Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Dangerous Ideas

  1. #1
    Jewish Media Conspirator asherlighn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Maine
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, IRO Jamie Roy, Felt F75, and an old GT mountain bike
    Posts
    921
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Dangerous Ideas

    http://www.suntimes.com/news/othervi...nger15.article

    I found this link in a popular economics blog.
    What are your takes on this?

    this is a portion of the article (the examples of dangerous ideas)-

    Do women, on average, have a different profile of aptitudes and emotions than men?

    Were the events in the Bible fictitious -- not just the miracles, but those involving kings and empires?

    Has the state of the environment improved in the last 50 years?

    Do most victims of sexual abuse suffer no lifelong damage?

    Did Native Americans engage in genocide and despoil the landscape?

    Do men have an innate tendency to ****?

    Did the crime rate go down in the 1990s because two decades earlier poor women aborted children who would have been prone to violence?

    Are suicide terrorists well-educated, mentally healthy and morally driven?

    Would the incidence of **** go down if prostitution were legalized?

    Do African-American men have higher levels of testosterone, on average, than white men?

    Is morality just a product of the evolution of our brains, with no inherent reality?

    Would society be better off if heroin and cocaine were legalized?

    Is homosexuality the symptom of an infectious disease?

    Would it be consistent with our moral principles to give parents the option of euthanizing newborns with birth defects that would consign them to a life of pain and disability?

    Do parents have any effect on the character or intelligence of their children?

    Have religions killed a greater proportion of people than Nazism?

    Would damage from terrorism be reduced if the police could torture suspects in special circumstances?

    Would Africa have a better chance of rising out of poverty if it hosted more polluting industries or accepted Europe's nuclear waste?

    Is the average intelligence of Western nations declining because duller people are having more children than smarter people?

    Would unwanted children be better off if there were a market in adoption rights, with babies going to the highest bidder?

    Would lives be saved if we instituted a free market in organs for transplantation?

    Should people have the right to clone themselves, or enhance the genetic traits of their children?
    Edit: Please dont get this sent to P&R.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutret
    The fact is that most peoples sense of what rides well is easily overcome by their sense of what looks cool.

  2. #2
    tired donnamb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
    Posts
    5,660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My take? These are all subjects that cause some people to have major meltdowns on internet forums.
    "Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."

  3. #3
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,083
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I agree with Donna.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    My Bikes
    Cannondale, trek
    Posts
    4,516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are all topics discussed in PnR, Therefore this thread should be moved (notwithstanding the request not to send it to P&R).
    "yes, they [investors, government, lobbyists] are all necessary, but they all need some rules and limitations as well."

    Mr. Markets, 6/27/09 7:07 pm

  5. #5
    Prefers Aluminum Sprocket Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Honolulu
    My Bikes
    Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)
    Posts
    2,671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My answers:

    Do women, on average, have a different profile of aptitudes and emotions than men? Yes

    Were the events in the Bible fictitious -- not just the miracles, but those involving kings and empires? Some were. Some were factual.

    Has the state of the environment improved in the last 50 years? In some ways, yes. In most ways, no.

    Do most victims of sexual abuse suffer no lifelong damage? Some shake it off. Many will be traumatized for life.

    Did Native Americans engage in genocide and despoil the landscape? Yes

    Do men have an innate tendency to ****? No

    Did the crime rate go down in the 1990s because two decades earlier poor women aborted children who would have been prone to violence? It's a contributing factor.

    Are suicide terrorists well-educated, mentally healthy and morally driven? Some are.

    Would the incidence of **** go down if prostitution were legalized? No

    Do African-American men have higher levels of testosterone, on average, than white men? I don't know, but I'd be curious to find out. At least this question, unlike many of the others here, can be answered with objective data.

    Is morality just a product of the evolution of our brains, with no inherent reality? No. Some things are inherently good and some things are inherently bad.

    Would society be better off if heroin and cocaine were legalized? Probably not.

    Is homosexuality the symptom of an infectious disease? No.

    Would it be consistent with our moral principles to give parents the option of euthanizing newborns with birth defects that would consign them to a life of pain and disability? Who is the "our" in the sentence?

    Do parents have any effect on the character or intelligence of their children? Yes.

    Have religions killed a greater proportion of people than Nazism? Yes. Genocide in the name of religion has been occuring for thousands of years.

    Would damage from terrorism be reduced if the police could torture suspects in special circumstances? Probably.

    Would Africa have a better chance of rising out of poverty if it hosted more polluting industries or accepted Europe's nuclear waste? Yes.

    Is the average intelligence of Western nations declining because duller people are having more children than smarter people? No. It's because children don't work as hard as they used to.

    Would unwanted children be better off if there were a market in adoption rights, with babies going to the highest bidder? No

    Would lives be saved if we instituted a free market in organs for transplantation? Yes

    Should people have the right to clone themselves, or enhance the genetic traits of their children? Yes
    Last edited by Sprocket Man; 07-24-07 at 02:01 PM.

  6. #6
    tired donnamb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
    Posts
    5,660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And so Sprocket Man goes where angels fear to tread...
    "Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."

  7. #7
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,083
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I think Sprocket Man had a homologous blood transfusion right before making that post.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  8. #8
    Prefers Aluminum Sprocket Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Honolulu
    My Bikes
    Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)
    Posts
    2,671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    I think Sprocket Man had a homologous blood transfusion right before making that post.
    I'm INSULTED!! I'll have you know that all my blood is 100% heterologous!!

  9. #9
    Bike Junkie aadhils's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    My Bikes
    Orange Brompton M3L; Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange)
    Posts
    1,585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket Man View Post
    Should people have the right to clone themselves, or enhance the genetic traits of their children? Yes
    That should be No, cause if it was yes, then beastiality would have to be legal too...

  10. #10
    Prefers Aluminum Sprocket Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Honolulu
    My Bikes
    Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)
    Posts
    2,671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aadhils View Post
    That should be No, cause if it was yes, then beastiality would have to be legal too...
    I'm confused as to how beastiality is related to humans being allowed to clone themselves or enhance genetic traits of their children.

  11. #11
    runnin' down a dream edbikebabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere out there
    My Bikes
    Turner Flux, Orbea Onix Dama.
    Posts
    2,746
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket Man View Post
    I'm confused as to how beastiality is related to humans being allowed to clone themselves or enhance genetic traits of their children.
    +1 Please illuminate

  12. #12
    tired donnamb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
    Posts
    5,660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aadhills
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket Man View Post
    Should people have the right to clone themselves, or enhance the genetic traits of their children? Yes
    That should be No, cause if it was yes, then beastiality would have to be legal too...
    That's got to be the most interesting reason against cloning that I have ever heard.
    "Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."

  13. #13
    Jewish Media Conspirator asherlighn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Maine
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, IRO Jamie Roy, Felt F75, and an old GT mountain bike
    Posts
    921
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The questions arent actually supposed to be answered. The point is can you suppress your ego long enough to think about them. Some of them are expressly put in there to inflame one's sense of decency.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutret
    The fact is that most peoples sense of what rides well is easily overcome by their sense of what looks cool.

  14. #14
    Displaced Southerner polara426sh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Webster, NY
    My Bikes
    1967 Peugeot UO-8, 1984 Torpado Beta, 1985 Trek 300, 1989 Dave Moulton Fuso FRX, '90s Hardrock x2, '90s Norco Pinnacle, Focus MB-350 IRO SSFGGB
    Posts
    254
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do women, on average, have a different profile of aptitudes and emotions than men?
    I believe so.
    Were the events in the Bible fictitious -- not just the miracles, but those involving kings and empires?
    Some.
    Has the state of the environment improved in the last 50 years?
    Yes.
    Do most victims of sexual abuse suffer no lifelong damage?
    It depends on the individual.
    Did Native Americans engage in genocide and despoil the landscape?
    Yes.
    Do men have an innate tendency to ****?
    Some men do.
    Did the crime rate go down in the 1990s because two decades earlier poor women aborted children who would have been prone to violence?
    Partially.
    Are suicide terrorists well-educated, mentally healthy and morally driven?
    Probably only a minor portion.
    Would the incidence of **** go down if prostitution were legalized?
    No, **** isn't about sex, it's about power and domination.
    Do African-American men have higher levels of testosterone, on average, than white men?
    This is something that could be studied.
    Is morality just a product of the evolution of our brains, with no inherent reality?
    Not an evolution of our brains, but of societal evolution.
    Would society be better off if heroin and cocaine were legalized?
    I believe so.
    Is homosexuality the symptom of an infectious disease?
    No. That's ridiculous.
    Would it be consistent with our moral principles to give parents the option of euthanizing newborns with birth defects that would consign them to a life of pain and disability?
    Depends upon where you are. In some places they do that if the child is born the wrong sex.
    Do parents have any effect on the character or intelligence of their children?
    Yes.
    Have religions killed a greater proportion of people than Nazism?
    Absolutely.
    Would damage from terrorism be reduced if the police could torture suspects in special circumstances?
    Yes.
    Would Africa have a better chance of rising out of poverty if it hosted more polluting industries or accepted Europe's nuclear waste?
    No.
    Is the average intelligence of Western nations declining because duller people are having more children than smarter people?
    Only partially. Unfortunately mediocrity seems to be the new standard. People are inherently lazy, looking to be provided for with no effort of their own. Pride in doing one's job well is almost non-existent.
    Would unwanted children be better off if there were a market in adoption rights, with babies going to the highest bidder?
    Having money does not make one a good parent.
    Would lives be saved if we instituted a free market in organs for transplantation?
    Yes.
    Should people have the right to clone themselves, or enhance the genetic traits of their children?
    Yes.

  15. #15
    Jewish Media Conspirator asherlighn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Maine
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, IRO Jamie Roy, Felt F75, and an old GT mountain bike
    Posts
    921
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    omfg, you arent supposed to answer them. The answers dont matter. They are fake questions.

    You are supposed to find the ones that you disagree with, and ponder (calmly) why you disagree with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutret
    The fact is that most peoples sense of what rides well is easily overcome by their sense of what looks cool.

  16. #16
    (((Fully Awake))) Serendipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper
    My Bikes
    Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!
    Posts
    5,598
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only real dangerous ideas involve the supression of other people's dissenting thoughts.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

    無上甚深微妙法 .... 百千萬劫難遭遇..... 我今見聞得受持

  17. #17
    Jewish Media Conspirator asherlighn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Maine
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, IRO Jamie Roy, Felt F75, and an old GT mountain bike
    Posts
    921
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Serendipper View Post
    The only real dangerous ideas involve the supression of other people's dissenting thoughts.
    Yes. You completely understood the article. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutret
    The fact is that most peoples sense of what rides well is easily overcome by their sense of what looks cool.

  18. #18
    Prefers Aluminum Sprocket Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Honolulu
    My Bikes
    Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)
    Posts
    2,671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asherlighn View Post
    omfg, you arent supposed to answer them. The answers dont matter. They are fake questions.

    You are supposed to find the ones that you disagree with, and ponder (calmly) why you disagree with them.
    You can't disagree with questions, you can only disagree with answers. And you can't disagree with answers until you see other people's answers. Wouldn't you agree?

  19. #19
    Jewish Media Conspirator asherlighn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Maine
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, IRO Jamie Roy, Felt F75, and an old GT mountain bike
    Posts
    921
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket Man View Post
    You can't disagree with questions, you can only disagree with answers. And you can't disagree with answers until you see other people's answers. Wouldn't you agree?
    Picture a question that is asked that your knee jerk response to is "That is ridiculous! How could they even think that?!" IE-
    Quote Originally Posted by polara426ish
    Is homosexuality the symptom of an infectious disease?
    No. That's ridiculous.
    That is an example of disagreeing with a question. The questions I quoted from the article are examples of questions that would provoke this type of response. I posted it here because the majority of the posters on Foo are desensitized to questions that challenge their perceptions due to the large amount of time they spend on the internet.

    It was probably a mistake to only post the examples from the article and not the discussion. My bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutret
    The fact is that most peoples sense of what rides well is easily overcome by their sense of what looks cool.

  20. #20
    Desertbiker Dewaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I BELIEVE THAT the intellectual capacity of women is on the whole inferior to that of men. By "on the whole," I do not mean just "on the average"; though I do mean that much. My belief is, if you take any degree of intellectual capacity which is above average for the human race, as a whole, then a possessor of that degree of intellectual capacity is a good deal more likely to be man than a woman. [...]

    "The evidence for the inferior intellectual capacity of women is so obvious and overwhelming, that anyone who can lightly set it aside must be defective in their attitude to evidence; and our contemporary equality-theorists are in fact (as I have hinted several times), religious rather than rational in their attitude to evidence. As providing some further indication of this, the following thought-experiment may be of use. Suppose that the historical evidence had been the exact reverse of what it has usually been: that is, suppose that the intellectual performance of men had been uniformly inferior, under the widest variety of circumstances, to that of women. Rational people would in that case be as confident of the superior intellectual capacity of women as they now are of the reverse. But would those people who are at present equality-theorists be as confident then as they are now of the equal intellectual capacity of the two sexes? To ask this question is to answer it. The fact is, our egalitarians treat evidence on a basis of heads-I-win-tails-you-Iose; indeed, to say so is "putting it mild," at that."

    http://web.maths.unsw.edu.au/~jim/women.html

  21. #21
    Displaced Southerner polara426sh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Webster, NY
    My Bikes
    1967 Peugeot UO-8, 1984 Torpado Beta, 1985 Trek 300, 1989 Dave Moulton Fuso FRX, '90s Hardrock x2, '90s Norco Pinnacle, Focus MB-350 IRO SSFGGB
    Posts
    254
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asherlighn View Post
    omfg, you arent supposed to answer them. T
    Maybe that's why I did.

  22. #22
    Jewish Media Conspirator asherlighn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Maine
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, IRO Jamie Roy, Felt F75, and an old GT mountain bike
    Posts
    921
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewaine View Post
    "I BELIEVE THAT the intellectual capacity of women is on the whole inferior to that of men. By "on the whole," I do not mean just "on the average"; though I do mean that much. My belief is, if you take any degree of intellectual capacity which is above average for the human race, as a whole, then a possessor of that degree of intellectual capacity is a good deal more likely to be man than a woman. [...]

    "The evidence for the inferior intellectual capacity of women is so obvious and overwhelming, that anyone who can lightly set it aside must be defective in their attitude to evidence; and our contemporary equality-theorists are in fact (as I have hinted several times), religious rather than rational in their attitude to evidence. As providing some further indication of this, the following thought-experiment may be of use. Suppose that the historical evidence had been the exact reverse of what it has usually been: that is, suppose that the intellectual performance of men had been uniformly inferior, under the widest variety of circumstances, to that of women. Rational people would in that case be as confident of the superior intellectual capacity of women as they now are of the reverse. But would those people who are at present equality-theorists be as confident then as they are now of the equal intellectual capacity of the two sexes? To ask this question is to answer it. The fact is, our egalitarians treat evidence on a basis of heads-I-win-tails-you-Iose; indeed, to say so is "putting it mild," at that."

    http://web.maths.unsw.edu.au/~jim/women.html
    I believe this guy is mistaking "intellectual capacity" with fulfillment of intellectual potential.
    Or he is just really sexist and bad at dealing with data.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutret
    The fact is that most peoples sense of what rides well is easily overcome by their sense of what looks cool.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •