Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    <>< SoonerBent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    My Bikes
    RANS Tailwind
    Posts
    768
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    If anybody finds my mind, please send it back to me.

    I don't know what's wrong but my mind just doesn't work right anymore. Two examples from this week. First, I was driving to work the other day and I stopped at a "left turn yield on green" intersection when there was no one in sight coming the other way. You can imagine how happy that made the drivers behind me. Then I was happily zooming down a four lane in the left lane at about 45 mph and suddenly realized a car was stopped in front of me waiting to turn left. I was looking right at the car but it didn't register that it was there. Luckily there no one in the right lane so I could do a panic lane change. Second, this morning I had to stop on the way to work and pick up some air hose. At the check-out I swiped the debit card and entered the PIN number, 5 times. Then the cashier suggested I just run it as a credit card so I don't need the PIN. I felt like an idiot. My PIN is a number from my childhood that I would remember in a coma. I'm surprised the cashier didn't ask for 17 types of identification after 5 attempts with the PIN.

    Where has my mind gone? I'm under no stress. I'm under 50. My family has no history of memory loss old age or otherwise. I'm joking here but I have started to wonder about me.

  2. #2
    Senior Member buckstoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    MS formerly Okie
    My Bikes
    97' Specialized Rockhopper, 04' Jamis XLT3, 05' Burley Runabout
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably a result of the heat, I'm just now starting to feel like myself after about a month of drifting along. How are things going in OK, I was visiting in May and everything was soaked, tried riding Lake Hefner and made almost a lap before the skies opened, quite strange weather!
    Back on topic all I can say is keep plugging along and it'll get better.
    97' Specialized Rockhopper
    04' Jamis Dakar XLT3
    05' Burley Runabout 7
    06' RANS Force 5
    07' Salsa Dos Niner DEAD x2
    10' Niner SIR9

  3. #3
    <>< SoonerBent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    My Bikes
    RANS Tailwind
    Posts
    768
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It dried out some in July but we've still had decent storms every few days. And it's only just started hitting 90 the past week or so. Very odd weather for an Oklahoma summer.

  4. #4
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope that wasn't your mind I saw in the road this morning.
    Looked like several cars had had their way with it. Umm...you may need a new one if that was it, but I can't see how it could have gotten this far without a body to carry it

  5. #5
    Dude wheres my guads? skinnyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Guess
    My Bikes
    Not enough
    Posts
    2,680
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBent View Post
    I don't know what's wrong but my mind just doesn't work right anymore. Two examples from this week. First, I was driving to work the other day and I stopped at a "left turn yield on green" intersection when there was no one in sight coming the other way. You can imagine how happy that made the drivers behind me. Then I was happily zooming down a four lane in the left lane at about 45 mph and suddenly realized a car was stopped in front of me waiting to turn left. I was looking right at the car but it didn't register that it was there. Luckily there no one in the right lane so I could do a panic lane change. Second, this morning I had to stop on the way to work and pick up some air hose. At the check-out I swiped the debit card and entered the PIN number, 5 times. Then the cashier suggested I just run it as a credit card so I don't need the PIN. I felt like an idiot. My PIN is a number from my childhood that I would remember in a coma. I'm surprised the cashier didn't ask for 17 types of identification after 5 attempts with the PIN.

    Where has my mind gone? I'm under no stress. I'm under 50. My family has no history of memory loss old age or otherwise. I'm joking here but I have started to wonder about me.
    I have had a similar experience with yield left turns once in a while.. I think it was just distraction..
    Talking about pins, I changed my password on Mon to what seemed to be the most natural thing in that I would remember.. It seemed obvious but come Tuesday I had no recollection of what the password was and had to call admin to reset it.. I am under 30 so I figure you are better off than me

  6. #6
    Senior Member late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    8,235
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Part of getting old are those Senior Moments. If they keep up, talk to your Doc...

  7. #7
    Bike Junkie aadhils's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    My Bikes
    Orange Brompton M3L; Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange)
    Posts
    1,583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just one of those days. I'm 23 and it happened to me once or twice...

  8. #8
    Caustic Soccer Mom apclassic9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Millstone WV
    Posts
    1,759
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if this came on all of a sudden, and doesn't go away, you might start thinking....stroke? Seriously, I swerved when I saw your brain in the road. Check in with your favorite MD if this persists.
    As with mud, life, too, slides by.

  9. #9
    <>< SoonerBent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    My Bikes
    RANS Tailwind
    Posts
    768
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by apclassic9 View Post
    if this came on all of a sudden, and doesn't go away, you might start thinking....stroke? Seriously, I swerved when I saw your brain in the road. Check in with your favorite MD if this persists.
    Not really suddenly. I seem to have had "senior moments" more and more frequently over the past couple of years. They're just getting to a frequency that it bothers me. I'm scheduled for a physical in a couple of weeks. I'll bring it up while I'm there.

  10. #10
    (((Fully Awake))) Serendipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper
    My Bikes
    Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!
    Posts
    5,601
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBent View Post
    Not really suddenly. I seem to have had "senior moments" more and more frequently over the past couple of years. They're just getting to a frequency that it bothers me. I'm scheduled for a physical in a couple of weeks. I'll bring it up while I'm there.



    When you're young....it's called scatterbrained.

    When your middle-aged, it's called a "crisis".

    When your older, then they say senility "sets in".


    We've all shaken a screw loose at some point. Pick your perspective as to why we are flawed and ask yourself: at which stage of life did you actually have it all together?

  11. #11
    Blasted Weeds Tude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
    Posts
    1,182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm experiencing instances like that, always feel like I'm catching up. Getting dates wrong, etc. My problems is that I have too many things going on.

  12. #12
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,061
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They say learning another language is a great help to stimulating your brain and I agree. I feel my mind is sharper than ever - the only thing I am forgetting now is English...

  13. #13
    Senior Member late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    8,235
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

  14. #14
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    15,958
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I can't remember what I miss the most!
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  15. #15
    <>< SoonerBent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    My Bikes
    RANS Tailwind
    Posts
    768
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Serendipper View Post
    When your middle-aged, it's called a "crisis".

    We've all shaken a screw loose at some point. Pick your perspective as to why we are flawed and ask yourself: at which stage of life did you actually have it all together?
    This one would be me. And there are many who would say I've never had it anywhere near together.


    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
    They say learning another language is a great help to stimulating your brain and I agree.
    There's an idea. And I have some incentive to learn Spanish. Occasionally the company I work for has openings managing contracts in Florida but you have to be able to speak Spanish.

  16. #16
    Erectible Member pedalMonger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Enroute
    Posts
    515
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look into selegiline (deprenyl) perhaps, it is purported to be a prophylactic against many age-related neurological conditions, including Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

    Quote Originally Posted by selegiline
    It may be supposed that a prophylactic low dose administration of a safe catecholaminergic activity enhancer substance during the postdevelopmental phase of life will slow the age-related decline of behavioral performances, delay natural death and decrease susceptibility to Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease.

    http://www.biopsychiatry.com/selegref.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by selegiline
    Prophylactic (-)deprenyl medication may improve the quality of life in the latter decades, delaying the time of natural death and decreasing the susceptibility to age-related neurological diseases.

    http://www.selegiline.com/review.htm


    Quote Originally Posted by dose
    Deprenyl(selegiline) Age/Dosage (anti-aging purposes)

    30-35 1mg twice a week
    35-40 1mg every other day
    40-45 1mg every day
    45-50 2mg every day
    50-55 3mg every day
    55-60 4mg every day
    60-65 5mg every day
    65-70 6mg every day
    70-75 8mg every day
    75-80 9mg every day
    80 plus 10mg every day

    http://www.antiaging-systems.com/ext...renylmulti.htm
    www.selegiline.com
    Milky Is The Way
    -----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] : http://www.gravel2008.us : Democracy.mp3

  17. #17
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,061
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBent View Post
    There's an idea. And I have some incentive to learn Spanish. Occasionally the company I work for has openings managing contracts in Florida but you have to be able to speak Spanish.
    Just get ready to replace forgetfulness with headaches... "I think I sprained my brain!"

  18. #18
    <>< SoonerBent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    My Bikes
    RANS Tailwind
    Posts
    768
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
    Just get ready to replace forgetfulness with headaches... "I think I sprained my brain!"
    Ouch!

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting enough sleep? Good sleep?

    And no, if I find your brain I won't send it back. I kinda find that I need a new one myself.
    “A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” Robert A. Heinlein

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •