Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-04-07, 02:48 PM   #1
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout
Thread Starter
 
crtreedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Costa Rica
Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem
Posts: 3,075
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
It's good to be king...

It is a hard life being King, but someone has to do it...

After about 30 years of working like a dog I have reached a point of not having to work. At first I was in denial. How could things go on without me always pushing? What example am I setting if I take a break from working 12 hours a day?

Well, about a month ago I ditched the software consulting to focus on our business and then discovered that the business runs just fine if I don't micromanage it. We have great people who know exactly what to do almost all of the time.

So, I spend an hour or two in the mornings reviewing the days plans and then after that I read books translated into Spanish to improve my ability in the language. I am also studying grammar too.

But I am finding that I can actually manage not to feel like I have to be product all the time. This is freeing my mind to think of new ways of doing business. This of course is my excuse for goofing off.

What is really helping is my family telling me that I have done enough and I deserve to be a slug. Though Jsharr is trying to figure out how to make my horses poop in my hammock - life is good.

Jsharr - you do know that from where I am sitting you are a Yankee?
crtreedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 02:49 PM   #2
snowy
Beauty Everywhere
 
snowy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Bikes: 2006 Giant Anthem, Specialized Dolce Elite 05
Posts: 2,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congrats for realizing that your company will be just fine. Now its time for you to enjoy just you!!!!
__________________
"RIDE FAST TAKE CHANCES!"

Interested in the Women's Forum? Send me a PM for more information.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 02:57 PM   #3
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout
Thread Starter
 
crtreedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Costa Rica
Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem
Posts: 3,075
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Yep, I am enjoying being white haired founder of company mentoring the young whippersnappers. It helps that I am only 48 with prematurely white hair!

Our son and his wife just moved down a week or so ago to be groomed for the office.
crtreedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 03:03 PM   #4
BLIMP
automobile gravitron
 
BLIMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: event horizon
Bikes: Kona Blast, Scwinn Traveler, Older Stumpjumper, Lemond Maillot Juane, Surly Crosscheck
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dang, sounds like you are living a kingly lifestyle.

... can I be some sort of prince, or baron? My tithe is negotiable.
BLIMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 03:14 PM   #5
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
them is fightin words. the fightin will commence right after the drinkin ends.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 05:33 PM   #6
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout
Thread Starter
 
crtreedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Costa Rica
Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem
Posts: 3,075
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
them is fightin words. the fightin will commence right after the drinkin ends.
No problem, we will even drink with Yankees...
crtreedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 05:34 PM   #7
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout
Thread Starter
 
crtreedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Costa Rica
Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem
Posts: 3,075
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLIMP View Post
Dang, sounds like you are living a kingly lifestyle.

... can I be some sort of prince, or baron? My tithe is negotiable.
Hmmm, I don't have any wars that I need the nobility to sacrafice themselves for...
crtreedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 05:36 PM   #8
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heck, I'd be satisfied with a Duchy, myself!

The Duke of Cool!
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 05:39 PM   #9
BLIMP
automobile gravitron
 
BLIMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: event horizon
Bikes: Kona Blast, Scwinn Traveler, Older Stumpjumper, Lemond Maillot Juane, Surly Crosscheck
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wasn't thinking so much about the sacrificing bit. More the living in Costa Rica and governing a small portion of your wealth so that your phenomenal success doesn't cause you to go mad. Really, I have your best interest in mind here.

I'd even settle for "Administrator of Surfing"


Can you preside over cool?
BLIMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 05:43 PM   #10
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka
 
StupidlyBrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Central PA
Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed
Posts: 1,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
them is fightin words. the fightin will commence right after the drinkin ends.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=H6ZH6i9Ev7M

A Buck-o-Nine fan?
StupidlyBrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 02:23 PM   #11
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout
Thread Starter
 
crtreedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Costa Rica
Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem
Posts: 3,075
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLIMP View Post
I wasn't thinking so much about the sacrificing bit. More the living in Costa Rica and governing a small portion of your wealth so that your phenomenal success doesn't cause you to go mad. Really, I have your best interest in mind here.

I'd even settle for "Administrator of Surfing"


Can you preside over cool?
Not going to happen - you can't cause me not to go mad. Too late for that I would say.

No surfing where we live but there are hot springs which are pretty cool in a hot way of course. Ah, lying back soaking in a hot spring while a slightly cool tropical rain falls and a wetbar is nearby. Our son was on a research trip and experienced this.
crtreedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 02:53 PM   #12
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
never heard of Buck O Nine untilt this trhead.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 02:56 PM   #13
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá
 
jfmckenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The edge of b#
Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.
Posts: 5,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Good job treedude.... so ah you guys hiring?
jfmckenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 07:19 PM   #14
FlyingAnchor
Senior Member
 
FlyingAnchor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Humboldt County Ca
Bikes: All Recumbent, Strada and TT Tour
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you want some redwood tree cones? They grow up to be big also.

Good job Mr. Dude.
FlyingAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 07:56 PM   #15
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Bikes: Trek ALR 6, Trek CrossRip, Trek X-Caliber 8
Posts: 4,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
Not going to happen - you can't cause me not to go mad. Too late for that I would say.

No surfing where we live but there are hot springs which are pretty cool in a hot way of course. Ah, lying back soaking in a hot spring while a slightly cool tropical rain falls and a wetbar is nearby. Our son was on a research trip and experienced this.
Some of the best surf I have every ridden was off Costa Rica, specifically, Playa Hermosa. Grab the board and ride down the mountain my friend and hang ten.
__________________
Brian | 2015 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.
jaxgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 10:27 PM   #16
Mr. Gear Jammer
Senior Member
 
Mr. Gear Jammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
It is a hard life being King, but someone has to do it...

After about 30 years of working like a dog I have reached a point of not having to work. At first I was in denial. How could things go on without me always pushing? What example am I setting if I take a break from working 12 hours a day?

Well, about a month ago I ditched the software consulting to focus on our business and then discovered that the business runs just fine if I don't micromanage it. We have great people who know exactly what to do almost all of the time.

So, I spend an hour or two in the mornings reviewing the days plans and then after that I read books translated into Spanish to improve my ability in the language. I am also studying grammar too.

But I am finding that I can actually manage not to feel like I have to be product all the time. This is freeing my mind to think of new ways of doing business. This of course is my excuse for goofing off.

What is really helping is my family telling me that I have done enough and I deserve to be a slug. Though Jsharr is trying to figure out how to make my horses poop in my hammock - life is good.

Jsharr - you do know that from where I am sitting you are a Yankee?
30 years, 12 hours a day job well done man. You deserve some relaxation and a less stressfull and less demanding position.
Mr. Gear Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 10:58 PM   #17
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!
 
jyossarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the 212
Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
Posts: 8,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will assist jsharr in training the horses to not only poop in your hammocks, but to also translate your books from spanish to sanskrit AND tell you how they end.
__________________
HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
jyossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:49 AM.