Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Nemesis of the mountain Cot Du Trent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cocoa, Fl.
    My Bikes
    A 2005 Giant OCR3 and a 1970s Giant Quasar Fixed/Free conversion
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    College services suck.

    Why is it that every service, either affiliated or unaffiliated, with a college sucks?

    They charge you ridiculous prices for services they can't even adequately provide! I've experienced this in EVERY college bookstore (minus the "can't provide" part), and nearly every other student pandering service.

    Most recently, I've encountered this with parking at a student dormitory that I live in, which is unaffiliated with the school. They overbooked the parking for their small spit of spots, and gave us temporary passes every week for the past month. Apparently, if you arrived in the morning of the first day (I got there in the afternoon) or if you were privileged (I can only assume) then you received your permanent. The rest of us? Got the shaft. A month after my initial move in, another college begins classes and another group of students move in. The permanent passes went out to them and, in part, to the rest of us if we happened to get there at the right time, which is a circumstance based on sheer luck, as you just had to have happened to be down there getting your temporary renewed.
    Today, I found out that not only will I not be getting my permanent pass for awhile, but I also won't be allowed any temporary passes either, since the lot is so full. Basically, they told me I'm SOL for a service I ALREADY PAID FOR! I tried to convince them to give me one, using the small amount of law I've learned in my 3 weeks as a law student, but it didn't take, and just made them mad at me.
    So I decided to try and get a parking pass from the school (it's literally a five minute walk from the dorm), only to find that they didn't allow overnight parking. Well, as I'm not one to give up the fight early, I went to the pharmacy school (right next to my school), the medical school (across the street), the hospital (also across the street) and the hotel (also across the street, but on Holland, not New Scotland). None of them would give me a pass. I looked for public parking around Albany, but it was all really expensive. So here are my options:
    1) Keep my car where it is and risk a ticket any day now.
    2) Move my car to a side street during the day, and onto a parking meter after six when the meters are free (free all weekend too).


  2. #2
    ★ ★ ★
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a laundry list of complaints for the apple guy at montana state univ.

  3. #3
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get used to it. Disappointment is not just associated with college affiliated services.
    Just wait till you try to deal with an actual government office.....holy mackeral what a pain in the @ss.

  4. #4
    Nemesis of the mountain Cot Du Trent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cocoa, Fl.
    My Bikes
    A 2005 Giant OCR3 and a 1970s Giant Quasar Fixed/Free conversion
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
    i have a laundry list of complaints for the apple guy at montana state univ.
    What's the apple guy?

  5. #5
    Nemesis of the mountain Cot Du Trent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cocoa, Fl.
    My Bikes
    A 2005 Giant OCR3 and a 1970s Giant Quasar Fixed/Free conversion
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    Get used to it. Disappointment is not just associated with college affiliated services.
    I can deal with disappointment. It's incompetence I hate.

  6. #6
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cot Du Trent View Post
    I can deal with disappointment. It's incompetence I hate.
    The disappoinment comes from their incompetence...trust me on this one.

  7. #7
    Nemesis of the mountain Cot Du Trent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cocoa, Fl.
    My Bikes
    A 2005 Giant OCR3 and a 1970s Giant Quasar Fixed/Free conversion
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    The disappoinment comes from their incompetence...trust me on this one.
    I guess. I have no desire to get used to it though. I'd rather see it fixed.

  8. #8
    Corduroy bike shorts?
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Caldwell, Idaho
    My Bikes
    Mid '80's Schwinn Sprint, 2000 Ford branded Kona Blast (came with a free car), some others which are not ridable yet.
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow,

    I'm sorry to hear that the services where you are are so terrible. I have the other end of the spectrum where I go to school. Bike racks are plentiful and near the buildings. They have put food vendors all over the campus. The regular campus dining problem is horrible, but we have a college of culinary arts that sells GREAT lunches for under $10.00. We even have electronically secured indoor bike storage on our campus for a mere $10.00 per semester. This includes a locker rental and access to shower facilities. We also get free access to city and inter-county buses. It's pretty nice all around.

    Maybe you should move to Boise, Idaho? We have it pretty good.

  9. #9
    Gorntastic! v1k1ng1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States of Mexico
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cot Du Trent View Post
    Why is it that every service, either affiliated or unaffiliated, with a college sucks?

    They charge you ridiculous prices for services they can't even adequately provide! I've experienced this in EVERY college bookstore (minus the "can't provide" part), and nearly every other student pandering service.

    Most recently, I've encountered this with parking at a student dormitory that I live in, which is unaffiliated with the school. They overbooked the parking for their small spit of spots, and gave us temporary passes every week for the past month. Apparently, if you arrived in the morning of the first day (I got there in the afternoon) or if you were privileged (I can only assume) then you received your permanent. The rest of us? Got the shaft. A month after my initial move in, another college begins classes and another group of students move in. The permanent passes went out to them and, in part, to the rest of us if we happened to get there at the right time, which is a circumstance based on sheer luck, as you just had to have happened to be down there getting your temporary renewed.
    Today, I found out that not only will I not be getting my permanent pass for awhile, but I also won't be allowed any temporary passes either, since the lot is so full. Basically, they told me I'm SOL for a service I ALREADY PAID FOR! I tried to convince them to give me one, using the small amount of law I've learned in my 3 weeks as a law student, but it didn't take, and just made them mad at me.
    So I decided to try and get a parking pass from the school (it's literally a five minute walk from the dorm), only to find that they didn't allow overnight parking. Well, as I'm not one to give up the fight early, I went to the pharmacy school (right next to my school), the medical school (across the street), the hospital (also across the street) and the hotel (also across the street, but on Holland, not New Scotland). None of them would give me a pass. I looked for public parking around Albany, but it was all really expensive. So here are my options:
    1) Keep my car where it is and risk a ticket any day now.
    2) Move my car to a side street during the day, and onto a parking meter after six when the meters are free (free all weekend too).

    That sucks. What you can do is get a refund and arrange something with a nearby church. Usually no one is there during the week and they're happy to take a few bucks to let you park during the week. You just have to move your car on Sunday morning. I did this for a few years at Penn State.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.2
    Posts
    103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having the same problem. Took a graduate course last summer that was supposed to for 8 hours and my transcript is only showing 6. Not a huge deal but it is a difference of about $1,000 in pay this year. Asshats.

  11. #11
    Kicked out of the Webelos bluebottle1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cot Du Trent View Post
    Why is it that every service, either affiliated or unaffiliated, with a college sucks?
    The purpose of college is, at least in part, to prepare you for the real world of work and life. Once you're out there, you'll realize something. Every service in the real world sucks, too. So, really, college is just doing you a favor by not getting your hopes up.
    ______________________________________________

    Kicked out of the Webelos.

  12. #12
    Giving you the business. Cypress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah, Giant Trinity Advanced, Specialized Crux
    Posts
    4,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
    i have a laundry list of complaints for the apple guy at montana state univ.
    Wait a tick....
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator
    Dear Cypress,

    You have received an infraction at Bike Forums.

  13. #13
    Wood Licker Maelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Whistler,BC
    My Bikes
    Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
    Posts
    16,888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple lesson, services suck in general. You have to learn to do everything on your own. Its the way life/work and whatever else there is, is. There will always be shortcomings of someone or something, learn to work with those and then enjoy the ones who do help and you will live a glass half full kind of life.

  14. #14
    Nemesis of the mountain Cot Du Trent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cocoa, Fl.
    My Bikes
    A 2005 Giant OCR3 and a 1970s Giant Quasar Fixed/Free conversion
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001 View Post
    That sucks. What you can do is get a refund and arrange something with a nearby church. Usually no one is there during the week and they're happy to take a few bucks to let you park during the week. You just have to move your car on Sunday morning. I did this for a few years at Penn State.
    That's a great idea! Thanks! I'll try that!

  15. #15
    J E R S E Y S B E S T Jerseysbest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    1,852
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Freshman with a car? Good luck. I didn't have parking my freshman year. If I wanted to have my car, it had to stay on the ever so safe streets of baltimore.
    Quote Originally Posted by SingingSabre View Post
    Cheating: a symptom of the problem.

  16. #16
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes they do!
    My first week, and I learned all about it. For one, UNH has a pathetic parking setup. It's the campus joke, until you get towed.
    I have never seen a place so ruthless, in regards to their parking policies. They'll tow and ticket you for ANYTHING. They sell more parking permits than they have spaces, a lot more. You have two choices for parking:
    Arrive at 5AM to get a shot at the large parking lot designated for commuter students. Chances are, the spot closest to the classes is taken, but at least it's something. You'll have to sleep in your car and/or pitch a tent because your class doesn't start 'till 9:40.

    Or, park at the other parking lots......2.5 miles away. They have a bus every 15 minutes to come get you though.

    We know an administrator at UNH, and I asked him about the parking. He laughed and told me that UNH makes $300,000 dollars a year on parking fines alone. That if they made another parking lot (which they have space for), they would lose that source of revenue. And that is the reason it won't happen. A parking permit is like a hunting permit - permission to search for game. Not a promise that you'll get any.
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

  17. #17
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have metered parking? If it's worth 24 dollars to you per day (assuming .25 per 15 minutes), you can put in 24 dollars worth of quarters
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

  18. #18
    Nemesis of the mountain Cot Du Trent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cocoa, Fl.
    My Bikes
    A 2005 Giant OCR3 and a 1970s Giant Quasar Fixed/Free conversion
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerseysbest View Post
    Freshman with a car? Good luck. I didn't have parking my freshman year. If I wanted to have my car, it had to stay on the ever so safe streets of baltimore.
    No, law student, but my undergrad was close to home, so I parked on campus. On the streets? Man that sucks. I hope that isn't the end result for me.

  19. #19
    Nemesis of the mountain Cot Du Trent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cocoa, Fl.
    My Bikes
    A 2005 Giant OCR3 and a 1970s Giant Quasar Fixed/Free conversion
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomcow2 View Post
    Do you have metered parking? If it's worth 24 dollars to you per day (assuming .25 per 15 minutes), you can put in 24 dollars worth of quarters
    LOL. It might be, but I'm extremely frugal (not by nature, by necessity). Thanks for the thought though!

  20. #20
    Nemesis of the mountain Cot Du Trent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cocoa, Fl.
    My Bikes
    A 2005 Giant OCR3 and a 1970s Giant Quasar Fixed/Free conversion
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomcow2 View Post
    Yes they do!
    My first week, and I learned all about it. For one, UNH has a pathetic parking setup. It's the campus joke, until you get towed.
    I have never seen a place so ruthless, in regards to their parking policies. They'll tow and ticket you for ANYTHING. They sell more parking permits than they have spaces, a lot more. You have two choices for parking:
    Arrive at 5AM to get a shot at the large parking lot designated for commuter students. Chances are, the spot closest to the classes is taken, but at least it's something. You'll have to sleep in your car and/or pitch a tent because your class doesn't start 'till 9:40.

    Or, park at the other parking lots......2.5 miles away. They have a bus every 15 minutes to come get you though.

    We know an administrator at UNH, and I asked him about the parking. He laughed and told me that UNH makes $300,000 dollars a year on parking fines alone. That if they made another parking lot (which they have space for), they would lose that source of revenue. And that is the reason it won't happen. A parking permit is like a hunting permit - permission to search for game. Not a promise that you'll get any.
    Lol. Yeah, the same with these apartments. If only they'd actually give me my pass that I paid for...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •