Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
  1. #1
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    This place is ****ed UP!!!

    What the hell is going on 'round here...New ad system is sweet, browsing threads is even sweeter especially when you can't read!

  2. #2
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must be forum issues related to implementing new advertisements. Oh joy.....glad to see the proper priorities.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  3. #3
    grilled cheesus aham23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    8675309
    My Bikes
    2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport
    Posts
    6,933
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what ads?

  4. #4
    Squirrelly Member trsidn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
    Posts
    233
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im thinkin if you have the star, you have paid something, so you don't see ads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariah View Post
    Transcendental enumeration.

  5. #5
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,336
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aham23 View Post
    what ads?
    some of us refuse to drink the kool aid.

  6. #6
    Squirrelly Member trsidn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
    Posts
    233
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto View Post
    some of us refuse to drink the kool aid.
    dreenk eeeeeeeet!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariah View Post
    Transcendental enumeration.

  7. #7
    370H-SSV-0773H linux_author's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Penniless Park, Fla.
    My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Posts
    2,760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyquest View Post
    What the hell is going on 'round here...New ad system is sweet, browsing threads is even sweeter especially when you can't read!
    http://adblockplus.org/en/

  8. #8
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto View Post
    some of us refuse to drink the kool aid.
    No....just too cheap to support something that gives you so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  9. #9
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linux_author View Post
    The ads bother me less then forums that don't work. What's ironic is that i have no right to complain since i don't own this website or pay anything to it...that is, until, ads are involved.

  10. #10
    Senior Member randya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    in bed with your mom
    My Bikes
    who cares?
    Posts
    13,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's worth it not to see the ads

  11. #11
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,336
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
    No....just too cheap to support something that gives you so much.
    nice try sparky, but i give as good as i get.

  12. #12
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,113
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    hey my dog is named sparky, use something else to insult KT
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  13. #13
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,113
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    secret santa should give botto a red star just to be spiteful
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  14. #14
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,336
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    secret santa should give botto a red star just to be spiteful
    please don't.

  15. #15
    Freelance Superhero Stir Crazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just so you all know, we're working on the problem right now. At this very moment. Even as I type this.
    -- Ryan - Internet Brands

  16. #16
    Senior Member StrangeWill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fallbrook, CA.
    Posts
    1,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
    No....just too cheap to support something that gives you so much.
    TBH: Running the little site I do, and how much EXTRA bandwidth I have with so little advertisements... I wonder how much a website like this rakes in.

    By giving those ad hits, you more than pay the webmaster for what they provide. Believe me, I am one, and appreciate every hit that downloads a BBCode or visits a page on my site. I got a noticeable difference in income just from people visiting my RAAM blog post, and that was a handful of users, and almost covered 1/10th of my hosting bill for the month (which I estimate can hold some 10,000 active users minimum). In a matter of a day or two of people wandering onto my site. (point is that ad revenue should be proportional to your servers top load, and if you're not overbuying, you're turning a fit profit, I'm WAY overbuying too, by a good 10,000% at least)


    Of course once I start selling software, I'm planning on removing all advertisements except for stuff advertising my own downloads and purchasable software. *shrugs*
    Last edited by StrangeWill; 09-13-07 at 03:43 PM.

  17. #17
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto View Post
    nice try sparky, but i give as good as i get.
    And helping others should inspire them to to pay up, sparkless.

    Typical reaction by cheapos who won't pay to support a site but complain about the lack of support from sitemasters. It's member contributions that helped to keep the site going. Somebody had to pay that hosting fee, and with the traffic this site gets, it was not hosted on one of those $5/month hosting services.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  18. #18
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,336
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
    And helping others should inspire them to to pay up, sparkless.

    Typical reaction by cheapos who won't pay to support a site but complain about the lack of support from sitemasters. It's member contributions that helped to keep the site going. Somebody had to pay that hosting fee, and with the traffic this site gets, it was not hosted on one of those $5/month hosting services.
    getting browbeaten by self righteous twats isn't exactly a good marketing plan.

    not just saying, i'm actually sayin' (or writing as the case may be).

    btw - wtf did you read any comments by me complaining about 'lack of support'?

    you haven't.

  19. #19
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,113
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    keep it civil gentlemen!!!!!! mean spirited name calling is not allowed.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  20. #20
    Videre non videri
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    My Bikes
    1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike
    Posts
    3,204
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The quotes are all screwed up. New text appears to the right of the quoted block, not below as it should be!

  21. #21
    Senior Member StrangeWill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fallbrook, CA.
    Posts
    1,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW: Bikeforums seems to be hosted by GoDaddy, which is one of those "$5 hosting companies" (sure it's on a bigger package, but it's not on some uber high-quality high-price company.)

    (At least I believe ZoneEdit is part of Godaddy's network)


    Edit:
    Further research suggests ZoneEdit is a free DNS managing solution. However I swear I've set up GoDaddy accounts that resolved to ZoneEdit, much how 1and1.com resolves to perfora.net.
    Last edited by StrangeWill; 09-13-07 at 03:53 PM.

  22. #22
    tsl
    tsl is offline
    Plays in traffic tsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Posts
    6,487
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strangewill:

    The way you find out where something is hosted is with a trace route. Looking up the domain registration is useless.

    Code:
    Report for www.bikeforums.net [75.126.17.36]
    
    Analysis: 'www.bikeforums.net' [web.bikeforums.net] was found in 16 hops (TTL=42). It is a HTTP server (running Apache/2.2.3 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.3 OpenSSL/0.9.7a DAV/2 PHP/5.2.4). 
    
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Hop | %Loss | IP Address      | Node Name                               | Location       
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    | 10  |       | 4.69.134.21     | ae-7.ebr2.Dallas1.Level3.net            | 32.48n, 96.52w 
    | 11  |       | 4.68.122.109    | ae-21-54.car1.Dallas1.Level3.net        | 32.48n, 96.52w 
    | 12  |       | 209.246.152.246 | INTERNAP-NE.car1.Dallas1.Level3.net     | 32.48n, 96.52w 
    | 13  |       | 216.52.191.83   | border3.tge4-1-bbnet2.ext1.dal.pnap.net | -              
    | 14  |       | 216.52.189.30   | softlayer-6.border3.ext1.dal.pnap.net   | -             
    | 15  |       | 66.228.118.158  | po52.fcr01.dal01.dallas-datacenter.com  |               
    | 16  |       | 75.126.17.36    | www.bikeforums.net                      |                 
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Roundtrip time to www.bikeforums.net, average = 62ms, min = 60ms, max = 69ms -- Sep 13, 2007 8:28:18 PM
    Further research shows it's probably hosted here.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin


    Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

  23. #23
    Trans-Urban Velocommando ax0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lenexa, KS
    My Bikes
    06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento
    Posts
    2,400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir Crazy View Post
    Just so you all know, we're working on the problem right now. At this very moment. Even as I type this.
    FYI, if you decide you want a UNIX/MySQL/vB rock star, send me a PM. I never, ever have this many problems with the boards I run.
    ax0n: Geeky and bikey
    My latest tip: Carrying your laptop
    My latest geeky project: Ethernet-testing cuff links

  24. #24
    Trans-Urban Velocommando ax0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lenexa, KS
    My Bikes
    06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento
    Posts
    2,400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangeWill View Post
    BTW: Bikeforums seems to be hosted by GoDaddy, which is one of those "$5 hosting companies" (sure it's on a bigger package, but it's not on some uber high-quality high-price company.)

    (At least I believe ZoneEdit is part of Godaddy's network)


    Edit:
    Further research suggests ZoneEdit is a free DNS managing solution. However I swear I've set up GoDaddy accounts that resolved to ZoneEdit, much how 1and1.com resolves to perfora.net.
    FYI, I use GoDaddy to REGISTER my domains, ZoneEdit for my DNS, and The Planet to host my servers, although I'm thinking of moving one to a KC local data center that will give me physical access to my box.

    Regardless, to the un-trained eye, it could easily appear that I'm using GoDaddy or ZoneEdit to "host" everything, but a site like this would probably crumble under its own weight (far worse than it already is) on a GoDaddy shared hosting plan.
    ax0n: Geeky and bikey
    My latest tip: Carrying your laptop
    My latest geeky project: Ethernet-testing cuff links

  25. #25
    Senior Member StrangeWill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fallbrook, CA.
    Posts
    1,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    Strangewill:

    The way you find out where something is hosted is with a trace route. Looking up the domain registration is useless.

    Code:
    Report for www.bikeforums.net [75.126.17.36]
    
    Analysis: 'www.bikeforums.net' [web.bikeforums.net] was found in 16 hops (TTL=42). It is a HTTP server (running Apache/2.2.3 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.3 OpenSSL/0.9.7a DAV/2 PHP/5.2.4). 
    
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Hop | %Loss | IP Address      | Node Name                               | Location       
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    | 10  |       | 4.69.134.21     | ae-7.ebr2.Dallas1.Level3.net            | 32.48n, 96.52w 
    | 11  |       | 4.68.122.109    | ae-21-54.car1.Dallas1.Level3.net        | 32.48n, 96.52w 
    | 12  |       | 209.246.152.246 | INTERNAP-NE.car1.Dallas1.Level3.net     | 32.48n, 96.52w 
    | 13  |       | 216.52.191.83   | border3.tge4-1-bbnet2.ext1.dal.pnap.net | -              
    | 14  |       | 216.52.189.30   | softlayer-6.border3.ext1.dal.pnap.net   | -             
    | 15  |       | 66.228.118.158  | po52.fcr01.dal01.dallas-datacenter.com  |               
    | 16  |       | 75.126.17.36    | www.bikeforums.net                      |                 
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Roundtrip time to www.bikeforums.net, average = 62ms, min = 60ms, max = 69ms -- Sep 13, 2007 8:28:18 PM
    Further research shows it's probably hosted here.
    Shucks I'm embarrassed, basic networking 111 stuff right there...

    Alas, sticking with the cheapest domain service, and a free DNS service, obviously cutting a few corners, I'm not thinking this hosting plan is exactly costing them anymore than they're making via advertisement. (it would be extremely dumb to say the least)


    http://www.softlayer.com/services.html
    But even then these are really nice prices (they almost already got me almost sold on where to go next if I run out of room where I'm at now), they charge more for bandwidth, but once you go unmetered it's totally worth it.



    Basically:
    This website makes money off of me being here, that is my payment, is allowing the advertising on my internet experience (I can choose to block them if I wanted to), don't say users don't do anything for the site unless it is free of advertisement being as we put cash in the owners pockets (which I have problem doing obviously, being as I'm glad to do it, they gave us a good site, I'll help them make money by viewing and occasionally clicking ads).

    Quote Originally Posted by ax0n View Post
    FYI, I use GoDaddy to REGISTER my domains, ZoneEdit for my DNS, and The Planet to host my servers, although I'm thinking of moving one to a KC local data center that will give me physical access to my box.

    Regardless, to the un-trained eye, it could easily appear that I'm using GoDaddy or ZoneEdit to "host" everything, but a site like this would probably crumble under its own weight (far worse than it already is) on a GoDaddy shared hosting plan.
    I was expecting more of a dedicated with the amount of traffic this site gets, theres no way a shared server could handle the processes, you'd get kicked off a shared server so quickly.

    As for me I try to keep everything centralized, while I like the idea of taking the best of each service, I don't like the idea of having a bunch of services jumping around, it may save me a few bucks a month, but in the end I'm wasting more time in organization...

    Thats probably just from a bad experience with network solutions, freaking stiffed the hell out of me, and tried to lock my domain from transfer till it expired so I couldn't transfer it...
    Last edited by StrangeWill; 09-13-07 at 08:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •