Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Administrator Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atomic batteries to power; turbines to speed
    My Bikes
    Salsa La Raza, Panasonic Electric, Bria, Bamboo touring, Bamboo cargo
    Posts
    4,699
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Lost my Cellphone

    And I'm going to buy one online. Anyone have one they really like, I could use suggestions? I don't send text messages, so I don't need a Blackberry style phone. Mostly I want one that has decent reception, being able to hold a few MP3's would be ok, but not necessary. AT&T network, but I don't want an iPhone until the second or third generation one comes out.

    Who knew all those years of watching StarTrek that Kirk's communicator was not the science fiction, but his reception was; the man could talk to space through a mile of rock.

    Oh, and anyone know why the phone companies splurge on the retail staff in the brick and mortar cell stores? They insist on only hiring full blown, blithering idiots, when regular idiots seem like they would do just fine.

    Many thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
    My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Posts
    1,643
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cingular/AT&T here. Using a Sony-Ericsson Z525a. It's ok, but occasionally turns itself off (a bad battery connection, I suspect, but I've not had time or inclination to deal with it).

    Damn. You're so calm. If I lost my phone, I'd be worried about the, uh, files on it.

  3. #3
    Administrator Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atomic batteries to power; turbines to speed
    My Bikes
    Salsa La Raza, Panasonic Electric, Bria, Bamboo touring, Bamboo cargo
    Posts
    4,699
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am flustered that I don't know anyone's phone number, but that's all I had on there.
    Gotta say, it's kinda nice without it. It's been so peaceful and quiet for the last two days.

    Now if I had lost my iPod, life without music, different story.

  4. #4
    Dude wheres my guads? skinnyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Guess
    My Bikes
    Not enough
    Posts
    2,680
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the Sony Ericson w810i

    GSM (Quad band), Bluetooth, Media and mp3 player which can take a memory card upto 2GB, GREAT tourch light function, 2MP campera with flash.

    Cons - No 3G or even Edge, no wifi, no full featured browser

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    998
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cingular 3125? You can get a decently sized (2 gigs) MicroSD card for it, and it definitely can play MP3s.

  6. #6
    Tail End Charlie Ritehsedad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Maine, The Way Life Should Be
    My Bikes
    Fuji Nevada MTB, Giant OCR1
    Posts
    545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VegaVixen View Post
    Cingular/AT&T here. Using a Sony-Ericsson Z525a. It's ok, but occasionally turns itself off (a bad battery connection, I suspect, but I've not had time or inclination to deal with it).

    Damn. You're so calm. If I lost my phone, I'd be worried about the, uh, files on it.
    Try using a paper shim.
    Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
    My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Posts
    1,643
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritehsedad View Post
    Try using a paper shim.
    Yeah. That worked on my old calculator, too.

    I just need to find time to sit down and determine exactly how it needs to be shimmed, if that's the real problem. I think one of the little prong thingies is actually bent too much. May have to unbend it a bit. But for now, I just keep checking to be sure it's on when it's supposed to be.

  8. #8
    1/2 man,1/2 bear,1/2 pig ManBearPig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    .
    My Bikes
    .
    Posts
    1,126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to recommend the Blackberry Pearl but I see you're not into that. It's a nice, small size but has a lovely color screen and multimedia apps. Pop in a 1GB microcard for 25 bucks and you have your occasional tunes handy too. Also can get cool free apps like maps and weather that are useful for planning cycling routine.

    Otherwise, the brand I trust most for phone and call quality is Nokia.

    Avoid Motorola at all costs...please, trust me on this point. I don't know how they stay in business producing the equiavelent of the Camaro in the phone industry (tacky, flashy looks with no real quality design or engineering).
    ...

  9. #9
    Retro-nerd georgiaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Morningside - Atlanta
    My Bikes
    2002 Cannondale Badboy, 2004 Bianchi Vigorelli
    Posts
    1,584
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Allen,

    I recommend a basic phone like a Sony/Erricson or Nokia. I have one like pictured below. I find that multi-device phone (i.e. camera, music player, interweb) are expensive and don't do any of the aforementioned very well. But to each his own. The Nokia have will stay charged for a week, has better signal reception than most phones, and better voice quality when using. Good Luck!

    Would you like a dream with that?

  10. #10
    Videre non videri
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    My Bikes
    1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike
    Posts
    3,202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like the more advanced stuff mobile phones come with now. When I had to replace my old 3310 a couple of years ago, I got a new Nokia 1100. Great phone! Basic stuff only, and a battery life of around two weeks (at least for the first year). Cheap too, and extremely durable. Mine has seen more than its share of hits and blows, but works perfectly so far.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Mr. Gear Jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenG View Post
    And I'm going to buy one online. Anyone have one they really like, I could use suggestions? I don't send text messages, so I don't need a Blackberry style phone. Mostly I want one that has decent reception, being able to hold a few MP3's would be ok, but not necessary. AT&T network, but I don't want an iPhone until the second or third generation one comes out.

    Who knew all those years of watching StarTrek that Kirk's communicator was not the science fiction, but his reception was; the man could talk to space through a mile of rock.

    Oh, and anyone know why the phone companies splurge on the retail staff in the brick and mortar cell stores? They insist on only hiring full blown, blithering idiots, when regular idiots seem like they would do just fine.

    Many thanks

    I have had my cell phone fall off my clip on my belt and go in the toliet, and 2 weeks ago i jumped in a pool and 30 minutes later i find my cell phone in my pocket. Those are some crazy things that have occured with the phones i own.
    Tropical pole vaulting is the shiznit.

  12. #12
    1/2 man,1/2 bear,1/2 pig ManBearPig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    .
    My Bikes
    .
    Posts
    1,126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gear Jammer View Post
    I have had my cell phone fall off my clip on my belt and go in the toliet, and 2 weeks ago i jumped in a pool and 30 minutes later i find my cell phone in my pocket. Those are some crazy things that have occured with the phones i own.
    And this is one of the primary reasons I predict the Iphone will fail in its current embodiment. With a large glass screen and metal frame, I doubt it'd survive one fall. And anyone who has owned a cell phone has dropped it at least 3 times. Most phones nowadays would survive numerous impacts, but I shudder to think what just 1 impact would do to the iphone.

    Might as well carry around a $600 faberge egg.
    ...

  13. #13
    phony collective progress x136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Hoosey
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/user/36663
    Posts
    2,958
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Simple = good.

    It does have a color screen, but aside from that, it doesn't seem to do much other than be a phone. No camera, no MP3 functionality that I know of, none of that. Cheap, and seems to be pretty durable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •