Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44
  1. #1
    Senior Member permanentjaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,714
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Computer won't start. Why?

    So I took off my towers panel so I could take out one of the RAM cards to see the type I'm running and the buy some more. I did that, put the ram back in, and now my computer won't start. I press the power button and it immediately shuts off the second I release the power button. Then it starts up again 3-5 seconds later on it's own. There is a beeping coming from inside the computer though as a warning I assume.

    When it starts up the second time it sounds normal, besides the beeping, but nothing happens. The monitor doesn't display anything and is apparently receiving no signal as it is in standby mode.

    What did I do wrong? What do I do to fix it?

    P.S. - I'm on another computer obviously.

  2. #2
    bac
    bac is offline
    Senior Member bac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    My Bikes
    Too many to list!
    Posts
    7,487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by permanentjaun View Post
    So I took off my towers panel so I could take out one of the RAM cards to see the type I'm running and the buy some more. I did that, put the ram back in, and now my computer won't start. I press the power button and it immediately shuts off the second I release the power button. Then it starts up again 3-5 seconds later on it's own. There is a beeping coming from inside the computer though as a warning I assume.

    When it starts up the second time it sounds normal, besides the beeping, but nothing happens. The monitor doesn't display anything and is apparently receiving no signal as it is in standby mode.

    What did I do wrong? What do I do to fix it?

    P.S. - I'm on another computer obviously.
    I'd start by popping it open, and reseating the RAM. I'm guessing the SIMM just didn't get in well enough.

    ... Brad

  3. #3
    Senior Member permanentjaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,714
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You were right. I was an idiot. I stupidly was not locking it in correctly. While I seated the stick at the bottom, it apparently wasn't the bottom. I forgot I needed to lock in the tabs into the indents on the stick. I'm back on my computer now.

    Now, next question. This is the type of ram in my computer. DDR2 256 mb. I have 2 sticks for 512 total. I can easily pick up 1-2 gb's of ram for cheap at tigerdirect or newegg. My computer has 4 slots total for RAM. If I want to keep this ram and use it in conjunction with new ram, what speed do I get? I can't tell from the sticker on what I have now. Or would I be better off just getting some new DDR2 Ram with a decent processing speed and not use the 512 I have now?


  4. #4
    Chepooka StupidlyBrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Central PA
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got PC2-3200 (400mhz)

    The "faster" ones will operate at this speed too, and you might pull them for your next pc. So consider PC2-4200 (533mhz) or PC2-5300 (667mhz) as well. They may not end up costing more.

    Use the configurator on the left frame of this page to ensure you have selected the right stuff.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton
    Posts
    1,727
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you check the metering rod in the carburetor?
    Bring back the Sig Test!


    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  6. #6
    Chepooka StupidlyBrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Central PA
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    Did you check the metering rod in the carburetor?



    Good one. I realize this is foo, but someone who can post a picture close up and in focus will very likely get a straight answer out of me.

  7. #7
    Senior Member permanentjaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,714
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StupidlyBrave View Post
    You've got PC2-3200 (400mhz)

    The "faster" ones will operate at this speed too, and you might pull them for your next pc. So consider PC2-4200 (533mhz) or PC2-5300 (667mhz) as well. They may not end up costing more.

    Use the configurator on the left frame of this page to ensure you have selected the right stuff.
    Thanks for the help. Don't I need to match the mhz of the ram so they operate at the same speeds? I don't even know what the 3200/4200/5300 parts mean, but I thought what mattered was making sure all my RAM was 400 mhz, or 533 mhz, or 667 mhz? Not true?

  8. #8
    Chepooka StupidlyBrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Central PA
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure that if you were to add 2x512 PC-4200 that you'd be fine. Just add them in pairs, and note that they'll operate at bus speed, which is likely to be 400mhz.

    I just swapped out 2x512 PC-4200's for 2x1GB PC-5300's. They were the same price, so what do I care if they operate at 533mhz (my lappy's bus speed) instead of 667?

