Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40
  1. #1
    Life is good RonH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Posts
    13,644
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I got another new laptop

    I got a Dell Inspiron 1721 (laptop) in August.
    It came with Windows Vista.

    Vista crashed 3 times this past week and I had to start the computer in "Safe Mode". What a crock!!
    Anyway, after struggling with that piece of crap WAY TOO LONG I decided to get a computer with an operating system that works (because Dell would not uninstall Vista and install XP - they say that's downgrading the computer).
    Plus the touchpad never did work to my satisfaction. Not sure if that was a Dell problem or a Vista problem.
    So the wife and I went to the Apple store today and after a first rate explanation and demo that lasted for almost an hour, we got a MacBook Pro. I'm VERY pleased so far.
    The Dell (and Windows Vista) are being returned on Monday. Good riddance!!

    Did I make a good choice?
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

    Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

  2. #2
    BF's Level 12 Wizard SingingSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
    Posts
    1,414
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You made a superb choice!

    Welcome to the brotherhood!
    Shameless plug (my sites):
    Photography
    Vanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn
    Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.

  3. #3
    Life is good RonH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Posts
    13,644
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW: I seriously considered getting the MacBook before I bought the Dell but the lower price of the Dell swayed me over to the dark side.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

    Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

  4. #4
    Senior Member permanentjaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,714
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh boy here we go again.

  5. #5
    Student balsingh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MPLS
    My Bikes
    Trek 2300, Trek 6500, Old Puegot Course, Specialized Tarmac Pro
    Posts
    253
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You made a great choice. That's what I got. Not trying to provoke the A vs. B argument, but I really do enjoy having an Apple. They're fun. But above all, they're very functional, once you figure out most of their tricks. Congrats.

    Bal
    balvindar.blogspot.com

  6. #6
    BF's Level 12 Wizard SingingSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
    Posts
    1,414
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I should share this with you. It's fun!
    Shameless plug (my sites):
    Photography
    Vanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn
    Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.

  7. #7
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Home alone
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
    Posts
    6,021
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    I got a Dell Inspiron 1721 in August.
    It came with Windows Vista.

    Vista crashed 3 times this past week and I had to start the computer in "Safe Mode". What a crock!!
    Anyway, after struggling with that piece of crap WAY TOO LONG I decided to get a computer with an operating system that works (because Dell would not uninstall Vista and install XP - they say that's downgrading the computer).
    Plus the touchpad never did work to my satisfaction. Not sure if that was a Dell problem or a Vista problem.
    So the wife and I went to the Apple store today and after a first rate explanation and demo that lasted for almost an hour, we got a MacBook Pro. I'm VERY pleased so far.
    The Dell (and Windows Vista) are being returned on Monday. Good riddance!!

    Did I make a good choice?
    You can return a computer after 3 months?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Marrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,921
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why didn't you just install XP on it yourself?
    "Engineering! It's like math, but louder."

  9. #9
    Gorntastic! v1k1ng1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States of Mexico
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the operating system on your $900 Dell doesn't work so hot and your solution is to replace it with a $1900 mac??

    Here are two things to consider:

    1. There are plenty of free software options that the average user can install to protect windows from malware. It would only cost you a few hours of reading, reading you should do anyway no matter what hardware/software you are using. You could easily reinstall the system and lock it down.

    2. Second, if you hate windows (there are certainly reasons to hate Vista) instead of buying a new computer, you can run a free linux distribution like ubuntu or pclinuxos. With a little work, you can get these free operating systems up and running in no time. Right now Linux has desktop features that shame both Mac and Windows:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82ZTV82OmKo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qddueXkD8E

    At the end of the day, I'd rather self-educate than shell out $1000 to solve my problems. If you never take the initiative to figure these things out, you'll forever be caught between the scylla of Micro$oft's badly designed products and the charybdis of Apple's "It just works (for an extra $1000)!" marketing scams.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    602
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001 View Post
    So the operating system on your $900 Dell doesn't work so hot and your solution is to replace it with a $1900 mac??

    Here are two things to consider:

    1. There are plenty of free software options that the average user can install to protect windows from malware. It would only cost you a few hours of reading, reading you should do anyway no matter what hardware/software you are using. You could easily reinstall the system and lock it down.

    2. Second, if you hate windows (there are certainly reasons to hate Vista) instead of buying a new computer, you can run a free linux distribution like ubuntu or pclinuxos. With a little work, you can get these free operating systems up and running in no time. Right now Linux has desktop features that shame both Mac and Windows:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82ZTV82OmKo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qddueXkD8E

    At the end of the day, I'd rather self-educate than shell out $1000 to solve my problems. If you never take the initiative to figure these things out, you'll forever be caught between the scylla of Micro$oft's badly designed products and the charybdis of Apple's "It just works (for an extra $1000)!" marketing scams.
    +1
    Although os/x is a well-designed operating system, it's not enough for me to overcome my
    unease with Apple's corporate hype machine.
    Before I bought a mac I'd look into a Dell laptop with pre-loaded Linux...especially with
    Gutsy Gibbon available.
    Im not familiar precisely with exactly what I said, but I stand by what I said whatever it was.

  11. #11
    Gorntastic! v1k1ng1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States of Mexico
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppaspoke View Post
    +1
    Although os/x is a well-designed operating system, it's not enough for me to overcome my
    unease with Apple's corporate hype machine.
    Before I bought a mac I'd look into a Dell laptop with pre-loaded Linux...especially with
    Gutsy Gibbon available.
    Yeah, even though Apple's OS is light years better than windows (what isn't?), there's no way that you're going to convince me that it's worth my while to spend an extra $1000 to have Apple install it on what is basically another intel laptop manufactured by ASUS.

    Just send your Dell back, buy an ASUS (dual boot Windows / Ubuntu Linux) and pocket the extra $700 you would have spent on a macbook pro.

  12. #12
    Senior Member G. Ike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mount Bethel, Pennsylvania
    My Bikes
    Trek 1000SL, Lotus Unique, Panasonic ???
    Posts
    261
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like a MacBook Pro, but I'm too cheap and settled for a MacBook. Congratulations! I love this thing haha.

  13. #13
    Senior Member bgilchrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg
    My Bikes
    2012 RM Prestige CR 10, 2008 Scott S60FB, 2006 Jamis Dakar XLT, 1995 Kona AA
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I understand, you can still get Dells ( or any other computer for that matter) preloaded with XP. We have received a couple of dell laptops in the last few weeks that had XP preloaded.

    Maybe you needed to talk to someone a little higher up ( e.g. supervisor) at Dell.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Marrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,921
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can order Dells right off their site with XP installed.

    This is all I hear about lately since the girlfriend's kid is trying to be subtle in her desire for a laptop by mentioning it every five minutes.
    "Engineering! It's like math, but louder."

  15. #15
    Senior Member axelfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought the new Macbook yesterday and it will arrive next week. We'll see how it works.

  16. #16
    Gorntastic! v1k1ng1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States of Mexico
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HP, Dell, Lenovo and Toshiba all offer XP on certain models if you look around a bit. The problem is that it might not be the model you are looking for.

    I think HP even offers a no OS option on a few of its business laptops that saves you $100. Dell, as mentioned, offers a few computers with Ubuntu pre-installed.

  17. #17
    Chepooka StupidlyBrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Central PA
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ordered two dells on Friday.

    One will be XP-Pro and the other XP-Home.

    Coming from a Unix background, I do like the idea of least-user-permissions (or whatever MS thinks it ought to be called), I'm just not convinced Vista is ready for prime time.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Marrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,921
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vista is still a couple years away from real usability, I have XP beaten into submission just the way I like so I see no reason to switch anytime soon.
    "Engineering! It's like math, but louder."

  19. #19
    Senior Member royalflash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Munich
    My Bikes
    Lemond Alpe dHuez, Scott Sub 10, homemade mtb, Radlbauer adler (old city bike), Dahon impulse (folder with 20 inch wheels), haibike eq xduro
    Posts
    1,372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bugdet Toshiba just gave up. I was never very impressed with it. It was very noisy and overheated if you left it on a flat surface.

    So I got an end of line/demonstrator/returned Sony Vaio with Vista at a very reduced rate. It works fine but I would have preferred to have gone Microsoft-free with a Dell/Ubuntu-Linux combination but unfortunately I need Powerpoint for work.
    only the dead have seen the end of mass motorized stupidity

    Plato

    (well if he was alive today he would have written it)

  20. #20
    Gorntastic! v1k1ng1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States of Mexico
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by royalflash View Post
    My bugdet Toshiba just gave up. I was never very impressed with it. It was very noisy and overheated if you left it on a flat surface.

    So I got an end of line/demonstrator/returned Sony Vaio with Vista at a very reduced rate. It works fine but I would have preferred to have gone Microsoft-free with a Dell/Ubuntu-Linux combination but unfortunately I need Powerpoint for work.
    The situation that works well for me is dual booting so I can jump back into windows if I need something.

  21. #21
    Life is good RonH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Posts
    13,644
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Portis
    You can return a computer after 3 months?
    I have connections.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marrock
    Why didn't you just install XP on it yourself?
    Why should I pay for a new copy of XP when the crap that came on the computer didn't work? Dell should do it!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001
    So the operating system on your $900 Dell doesn't work so hot and your solution is to replace it with a $1900 mac??
    $900?? Try $1500.


    XP wasn't available on any of the Dell "specials" that I saw (loaded with lots of extras).
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

    Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

  22. #22
    Senior Member Marrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,921
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Why should I pay for a new copy of XP when the crap that came on the computer didn't work? Dell should do it!!!
    Pay for XP, now that's funny.
    "Engineering! It's like math, but louder."

  23. #23
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,628
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say anything about Mac's since I have no experience with them. But Dell is the devil himself as far as I'm concerned. So yes, returning that POS is the right thing to do IMO.

  24. #24
    Disgruntled Planner bpohl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Downtown Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    Hybrid-Trek 7500 FX, Road- Trek 2300
    Posts
    883
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G. Ike View Post
    I would like a MacBook Pro, but I'm too cheap and settled for a MacBook. Congratulations! I love this thing haha.
    Talk about cheap. I'm working on a Mac mini here, but I love this damn thing so much it hurts.
    Don't waste your breath to save your face when you have done your best.

  25. #25
    Senior Member Marrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,921
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bpohl View Post
    Talk about cheap. I'm working on a Mac mini here, but I love this damn thing so much it hurts.
    Then you're doing it wrong.
    "Engineering! It's like math, but louder."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •