Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-23-07, 04:44 PM   #1
permanentjaun
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
permanentjaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stock Investing Forums - Got any good ones?

I'm looking to get back into trading after my hiatus. I know of investorshub.com and allstocks.com. Allstocks isn't good because it's primarily a penny stock forum. Investorshub isn't good because the forum layout is terrible IMO.

I'm looking for mid to large cap stock boards. I don't feel like trading any stocks that average less than $50 million in volume a day. Penny stocks no more.

Any suggestions on good boards that have intelligent discussion?
permanentjaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-07, 05:28 PM   #2
Alfster 
long time visiter
 
Alfster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: in the Northern Tundra
Bikes: 2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you live in Canada then Stockhouse.ca isn't too bad. Still a bunch of immature posters however. Stay far away from Yahoo Finance boards. They are just excuses for people to vent and belittle others.
Alfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-07, 05:41 PM   #3
permanentjaun
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
permanentjaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nope don't live in Canada. I'm in the states. Really looking for more of a general discussion board. I don't want to run into people pumping/dumping. I just want a discussion on trading strategies, opinions on markets, discussion on how the fed affects the market, etc..
permanentjaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-07, 05:44 PM   #4
Alfster 
long time visiter
 
Alfster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: in the Northern Tundra
Bikes: 2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you find one let me know. I also like discussing stocks, however not with the average poster on these boards.
Alfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-07, 06:07 PM   #5
Joe Gardner
BikeForums Founder
 
Joe Gardner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Utah.
Bikes:
Posts: 4,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.diehards.org/forum/index.php

Ok, its not really a stock investing forum, its more of a 'Jack Boggle' fan club forum. After lurking at Diehards.org, I have 100% changed how I think about investing in stocks and the market. It may be worth spending a day or two lurking and seeing what its all about...

If you have a bit of fun money for individual stocks, fool.com has a few fun forums. They are now open to anyone, subscriber or not. I avoid the front page articles and any of there paid newsletters. IMHO, the best thing about fool is caps: http://caps.fool.com/
Joe Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-07, 06:13 PM   #6
linux_author
370H-SSV-0773H
 
linux_author's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Penniless Park, Fla.
Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
Posts: 2,750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Vanguard
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-07, 06:31 PM   #7
permanentjaun
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
permanentjaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Gardner View Post
http://www.diehards.org/forum/index.php

Ok, its not really a stock investing forum, its more of a 'Jack Boggle' fan club forum. After lurking at Diehards.org, I have 100% changed how I think about investing in stocks and the market. It may be worth spending a day or two lurking and seeing what its all about...

If you have a bit of fun money for individual stocks, fool.com has a few fun forums. They are now open to anyone, subscriber or not. I avoid the front page articles and any of there paid newsletters. IMHO, the best thing about fool is caps: http://caps.fool.com/
Looking at the first site now. Haven't found a beginners guide to jack boggle and why he's popular. Got any good links?
permanentjaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-07, 05:11 PM   #8
Joe Gardner
BikeForums Founder
 
Joe Gardner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Utah.
Bikes:
Posts: 4,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by permanentjaun View Post
Looking at the first site now. Haven't found a beginners guide to jack boggle and why he's popular. Got any good links?
I just stumbled upon a blog post at thesimpledollar.com and remembered this thread... sorry for the slow reply.

Rather then try to explain who Jack Bogle is, or his investing philosophies, I'll just point you to this blog post: http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2007/...-mutual-funds/

I'm a huge fan of Jack Bogle's investment advice, and have read all of his books, all are highly recommended.
Joe Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-07, 11:29 PM   #9
DannoXYZ 
Senior Member
 
DannoXYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saratoga, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 11,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by permanentjaun View Post
I'm looking to get back into trading after my hiatus. I know of investorshub.com and allstocks.com. Allstocks isn't good because it's primarily a penny stock forum. Investorshub isn't good because the forum layout is terrible IMO.

I'm looking for mid to large cap stock boards. I don't feel like trading any stocks that average less than $50 million in volume a day. Penny stocks no more.

Any suggestions on good boards that have intelligent discussion?
The thing to keep in mind is that there's an infinite number of strategies with vastly varying results. People get the cause & effect mixed up and try to get outrageous results with inappropriate tactics. So I always recommend people define a goal first and only then set out to learn the most likely strategies that'll give you the results you want.

For example, my goal of "living well from my investments and not needing a job", requires certain out-of-norm returns which requires some non-mainstream strategies. For discussions on getting away from the herd out there, check out this site: http://www.elitetrader.com

This is a good site for options: http://www.thinkorswim.com
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:14 PM.