Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-29-07, 01:41 AM   #1
SmoothRide
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Bikes: Trek 3700, Trek 1600
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Underage Drinking

Your thoughts?

I think that the age limit in the US is bull. By prohibiting it, teens want to do it. Same thing with smoking.

European countries fair perfectly fine without age limits on drinking. What makes US politicians believe that we're incapable of handling alcohol? Of course, there will always be someone who gets killed due to doing something stupid and alcohol related. But I don't believe that those people should call for laws. It'll still happen with the laws in place.

Ridiculous, I say.



EDIT- I don't smoke!

Last edited by SmoothRide; 07-29-07 at 02:01 PM.
SmoothRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 01:51 AM   #2
Tude 
Blasted Weeds
 
Tude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
Posts: 1,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
way past your bedtime
Tude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 01:58 AM   #3
SmoothRide
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Bikes: Trek 3700, Trek 1600
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Point taken. Yet, I can't sleep.

I have insomnia. But why are you up? Another fellow insomniac?

Probably about to either get on my trainer or go for a bike ride....
SmoothRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 02:08 AM   #4
Nicodemus
Feral Member
 
Nicodemus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Roma, Italia
Bikes: yes, I have one.
Posts: 2,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Focus on age limits and bans and taxes and all that crap is the wrong idea.

From the perspective of almost every of country on the planet, age limits of 21 are absolutely ridiculous. The problem is the culture, not the petty laws that try to control it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
Did you just say "minarchist?" I'm going to start a 10-page vaginathon because only Libertarians can define Libertarianism. Also, you're mean.
Nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 02:10 AM   #5
mirona
I can't find my pants
 
mirona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: UMASS, Amherst/ Swick, MA
Bikes: 07 Specialized Langster Comp,06 Kona King Zing, 06 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; 03 LOOK KG461;(destroyed by suv); 85 Panasonic Team America; 73 Peugeot U0-8; 94 Balance Super B BMX; 04 Diamondback Outlook MTB, Diamondback DBR DH
Posts: 2,331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I heart beer.
mirona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 02:12 AM   #6
SmoothRide
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Bikes: Trek 3700, Trek 1600
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We call it Wheat Soda.
SmoothRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 02:52 AM   #7
Bantam
Senior Member
 
Bantam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South Carolina
Bikes: Trek 1500
Posts: 1,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirona View Post
I heart beer.
Bantam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 05:50 AM   #8
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout
 
crtreedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Costa Rica
Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem
Posts: 3,075
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
Focus on age limits and bans and taxes and all that crap is the wrong idea.

From the perspective of almost every of country on the planet, age limits of 21 are absolutely ridiculous. The problem is the culture, not the petty laws that try to control it.
Correct - most of my European friends know how to drink - i.e. not for the purpose of getting smashed. It is just a part of life. Having one or two glasses of wine with dinner or a beer after mowing the grass - cool, just a beverage with the additional benefit of relaxing you.

Compare that to our custom of introducing a new drink to beer with a keg...
crtreedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 05:58 AM   #9
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout
 
crtreedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Costa Rica
Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem
Posts: 3,075
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Oh, bluntly put - if you actually want to smoke after what we know about it - you aren't mature enough to handle anything that will intoxicate you. "Let me put this hazardous material in my mouth which will rot my lungs and almost certainly addict me which will cause many people to avoid me like the plaque (due to alergies and the stench) just so I can look cool."

The very fact that there is underage smoking might be a reason why adults think they need to make laws about other substances. Tell me - what motivation is there for wanting to start smoking? Who doesn't know what it will do to you and how many people around them after a few years are desperately trying to stop?

Honest - I just don't get it. I would much prefer someone to walk by with a joint than a cigarette. The former actually makes some sense.
crtreedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 06:46 AM   #10
Michigander
Senior Member
 
Michigander's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton
Posts: 1,724
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
I know a guy with almost no liver since he smashed the hell out of it while he was young. I agree though, drinking ages are petty bull$%*t. If a kid can go and subject himself to McDonalds "food" without restriction, it's hard to see a reason against booze.

Around here, it's forbidden fruit basically. When I was in High School, people would bring whiskey to school in pop bottles, and pass it out at lunch. In a different culture where alcohol isn't so taboo, I would doubt that such stupid things would be as common.
__________________
Bring back the Sig Test!


(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 08:06 AM   #11
Diggidy
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is good.

/thread
Diggidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 08:56 AM   #12
ryder47
Senior Member
 
ryder47's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothRide View Post
Your thoughts?

I think that the age limit in the US is bull. By prohibiting it, teens want to do it. Same thing with smoking.
Sure some teens are allured by the forbidden fruit, however lowering the age limit will only add to the number of drinking teens as those currently drinking will continue to do so and those who want to experiment now will, openly and legally. As for comparing smoking and drinking, a teens smoking habit has a snowballs chance in h*** of killing me, his drinking habit however . . .

Highway statistics over the last 30 years support the passage of a national drinking age, the reason it was raised in the first place. MADD is the orginization responsible for putting this issue on the front burner back in the late 70's and early 80's. The three extra years seems like an enternity however on the ledger sheet is a small price to pay for the lives saved.
ryder47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 09:07 AM   #13
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme
 
phantomcow2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NH
Bikes:
Posts: 6,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We teach people from a young age "DO NOT DRINK UNTIL YOU ARE 21", and that's it. Naturally, people don't learn HOW to drink. They'll just buy their bud and go at it. I saw this every day in high school. Wine is in my heritage, my father is French. I've been given wine since I was probably 10 or 12. But, I now have no desire to get drunk. I think I know how to drink, and I thank my parents for that.
The key is education. Having the drinking age what it is, though impossible to enforce, isn't awful. It's that you need to educate underage people about it, and don't cast alcohol in a negative light.
__________________
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run
phantomcow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 09:16 AM   #14
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Its stupid.
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 09:27 AM   #15
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomcow2 View Post
We teach people from a young age "DO NOT DRINK UNTIL YOU ARE 21", and that's it. Naturally, people don't learn HOW to drink. They'll just buy their bud and go at it. I saw this every day in high school. Wine is in my heritage, my father is French. I've been given wine since I was probably 10 or 12. But, I now have no desire to get drunk. I think I know how to drink, and I thank my parents for that.
The key is education. Having the drinking age what it is, though impossible to enforce, isn't awful. It's that you need to educate underage people about it, and don't cast alcohol in a negative light.
One of the reasons the US is so conservative about alcohol is because we have a dependable water supply that's pretty uniformly safe, believe it or not. We weren't forced to add alcohol to it to prevent parasitic and waterborn illness.

In the 1600's, the average beer intake among the Pilgrims was a gallon a day, regardless of age group and sailors made grog by mixing rum in the water because the barrel stored water got foul with algae growth. Wine was used in France historically as a water substitute or additive for similar reasons, medieval water supplies weren't necessarily the cleanest or most dependable.
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 09:48 AM   #16
Nicodemus
Feral Member
 
Nicodemus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Roma, Italia
Bikes: yes, I have one.
Posts: 2,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
"The dipsomaniac and the abstainer make the same mistake: they both regard wine as a drug and not a drink."
- G.K. Chesterton.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
Did you just say "minarchist?" I'm going to start a 10-page vaginathon because only Libertarians can define Libertarianism. Also, you're mean.
Nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 09:59 AM   #17
Nicodemus
Feral Member
 
Nicodemus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Roma, Italia
Bikes: yes, I have one.
Posts: 2,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
Oh, bluntly put - if you actually want to smoke after what we know about it - you aren't mature enough to handle anything that will intoxicate you. "Let me put this hazardous material in my mouth which will rot my lungs and almost certainly addict me which will cause many people to avoid me like the plaque (due to alergies and the stench) just so I can look cool."

