Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-04-07, 11:43 PM   #1
Viceroy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Strange/funny things you've seen people doing while driving

...
Viceroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 12:03 AM   #2
pedalMonger
Erectible Member
 
pedalMonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Enroute
Bikes:
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
digging for gold with needle-nose pliers
pedalMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 01:05 AM   #3
Snicklefritz
Senior Member
 
Snicklefritz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
Bikes:
Posts: 3,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A few things I have seen:

(1) Guy reading the morning paper while driving down a highway exit ramp on 280 in northern cal.
(2) A Ford F150 filled with a couple of punks who were mooning people while driving down the main drag in town
(3) A cop weaving from lane to lane like a guy who had just had 10000 beers. Later saw he was just trying to get traffic behind him on 280 to stop so he could get out of his car and pick up some metal ladders and other debris that was on the roadway

Something mom my saw when she was a kid:

A blind guy driving a truck by taking second-by-second instructions from his wife.
(he was an old, harmless guy in her neighborhood who went blind and couldn't drive anymore but he was the only one who drove. His wife didn't get her licence. Because he was a decent fellow and never hurt anyone the local cops left him alone)
Snicklefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 01:40 AM   #4
openclassmx
Old. Bald. Slow.
 
openclassmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas, GA
Bikes: '05 Trek 2100
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe it doesn't count as actually DRIVING, but I was pumping gas and a pickup truck pulled up with a full landscape crew in it. This was in the morning, and they were all going inside and getting coffee and stocking their coolers for the day.

This as a half-ton Chevrolet, not a four-door truck mind you but a typical extended cab truck... the kind that has a small jump seat behind the main seats.

I counted, and SIXTEEN of them got in that truck. About six of those were in the bed. I thought only clowns in the circus could pull that off.
openclassmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 06:27 AM   #5
Devil_Woman
Senior Member
 
Devil_Woman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Those that pass you on the highway going 80 MPH to get some where faster, then they are stuck in a traffic jam in front of you. They did not get any further then you did, only faster, see that most of the time coming home from work.
__________________
Devil_Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 06:30 AM   #6
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Watching a knob bob from the seat of a semi-truck is always fun.
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 06:50 PM   #7
wfin2004
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Riverview, Florida
Bikes: Trek 4900
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Woman View Post
Those that pass you on the highway going 80 MPH to get some where faster, then they are stuck in a traffic jam in front of you. They did not get any further then you did, only faster, see that most of the time coming home from work.


One of my pet peeves-People driving down the emergency lane in a traffic jam because THEY have to be somewhere. Now that really irritates me.

Devil Woman, you may dump the "newbie" thing in your avatar anytime. We consider you part of this BF thingy now.
wfin2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 07:16 PM   #8
aprilm
Bring May Flowers
 
aprilm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Soon to be South Carolina!
Bikes: '10 Kuota Kebel
Posts: 961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalMonger View Post
digging for gold with needle-nose pliers
Sick. And um, ouch?

I had my windows down, and pulled up next to a guy who had his music blaring. I looked over at him, and saw him lip-syncing to the music... only it wasn't the music I was hearing, it was him. The guy was singing louder than I've ever heard anybody sing before.
aprilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 07:49 PM   #9
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great story...


Friday morning I'm sitting in the right lane of a double left turn lane, the light is red for a left turn. I'm watching traffic come thru the intersection and a car comes up in the left lane and stops... briefly She turns left on the red on a break in the traffic flow. I thought here's some one with special dispensation, I have to meet her.

I watched her movement with one eye, the other was on the light. When it turned green for me to turn I followed her back to the Acme parking lot. She had just crossed to the store sidewalk as I got there. I hailed her out the passenger window and she trotted over to the truck. I asked her if she was aware that she just ran a red light. Giggling she replied that yes she knew it was red. I then asked her why she did it. She said, still laughing that she was in a hurry.

In a hurry? I said. That would make a great defense in court if a cop would have seen her do it. The giggling was abating and a serious look came across her face. I asked her if she realized that her actions not only jeopardized her well being, but mine and anyone else on the road at that time. She got all serious looking and said No, I didn't think of that. I told her I did and didn't really appreciate someone else needlessly risking my life. I thought this woman was about ready to break in to tears right there ans she said "I'm sorry." I told her I forgave her and asked her to think of the consequence's of what she wants to do before she does them. My children were out there and I wanted them to come home safely tonight, and from the looks of the mother's ring on her hand I bet she had a couple of kids out there too. That was the clincher... she broke down and tears were streaming down her cheeks as she told me that I was so right and she wouldn't do it again.

Gas used ~ $0.10
Time spent ~ 2 minutes

Reaction ~ PRICELESS
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 07:59 PM   #10
StanSeven
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: No Va but ride also in So Md
Bikes: Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
Posts: 11,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Getting pulled over for speeding while typing an email on a blackberry even with a radar detector because the music was turned up too loud to hear. Oh wait, that was me
StanSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 04:51 AM   #11
wfin2004
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Riverview, Florida
Bikes: Trek 4900
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSeven View Post
Getting pulled over for speeding while typing an email on a blackberry even with a radar detector because the music was turned up too loud to hear. Oh wait, that was me

Hate to say it , but, good for you. You deserve every cent of the fine that is thrown at you. read Stacey's post from above. You will get where I am coming from. How old are you? I can bet you are under 25. Stuff like what you were doing has NO place on the road. Speeding AND texting out a message on a blackberry is something I would expect from a high schooler. Jesus man, grow up.
wfin2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 08:04 AM   #12
ajay677
Senior Member
 
ajay677's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: For the record, I am not now, nor have I ever been, an idiot.
Bikes:
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
Watching a knob bob from the seat of a semi-truck is always fun.
Not as much fun as getting the knob bob, I bet.
ajay677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 08:06 AM   #13
ajay677
Senior Member
 
ajay677's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: For the record, I am not now, nor have I ever been, an idiot.
Bikes:
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Watched a woman sail through a red light with no hands on the steering wheel. Her hands where occupied holding the ends of the dental floss as she busily flossed her teeth while looking in the vanity mirror on her visor.
ajay677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 08:13 AM   #14
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Passed a woman this morning smoking a cigarette and using the hand with the cigarette in it to finger comb her hair! I would hate to smell that mop! At least she had one hand on the wheel.

Last week I was just about side swiped by some jake leg in a Toyota sedan. He was mainly driving in the middle lane of the tollway, with brief excursions into the inner and outer lanes. He was probably never aware of his mindless wandering though, due to the fact that he was going through some file folders with one hand. He was using the other hand to hold the wheel and the folders.

I so wish America was like other countries and you got ticketed for doing anything other than driving while at the wheel.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 08:21 AM   #15
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay677 View Post
Not as much fun as getting the knob bob, I bet.
I dunno... it's fun to watch.
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 08:23 AM   #16
dpb13
Senior Member
 
dpb13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sparks, NV
Bikes:
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
Watching a knob bob from the seat of a semi-truck is always fun.
Seen one just last week on the way home from work.
dpb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 08:26 AM   #17
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snicklefritz View Post
A blind guy driving a truck by taking second-by-second instructions from his wife. (he was an old, harmless guy in her neighborhood who went blind and couldn't drive anymore but he was the only one who drove. His wife didn't get her licence. Because he was a decent fellow and never hurt anyone the local cops left him alone)
Are you sure that wasn't my grandparents?

I heard the story of how my g-pa always insisted on driving, no matter what the circumstances. Even when he came home from his cataract surgery. He had my grandmother direct him step by step, but I'll be damned if he let her drive.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 08:28 AM   #18
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
I so wish America was like other countries and you got ticketed for doing anything other than driving while at the wheel.
+1

Texting and driving.....wasn't that the one that killed Syndey while he was on his bike or was that the one who killed the lady in Portland on her bike?

When I was in UK and riding with my friend Keith while he was driving. I was really impressed by their laws.....I was nearly blown away that when his phone rang he didn't/wouldn't answer it for fear of repercussions.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 08:42 AM   #19
Stray Cat
wussy
 
Stray Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Bikes: Scott CR1, Trek 2200, Gary Fisher Tassajara, PedalForce ZX3 (coming)
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
5 O clock rush hour and a guy in an old chevy pickup with camper, on the entrance ramp talking on a cell phone, trying to turn on his blinker while having his left arm hooked through the steering wheel eating a burger. By far my #1 so far.

