Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Senior Member BillK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Maryland suburbs outside Washington D.C.
    My Bikes
    '06 Specialized Roubiax Expert, '08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29, Nishiki frame
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Careful, nail guns are dangerous...

    Wouldn't ya know...

    I volunteered to help my brother-in-law frame out his soon-to-be-renovated/enlarged upstairs bathroom after I learned he'd injured his hand when his right hand made contact with a circular saw he was using to enlarge his roof opening (he's adding a dormer) after the ladder he was standing on moved suddenly. Fortunately, he's okay. He'll have the scars and maybe some loss of motion/feeling, but all five digits are still there.

    After working the past five weekend days in the heat stripping shingles, working out compound angles and cutting sheets of plywood, it happened. I was trying to attach the last stud of a soffit frame to the ridge beam and, after climbing up into the rafters (about 20' up in the air), decided it would be just a little too much trouble to move into the correct position to shot the framing nail (the stud had a slight twist and was off position by ~1/2"). Needless to say, I was tired, hot and impatient to finish. So I reached up with both hands, aiming the *** at the stud (and facing slightly back at myself...you can see where this is going, can't you?), pushed the stud into position and pulled the trigger.

    Sure enough, the action of the air piston caused the tip of the nail *** to shift slightly and before I could blink an eye, the nail *** fired a brand new 16d framing nail about 1" into my left forearm. Oddly, it didn't hurt much. I looked down, realized what a stupid f'n decision I'd just made and pulled the nail out. I then moved into the correct position (due to a sudden shot of motivation), shot the nail using the right technique the second time and climbed down.

    Fortunately for me, the nail missed my artery and any/all bones and bled only a small amount on removal. I had my niece bandage me up and asked me wife call my doctor. He indicated I didn't need to visit the clinic for a tetanus shot as I'd had one in the last 10 years. A day later and there's no real pain, no swelling, no nasty black & blue mark. I consider myself a very lucky man. So, for all those who work with power tools of any kind....take your time and be careful, the life/limb you save may be your own.

  2. #2
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,084
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    you realize of course that this thread is useless without pictures.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  3. #3
    Senior Member BillK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Maryland suburbs outside Washington D.C.
    My Bikes
    '06 Specialized Roubiax Expert, '08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29, Nishiki frame
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    you realize of course that this thread is useless without pictures.
    True, but in this case the thread wouldn't really benefit from a picture...the wound is a small 1/16" dark red circle, smaller than some of my moles.

  4. #4
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,084
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    improvise, embellish and outright lie. works for me.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Will G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Granbury, Texas
    Posts
    703
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    improvise, embellish and outright lie. works for me.

    +1 Another form of that is called the 5% truth rule. Only 5% of the story has to be true. The rest of the story can be subject to artistic license. Did the nail pass through the wood or is that one weak nail ***?
    Flying a jet is no different than riding a bicycle. It's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton
    Posts
    1,727
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience, simply stepping on a nail can cause days of pain and some trouble walking. The time it happened to me I dipped into my vike stash. Never had a nail through the arm myself. Think I'd probably prefer the foot again.

    Certainly it could have been worse. Glad to hear you're okay.
    Bring back the Sig Test!


    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  7. #7
    That darn Yankee TexasGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    West West Fort Worth
    My Bikes
    Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
    Posts
    4,286
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kay, this is why Dean Johnson gives all of those warnings at the beginning and ending of Home time
    Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
    "Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
    So many sayings, so little sig space.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton
    Posts
    1,727
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Home time is only a slight improvement over Bob Vila. That is, it's essentialy watching paint dry while getting a lecture on **** a 4 year old could easily equate in his own head having had no construction experience.
    Bring back the Sig Test!


    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  9. #9
    Senior Member Indyv8a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Reisterstown Maryland
    My Bikes
    Austro-Daimler Olympian Trek 800, Giant OCR C3
    Posts
    428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the victim of a table saw accident, I should have skipped this. And I mean this as a cold shiver, sweat producing, flight reaction.
    Slow, but at least still moving...

  10. #10
    Chepooka StupidlyBrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Central PA
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indyv8a View Post
    As the victim of a table saw accident, I should have skipped this. And I mean this as a cold shiver, sweat producing, flight reaction.
    As someone considering a project which would have the workpiece travel parallel to the axis of a table saw blade (without safety devices), I shouldn't have read that.

    Glad it worked out, OP.

  11. #11
    Chepooka StupidlyBrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Central PA
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    improvise, embellish and outright lie. works for me.
    I believe this is a Foo "law".

  12. #12
    almost kosher
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    398
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nail guns don't kill people. nails kill people.

  13. #13
    Dude wheres my guads? skinnyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Guess
    My Bikes
    Not enough
    Posts
    2,680
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no **** homes.. glad it didnt impale you on a more sensitive spot.

  14. #14
    Crawlin' up, flyin' down bikingshearer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Democratic Peoples' Republic of Berkeley
    My Bikes
    1967 Paramount, 1982-ish Ron Cooper,1986 De Rosa Professional, 1978 Eisentraut "A," 1961 BianchiCompetizione, 1994 Trek 520, 199? Burley Bossa Nova
    Posts
    3,050
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recipe for Disaster

    Take one home improvement project.
    Stir in several days of heat and unexpected problems.
    Add ladder or scaffolding. (A single, unsecured board slung between 55 gallon drums is particularly effective. Even more effective is the raised bucket of a skip loader - been there, done that.)
    Remove all safety googles, work gloves, hard hats, hair restraint (if applicable).
    Apply to one overheated, tired, "I'm ready for a beer" guy.
    Stir in testosterone to taste.
    Disengage common sense.
    Add power tools.

    No other baking, stirring, cooking, thinking or anything required. With this fool-proof recipe, you'll soon have your very own Disaster on your hands, as if by magic.

    Oh, and while the recipe doesn't require it, people seem most often come upon just the right mix of ingredients late Saturday afternoon, just in time to get caught up in the Saturday evening rush at the local emergency room. At least that's been my experience.
    "I'm in shape -- round is a shape." Andy Rooney

  15. #15
    Unique Vintage Steel cuda2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Allen, TX
    My Bikes
    Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Schwinn Crosscut, All-City Space Horse
    Posts
    11,486
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dad shot a framing nail into the fleshy part of his hand below the thumb once after the board unexpectedly rotated/moved on him. The cause of this movement was his brother on the other end of the board. Unfortuntely for my father this particular nail was not only the type with a screw style end making it more difficult to remove, but was also coated with something that caused a rather nasty reaction a few days later. Glad your nail *** incident didn't end up as bad, but certainly keep an eye on the spot and keep it clean!
    [CENTER][URL="http://VeloBase.com"][IMG]http://velobase.com/App_Themes/VeloBase2_blue/Images/VeloBase2TitleCampagnolo.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://JonPFischer.com"][COLOR="#006400"]Fischer Photography[/COLOR][/URL] - [URL="http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/785462-My-new-modern-quot-Classic-quot-Kirk-JKS-Classic-Terraplane"][COLOR="#8b0000"]Kirk Frameworks JKS-Classic Build Thread[/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]

  16. #16
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,084
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikingshearer View Post
    Recipe for Disaster

    Take one home improvement project.
    Stir in several days of heat and unexpected problems.
    Add ladder or scaffolding. (A single, unsecured board slung between 55 gallon drums is particularly effective. Even more effective is the raised bucket of a skip loader - been there, done that.)
    Remove all safety googles, work gloves, hard hats, hair restraint (if applicable).
    Apply to one overheated, tired, "I'm ready for a beer" guy.
    Stir in testosterone to taste.
    Disengage common sense.
    Add power tools.

    No other baking, stirring, cooking, thinking or anything required. With this fool-proof recipe, you'll soon have your very own Disaster on your hands, as if by magic.

    Oh, and while the recipe doesn't require it, people seem most often come upon just the right mix of ingredients late Saturday afternoon, just in time to get caught up in the Saturday evening rush at the local emergency room. At least that's been my experience.
    I gotta go watch Money Pit after reading this.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  17. #17
    Blasted Weeds Tude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
    Posts
    1,183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    you realize of course that this thread is useless without pictures.
    Yick.

    Ex-husband had 150 lb metal (don't ask me what he was doing with it) slab smash down on his hand - and he called me out to help.

    <barf>

    he lost a couple fingers ...

    (I'm good with my blood, not anyone else's ...)

  18. #18
    Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP) Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillK View Post
    Wouldn't ya know...

    I volunteered to help my brother-in-law frame out his soon-to-be-renovated/enlarged upstairs bathroom after I learned he'd injured his hand when his right hand made contact with a circular saw he was using to enlarge his roof opening (he's adding a dormer) after the ladder he was standing on moved suddenly. Fortunately, he's okay. He'll have the scars and maybe some loss of motion/feeling, but all five digits are still there.

    After working the past five weekend days in the heat stripping shingles, working out compound angles and cutting sheets of plywood, it happened. I was trying to attach the last stud of a soffit frame to the ridge beam and, after climbing up into the rafters (about 20' up in the air), decided it would be just a little too much trouble to move into the correct position to shot the framing nail (the stud had a slight twist and was off position by ~1/2"). Needless to say, I was tired, hot and impatient to finish. So I reached up with both hands, aiming the *** at the stud (and facing slightly back at myself...you can see where this is going, can't you?), pushed the stud into position and pulled the trigger.

    Sure enough, the action of the air piston caused the tip of the nail *** to shift slightly and before I could blink an eye, the nail *** fired a brand new 16d framing nail about 1" into my left forearm. Oddly, it didn't hurt much. I looked down, realized what a stupid f'n decision I'd just made and pulled the nail out. I then moved into the correct position (due to a sudden shot of motivation), shot the nail using the right technique the second time and climbed down.

    Fortunately for me, the nail missed my artery and any/all bones and bled only a small amount on removal. I had my niece bandage me up and asked me wife call my doctor. He indicated I didn't need to visit the clinic for a tetanus shot as I'd had one in the last 10 years. A day later and there's no real pain, no swelling, no nasty black & blue mark. I consider myself a very lucky man. So, for all those who work with power tools of any kind....take your time and be careful, the life/limb you save may be your own.
    A shame y'all lived this would have been hella good Darwin material!

  19. #19
    Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP) Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappets View Post
    nail guns don't kill people. Stoopid kills people.
    Fixed it for you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •