Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-07, 09:39 AM   #1
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme
Thread Starter
 
phantomcow2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NH
Bikes:
Posts: 6,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WHAT? Tell me this clerk was lying.

I went to get some of that PB Blaster penetrating oil to help me out a bit with stuck bolts. Anyways, next door was this place "Robins auto parts". Now this store is your performance store. Not just some autozone, they have access to everything. They do automotive machining out back. So I figure if I have a question and am looking for an answer, this is the place to go. Well I have been considering replacing my exhaust system with a full stainless steel setup. The thing is, all of the ones I see are aftermarket, and look obnoxious. A 5" tip is NOT appropriate for a little car like mine. If I drove a mustang or some v8 real sports car, I would say put on the biggest tip I can find and let it be heard.

SO I asked, is there a replacement stock exhaust system that is made from stainless steel? A discrete looking, basic setup. The simple answer
"No".

Then the most disturbing part came. I asked about getting the least intrusive, most discrete, aftermarket stainless setup. He said I'll be looking at probably 400 dollars for a basic. Alright, not awful I guess. Winters here give the undercarriages a beating, and if it lasts for a long time, then it's worth it. But then he mentioned one thing:

It's stainless steel COATED!!! WTF? He paid 675 for his setup, and it's farking coated? He said if I wanted a true stainless setup, it would be a long wait and cost upwards of 1000. Is this true? If it is, I think I am in the wrong business. THe market on these parts is obscene.
__________________
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run
phantomcow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 09:42 AM   #2
EthanYQX
Why not?
 
EthanYQX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Bikes: Giant STP 2
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomcow2 View Post
I went to get some of that PB Blaster penetrating oil to help me out a bit with stuck bolts. Anyways, next door was this place "Robins auto parts". Now this store is your performance store. Not just some autozone, they have access to everything. They do automotive machining out back. So I figure if I have a question and am looking for an answer, this is the place to go. Well I have been considering replacing my exhaust system with a full stainless steel setup. The thing is, all of the ones I see are aftermarket, and look obnoxious. A 5" tip is NOT appropriate for a little car like mine. If I drove a mustang or some v8 real sports car, I would say put on the biggest tip I can find and let it be heard.

SO I asked, is there a replacement stock exhaust system that is made from stainless steel? A discrete looking, basic setup. The simple answer
"No".

Then the most disturbing part came. I asked about getting the least intrusive, most discrete, aftermarket stainless setup. He said I'll be looking at probably 400 dollars for a basic. Alright, not awful I guess. Winters here give the undercarriages a beating, and if it lasts for a long time, then it's worth it. But then he mentioned one thing:

It's stainless steel COATED!!! WTF? He paid 675 for his setup, and it's farking coated? He said if I wanted a true stainless setup, it would be a long wait and cost upwards of 1000. Is this true? If it is, I think I am in the wrong business. THe market on these parts is obscene.
Drop an H22 in it, turbo the guts out, and then put on the huge tip. Then smoke every Mustang you see
EthanYQX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 09:46 AM   #3
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme
Thread Starter
 
phantomcow2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NH
Bikes:
Posts: 6,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hate a loud and obnoxious exhaust system . Sometimes I wonder if people get a large and obnoxious exhaust to compensate for a small penis and generally small self esteem. If that's true, I don't want to give the wrong signals.
__________________
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run
phantomcow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 09:53 AM   #4
EthanYQX
Why not?
 
EthanYQX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Bikes: Giant STP 2
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomcow2 View Post
I hate a loud and obnoxious exhaust system . Sometimes I wonder if people get a large and obnoxious exhaust to compensate for a small penis and generally small self esteem. If that's true, I don't want to give the wrong signals.
The exhaust in one of my cars is very loud. However, it's because it's a virtually straight pipe. The car is driven every day, but it's built as a racecar. We didn't try to make it loud, we made power.
EthanYQX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 09:55 AM   #5
ryder47
Senior Member
 
ryder47's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
While I can't speak for exhaust systems, I can speak for the use of the material stainless steel. A good portion of the product I can get for my customers will cost at least 2-3 time more expensive if made out of stainless steel. This is a general across the board the increase spanning not only the type of product but also different manufacturers. The most influential factors affecting costs of these solid stainless products is the material itself and the associated production cost of manufacturing smaller quantities of what ever they're producing.
ryder47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 09:57 AM   #6
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomcow2 View Post
I went to get some of that PB Blaster penetrating oil to help me out a bit with stuck bolts. Anyways, next door was this place "Robins auto parts". Now this store is your performance store. Not just some autozone, they have access to everything. They do automotive machining out back. So I figure if I have a question and am looking for an answer, this is the place to go. Well I have been considering replacing my exhaust system with a full stainless steel setup. The thing is, all of the ones I see are aftermarket, and look obnoxious. A 5" tip is NOT appropriate for a little car like mine. If I drove a mustang or some v8 real sports car, I would say put on the biggest tip I can find and let it be heard.

SO I asked, is there a replacement stock exhaust system that is made from stainless steel? A discrete looking, basic setup. The simple answer
"No".

Then the most disturbing part came. I asked about getting the least intrusive, most discrete, aftermarket stainless setup. He said I'll be looking at probably 400 dollars for a basic. Alright, not awful I guess. Winters here give the undercarriages a beating, and if it lasts for a long time, then it's worth it. But then he mentioned one thing:

It's stainless steel COATED!!! WTF? He paid 675 for his setup, and it's farking coated? He said if I wanted a true stainless setup, it would be a long wait and cost upwards of 1000. Is this true? If it is, I think I am in the wrong business. THe market on these parts is obscene.
Is this your first car? I so, I think you'll find that whatever cheapo exhaust system will hold up just fine through a few winters. If it dies while you still own the car then replace it. Or go to Midas or Tuffy or whatever they have in your neck of the woods and have them do it for you and get the lifetime guarantee if you are really worried about it.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 10:39 AM   #7
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thing is Midas et al only Lifetime the muffler, the pipes, resonator(s), hangers and labor aren't covered.
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 10:42 AM   #8
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
Thing is Midas et al only Lifetime the muffler, the pipes, resonator(s), hangers and labor aren't covered.
Place I used to go to in Toledo covered everything. I bought a used car, found the warranty in the glove box, and went and got my exhaust all fixed up. The warranty was in a woman's name, so I said it was my GF.....it was a chain, Tuffy I think, but I might be mistaken. I know it wasn't Midas.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 10:43 AM   #9
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cool!
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 10:45 AM   #10
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
^^^

Jaa, I was pretty happy with the whole affair.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 11:19 AM   #11
polara426sh
Displaced Southerner
 
polara426sh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Webster, NY
Bikes: 1967 Peugeot UO-8, 1984 Torpado Beta, 1985 Trek 300, 1989 Dave Moulton Fuso FRX, '90s Hardrock x2, '90s Norco Pinnacle, Focus MB-350 IRO SSFGGB
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomcow2 View Post
I hate a loud and obnoxious exhaust system . Sometimes I wonder if people get a large and obnoxious exhaust to compensate for a small penis and generally small self esteem. If that's true, I don't want to give the wrong signals.
The exhaust system in my truck is pretty loud, probably because of the massive amount of holes in it. I can fit my whole head in the muffler.
polara426sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 11:42 AM   #12
wfin2004
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Riverview, Florida
Bikes: Trek 4900
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankshaftYQX View Post
The exhaust in one of my cars is very loud. However, it's because it's a virtually straight pipe. The car is driven every day, but it's built as a racecar. We didn't try to make it loud, we made power.


Racecar for the street? What you got?
wfin2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 11:44 AM   #13
wfin2004
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Riverview, Florida
Bikes: Trek 4900
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
Place I used to go to in Toledo covered everything. I bought a used car, found the warranty in the glove box, and went and got my exhaust all fixed up. The warranty was in a woman's name, so I said it was my GF.....it was a chain, Tuffy I think, but I might be mistaken. I know it wasn't Midas.

I did a lot with Tuffy on my work vans when I was in Toledo. Reputable, I must say. Midas on the other hand...
wfin2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 01:15 PM   #14
SkyeC
I scream for ice cream.
 
SkyeC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Broakland, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go make friends with the local muffler shop that works on real racecars, not wannabe racecars, and have them weld you up a stainless exhaust w/ pre-bent mandrel bends. Buy your own stainless muffler and resonator and have them do the rest. It'll be as expensive or cheaper than buying a pre-made set-up but will be everything you wanted since you can choose the muffling and get exactly what you want.
SkyeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 01:28 PM   #15
EthanYQX
Why not?
 
EthanYQX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Bikes: Giant STP 2
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfin2004 View Post
Racecar for the street? What you got?
It's built to rally, specifically Targa Newfoundland. It gets driven every day because its fun

It's a Honda Civic hatchback (I know, I know) with a 200-horsepower JDM B16B2.
EthanYQX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 03:01 PM   #16
wahoonc
Senior Member
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
Posts: 16,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Raw materials costs are up. I have no idea how much it is coming into play in your case. But we have seen a 50-70%+ increase in our cost of stainless steel sheets and SS wire mesh in the past year. I would look for a second price quote, or just get a decent stock system and replace it every few years.

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 03:25 PM   #17
cornholio
Senior Member
 
cornholio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What you need to do is to locate a local, independent exhaust shop and have them fabricate the system you want.
Guaranteed to be cheaper than a kit, and, if you find a somewhat reputable shop, similar quality as well.

As to the stainless thing, I don't know.
cornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 04:41 PM   #18
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme
Thread Starter
 
phantomcow2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NH
Bikes:
Posts: 6,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I am just going to order the stainless tubing I want and ask a muffler shop to bend it for me. I'll machine the flanges myself, that's very easy for me to do at work, and I know it will be true stainless steel. It should only take 15 minutes or so per mount to machine. I'll have the OD of the tube (already accurate with stainless steel) press into the flange, then just have the muffler shop weld it together for me. I think this might be the cheapest way to go, and I like the satisfaction of knowing that I made something .
Then I'll just stick on a premade stainless muffler (easy to find).
__________________
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run
phantomcow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 06:38 PM   #19
JF1
Senior Member
 
JF1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Bikes: 2006 Giant OCR 3 Composite
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know what kind of car you have but do you really think it is worth using SS? If you are going to end up using a shop to bend pipe that you bought yourself, it is still going to cost you about as much as it would if the shop did the whole job themselves. Those prices that were quoted in your first post actually sound fair. Good luck.
JF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 08:44 PM   #20
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme
Thread Starter
 
phantomcow2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NH
Bikes:
Posts: 6,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF1 View Post
I don't know what kind of car you have but do you really think it is worth using SS? If you are going to end up using a shop to bend pipe that you bought yourself, it is still going to cost you about as much as it would if the shop did the whole job themselves. Those prices that were quoted in your first post actually sound fair. Good luck.
It's worth putting SS on because:
1. It looks nice, and gives me peace of mind that I won't have to do anything under there again (related to the exhaust).
2. Winters in NH give punishment to the undercarriage of any vehicle, in particular the salt.
3. The car is parked outside year round, which can further exacerbate the problem of rusting.

Material costs for a system except the muffler are looking to be around $110-120. I will machine a flange myself, so it can bolt right onto the catalytic converter. I am sure getting pipe bent won't cost 300 dollars.
__________________
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run
phantomcow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 10:22 PM   #21
Gurgus
is as Gurgus does.
 
Gurgus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Otisburg
Bikes: A whole bunch o' bikes.
Posts: 910
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankshaftYQX View Post
It's built to rally, specifically Targa Newfoundland. It gets driven every day because its fun

It's a Honda Civic hatchback (I know, I know) with a 200-horsepower JDM B16B2.
You race the Targa? I love watching that when its on tv. It looks like alot of fun.
Gurgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 10:34 PM   #22
EthanYQX
Why not?
 
EthanYQX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Bikes: Giant STP 2
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurgus View Post
You race the Targa? I love watching that when its on tv. It looks like alot of fun.
I don't drive. My dad drives, a friend of his navigates, and I crew the car. Here's a timeline of our Targa runs.

2007: Car # 801, yellow Subaru Legacy-??

2006: Car # 1008, yellow Subaru Legacy-1st in division

2005: Car # 1008, red Honda Civic hatch-3rd in division

2004: Car # 1008, red Honda Civic hatch-11th in division

And, FWIW, it's awesome. Just be prepared to listen to the guys who have done it a few times and know what they're doing, and you'll be golden. And, trust your navigator!
EthanYQX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 08:11 AM   #23
ajay677
Senior Member
 
ajay677's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: For the record, I am not now, nor have I ever been, an idiot.
Bikes:
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomcow2 View Post
I think I am just going to order the stainless tubing I want and ask a muffler shop to bend it for me. I'll machine the flanges myself, that's very easy for me to do at work, and I know it will be true stainless steel. It should only take 15 minutes or so per mount to machine. I'll have the OD of the tube (already accurate with stainless steel) press into the flange, then just have the muffler shop weld it together for me. I think this might be the cheapest way to go, and I like the satisfaction of knowing that I made something .
Then I'll just stick on a premade stainless muffler (easy to find).
That's the way to go. When I worked for an aerospace company we fabricated a stainless exhaust system for one of the foreman. That tubing is probably still going stong 25 years later.
ajay677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 08:24 AM   #24
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Find a local shop that has been there for a long time and let them put in a system for you. No need for stainless steel if it has even a five or ten year guarantee you are probably fine. How long do you plan to keep this car?
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 08:57 AM   #25
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored
 
catatonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
Posts: 5,825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PC2,

Just get a regular exhaust system, and replace it as needed.

Even in Indiana, with all it's road salt and rust woes, we still only had to replace a few select components ever other year or longer.

Yes rust happens, it's the one truth of automobiles....that $1000 can go to something else.

And part longevity is not a concern on a first car....trust me, a few years later you will want something nicer, and then you won't get squat for the parts you put into it....that's the bad thing about parts, depreciation is insane on "mod" parts.

Mod it if you plan on keeping it for at least 5 years after it's paid off.....otherwise it's best to leave it stock.
catatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:21 PM.