Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Videre non videri
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    My Bikes
    1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike
    Posts
    3,202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Upgrade to OS X 10.5? Or 10.4?

    Ok, what will I lose and what will I gain by upgrading from my current 10.3.9 system to 10.5, or even just to 10.4.x?

    I'm terrified of losing data or compatibility. Will the fancier graphics in 10.4 and higher slow down the GUI (it's already pretty terrible in 10.3).

    My system is a PM G5 Dual 1.8 GHz, 1 GB RAM and an ATi Radeon 9600 64 MB gfx board.

    Edit:
    Even though I was an Apple tech support agent five years ago, I've very little interest in computers other than as a tool. It took me almost half a year to find that 10.4 was released when it was. I'm not a power user. I haven't even changed the background picture from that blue arc thing.

  2. #2
    Squirrelly Member trsidn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
    Posts
    220
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dis is why I is comfortable with windoze...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Yet more proof that I'm.. well, pretty much right about everything.

  3. #3
    phony collective progress x136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Hoosey
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/user/36663
    Posts
    2,958
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trsidn View Post
    Dis is why I is comfortable with windoze...
    Because you know without a doubt that everything is going to be broken if you dare to try to upgrade things?

    CdCf, if you're not unhappy with the way it is now, it's safe to keep it where it is. 10.3.9 is, I assume, still perfectly usable. It's the last version I've used, so I couldn't tell you exactly what an upgrade would get you.

    With such a powerful system, though, I can't imagine "slow" would be a term you'd find yourself using if you upgraded.

    [edit: Though it's odd that you say it's slow already in 10.3.9. OS X has never seemed superfast to me, but a system like that shouldn't be slow.]

  4. #4
    Giving you the business. Cypress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah, Giant Trinity Advanced, Specialized Crux
    Posts
    4,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get 10.5. It'll speed your machine up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator
    Dear Cypress,

    You have received an infraction at Bike Forums.

  5. #5
    Videre non videri
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    My Bikes
    1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike
    Posts
    3,202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by x136 View Post
    With such a powerful system, though, I can't imagine "slow" would be a term you'd find yourself using if you upgraded.

    [edit: Though it's odd that you say it's slow already in 10.3.9. OS X has never seemed superfast to me, but a system like that shouldn't be slow.]
    In my mind, I'm still comparing every new GUI to the most perfect GUI I've used so far - that of the Amiga in the early 90s. Lightning fast. OS 9 was fast as well, but highly unstable.

    I don't know what it is, but Finder always feels slow to me. Like I'm working with something submerged in syrup. I find myself waiting for the GUI quite often.

  6. #6
    Squirrelly Member trsidn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
    Posts
    220
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by x136 View Post
    Because you know without a doubt that everything is going to be broken if you dare to try to upgrade things?
    No, cuz if it does get screwed up, I am confident I can get it going.
    I gave my daughter a Mac, and I can't figure out how to work it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Yet more proof that I'm.. well, pretty much right about everything.

  7. #7
    Giving you the business. Cypress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah, Giant Trinity Advanced, Specialized Crux
    Posts
    4,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trsidn View Post
    I gave my daughter a Mac, and I can't figure out how to work it.
    That's ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator
    Dear Cypress,

    You have received an infraction at Bike Forums.

  8. #8
    Squirrelly Member trsidn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
    Posts
    220
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    That's ridiculous.
    took me a long time to find the internets
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Yet more proof that I'm.. well, pretty much right about everything.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    upper devonian
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CdCf View Post
    In my mind, I'm still comparing every new GUI to the most perfect GUI I've used so far - that of the Amiga in the early 90s. Lightning fast. OS 9 was fast as well, but highly unstable.

    I don't know what it is, but Finder always feels slow to me. Like I'm working with something submerged in syrup. I find myself waiting for the GUI quite often.
    10.4 won't improve the Finder feel any over 10.3.9. Haven't tried 10.5 yet so not sure on that one.
    I agree on the apparent slowness, never been happy with the trade off between the pretty graphics, and apparent speed. OSX has just always lacked that twitch speed you expect when working in the OS.

  10. #10
    cyclepath daredevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    "The Last Best Place"
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
    Posts
    3,552
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm about to get Leopard and look forward to it. I really like the auto back up feature.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without music, life would be a mistake."
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

  11. #11
    Feral Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Roma, Italia
    My Bikes
    yes, I have one.
    Posts
    2,645
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trsidn View Post
    No, cuz if it does get screwed up, I am confident I can get it going.
    I gave my daughter a Mac, and I can't figure out how to work it.
    I'm a database programmer with over a decade experience in Windows environment. I have a Mac at home and am relatively lost on the guts of how to manage the system. I have much more faith in the Mac and furthermore have never even needed to fix it.

    You're only more comfortable with Windows because you know how to fiddle with it. That doesn't make it better.
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
    Did you just say "minarchist?" I'm going to start a 10-page vaginathon because only Libertarians can define Libertarianism. Also, you're mean.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    998
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, my favorite UI would be a toss up between 4Dwm (IRIX), CDE (AIX), NeXTStep.

    Windows is decent, Vista (factoring out hardware requirements) is an improvement with UI stuff (after I turned animations off because the 1/2 second it takes for the window animations add up.) MacOS is decent as well, although I really have no preference between MacOS's UI or Windows.

    Linux -- well, I can't say much because I have not used the new UIs much (I mainly ssh into my Linux boxes), and can't comment with much authority.

    Right now, until I get out of college, I have to be content with Vista as the main UI, and ssh command prompts.

  13. #13
    blithering idiot jhota's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    beautiful coastal South Carolina
    My Bikes
    1991 Trek 930, 2005 Bianchi Eros, 2006 Nashbar "X," IRO Rob Roy
    Posts
    1,263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you use Airport much, wait for 10.5.1...

    otherwise, 10.5 gets a big thumbs up from me...

    whatever you do, get more ram! 1 GB is barely enough, anymore...

  14. #14
    Senoir Membre Rosso Corsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Centurion Le Mans, Bianchi Sport, Trek 3500
    Posts
    424
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would get leopard.
    I could be mistaken, but mac doesn't have as many driver issues as windows because they only sell their computers with a handful of combinations, so there are less drivers and combinations to account for (relatively speaking). So there shouldn't be any compatibility issues, and if there are they would likely be reported on the web by now.
    Also, Time Machine alone would convince me to go .5 over .4 if I was as concerned with data preservation as you.

    I don't know if there are any PPC leopard issues, but that may be worth checking out.

    good luck
    As long as I breathe, I attack.
    Read my Blog!

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Smithfield, UT
    My Bikes
    Felt F60, Apollo Concorde, Catrike Trail, Panasonic Tourist, John Deere 10 speed, weird frankenbike, wish I had a velomobile
    Posts
    110
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 10.3 at home and 10.5 at work. I don't think I'll upgrade the home computer. It works great as it is, and I don't think there's anything in the newer versions worth risking breaking the old software we have on the home computer.

    Or maybe it's because I hardly use the home computer anymore. My wife uses it, and i use my work laptop. So what do I care if the home computer doesn't have the latest features? I just want it to work flawlessly so I don't get tech support phone calls from home during the day.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •