Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47
  1. #1
    Senior Member bsdsys_x86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chicago,IL
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Health Insurance for single guy!

    I am a 24 year old male, non-smoker, exercise, no health issues that I am aware of and in search of health insurance. I have a problem with my shoulder dislocating and it hurts like H*LL when it dislocates. Last time, a few weeks ago, it happened in my sleep. Only the second time it has ever happened that way before. Paid a hefty bill too! My wisdom teeth are finally coming in and they are starting to also hurt very badly. I am moving from Tennessee to Chicago in June of 2008. What do you guys think my best option is for health insurance? If it is a company that I can get here, and also use in Chicago, great. If you have an opinion on a company that I can get here but not in Chicago let me know both. I want to know my options and kinda going nuts with all the companies in google and not knowing anything about any of them. The policy will be just for me and no one else on the policy. Thanks in advance guys.

  2. #2
    Bring May Flowers aprilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Soon to be South Carolina!
    My Bikes
    '10 Kuota Kebel
    Posts
    961
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have individual health insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield. It's around $50 cheaper than what I would be paying if I were to use my company's plan. I pay $100 a month for a $2k annual deductible.

  3. #3
    J E R S E Y S B E S T Jerseysbest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    1,852
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a part time job at Walmart.

    Oh wait...
    Quote Originally Posted by SingingSabre View Post
    Cheating: a symptom of the problem.

  4. #4
    Senior Member cyclezealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
    My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Posts
    13,145
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Getting a company plan is the only way to avoid the pre existing conditons hassle? You are under 35, costs should be reasonable. Of course, look out for the small print. The exclusions provisions. Often the only way to avoid the cost of the exclusions provisions on most private plans is suicide.

  5. #5
    austropithicus
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdsys_x86 View Post
    I am a 24 year old male, non-smoker, exercise, no health issues that I am aware of and in search of health insurance. I have a problem with my shoulder dislocating and it hurts like H*LL when it dislocates. Last time, a few weeks ago, it happened in my sleep. Only the second time it has ever happened that way before. Paid a hefty bill too! My wisdom teeth are finally coming in and they are starting to also hurt very badly. I am moving from Tennessee to Chicago in June of 2008. What do you guys think my best option is for health insurance? If it is a company that I can get here, and also use in Chicago, great. If you have an opinion on a company that I can get here but not in Chicago let me know both. I want to know my options and kinda going nuts with all the companies in google and not knowing anything about any of them. The policy will be just for me and no one else on the policy. Thanks in advance guys.
    Health insurance is a bad deal. It's better to just take your chances and pay as you go. BTW, you're 24 and should be at the peak of health. You don't need insurance.

  6. #6
    Administrator Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atomic batteries to power; turbines to speed
    My Bikes
    Salsa La Raza, Panasonic Electric, Bria, Bamboo touring, Bamboo cargo
    Posts
    4,707
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to say it but look at taking a trip to Canada or the EU if you can't get insurance through your employer. I have individual insurance and after I broke my neck and had to have spinal surgery my premium jumped to almost $500 a month from about $150. It's now my largest monthly expense.

  7. #7
    Administrator Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atomic batteries to power; turbines to speed
    My Bikes
    Salsa La Raza, Panasonic Electric, Bria, Bamboo touring, Bamboo cargo
    Posts
    4,707
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by austropithicus View Post
    Health insurance is a bad deal. It's better to just take your chances and pay as you go. BTW, you're 24 and should be at the peak of health. You don't need insurance.
    Wrong. My neck ended up costing well over $100,000.00. I would not have been able to come up with it, and would now be left an invalid.

  8. #8
    Senior Member cyclezealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
    My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Posts
    13,145
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by austropithicus View Post
    Health insurance is a bad deal. It's better to just take your chances and pay as you go. BTW, you're 24 and should be at the peak of health. You don't need insurance.
    austro. My bike related shoulder surgery ended up costing over $ 20K.
    For a 45 minute rote cuff repair in an outpatient surgery center./ Paid for thanks to my employers policy. Accidents do happen. Tho, I do agree, private insurance is a scam. And my insurance policy had very strict limits on post surgery therapy. Prepare to do your physical therapy all on your own.

  9. #9
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by austropithicus View Post
    Health insurance is a bad deal. It's better to just take your chances and pay as you go. BTW, you're 24 and should be at the peak of health. You don't need insurance.
    wow...

    I always suspected you folks from Ames were a little...slow.

  10. #10
    austropithicus
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyquest View Post
    wow...

    I always suspected you folks from Ames were a little...slow.
    So how much money do you suppose I've saved over 20 years of not buying insurance? $5000 per year? $6000 per year? Take that times 20 and add in some interest and I've probably saved $300,000.

  11. #11
    Administrator Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atomic batteries to power; turbines to speed
    My Bikes
    Salsa La Raza, Panasonic Electric, Bria, Bamboo touring, Bamboo cargo
    Posts
    4,707
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have that $300,000.00 in an account to be used for medical expenses? If not, tread lightly.

  12. #12
    Senior Member cyclezealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
    My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Posts
    13,145
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    wtf. my policy is now costing my employer 901 dollars a month. Praise be to strong unions, or we'd be uninsured .

  13. #13
    austropithicus
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclezealot View Post
    wtf. my policy is now costing my employer 901 dollars a month. Praise be to strong unions, or we'd be uninsured .
    Good employers would offer the $901 monthly cash to their employees. That's almost $11,000 per year. I'll take the cash and take my chances.

  14. #14
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To each his own...i wish you the best of health.

  15. #15
    Senior Member cyclezealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
    My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Posts
    13,145
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by austropithicus View Post
    Good employers would offer the $901 monthly cash to their employees. That's almost $11,000 per year. I'll take the cash and take my chances.
    If say - WalMart could be some how stuck with that tab on me as a semi- retired employee who did an early retirement , who had gone on to something else- they'd probably take out a hit man on me. ? what do ya think? Especialy if they had one of those health insurance policies naming themselves as beneficaries.

  16. #16
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Home alone
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
    Posts
    6,021
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by austropithicus View Post
    So how much money do you suppose I've saved over 20 years of not buying insurance? $5000 per year? $6000 per year? Take that times 20 and add in some interest and I've probably saved $300,000.
    YOu are talking about self insuring. NOt a bad plan if you are a millionaire. The part you are right about is that you will "take your chance." Without health insurance, every minute of your life you are at risk for major financial disaster.


    It's totally a stupid plan but nobody says it couldn't work.

  17. #17
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Portis View Post
    It's totally a stupid plan but nobody says it couldn't work.
    If i'm not in school next year, and without a real job, i'm likely not going to have health insurance. I'll have serious reservations about riding a bicycle at 40mph...

  18. #18
    hello roadfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Posts
    18,502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being self-employed, I might just get that part time job at Walmart or Target just so I can drop my $700/month HMO premium.

  19. #19
    Portland Fred banerjek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid
    Posts
    10,506
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by austropithicus View Post
    Good employers would offer the $901 monthly cash to their employees. That's almost $11,000 per year. I'll take the cash and take my chances.
    My employer pays over a grand a month for me. What a rip. Far more goes into insurance than into anything else. And the bonus is that it's totally worthless if I leave my job for any reason (I may want to retire someday)

    The purpose of insurance should be to protect against catastrophic loss. However, we have a Cadillac plan that has practically no deductible and the costs are insane because they cover all this nickel and dime stuff. If I could have used my health benefits to purchase a plan that made any sense (i.e. high deductible) and bank the rest, I'd be in fabulous shape now.

    If the lower paid workers where I am could just take the cash and do what they will, some would get a 50% increase in salary. If they were offered such a raise with an opportunity to buy their health insurance, I suspect few would take the deal even though it would be financially equivalent to what they have now.

  20. #20
    DocRay
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by austropithicus View Post
    Health insurance is a bad deal. It's better to just take your chances and pay as you go. BTW, you're 24 and should be at the peak of health. You don't need insurance.
    Yes, all you need is the internet and for anything serious or an accident, walk it off.

  21. #21
    DocRay
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by banerjek View Post
    If the lower paid workers where I am could just take the cash and do what they will, some would get a 50% increase in salary. If they were offered such a raise with an opportunity to buy their health insurance, I suspect few would take the deal even though it would be financially equivalent to what they have now.
    That's so smart, because everyone can predict exactly when they will get sick or in an accident, better to have the cash now for a slightly shinier car or bigger TV.

  22. #22
    austropithicus
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lauren View Post
    Fail.

    I am 24, and I would be living on the street half way into a coma without my health insurance.

    A "simple" problem like hypothyroidism will cost you $600ish minimum a year for the rest of your life for a yearly visit and bloodwork, not including medication (between $12 and $40 a month). The first year with bloodwork every 8 weeks until you find the right dose would be several thousand.

    Try having a rare and poorly understood health problem without insurance. My medical bills would probably be twice my take home pay for the last two years.

    Again, I am 24 and would probably be very close to dead right now without my health insuranace. Instead, I am going to see a specialist in NY in a week and a half, and in a year may be much closer to normal than any of my current doctors think is possible. I have also been able to continue grad school through this with the help of my doctors and disability services. Something that would have been impossible without aggressive medical treatment.
    I'm sorry about your condition Lauren. No offense, but if I paid for insurance I would be paying for your problems. Healthcare is not an easy issue. Who are you voting for next year? (just curious since you are in liberal whinerville, NC)
    Last edited by austropithicus; 11-27-07 at 01:28 PM.

  23. #23
    austropithicus
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DocRay View Post
    Yes, all you need is the internet and for anything serious or an accident, walk it off.
    I think you should get insurance. You sound very risk averse. Now go inside and play with your sister.

  24. #24
    DocRay
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by austropithicus View Post
    I'm sorry about your condition Lauren. No offense, but if I paid for insurance I would be paying for your problems. Healthcare is not an easy issue. Who are you voting for next year? (just curious since you are in liberal whinerville, NC)
    Wow. I seriously hope you get a massive ass tumor next week and bankrupt everyone in your life before you die of lack of care.

    Healthcare is an easy issue, you either decide to live in a society with others, or live in cave, tax-free.

  25. #25
    austropithicus
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DocRay View Post
    Wow. I seriously hope you get a massive ass tumor next week and bankrupt everyone in your life before you die of lack of care.
    I hope you are ass-tumor free for the rest of your days.

    Quote Originally Posted by DocRay View Post
    Healthcare is an easy issue, you either decide to live in a society with others, or live in cave, tax-free.
    You like simple answers, eh Doc? "You're either with us or against us" type answers?
    Last edited by austropithicus; 11-27-07 at 02:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •