Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-11-07, 08:22 AM   #1
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow
Thread Starter
 
slowandsteady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jersey
Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006
Posts: 5,979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Compartment Syndrome

Anybody have it and did you get a fasciotomy? How long was the recovery time? Yeah, I know I am an idiot for getting medical advice from Foo. But I don't care. Just looking for personal experiences.
slowandsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 08:50 AM   #2
blonduathlongrl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 4,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dont know what it is...blame the second language on that one but Ive just never heard that term.
so what is it?
blonduathlongrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 09:02 AM   #3
Portis
Banned.
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Home alone
Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
Posts: 6,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowandsteady
Anybody have it and did you get a fasciotomy? How long was the recovery time? Yeah, I know I am an idiot for getting medical advice from Foo. But I don't care. Just looking for personal experiences.
It doesn't appear that you are looking for medical advice, I thought you were asking for personal experiences?
Portis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 09:04 AM   #4
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow
Thread Starter
 
slowandsteady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jersey
Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006
Posts: 5,979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blonduathlongrl
I dont know what it is...blame the second language on that one but Ive just never heard that term.
so what is it?

It is when the fascia(connective tissue) surrounding the calf muscle is too tight. When one exercises the muscles become engorged with blood. When the fascia is too tight, the muscle cannot expand and it gets constricted. Blood flow then stops to the foot. The result is pain in the calf, numbness in the foot, and the inability in many cases to continue running. This typically only affects runners. I never have any issues on the bike. But for years I have had this problem. It limits my running to only a few minutes at a time. The pain becomes unbearable and I have to stop until the circulation returns to normal. Stretching aggravates it, and walking only prolongs the agony.

The treatment is usually a fasciotomy where they cut the fascia to allow the muscle to expand normally.

I would really like to get back into running, and if I do, I will need to have something done about the compartment syndrome. Over time, if one ignores it and runs through the pain it can actually damage your muscles by cutting off the blood supply. I am just tired of having to stop every few minutes from the pain in my calves when my lungs say I can continue running.
slowandsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 09:06 AM   #5
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
What causes this?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 09:13 AM   #6
blonduathlongrl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 4,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yicks, doesnt sound too good and it sounds painful, Ive ran for years and glad I never got this!
blonduathlongrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 09:18 AM   #7
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow
Thread Starter
 
slowandsteady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jersey
Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006
Posts: 5,979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
What causes this?

My understanding is that it is congenital. I have always had it. It wasn't much of an issue in HS or College because I was a sprinter. My race would be over(13 seconds to 1 minute) before I got a chance to have circulation issues. I did have issues when I joined cross country in HS to get in shape for track. I could never run more than 1.5 miles (about 10 minutes) without pain. At the time I thought I had cramps. I would actually stop running in every single race until the pain subsided. Somehow I ended up finishing in third place or so. I guess I could have actualy been half way decent if I could have kept running the whole race!
slowandsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 09:19 AM   #8
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow
Thread Starter
 
slowandsteady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jersey
Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006
Posts: 5,979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portis
It doesn't appear that you are looking for medical advice, I thought you were asking for personal experiences?

Yup, just personal experiences.
slowandsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 09:41 AM   #9
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowandsteady
My understanding is that it is congenital. I have always had it. It wasn't much of an issue in HS or College because I was a sprinter. My race would be over(13 seconds to 1 minute) before I got a chance to have circulation issues. I did have issues when I joined cross country in HS to get in shape for track. I could never run more than 1.5 miles (about 10 minutes) without pain. At the time I thought I had cramps. I would actually stop running in every single race until the pain subsided. Somehow I ended up finishing in third place or so. I guess I could have actualy been half way decent if I could have kept running the whole race!
Wow that sounds pretty bad. Are you going to get the surgery soon?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 10:03 AM   #10
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow
Thread Starter
 
slowandsteady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jersey
Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006
Posts: 5,979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Wow that sounds pretty bad. Are you going to get the surgery soon?

Depends on what the sports doctor says. I am not interested in huge gaping wounds. It isn't an issue unless I run, so unless the treatment is relatively minor I will just decide to give up on running. The only pics I see on the internet are horrendous. I won't post it here. You can do a search if you have a strong stomach.
slowandsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 10:51 AM   #11
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowandsteady
Depends on what the sports doctor says. I am not interested in huge gaping wounds. It isn't an issue unless I run, so unless the treatment is relatively minor I will just decide to give up on running. The only pics I see on the internet are horrendous. I won't post it here. You can do a search if you have a strong stomach.
No personal experience, but I will wish you the best and hope you can continue running, as you obviously enjoy it!
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 10:57 AM   #12
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowandsteady
Depends on what the sports doctor says. I am not interested in huge gaping wounds. It isn't an issue unless I run, so unless the treatment is relatively minor I will just decide to give up on running. The only pics I see on the internet are horrendous. I won't post it here. You can do a search if you have a strong stomach.

Blechhh. Just googled. Yeah you are right. YICKS!!

Put it this way. If running wasn't number one to me, I wouldn't have the surgery.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 11:04 AM   #13
Eboo
Chicken farmer!
 
Eboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Palmyra, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just did a quick MEDLINE search on fasciotomies performed on runners/athletes et cet. It's looking good for you since you are currently and have been physically active in the past. On a follow up 19 months after the surgery, 39 out of 46 patients had an "excellent" recovery, ie: they were back to their level of activeness pre-op. To me, 19 months seems like a longish time, but I think that putting up with the current pain you have might be worse.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psydotek View Post
Will they be snackrificed on a roll of sourdough?
Eboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 11:14 AM   #14
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow
Thread Starter
 
slowandsteady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jersey
Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006
Posts: 5,979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboo
I just did a quick MEDLINE search on fasciotomies performed on runners/athletes et cet. It's looking good for you since you are currently and have been physically active in the past. On a follow up 19 months after the surgery, 39 out of 46 patients had an "excellent" recovery, ie: they were back to their level of activeness pre-op. To me, 19 months seems like a longish time, but I think that putting up with the current pain you have might be worse.

19 months IS a long time. I can always just keep riding my bike and my horse for exercise. I am just hoping those pics of fasciotomies are not representative of the treatment for a mild chronic condition caused by running. They treat the more severe acute condition more agressively.
slowandsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 11:20 AM   #15
Eboo
Chicken farmer!
 
Eboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Palmyra, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Keep in mind that the 19 months is the total time of the study/follow up. If your condition is mild, it's entirely possible you would be one of the faster healers. I haven't looked at the pictures yet (because I am a wuss with the weakest stomach EVAR) but 20 cm seems to be the "average" incision made for the surgery. Pershnaps the google pictures are of a more severe condition? (pleasepleaseplease don't make me look at the pictures)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psydotek View Post
Will they be snackrificed on a roll of sourdough?
Eboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:47 PM.