The very fact that there is underage smoking might be a reason why adults think they need to make laws about other substances. Tell me - what motivation is there for wanting to start smoking? Who doesn't know what it will do to you and how many people around them after a few years are desperately trying to stop?

Honest - I just don't get it. I would much prefer someone to walk by with a joint than a cigarette. The former actually makes some sense.
I never smoked to look cool. That's an exercise in futility.

It's a common thing to say about the reason young people do it - to look cool. I think it's patronizing. If anything it would be peer pressure, the forbidden fruit syndrome, and an urge to be "grown up".

I saw some kid walk by the other day, must have been 12, lighting up a ***. Sad.

But this, drinking, the neurotic fetishization of sexuality (I mean WOW, violence and bad language galore, but as much as a nipple appears and a movie's rated 18 - talk about schizo), all that stuff - it's just a relfection of the lack of social cohesion of modern society, combined with the cult of individualism that puts blocks on enforcement of social norms. And it's also simply a reflection of the example we as adults set. It's so easy and fun to blame kids for their stupidity, but all they're doing is responding to the environment that we created for them.

As for putting hazardous materials in one's mouth, you seem to have an exaggerated beef with smoking as opposed to the myriad other silly things we choose to do to ourselves. But, I agree with you that it does at least make sense to see someone walking down the street with a J than a ciggie.

The problem with attitudes to drinking is just as bad in England imho. What a world of difference when you cross over to the mainland.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
Did you just say "minarchist?" I'm going to start a 10-page vaginathon because only Libertarians can define Libertarianism. Also, you're mean.

Last edited by Nicodemus; 07-29-07 at 10:05 AM.
Nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 10:42 AM   #18
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored
 
catatonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
Posts: 5,825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep the drinking is just because it makes no sense.

You can operate a car by then, at 17 (with parental consent) you can go to war and die.....but you can't have a beer? It's just absurd, and when has anyone ever followed an absurd law by choice?

Now, the problem with teens ODing on alcohol is due to the illegality....since it's hard to get, when teens get hold of it, they use it all, before someone has a chance to find it and take it away.

I think a graudated system would work best....beer/wine at 18, hard liquor at 21. Some sates apprently have laws like that in place, but I think it should be a national thing.
catatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 10:56 AM   #19
NorthGAUltrarnr
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta
Bikes: Peleton pro
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After I turned 21, I stopped drinking a lot less and buying a lot more (for other people)
NorthGAUltrarnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 10:57 AM   #20
donnamb 
tired
 
donnamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
Posts: 5,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I liked the way the drinking age was handled in Germany when I went there in high school. Beer and wine at 16 and hard liquor at 18. Thing is, it wasn't as simple as that. If a parent ordered a small glass of beer or wine for a 13 year old when the family went out to dinner, the server brought it without question. Likewise, if a 16 year old wanted a second beer and a parent wasn't around, they server wouldn't hesitate to ask the kid something like, "Aren't you too young for that much beer? You shouldn't have a second one if you're not eating dinner. What would your parents say?" The kid would back down and there would be no more beer.

This system works because parents are heavily involved with the "alcohol education" of their children. It also relies on non-related adults to involve themselves with the alcohol choices of young people, and the teenagers accepting the authority of those adults. Right now in North America, you've got a whole population of parents and other adults who are, IMO, unprepared to take that kind of role on. So, how do you get the adults ready to handle that kind of responsibility?

Oh, and there was one other huge difference that I observed: young people between 16 and 18 were not driving cars.
__________________
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
donnamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 11:02 AM   #21
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by catatonic View Post
Yep the drinking is just because it makes no sense.

You can operate a car by then, at 17 (with parental consent) you can go to war and die.....but you can't have a beer? It's just absurd, and when has anyone ever followed an absurd law by choice?

Now, the problem with teens ODing on alcohol is due to the illegality....since it's hard to get, when teens get hold of it, they use it all, before someone has a chance to find it and take it away.

I think a graudated system would work best....beer/wine at 18, hard liquor at 21. Some sates apprently have laws like that in place, but I think it should be a national thing.
Actually, some states HAD laws like that, but had to adopt the 21 standard or lose Federal Highway Funding.
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 11:22 AM   #22
michiganboy
Member
 
michiganboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes: Lemond Wayzata, Giant ATX 880, Jamis Dakar
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder47 View Post
Sure some teens are allured by the forbidden fruit, however lowering the age limit will only add to the number of drinking teens as those currently drinking will continue to do so and those who want to experiment now will, openly and legally. As for comparing smoking and drinking, a teens smoking habit has a snowballs chance in h*** of killing me, his drinking habit however . . .

Highway statistics over the last 30 years support the passage of a national drinking age, the reason it was raised in the first place. MADD is the orginization responsible for putting this issue on the front burner back in the late 70's and early 80's. The three extra years seems like an enternity however on the ledger sheet is a small price to pay for the lives saved.
How many 18 year olds wait until they are 21 to drink? I sure didn't and I doubt they do now. Check out any college campus and you will see what I mean. If MADD really wants to eliminate drunk driving they should differentiate between drinking and drinking and driving. The best way to do this is to lower penalties for underage drinking and increase penalties for drinking and driving.
michiganboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 11:35 AM   #23
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯
 
-=(8)=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
Posts: 7,903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
Focus on age limits and bans and taxes and all that crap is the wrong idea.

From the perspective of almost every of country on the planet, age limits of 21 are absolutely ridiculous. The problem is the culture, not the petty laws that try to control it.

Im only against it because an 18 year olds brain is still physically forming.
Alcohol can disrupt the process. Do we really need more republiklans ?
But, that being said, there is no American 18 year old mature enuff to drink.
Sorry. Not one. It is a culture thing. American youth are subliminally trained
starting at birth to associate ridiculously stoopid, alcohol fueled behaviour
with a good time. I was a product of Americas 'Mature Drinking' experiment
that happened in the 70's. 'Learning' to drink from your parents (most likely
alky's, too) was the norm. I wrecked a car at 16, lost all my front toofus's
and broke all my ribs, damaged my heart and fractured my skull. Other friends
who were part of the 70's experience didnt get off as easily. Thier funerals
never got easier. Here, in rich, bourgeous West Palm Beach, the rich people
always have keggers on thier private estates for thier little Chad, Biffs and Buffies.
Later that evening they are ID'ing splattered guts on Rt.1.
Sorry, America as a whole isnt competent enuff to be training our kidlettes
proper alcohol technique.

Last edited by -=(8)=-; 07-29-07 at 02:25 PM.
-=(8)=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 11:46 AM   #24
Jerseysbest
J E R S E Y S B E S T
 
Jerseysbest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: DC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beer
Jerseysbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 12:05 PM   #25
SmoothRide
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Bikes: Trek 3700, Trek 1600
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
Oh, bluntly put - if you actually want to smoke after what we know about it - you aren't mature enough to handle anything that will intoxicate you. "Let me put this hazardous material in my mouth which will rot my lungs and almost certainly addict me which will cause many people to avoid me like the plaque (due to alergies and the stench) just so I can look cool."

The very fact that there is underage smoking might be a reason why adults think they need to make laws about other substances. Tell me - what motivation is there for wanting to start smoking? Who doesn't know what it will do to you and how many people around them after a few years are desperately trying to stop?

Honest - I just don't get it. I would much prefer someone to walk by with a joint than a cigarette. The former actually makes some sense.
I don't smoke. =/

Drinking, you can moderate. With smoking- Lungs messed up.


What about sex without protection? Shouldn't that be illegal? What happens when someone gets HIV?
SmoothRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:01 AM.