Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

View Poll Results: Why do dogs lick us?
As a show of affection. 12 29.27%
Because we taste good. 29 70.73%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-07-07, 12:14 PM   #1
Portis
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Home alone
Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
Posts: 6,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dogs lick us because...

Why does your dog lick you?
Portis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 12:14 PM   #2
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
probably going after the blood and detritus from my victims.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 12:14 PM   #3
USAZorro
Seņor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Florence, KY
Bikes: 1954 Hetchins M.O., 1959 Viking Severn Valley, 1970 Raleigh Pro, 1972 Fuji "The Finest", 1974 Raleigh Superbe&Comp, 1976 Raleigh Team Pro, 1996 Giant Iguana, 2000 Bob Jackson Arrowhead
Posts: 14,553
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
I recently had some contact with food.
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 12:15 PM   #4
ms.gio
Chief Slacking Officer
 
ms.gio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The City by the Lake
Bikes: Fuji Track SE, Cannondale R300
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think my dog's lick me to show affection or because they accept me.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by x136 View Post
Giolander: There can be only one.
Giodome: Several impostors enter, only the real one leaves?
ms.gio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 12:17 PM   #5
Portis
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Home alone
Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
Posts: 6,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All I know is my dog likes to show me a LOT more affection after I get back from a ride on a Summer day.
Portis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 12:20 PM   #6
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dogs lick us because we taste amazingly similar to doggy genitalia.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 12:21 PM   #7
Keith99
Senior Member
 
Keith99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
Dogs lick us because we taste amazingly similar to doggy genitalia.
I was going to be more subtle and just say because they can.
Keith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 12:22 PM   #8
Tude 
Blasted Weeds
 
Tude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
Posts: 1,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
Dogs lick us because we taste amazingly similar to doggy genitalia.
OK then, you may taste like that, but I do not!

Tude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 12:23 PM   #9
aprilm
Bring May Flowers
 
aprilm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Soon to be South Carolina!
Bikes: '10 Kuota Kebel
Posts: 961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think it's both.
aprilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 12:24 PM   #10
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
Dogs lick us because we taste amazingly similar to doggy genitalia.
speak for yourself. and I do not want to know why you taste like that or how you know. Also, the phrase "you are what you eat" keeps coming to mind. Based on that, I taste like crow and my own bile.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 12:25 PM   #11
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tude View Post
OK then, you may taste like that, but I do not!

Sorry...I'll need proof. Bring those sexy toes over here.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 12:27 PM   #12
VegaVixen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
Posts: 1,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I voted because we taste good. Disclaimer: I don't have a dog.
VegaVixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 12:28 PM   #13
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegaVixen View Post
I voted because we taste good. Disclaimer: I don't have a dog.
i do, come on over.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 12:30 PM   #14
Taerom
Hazardous
 
Taerom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Quarantine
Bikes: 2005 Trek Liquid 55, 2009 Haro Mary SS
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I lick my dog because he tastes good.
Taerom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 12:34 PM   #15
lodi781
was kung-fu fighting
 
lodi781's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Connecticut
Bikes: '00 schwinn moab disk/06 specialized stumpy fsr expert, 06 look565
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
to get the taste of balls off his tongue
lodi781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 12:36 PM   #16
glenng
Master Surfer of Curbs
 
glenng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 70%PIT 30% Blue Yonder
Bikes: Whats it to ya?
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodi781 View Post
to get the taste of turd off his tongue
fixed it
glenng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 12:37 PM   #17
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I voted 'because we taste good' mostly because my dog licks my hands after I've been prepping stuff in the kitchen or otherwise handling food and she also licks my legs after I get back from riding (so salt/sweat must taste pretty good.) She also lays on the bed and licks my pillow when I'm not there, so I guess I'm kinda tasty. At least to dogs.
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 12:40 PM   #18
banerjek
Portland Fred
 
banerjek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid
Posts: 11,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tude View Post
OK then, you may taste like that, but I do not!

So you're saying you taste like a dog's butt instead?
banerjek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 01:01 PM   #19
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down
 
bikingshearer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Democratic Peoples' Republic of Berkeley
Bikes: 1967 Paramount, 1982-ish Ron Cooper,1986 De Rosa Professional, 1978 Eisentraut "A," 1961 BianchiCompetizione, 1994 Trek 520, 199? Burley Bossa Nova, early-1970s Cinelli Speciale Corsa
Posts: 3,350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Geez, this thread is only 50 minutes old, and already some variation on every single dirty, evil, or twisted idea that comes to mind has already been posted.


I knew I liked Foo for some reason.
__________________
"I'm in shape -- round is a shape." Andy Rooney
bikingshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 01:06 PM   #20
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikingshearer View Post
Geez, this thread is only 50 minutes old, and already some variation on every single dirty, evil, or twisted idea that comes to mind has already been posted.


I knew I liked Foo for some reason.
If this thread encompasses every dirty idea you have about dogs licking, you are a puritan my boy! I mean no one has even mentioned home alone and peanut butter yet!
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 01:12 PM   #21
San Rensho 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Dogs lick your face because they want you to throw up so they can eat your puke, and to show their submission to you, the top dog. Its just simple instinct, so don't think they are showing affection.

Wolves in the wild live in a pack with an alpha male and female, who go out and hunt, make a kill and then gorge themselves. They go back to the pack and the trigger that the rest of the pack uses to get the alpha male and female to throw up is licking of the face.

So next time Mr. Wiggle Butt licks your face, puke all over him, he'll love you even more.
__________________
Il faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
San Rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 01:15 PM   #22
EJ123
'05 NUEser
 
EJ123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"Because we taste good. 13 72.22% "

Either 72% of the voters are mentally challeneged or the 3/4 majority knowingly chose the more silly answer, since it's funny.
EJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 01:21 PM   #23
Chad's Colnago
Space for rent!
 
Chad's Colnago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Lincoln NE
Bikes: Colnago Dream B-Stay, Trek Mountain Bike
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chad's Colnago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 01:23 PM   #24
SaiKaiTai
Senior Member
 
SaiKaiTai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 2,990
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Rensho View Post
Dogs lick your face because they want you to throw up so they can eat your puke, and to show their submission to you, the top dog. Its just simple instinct, so don't think they are showing affection.

Wolves in the wild live in a pack with an alpha male and female, who go out and hunt, make a kill and then gorge themselves. They go back to the pack and the trigger that the rest of the pack uses to get the alpha male and female to throw up is licking of the face.
BINGO!
SaiKaiTai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 01:24 PM   #25
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tude View Post
OK then, you may taste like that, but I do not!

The hell you say. Everything tastes like dog balz to a dog!
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:21 PM.