, does it go through your brain like, "Do I know that person? No: ignore." Or do they not even register on your consciousness because you're so used to not responding?

Sincere questions, here. I can't talk to these people in the halls at work to ask them, you get to be a surrogate. (I'm prepared for the fact that your not giving a damn will extend to not answering nosy questions from a stranger on the internet.)

Maybe I'm just wired differently because I can't even see someone smiling into the camera on a freaking commercial without smiling back.
__________________
Margie

"Assume a virtue, if you have it not." ~ William Shakespeare

This advice is the reason I'm masquerading as an athletic person.
mirage1 is offline  
Old 07-08-07, 03:11 PM   #12
randya
Senior Member
 
randya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: in bed with your mom
Bikes: who cares?
Posts: 13,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WTF is a 'Moot'???? I'm sure I can live without one so the point is moot.



randya is offline  
Old 07-08-07, 03:12 PM   #13
veganaise
toothless
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage1
Maybe I'm just wired differently because I can't even see someone smiling into the camera on a freaking commercial without smiling back.
That's about it, really. I have no desire to say hi or chit chat with anyone just because they're feeling talkative or are uncomfortable with silence between two people. If they have a problem with me not responding then that's exactly what it is: their problem.
veganaise is offline  
Old 07-08-07, 03:14 PM   #14
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic
 
DrPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9
Posts: 17,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stupid people are stupid.

Maybe they were horrified by the drop in exclusivity of their once-obscure frames.
__________________
"Unless he was racing there was no way he could match my speed."
DrPete is offline  
Old 07-08-07, 03:17 PM   #15
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus
I don't greet. It's not snobbery, I just don't give a damn.
I would agree, Depending on my mood I might just be up to being social. And yes, a wave and a high is social. Sometimes I am in my own head and don't want to be interupted

Same at work and in life. Sometimes my close friends and family just know I am busy doing something in my head, and they know to leave me alone.
Maelstrom is offline  
Old 07-08-07, 03:22 PM   #16
Cypress
Giving you the business.
 
Cypress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
Bikes: Ridley Noah, Giant Trinity Advanced, Specialized Crux
Posts: 4,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are a few Moots guys around here. I've never had more than a 2 word conversation with any single one of them, and none of them seem too crazy about their bikes.

People ask me how I like my LOOK, and I usually reply enthusiastically and I give them a paragraph about what I love. Moots people seem to just shrug and say "it's nice".
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator
Dear Cypress,

You have received an infraction at Bike Forums.
Cypress is offline  
Old 07-08-07, 03:49 PM   #17
randya
Senior Member
 
randya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: in bed with your mom
Bikes: who cares?
Posts: 13,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
since this post is about bikes, it really shouldn't be in foo. someone should move it to the roadie forum so the OCP crowd there can get all worked up about the foo 'I don't give a ***** about your rare and priceless piece of crap bike' 'tude.

randya is offline  
Old 07-08-07, 03:59 PM   #18
Michigander
Senior Member
 
Michigander's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton
Posts: 1,724
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
My Wolverine buddies always think it's funny when I show up on my old steel Schwinn wearing blue jeans and a Camelback, but that doesn't alter the fact I can stomp all over most of them. Just the same, everyone around here is respectful of my fredness. Even people with Seven's and Moots's.

Kali has a general lack of respect for people and their property. Must be a Kali thing.
__________________
Bring back the Sig Test!


(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Michigander is offline  
Old 07-08-07, 04:02 PM   #19
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka
 
StupidlyBrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Central PA
Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed
Posts: 1,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
TWICE since I've gotten my bike, I've seen Moots owners and said hi or complimented their bikes. TWICE I've gotten a nose turned up to me. Other people are cool with me.
Is there something wrong with Moots owners? I don't know any IRL.

Seriously, though. They aren't taking you "seriously". Mostly, it's on them to judge or not judge on sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
had the wrong pedals and
Road or MTB pedals are acceptable for "serious" roadies. Road pedals are better for the job, but it's really a personal issue.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
shoes
Whatever fits your cleats... Road shoes are allowed to be embarassingly ugly.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
didn't "flip it"???
Not at all. That's a BF thing. And not-too-serious, IMHO.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Maybe it's because I wasn't in lycra,
This is the look that makes you appear serious. Right or wrong.

Drop 'em like a hot rock and they'll take you seriously no matter what you're riding or wearing...
StupidlyBrave is offline  
Old 07-08-07, 04:13 PM   #20
BugsInMyTeeth
Banned.
 
BugsInMyTeeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes: 1999 Kona Nunu, 2007 KHS Alite 3000
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidlyBrave

Whatever fits your cleats... Road shoes are allowed to be embarassingly ugly.

Doesn't Siu wear Cons?




Now, it'd be really cool if she screwed cleats into them...
BugsInMyTeeth is offline  
Old 07-08-07, 04:27 PM   #21
donnamb 
tired
 
donnamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
Posts: 5,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Siu, this happens to me every day with the kind of people you describe and my bike isn't even remotely "acceptable" to them. Heck, I get sneers and snubs from them on the light rail train. (If they're so hard core, what the heck are they doing going over the West Hills with their bike on a train? ) Ignore them. We all know why you got the bike you did - and you really needed it. Wear whatever you want, pedal with whatever pedals you feel like using, be social and friendly with others. Just don't count on them. I'm reasonably sure they're far more miserable human beings for the way they treat others. As long as you're you, you'll never be like that.

Now that you've put "Moots" on my personal radar screen, I've seen about 5 of them around town here in the last 2 months. Two of them were being ridden by people in blue jeans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randya
since this post is about bikes, it really shouldn't be in foo. someone should move it to the roadie forum so the OCP crowd there can get all worked up about the foo 'I don't give a ***** about your rare and priceless piece of crap bike' 'tude.
It's also about human nature. You can remove "Moots", "bikes", "pedals", and "lycra" and insert any other status-oriented widget and its accessories in there. The song remains the same.
__________________
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
donnamb is offline  
Old 07-08-07, 04:40 PM   #22
Nicodemus
Feral Member
 
Nicodemus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Roma, Italia
Bikes: yes, I have one.
Posts: 2,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage1
See, that's what it seems to be at my work, too. I don't understand that attitude. Is it physically painful to be friendly, or what?

When you notice that a stranger has just said "Hello" to you or has smiled specifically in your direction, you just...look away? What if it's a stranger but you just almost bumped into them coming through a door; do you share a moment of friendly "Oops!" or do you brush past them like they don't exist? How about cashiers or checkout people? Do you acknowledge their chitchat or just ignore them? What about co-workers/team-members--If you walk into a meeting and someone says "Hi" do you respond to them? What if you saw them on the sidewalk somewhere?

At what point does someone qualify to be acknowledged? I mean, does it go through your brain like, "Do I know that person? No: ignore." Or do they not even register on your consciousness because you're so used to not responding?

Sincere questions, here. I can't talk to these people in the halls at work to ask them, you get to be a surrogate. (I'm prepared for the fact that your not giving a damn will extend to not answering nosy questions from a stranger on the internet.)

Maybe I'm just wired differently because I can't even see someone smiling into the camera on a freaking commercial without smiling back.
You're not comparing like for like. Someone I pass by at work, who can strike up a conversation with me, even if it is just a "hello", is different from a fellow cyclist I see on the road.

I'm not saying I snub anyone, but I don't bother nodding and smiling at every cyclist I see just because they're on a bicycle. And if someone does visibly greet me I'd feel a bit odd not at least acknowledging them. I'm just happy that most don't.

I'm actually very friendly and talkative. I'm just making the point that the whole "ooh a fellow cyclist I better wave and smile!" attitude is tired.

Cycling back home from London yesterday I passed a great number of other cyclists. Not one felt the need to play the meet and greet game, and honestly I'm glad for it. We're just people, like car drivers and pedestrians and all.

I was especially glad that I was overtaking almost every one. I didn't expect that.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
Did you just say "minarchist?" I'm going to start a 10-page vaginathon because only Libertarians can define Libertarianism. Also, you're mean.

Last edited by Nicodemus; 07-08-07 at 04:46 PM.
Nicodemus is offline  
Old 07-08-07, 04:41 PM   #23
pedalMonger
Erectible Member
 
pedalMonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Enroute
Bikes:
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Give 'em a Moot Salute! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av0FLJaeu54
pedalMonger is offline  
Old 07-08-07, 04:50 PM   #24
Moochers_Dad
a blend of wit and charm
 
Moochers_Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Bikes: Serotta Fierte and a 1989 Centurian Prestige (plus, various others)
Posts: 885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some people are just in a bad moot.
__________________
Moochers_Dad is offline  
Old 07-08-07, 04:55 PM   #25
EJ123
'05 NUEser
 
EJ123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heh. I love the folks driving their convertable old souped up cars, or new ferraris and all, and everytime theyre at a stop light, they check around to see if anyones looking at their car.
Id like to look at his/hers massive lease on it
EJ123 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:49 AM.