    Use the configurator to be certain...

  9. #9
    Senior Member permanentjaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,714
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we're talking about two different situations. You're completely swapping out old ram for new ram and not using the old ram. I was asking in terms of being able to buy two new sticks of ram and use them in conjunction with the old ram since I have 4 slots in my pc for ram.

    Thanks for the link. Here's what it says:

    This system is configurable and may ship with either DDR2-400 (KTD-DM8400/xx) or DDR2-533 (KTD-DM8400A/xx). These are compatible and can be mixed, however when mixed they will default to DDR2-400.

    So this means I can buy 533 mhz ddr2 memory and use it with my current ram as well with no problems except the 533 will only operate at 400, correct? I assume operating 2048 mbs at 533 mhz is slower than 2560 at 400. How can I calculate that?

  10. #10
    Chepooka StupidlyBrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Central PA
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by permanentjaun View Post
    I think we're talking about two different situations. You're completely swapping out old ram for new ram and not using the old ram.
    True, but that is only because I have 2 slots total. Otherwise, I would have simply added 2x512 to get to 2GB.

    Quote Originally Posted by permanentjaun View Post
    This system is configurable and may ship with either DDR2-400 (KTD-DM8400/xx) or DDR2-533 (KTD-DM8400A/xx). These are compatible and can be mixed, however when mixed they will default to DDR2-400.

    So this means I can buy 533 mhz ddr2 memory and use it with my current ram as well with no problems except the 533 will only operate at 400, correct? I assume operating 2048 mbs at 533 mhz is slower than 2560 at 400. How can I calculate that?
    Yep, that's what it means. I interpret that as saying that your CPU bus runs at 533mhz and the existing DRAM is slowing you down. How much is the question and this depends on workload. It's possible that the difference is not enough to notice. You could run benchmarks to measure, but my gut is saying that if you didn't have enough RAM (and were paging to disk), the difference in increased capacity will be quite noticeable. On the other hand, if your current workload can fit in available RAM, adding more will have very little impact.

  11. #11
    Senior Member permanentjaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,714
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the help. How often does memory not work? I'm looking to buy some cheap RAM from this one site and they offer a service to make sure the memory works before shipping to guarantee non-DOA. Sure I'm buying cheap memory and its not name brand, but is it that unreliable? It's only $5, but if I don't have to spend $5 more then I have to I won't.

    Here's the link: http://www.komusa.com/kofco1533pcc.html

    What do you think?

  12. #12
    Chepooka StupidlyBrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Central PA
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never heard of a DOA pre-ship test. That doesn't sound promising...

    Here is a quote from someone highly respected in my gaming clan:
    There are 4 brands I buy. Mushkin, Crucial, Corsair and Kingston. All are very stable and have lifetime warranties. Speaking about Kingston alone, their normal/value stuff doesn't usually have a lot of headroom if you want to overclock, but at stock or slightly overclocked speeds the stuff is rock solid and usually is a bargain.
    BTW, Newegg.com is a reliable source

  13. #13
    Senior Member permanentjaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,714
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again for the help. Can't wait. Going from 512 to over 2500 will be a big difference. Should be nice and smooth.

  14. #14
    '05 NUEser EJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure your comp can run more than 1gb ram. My computer came with 512 and I recently added another 512 DDR stick. Unfortunatly, I can't take more than the 1gb. Oh well.

  15. #15
    Senior Member permanentjaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,714
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I can run up to 4 GB. Dell 4700.

  16. #16
    Senior Member permanentjaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,714
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so now I have the new memory, but it won't work. I don't get it. Someone want to give me a guess why? I made sure I seated the memory right as well.

    I've tried just using the new memory without the old and in the alternating slots for matched RAM. Nothing. I've tried just using one of the sticks and no other ram. Nothing.

    What could be wrong? Does ram arrive DOA often? Why would it be DOA?

    Do I have the right ram? Here's a pic:





    I have a dell 4700. Specs here: http://support.dell.com/support/topi...iceTag=gglv081


    What do I do now?

  17. #17
    Senior Member gabdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    Trek, Giant, PoS
    Posts
    1,486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by permanentjaun View Post
    Ok so now I have the new memory, but it won't work. I don't get it. Someone want to give me a guess why? I made sure I seated the memory right as well.

    I've tried just using the new memory without the old and in the alternating slots for matched RAM. Nothing. I've tried just using one of the sticks and no other ram. Nothing.

    What could be wrong? Does ram arrive DOA often? Why would it be DOA?

    Do I have the right ram? Here's a pic:





    I have a dell 4700. Specs here: http://support.dell.com/support/topi...iceTag=gglv081


    What do I do now?
    Check this link for the specs of the 4700 with compatible memory.

    http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1052320

    here is a quick extract, I'm not sure if only the 2 types of RAM in bold are compatible, or if any in between is. Ring Dell and find out.


    Technical Specifications
    Dell Dimension 4700 Series Service Manual



    Processor

    Processor type
    Intel� Pentium� 4 processor 520, 530, 540, 550, 560, or 570 with HT Technology

    Intel Pentium 4 that runs at 2.8, 3.0, 3.2, 3.4, 3.6, and 3.8 GHz internally and 800 MHz externally

    Level 1 (L1) cache
    16 KB

    Level 2 (L2) cache
    1-MB (displayed in system setup) pipelined-burst, eight-way set associative, write-back SRAM



    Memory

    Type
    400-MHz (PC2-3200) and 533-MHz (PC2-4300) DDR2 unbuffered SDRAM non-ECC

    Memory connectors
    four

    Memory capacities
    128-, 256-, 512-, or 1-GB non-ECC

    Minimum memory
    128 MB

    NOTE: Up to 128 MB of system memory may be allocated to support graphics, depending on system memory size and other factors.

  18. #18
    Senior Member permanentjaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,714
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I can tell the only thing I didn't match up was the PC2-4300. I bought PC2-4200. What does that number signify? Why did Dell use 4300 when 4200 seems to be the standard? Pricewatch.com and tigerdirect.com don't sell any ddr2 4300 memory. Newegg.com only sells 1 dual channel ddr2 4300 stick.

    Is that what needs to match?

  19. #19
    Senior Member gabdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    Trek, Giant, PoS
    Posts
    1,486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by permanentjaun View Post
    From what I can tell the only thing I didn't match up was the PC2-4300. I bought PC2-4200. What does that number signify? Why did Dell use 4300 when 4200 seems to be the standard? Pricewatch.com and tigerdirect.com don't sell any ddr2 4300 memory. Newegg.com only sells 1 dual channel ddr2 4300 stick.

    Is that what needs to match?
    I'm not sure what the difference is between PC4200 and PC4300, they both run the same bus speeds of 533. It's been a long time since I was up to speed on desktop technology, so I can't be sure. Some RAM run different voltages, maybe thats the difference. Let me check my good friend Google and get back to you with some info if I can.

  20. #20
    Senior Member gabdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    Trek, Giant, PoS
    Posts
    1,486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gabdy View Post
    I'm not sure what the difference is between PC4200 and PC4300, they both run the same bus speeds of 533. It's been a long time since I was up to speed on desktop technology, so I can't be sure. Some RAM run different voltages, maybe thats the difference. Let me check my good friend Google and get back to you with some info if I can.
    Reading a few nerd forums, it looks like 4200 and 4300 are the same. Memory is classified by multiplying the clock by 8. So, 533MHz (clock) * 8 = 4264. It all depends on how manufacturers round - some round up to 4300, others round down to 4200. Same RAM.
    Make sure the RAM is placed in the first dimm closest to the CPU and the 2nd DIMM is placed in the opposing DIMM on the other bank, usually the same colour.

    Did you try to reboot and reseat a few times. I have had to do that a few times to get new RAM to work on some systems.

  21. #21
    Senior Member gabdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    Trek, Giant, PoS
    Posts
    1,486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are the beep codes for the PC, see if you can tell what the error is, obviously, more than likely the top 2. Can you get the PC to work with the old memory? DO you have another PC to try the new memory in?

    Code
    Cause
    1-3-1 through 2-4-4
    Memory not being properly identified or used
    4-3-1
    Memory failure above address 0FFFFh

    If you hear one of the following beep codes, see "Contacting Dell" in your Owner's Manual for instructions on obtaining technical assistance.
    Code
    Cause
    1-1-2
    Microprocessor register failure
    1-1-3
    NVRAM
    1-1-4
    ROM BIOS checksum failure
    1-2-1
    Programmable interval timer
    1-2-2
    DMA initialization failure
    1-2-3
    DMA page register read/write failure
    3-1-1
    Slave DMA register failure
    3-1-2
    Master DMA register failure
    3-1-3
    Master interrupt mask register failure
    3-1-4
    Slave interrupt mask register failure
    3-2-2
    Interrupt vector loading failure
    3-2-4
    Keyboard Controller Test failure
    3-3-1
    NVRAM power loss
    3-3-2
    NVRAM configuration
    3-3-4
    Video Memory Test failure
    3-4-1
    Screen initialization failure
    3-4-2
    Screen retrace failure
    3-4-3
    Search for video ROM failure
    4-2-1
    No time tick
    4-2-2
    Shutdown failure
    4-2-3
    Gate A20 failure
    4-2-4
    Unexpected interrupt in protected mode
    4-3-3
    Timer-chip counter 2 failure
    4-3-4
    Time-of-day clock stopped
    4-4-1
    Serial or parallel port test failure
    4-4-4
    Cache test failure

  22. #22
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Home alone
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
    Posts
    6,021
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  23. #23
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,994
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Get a Mac.

  24. #24
    Senior Member permanentjaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,714
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    Get a Mac.
    No.

  25. #25
    Senior Member permanentjaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,714
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gabdy View Post
    Here are the beep codes for the PC, see if you can tell what the error is, obviously, more than likely the top 2. Can you get the PC to work with the old memory? DO you have another PC to try the new memory in?

    Code
    Cause
    1-3-1 through 2-4-4
    Memory not being properly identified or used
    4-3-1
    Memory failure above address 0FFFFh

    If you hear one of the following beep codes, see "Contacting Dell" in your Owner's Manual for instructions on obtaining technical assistance.
    Code
    Cause
    1-1-2
    Microprocessor register failure
    1-1-3
    NVRAM
    1-1-4
    ROM BIOS checksum failure
    1-2-1
    Programmable interval timer
    1-2-2
    DMA initialization failure
    1-2-3
    DMA page register read/write failure
    3-1-1
    Slave DMA register failure
    3-1-2
    Master DMA register failure
    3-1-3
    Master interrupt mask register failure
    3-1-4
    Slave interrupt mask register failure
    3-2-2
    Interrupt vector loading failure
    3-2-4
    Keyboard Controller Test failure
    3-3-1
    NVRAM power loss
    3-3-2
    NVRAM configuration
    3-3-4
    Video Memory Test failure
    3-4-1
    Screen initialization failure
    3-4-2
    Screen retrace failure
    3-4-3
    Search for video ROM failure
    4-2-1
    No time tick
    4-2-2
    Shutdown failure
    4-2-3
    Gate A20 failure
    4-2-4
    Unexpected interrupt in protected mode
    4-3-3
    Timer-chip counter 2 failure
    4-3-4
    Time-of-day clock stopped
    4-4-1
    Serial or parallel port test failure
    4-4-4
    Cache test failure
    I don't know what mine is doing. I uploaded a video of my computer beeping. I think its trying to ask me to marry it. I don't know. What do you think?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfFTOjc-JrE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •