Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP) Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Why can't I buy a bike?

    I want to buy a new bike.

    I want to spend a thousand dollars at a bike shop on a new Trek.

    I want a Soho 4.0 and none of the dealers in a 25 mile radius are planning to stock them. They all are willing to special order one for me... Yeah, I just love buying a pig in a poke.

    One dealer said he'd be willing to order one in my size with no obligation as he brings the '08's in. This will happen in about 3 weeks.

    I have money and I want to spend it... NOW!!!

  2. #2
    ♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯ -=(8)=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
    My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Posts
    7,747
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you look at a Swobo Otis, Stacy ??
    Looks tuff !!

  3. #3
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the feeling sis....I had a similar problem when I bought my current main ride (Trek 520).

    Nobody carried the touring bikes as they weren't popular enough to stock apparently. I did not want to buy one without test riding it first, but nobody had one to try. I finally found a shop that had one that somebody had special ordered and changed their mind on...ended up being the right size (or close) and I got it for a $400 discount evne.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  4. #4
    Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP) Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -=Łem in Pa=- View Post
    Did you look at a Swobo Otis, Stacy ??
    Looks tuff !!
    Nice bike and good price, but I want 700 wheels & and an 8spd hub, The Otis is a 26'r w/ a three speed.

  5. #5
    Senior Member shumacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hammond, LA
    My Bikes
    95 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, 92 Specialized Sirrus Triple
    Posts
    308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
    I want to buy a new bike.

    I want to spend a thousand dollars at a bike shop on a new Trek.

    I want a Soho 4.0 and none of the dealers in a 25 mile radius are planning to stock them. They all are willing to special order one for me... Yeah, I just love buying a pig in a poke.

    One dealer said he'd be willing to order one in my size with no obligation as he brings the '08's in. This will happen in about 3 weeks.

    I have money and I want to spend it... NOW!!!
    I was in the same boat.
    I don't know what to tell you. I'd take the no obligation dealer up on his offer. I wouldn't commit to a bike without riding or seeing it, unless it was at a crazy, crazy, evenifyouhateityoucansellataprofit price.

  6. #6
    tired donnamb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
    Posts
    5,660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, what good is it for manufacturers to make interesting yet practical bikes when no one will sell them? How do they know they won't sell if no one gets to see them?
    "Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."

  7. #7
    long time visiter Alfster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SW Ontario
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way
    Posts
    585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
    I want to buy a new bike.

    I want to spend a thousand dollars at a bike shop on a new Trek.

    I want a Soho 4.0 and none of the dealers in a 25 mile radius are planning to stock them. They all are willing to special order one for me... Yeah, I just love buying a pig in a poke.


    One dealer said he'd be willing to order one in my size with no obligation as he brings the '08's in. This will happen in about 3 weeks.

    I have money and I want to spend it... NOW!!!
    I had to wait 5 weeks for my road bike. Good things come to those who wait ... assuming you don't live in part of the country where it snows. If that were the case, I can see why you would want a bike now. In the meantime, you've got that bike you bought from Salvation Army for $10. Should get you around for a while.

    BTW, the Soho 4.0 looks like a great bike. I'm partial to Treks and silver bikes. Good choice!

  8. #8
    Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP) Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfster View Post
    I had to wait 5 weeks for my road bike. Good things come to those who wait ... assuming you don't live in part of the country where it snows. If that were the case, I can see why you would want a bike now. In the meantime, you've got that bike you bought from Salvation Army for $10. Should get you around for a while.

    BTW, the Soho 4.0 looks like a great bike. I'm partial to Treks and silver bikes. Good choice!
    Well, I live in eastern Pennsylvania, yes we get snow. Why do I want it now. I have the money and the desire. I could be dead by spring... terminal illness. I buy bikes from Sally for $10 a couple of times a week and flip them. How do yo think I got the money. The last new bike I bought myself 20+ years ago got stolen. I want another new bike. 'K?

    Thanks. I'm thinking when the weather gets yuckie that internal geared hub will be a godsend.

  9. #9
    long time visiter Alfster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SW Ontario
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way
    Posts
    585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
    Well, I live in eastern Pennsylvania, yes we get snow. Why do I want it now. I have the money and the desire. I could be dead by spring... terminal illness. I buy bikes from Sally for $10 a couple of times a week and flip them. How do yo think I got the money. The last new bike I bought myself 20+ years ago got stolen. I want another new bike. 'K?

    Thanks. I'm thinking when the weather gets yuckie that internal geared hub will be a godsend.
    'K. Just make sure you invest in a good lock. Bike thieves are bast@#%$s.

    BTW, I'm not dissing the $10 bike. I thought it was an amazing find. I go around to garage sales looking for bikes to fix up. If I can't get them for less than $20 it's no deal. All the more power to ya!

  10. #10
    tired donnamb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
    Posts
    5,660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
    I'm thinking when the weather gets yuckie that internal geared hub will be a godsend.
    I'm thinking you're right.
    "Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."

  11. #11
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,334
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nothing piques your interest here?

  12. #12
    tired donnamb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
    Posts
    5,660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a single internal gear drivetrain on that site. Typical.
    "Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."

  13. #13
    Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP) Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfster View Post
    'K. Just make sure you invest in a good lock. Bike thieves are bast@#%$s.

    BTW, I'm not dissing the $10 bike. I thought it was an amazing find. I go around to garage sales looking for bikes to fix up. If I can't get them for less than $20 it's no deal. All the more power to ya!

    I'm in a small town, known too well as the crazy lady with a rat on her shoulder and a 9mm in her purse.


    I knew that. This new bike will be the result of a $16 investment ten for the bike, six for a pair of shift cables. I used the proceeds of that sale to buy more bikes and parts. Amazing how easy it is to find and flip.

  14. #14
    Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP) Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto View Post
    nothing piques your interest here?
    Nope! It was the first place I looked.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •