Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-07-07, 02:47 AM   #1
electricaltape
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: pdx and san diego
Bikes: bianchi volpe and haro bmx
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
do you guys tip when you get take-out?

i know that it's not required. is it expected? any restaurant workers out there who can answer this?

i know that a dollar or two is nice... but honestly, it shouldn't be a part of my expenditure. sometimes, i end up budgeting myself to make sure i have tip money when i get food. i really want to stop doing that, because i'm a poor college student. i'm a generous tipper... over 20 percent almost every time for dining in and at bars. but this tipping society is becoming a bit much.

and i guess it might be more expected the more expensive a restaurant is.. but even then.. i'm more inclined to tip at the lower end joints.. where i tend to find workers who could use the tip more.

is it bad form to go to a nice place.. get take out that's over ten bucks? over twenty? and not tip?

not to mention.. if you're served a glass of water while you wait.. that's almost certain to get at least a dollar tip.. regardless of place. but even if they served you water.. that doesn't warrant a tip, does it?
electricaltape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 03:32 AM   #2
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No. I never, ever, received a tip on a take out order when I worked in restaurants (takeaway was rare in the places I worked at, but still), and I'd never expect one.

Why would you even think about tipping at a takeaway place?
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 05:50 AM   #3
Jersh
Home Brewing Beer Knurd
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Alexandria, VA
Bikes: Kona Fire Mountain
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I get take-out from a local Chinese joint and they always have a tip jar out. I also have never left them a tip. Another tip jar that really annoys me is when you go into a bar/club and have to pay cover and they have a tip jar at the cash register. WTF why I am going to give the girl a tip when I just paid $5 or $10 to get in... She's not doing me any type of service. It's even worse when the bouncers TELL you to leave a tip, of course I still never do. Don't get me wrong though, when I'm at a restaurant and have good service I'm a very generous tipper.
Jersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 06:09 AM   #4
c0urt
moving target
 
c0urt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: birmingham, al
Bikes: a masi speciale, and a kuota k-factor.
Posts: 2,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I tip just because I have waited tables bunches of times.

and others peoples tips have put wheels on my bike
c0urt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 06:19 AM   #5
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0urt View Post
I tip just because I have waited tables bunches of times.

and others peoples tips have put wheels on my bike
You performed a service for your tips. What service does a carryout restaurant perform to suggest they deserve tipping?
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 06:59 AM   #6
VegaVixen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
Posts: 1,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tip a delivery person. I tip a waitperson. But I don't tip the cook or the cashier, so I never tip for take-out.
VegaVixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 07:17 AM   #7
c0urt
moving target
 
c0urt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: birmingham, al
Bikes: a masi speciale, and a kuota k-factor.
Posts: 2,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
You performed a service for your tips. What service does a carryout restaurant perform to suggest they deserve tipping?

gotcha
c0urt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 07:19 AM   #8
Nicodemus
Feral Member
 
Nicodemus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Roma, Italia
Bikes: yes, I have one.
Posts: 2,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegaVixen View Post
I tip a delivery person. I tip a waitperson. But I don't tip the cook or the cashier, so I never tip for take-out.
That would be because the delivery person and the waiter cook your food then, right?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
Did you just say "minarchist?" I'm going to start a 10-page vaginathon because only Libertarians can define Libertarianism. Also, you're mean.
Nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 07:25 AM   #9
Nicodemus
Feral Member
 
Nicodemus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Roma, Italia
Bikes: yes, I have one.
Posts: 2,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricaltape View Post
i know that it's not required. is it expected? any restaurant workers out there who can answer this?

i know that a dollar or two is nice... but honestly, it shouldn't be a part of my expenditure. sometimes, i end up budgeting myself to make sure i have tip money when i get food. i really want to stop doing that, because i'm a poor college student. i'm a generous tipper... over 20 percent almost every time for dining in and at bars. but this tipping society is becoming a bit much.

and i guess it might be more expected the more expensive a restaurant is.. but even then.. i'm more inclined to tip at the lower end joints.. where i tend to find workers who could use the tip more.

is it bad form to go to a nice place.. get take out that's over ten bucks? over twenty? and not tip?

not to mention.. if you're served a glass of water while you wait.. that's almost certain to get at least a dollar tip.. regardless of place. but even if they served you water.. that doesn't warrant a tip, does it?
It's bad form to tip.

But then, it usually requires extricating oneself from a society drenched in tipping as the norm to appreciate that.

Here's a tip: try questioning the concept. It might be expected, but that's only because more and more people give in to it because it's expected. It's a vicious circle, are you gonna break the link?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
Did you just say "minarchist?" I'm going to start a 10-page vaginathon because only Libertarians can define Libertarianism. Also, you're mean.

Last edited by Nicodemus; 08-07-07 at 08:40 AM.
Nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 08:02 AM   #10
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
It's bad form to tip.

But then, it usually requires extricating oneself from a society drenching in tipping as the norm to appreciate that.

Here's a tip: try questioning the concept. It might be expected, but that's only because more and more people give in to it because it's expected. It's a vicious circle, are you gonna break the link?
Tipping in the States is completely different from tipping in Europe. In Europe the wait-staff are paid a decent wage that doesn't count on tips for income. In the States wait-staff are paid well below minimum wage with the understanding that tips will make up the difference.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 08:02 AM   #11
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0urt View Post
gotcha
Huh?
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 08:08 AM   #12
AGGRO
Mistadobalina
 
AGGRO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Clairemont
Bikes: Trek Hilo
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My local ice cream man has a tip jar.
AGGRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 08:13 AM   #13
trsidn 
Soggy Member
 
trsidn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
Tipping in the States is completely different from tipping in Europe. In Europe the wait-staff are paid a decent wage that doesn't count on tips for income. In the States wait-staff are paid well below minimum wage with the understanding that tips will make up the difference.
Absolutely. Wait staff wages are ridiculous.

However, tip jars at the ice cream shop are a little silly.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio View Post
.... Other than being completely wrong, you're correct.
trsidn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 08:17 AM   #14
VegaVixen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
Posts: 1,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
That would be because the delivery person and the waiter cook your food then, right?
???

When I go in for take-out, the only people between me and my food are the cook and the cashier, neither of whom I'd tip in any case. There is no delivery or waitperson involved. <confused Vega look>
VegaVixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 08:18 AM   #15
Tude 
Blasted Weeds
 
Tude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
Posts: 1,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegaVixen View Post
I tip a delivery person. I tip a waitperson. But I don't tip the cook or the cashier, so I never tip for take-out.
What she said.

However I have made the exception at this one Korean place I go to - husband/wife team --- and I alter the food and push them to make it hotter, etc - another words they've customized it - and they're nice. Have been out riding and then I realize there's this van pacing me (not crazy about that) and when I look to say something - there they were waving madly at me.

Then they tell me and another customer standing there how they saw me (saw me on tv a couple times being interviewed for my club and the crit we have in town) - they saw their "friend" on the bicycle.

Huh. Not just a customer, but a friend.

OK, so I tip them at least a buck.
Tude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 08:20 AM   #16
Mo'Phat
Scum, Freezebag!
 
Mo'Phat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Poway, CA
Bikes: 2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB
Posts: 4,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tip:

Valets
Waiters
Barbers*
Bellmen
Food Delivery guys

-- because their wages are tip-assumed. They get minumum wage (normally) and assume that tips will make up the difference.
*I tip my barber because I've been going to her for years. She's a friend, and giving her a $20 for a $13 haircut is worth it to me.

I don't tip:
Any restaurant with a tip jar - Subway, Starbucks, etc.
Any 'nice restaurant' take out - Chefs get paid what they're worth, and their wages are not tip-assumed. Most computer receipts will put the gratuity line on them automatically, regardless of in-house or take out dining.
Mechanics
Bike Shop wrenches


...call me crazy.

ps. Sometimes I'll tip the Cold Stone girls if there's a long line...Carpal Tunnel syndrome from mashing all that ice cream is a real hazard...and I like it when they go WOOWOO!
Mo'Phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 08:39 AM   #17
Nicodemus
Feral Member
 
Nicodemus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Roma, Italia
Bikes: yes, I have one.
Posts: 2,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
Tipping in the States is completely different from tipping in Europe. In Europe the wait-staff are paid a decent wage that doesn't count on tips for income. In the States wait-staff are paid well below minimum wage with the understanding that tips will make up the difference.
and? I already said, it's a vicious circle. I'm aware of the justification you give. But that doesn't make it ok. They get crappy wages because their bosses know they live on tips. So who's gonna break the link?

Fair enough, I understand people feel like they have to (as much as I disagree with it), but the worst are the people who actually defend it.

I see it time and time again, Ziemas. People who don't question this bizarre norm of their society, and furthermore so many that simply exacerbate it with increased tipping through some kind of induced guilt complex. It disgusts me.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
Did you just say "minarchist?" I'm going to start a 10-page vaginathon because only Libertarians can define Libertarianism. Also, you're mean.
Nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 08:44 AM   #18
Nicodemus
Feral Member
 
Nicodemus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Roma, Italia
Bikes: yes, I have one.
Posts: 2,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegaVixen View Post
???

When I go in for take-out, the only people between me and my food are the cook and the cashier, neither of whom I'd tip in any case. There is no delivery or waitperson involved. <confused Vega look>
So you don't tip the cook for doing their job.
You don't tip the cashier for doing their job.
But you do tip the delivery person for doing their job.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
Did you just say "minarchist?" I'm going to start a 10-page vaginathon because only Libertarians can define Libertarianism. Also, you're mean.
Nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 08:46 AM   #19
Nicodemus
Feral Member
 
Nicodemus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Roma, Italia
Bikes: yes, I have one.
Posts: 2,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
A very good friend of mine makes a habit of tipping big in all the bars he goes to - ensures he gets good service.

Doesn't anyone see the sickness of a society where you effectively need to bribe people to do their job?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
Did you just say "minarchist?" I'm going to start a 10-page vaginathon because only Libertarians can define Libertarianism. Also, you're mean.
Nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 08:47 AM   #20
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
and? I already said, it's a vicious circle. I'm aware of the justification you give. But that doesn't make it ok. They get crappy wages because their bosses know they live on tips. So who's gonna break the link?

Fair enough, I understand people feel like they have to (as much as I disagree with it), but the worst are the people who actually defend it.

I see it time and time again, Ziemas. People who don't question this bizarre norm of their society, and furthermore so many that simply exacerbate it with increased tipping through some kind of induced guilt complex. It disgusts me.
There is no guilt at all. That's the way the industry works in the States. No one forces anyone to eat at a restaurant.

If it wasn't that way then the cost of food on the menu would be higher and cheap people would then complain about the higher cost. If you want to be a cretin and not tip at American restaurants go ahead, but remember you are screwing someone out of part of their days wage.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 08:48 AM   #21
veganaise
toothless
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How much is the pre-tip price of a dinner in Europe compared to a similar dinner in America?
veganaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 08:51 AM   #22
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
A very good friend of mine makes a habit of tipping big in all the bars he goes to - ensures he gets good service.

Doesn't anyone see the sickness of a society where you effectively need to bribe people to do their job?
And I'm sure you'd whine if you had to pay the built in costs for service and got terrible service. Tipping insures that you get good service. Bad service = no tip.

At this point I'm just going to assume that you squeeze a pound so hard that the queen cries.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 08:51 AM   #23
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganaise View Post
How much is the pre-tip price of a dinner in Europe compared to a similar dinner in America?
It depends where you are, but as a whole Europe is more expensive.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 08:58 AM   #24
Nicodemus
Feral Member
 
Nicodemus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Roma, Italia
Bikes: yes, I have one.
Posts: 2,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
There is no guilt at all.
Yeah, right. The number of times I've seen people tip for mediocre or even poor service just because they feel they have to...

Get real man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziemas
If it wasn't that way then the cost of food on the menu would be higher and cheap people would then complain about the higher cost.
Yes, it's reflective of a society that values quantity above quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziemas
If you want to be a cretin and not tip at American restaurants go ahead, but remember you are screwing someone out of part of their days wage.
And for the yanks, if you want to be an ignoramus and tip in countries where it's not the norm go ahead, but remember that you're ruining the foreign cultures that you infect with that behaviour. Trust me on this, it DOES have an impact, and it's not good.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
Did you just say "minarchist?" I'm going to start a 10-page vaginathon because only Libertarians can define Libertarianism. Also, you're mean.
Nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 09:01 AM   #25
veganaise
toothless
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
And I'm sure you'd whine if you had to pay the built in costs for service and got terrible service. Tipping insures that you get good service. Bad service = no tip.
That's kind of where I was going with my previous post. If you include the cost of service and don't tip, you'll probably wind up spending the same amount as you would with the lower wage + tip. Add on top of that the quality of service that is somewhat ensured by tipping. But, as mentioned before, this completely breaks down when people tip for anything but good service.
veganaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:47 PM.