Gotta love Dallas drivers.
__________________
Cat-O-Meter: Hibernation
Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem
Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 08:52 AM   #20
SoonerBent
<><
 
SoonerBent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oklahoma City
Bikes: RANS Tailwind
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Going through Ft. Worth last October I followed a guy on a motorcycle that was riding down I-35 on the top of the gas tank with his feet out over the front fender. If he'd had slow down, stop, or avoid anything he'd have been toast.
SoonerBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 08:58 AM   #21
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
5 O clock rush hour and a guy in an old chevy pickup with camper, on the entrance ramp talking on a cell phone, trying to turn on his blinker while having his left arm hooked through the steering wheel eating a burger. By far my #1 so far.

Gotta love Dallas drivers.
You just reminded me of an incident that happened at work.

In our facility that I used to work at, we had to occasionally do "van runs". We made navigational boxes for airplanes and often tested them by mounting a company van, talking to it with laptop and going out on a "van run".

Well, we had some techs that worked in the lab drive the van. One of the drivers was a young guy who was your typical 22 years old, fresh out of the Army, wannabe Rambo type.

Well, he often would drive us (usually a few of us engineers on a van run) around for our test and we would see him talking to wife on cell phone (cradled in his shoulder), one hand eating a burger, other hand fiddling with some other gadget of his, drink in front (cradled in crotch) while "driving" the van.

The inevitable did happen one day....he got in an accident and the engineer who was in the van ended up with a broken arm. He ended up with "whiplash" that he milked for months until finally getting fired for taking just too much time off.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 10:59 AM   #22
Kevin S
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA (Northwest suburbs)
Bikes:
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBent View Post
Going through Ft. Worth last October I followed a guy on a motorcycle that was riding down I-35 on the top of the gas tank with his feet out over the front fender. If he'd had slow down, stop, or avoid anything he'd have been toast.
SoonerBent, so he was in very much the same position as a person on a SWB Bent -- just without being near any of the controls
__________________
"Stay vertical, Fred."
- Frank Krygowski
http://www.bicyclinglife.com/SafetySkills/index.html
Kevin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-07, 11:24 AM   #23
chrism32205
Senior Member
 
chrism32205's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Bikes: Bianchi Axis (commuter), Specialized Tricross S-Works, BMC Team Machine SLT01, Mercier Kilo TT
Posts: 668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A guy driving a SUV on I-95 doing 70+ mph with his right leg propped up on the dash..
chrism32205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-07, 12:55 PM   #24
colorider
smorenivore
 
colorider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Littleton, CO
Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I saw a woman eating what looked like a salad with a fork on the highway just this week.
colorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-07, 01:25 PM   #25
workingbike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Bikes:
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
Great story...


Friday morning I'm sitting in the right lane of a double left turn lane, the light is red for a left turn. I'm watching traffic come thru the intersection and a car comes up in the left lane and stops... briefly She turns left on the red on a break in the traffic flow. I thought here's some one with special dispensation, I have to meet her.

I watched her movement with one eye, the other was on the light. When it turned green for me to turn I followed her back to the Acme parking lot. She had just crossed to the store sidewalk as I got there. I hailed her out the passenger window and she trotted over to the truck. I asked her if she was aware that she just ran a red light. Giggling she replied that yes she knew it was red. I then asked her why she did it. She said, still laughing that she was in a hurry.

In a hurry? I said. That would make a great defense in court if a cop would have seen her do it. The giggling was abating and a serious look came across her face. I asked her if she realized that her actions not only jeopardized her well being, but mine and anyone else on the road at that time. She got all serious looking and said No, I didn't think of that. I told her I did and didn't really appreciate someone else needlessly risking my life. I thought this woman was about ready to break in to tears right there ans she said "I'm sorry." I told her I forgave her and asked her to think of the consequence's of what she wants to do before she does them. My children were out there and I wanted them to come home safely tonight, and from the looks of the mother's ring on her hand I bet she had a couple of kids out there too. That was the clincher... she broke down and tears were streaming down her cheeks as she told me that I was so right and she wouldn't do it again.

Gas used ~ $0.10
Time spent ~ 2 minutes

Reaction ~ PRICELESS
I am in awe at your forbearance, I would have just screamed at her. If it had been a guy, I probably would have given him a smacking. Yours was the much better option.
workingbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:47 PM.