Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-11-07, 12:30 PM   #1
henria86
Boosted Mr2
Thread Starter
 
henria86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NYC
Bikes: Klein's Merlin's
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How not to go on a Job Interview...

It's just a rant ... What's wrong with the young kids now a days..
I had 2 kids in the early 20's come over for a interview, an they don't even have a polo shirt or slacks on or even clean shaven .. with out a pen an resume??? I had to go send them home an tell them to come back with a resume an dress correctly before i even see them.. Only reason i told them to come back, because its my security guard son..
What's up with the Younger Gen???
henria86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 12:31 PM   #2
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 12:34 PM   #3
coolidge
silent, but deadly
 
coolidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: a quiet spot
Bikes: something vintage, probably.
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kids who come into the family store and ask for an application get handed a clipboard with a blank piece of paper on it.

The things they put on there (and leave off) are priceless.

"Young man, you forgot to put your name on the application."
coolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 12:35 PM   #4
StrangeWill
Senior Member
 
StrangeWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fallbrook, CA.
Bikes:
Posts: 1,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Depends on the job really. I mean I'll be showered and clean, but like going into a Pizza shop for an interview, dressing up was a little silly... and what the hell is a computer oriented resume going to do me?

On the other hand, a job environment that I need to come in my own dress as opposed to a uniform... yeah that definitely demands nicer dress.

Now if you're paying a nice bit above minimum wage, regardless of the nature of the job, I can understand...



You know, but walking in wearing like $50+ worth of clothes to a job I wont make $50 a day at... kind of ironic. And frankly for low pay, the job needs to be more laid back than that anyway.

Last edited by StrangeWill; 09-11-07 at 12:50 PM.
StrangeWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 12:36 PM   #5
timmhaan
more ape than man
 
timmhaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nyc
Bikes:
Posts: 8,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
haha!

reminds me of a friend of mine who used to fold up job applications in his pocket and then turn them in all crinkled up.
timmhaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 12:38 PM   #6
eubi
No Rocket Surgeon
 
eubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Corona and S. El Monte, CA
Bikes: Cannondale D600, Dahon Speed T7
Posts: 1,648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by henria86 View Post
It's just a rant ... What's wrong with the young kids now a days..
I had 2 kids in the early 20's come over for a interview, an they don't even have a polo shirt or slacks on or even clean shaven ..

Hmmm. This is how I dress every day...glad I'm a tech-head...it's expected...

But your point is well-taken.

You only have one chance to make a good first impression.
__________________
Fewer Cars, more handlebars!
eubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 12:45 PM   #7
squegeeboo
******
 
squegeeboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: Specalized Tri-Cross
Posts: 951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Always suit it to a job interview. Always bring a pad and pen, and a few copies of your resume. I thought these were well known, until I started watching my friends go on interviews.
__________________
In the words of Einstein
"And now I think I'll take a bath"
squegeeboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 12:46 PM   #8
timmhaan
more ape than man
 
timmhaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nyc
Bikes:
Posts: 8,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squegeeboo View Post
Always suit it to a job interview. Always bring a pad and pen, and a few copies of your resume. I thought these were well known, until I started watching my friends go on interviews.
i think it's good. more jobs for me when these guys tank on the interview. all i have to do is put on a clean shirt and i'm in.
timmhaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 12:58 PM   #9
Indy_Rider
Banned
 
Indy_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: On a boat
Bikes: 2000 Fisher Paragon, 2005 Giant OCR2, 2006 Bianchi SASS, numerous others
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by henria86 View Post
It's just a rant ... What's wrong with the young kids now a days..
I had 2 kids in the early 20's come over for a interview, an they don't even have a polo shirt or slacks on or even clean shaven .. with out a pen an resume??? I had to go send them home an tell them to come back with a resume an dress correctly before i even see them.. Only reason i told them to come back, because its my security guard son..
What's up with the Younger Gen???
Yeah, but was their grammar as bad as yours?
Indy_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 01:06 PM   #10
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Here in Saudi Alberta you could show up naked stinking of booze and you would still get the job. Seriously, most of the ads on the radio are companies looking for employees… I can remember a time when those were used to sell products.
Enthalpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 01:25 PM   #11
henria86
Boosted Mr2
Thread Starter
 
henria86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NYC
Bikes: Klein's Merlin's
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
YUP thats my bad chinglish!!
henria86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 01:26 PM   #12
timmhaan
more ape than man
 
timmhaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nyc
Bikes:
Posts: 8,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by henria86 View Post
YUP thats my bad chinglish!!
did you post that while you were working?
timmhaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 02:35 PM   #13
wabbit
Sprockette
 
wabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 5,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that's because employers are so freaked out and hiring anyone they think is too OLD...so 20 somethings feel it's in the bag if they show up in shorts and flipflops...
__________________
You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. That's great...if you want to attract vermin.
wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 03:09 PM   #14
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!
 
jyossarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the 212
Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
Posts: 8,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by henria86 View Post
It's just a rant ... What's wrong with the young kids now a days..
What's up with the Younger Gen???
Dude, aren't you part of the younger generation?
__________________
HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
jyossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 03:14 PM   #15
skiahh
Senior Member
 
skiahh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: CO Springs, CO
Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWill View Post
Depends on the job really. I mean I'll be showered and clean, but like going into a Pizza shop for an interview, dressing up was a little silly... and what the hell is a computer oriented resume going to do me?

On the other hand, a job environment that I need to come in my own dress as opposed to a uniform... yeah that definitely demands nicer dress.

Now if you're paying a nice bit above minimum wage, regardless of the nature of the job, I can understand...



You know, but walking in wearing like $50+ worth of clothes to a job I wont make $50 a day at... kind of ironic. And frankly for low pay, the job needs to be more laid back than that anyway.
I bet your sneakers cost more than $50.

You probably ought to learn the quickest ways to the closest shelter/welfare office/assistance center, because with an attitude like that, I can't imagine anyone wanting to hire you!
skiahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 03:18 PM   #16
ManBearPig
1/2 man,1/2 bear,1/2 pig
 
ManBearPig's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: .
Bikes: .
Posts: 1,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Back in my engineering days I interviewed an engineering student for an intern position (i.e. the type of job that can turn into a professional job after graduation). This guy was wearing jeans and tennis shoes. He was perplexed why he didn't get the job. He was a friend of a friend, and I dared to explain to the friend why -- because you do not interview for a professional-type position in jeans.
__________________
...
ManBearPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 03:54 PM   #17
atomship47
the actual el guapo
 
atomship47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest
Bikes: '06 trek 7300, '05 db wildwood, '07 felt z35
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i keep notes on all these things. someday i'm going to put all these things together in a book.


i had a girl applying for an accounting position write in her experience section; "copulation of the monthly budget"



when i was interviewing a welder,

me: why did you leave your last job?
him: i got fired.
me: why?
him: because i beat up my boss?
me: why?
him: because he's an a*$-hole!

i didn't know whether to hire him for his honesty or run him out for not having the sense to know when to be tactful with his honesty.

here's another one;

me: why are you looking to make a career change?
him: because i work too many hours. i work 16 hours a day now. i need to be home more because my wife is having an affair.
atomship47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 04:47 PM   #18
banerjek
Portland Fred
 
banerjek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid
Posts: 11,174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by henria86 View Post
It's just a rant ... What's wrong with the young kids now a days..
I had 2 kids in the early 20's come over for a interview, an they don't even have a polo shirt or slacks on or even clean shaven .. with out a pen an resume??? I had to go send them home an tell them to come back with a resume an dress correctly before i even see them.. Only reason i told them to come back, because its my security guard son..
What's up with the Younger Gen???
I've seen this at interviews for professional positions. Life is less formal than it used to be. However, some people confuse not acting like a stiff with not being prepared. The good news is that it takes practically nothing to set yourself from the crowd nowadays.
banerjek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 04:49 PM   #19
Cypress
Giving you the business.
 
Cypress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
Bikes: Ridley Noah, Giant Trinity Advanced, Specialized Crux
Posts: 4,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fire spewing 3S-GTE, FTW!!!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator
Dear Cypress,

You have received an infraction at Bike Forums.
Cypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 04:58 PM   #20
ngateguy
Center of the Universe
 
ngateguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Everett, WA
Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700
Posts: 4,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squegeeboo View Post
Always suit it to a job interview. Always bring a pad and pen, and a few copies of your resume. I thought these were well known, until I started watching my friends go on interviews.
Always dress for the job you are applying for. Over dressing can be as bad as under dressing. Make sure that your are wearing clean clothes and that you are clean. Bring your resume and pens.
__________________
Matthew 6
ngateguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 09:10 PM   #21
henria86
Boosted Mr2
Thread Starter
 
henria86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NYC
Bikes: Klein's Merlin's
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyossarian View Post
Dude, aren't you part of the younger generation?
Lol... younger gen??? me 33.. i have guys that are way older then me in there 50's working with me, and an kids that i hired earlier in the years, always came to interviews very clean cut an always had a copy of the resume, along with a pen to fill out the applications, an ready for the drug test.. instead of NOTHING READY AT ALL !Plus asking when they can take there Vacations & Promotions... when there not even hired.....asking to postone the drug test an come back for it later....
what the hell... is the younger kids thinking of???
henria86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 09:20 PM   #22
Caspar_s
Senior Member
 
Caspar_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Burlington, ON
Bikes: Giant Tcx1
Posts: 530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have no idea how I would respond to being asked to do a drug test.

I don't know whether that is just because I haven't ever done anything but alcohol. Never even tried smoking - the second hand smoke is bad enough.

It.... I don't know whether I would want to work for a company that has to do that.
Caspar_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 09:27 PM   #23
Cypress
Giving you the business.
 
Cypress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
Bikes: Ridley Noah, Giant Trinity Advanced, Specialized Crux
Posts: 4,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would love to work for a company that does drug tests.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator
Dear Cypress,

You have received an infraction at Bike Forums.
Cypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 09:52 PM   #24
donnamb 
tired
 
donnamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
Posts: 5,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomship47 View Post
me: why are you looking to make a career change?
him: because i work too many hours. i work 16 hours a day now. i need to be home more because my wife is having an affair.
Were you able to keep a straight face?
__________________
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
donnamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 11:26 PM   #25
ferd_miller
Thin mint, anyone?
 
ferd_miller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central VA
Bikes: Trek 1000 road, Trek 720 Multitrack hybrid
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomship47 View Post
i had a girl applying for an accounting position write in her experience section; "copulation of the monthly budget"
I don't suppose she provided a sample of her work...?
ferd_miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:03 PM.