Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-27-07, 05:46 PM   #1
mlts22 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MMO bet between a friend and I -- need help

College is winding down this semester, so a friend of mine and I, both on and off MMO players have a bet, starting in a couple days, of who can level a class in WoW to 70 the soonest. What is stake is not money (loser buys winner dinner at Kerbey Lane), but ego. I rarely engage in e-peen contests (they suck anyway, because even if you win, you have to look at someone else's e-junk), but this is something to do over a slow winter vacation, and both of us have been doing MMOs/MUDs for a long time.

He is going mage or warlock, I'm doing a hunter, and neither of us have played these classes to any real degree. We are picking servers that we have never been on (PvE), and doing opposite factions (he is going Horde, I Ally) than our normal chars. He pretty much plays tank types for his mains (rogue, warrior), I play healers (priest, druid, pally). So, we are grabbing some class that isn't our playstyle and going to try to level that.

The rules are simple. First to 70 emails a screenshot to the other claiming victory. No transferring characters to the new server, and (obviously) no EULA breaking (as in no buying gold).

Now the Foo question: Any recommendations on a WoW server (PvE... PvP has too many random factors to make it really fair) with a decent Ally population, and hopefully Ironforge chat that won't rot my brain when I see the trade channel?
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-07, 05:54 PM   #2
Eboo
Chicken farmer!
 
Eboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Palmyra, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This post totally convinced me that I am re-subscribing my account for the month of January. Try as I might, I can't repress my inner nerd.

I have really only played on PvP servers, so I can't recommend a particular server for you, but generally the ally populations stink no matter where you go (come on, the horde are so freaking sexy!)

My mains have all been hunters. Ridiculously easy to level, and even more so now that I hear they got rid of their dead zone. You should be able to win, hands down. Make sure you keep a fast pet (like a cat or a raptor) and a tank pet (like a bear or a gorilla...my personal favorite) leveled with you throughout.

Good god...I might re-subscribe tonight...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psydotek View Post
Will they be snackrificed on a roll of sourdough?
Eboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-07, 06:04 PM   #3
mlts22 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboo View Post
This post totally convinced me that I am re-subscribing my account for the month of January. Try as I might, I can't repress my inner nerd.

I have really only played on PvP servers, so I can't recommend a particular server for you, but generally the ally populations stink no matter where you go (come on, the horde are so freaking sexy!)

My mains have all been hunters. Ridiculously easy to level, and even more so now that I hear they got rid of their dead zone. You should be able to win, hands down. Make sure you keep a fast pet (like a cat or a raptor) and a tank pet (like a bear or a gorilla...my personal favorite) leveled with you throughout.

Good god...I might re-subscribe tonight...
The dead zone is definitely gone. When doing a heroic BF, a friend of mine was raving how he can just step back four yards and open up with his shotgun like no tomorrow.

As for my pets, I'll be probably choosing a boar for grinding (because of the initial charge agro, high armor, high HP, and post 60, boars are VERY rare because the highest level are the ugly ones in WPL), and either a cat or scorp for PvP (scorp to add more poison debuffs so the druid/pally/shammy has to spend more time trying to remove sting before going OOM, or a cat if I go NE for stealth).

Good hunters are really cool. I've seen one be able to occupy seven mobs before patch (three ice cubes, due to SV talent, one wyv shotted, one polymorphed by some engineering trinket, one on pet, and one being kited in tight circles.)
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-07, 06:07 PM   #4
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars
 
TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
Posts: 10,527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
*moves along*
TRaffic Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-07, 06:12 PM   #5
Eboo
Chicken farmer!
 
Eboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Palmyra, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post

Good hunters are really cool. I've seen one be able to occupy seven mobs before patch (three ice cubes, due to SV talent, one wyv shotted, one polymorphed by some engineering trinket, one on pet, and one being kited in tight circles.)
ahahaha...and on the flip side, bad hunters are VERY BAD (speaking as a moderatly still-bad hunter)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psydotek View Post
Will they be snackrificed on a roll of sourdough?
Eboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-07, 06:55 PM   #6
CycleMagic
Crazy Like a Daisy
 
CycleMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: North Carolina, USA
Bikes: Giant OCR-3
Posts: 1,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oops! walked into the wrong room, I have no idea what you people are talking about. Carry on!
__________________
Where am I going?......

....and why am I in this handbasket?
CycleMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-07, 09:03 PM   #7
BenLi
Hardrocker
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
College is winding down this semester, so a friend of mine and I, both on and off MMO players have a bet, starting in a couple days, of who can level a class in WoW to 70 the soonest. What is stake is not money (loser buys winner dinner at Kerbey Lane), but ego. I rarely engage in e-peen contests (they suck anyway, because even if you win, you have to look at someone else's e-junk), but this is something to do over a slow winter vacation, and both of us have been doing MMOs/MUDs for a long time.

He is going mage or warlock, I'm doing a hunter, and neither of us have played these classes to any real degree. We are picking servers that we have never been on (PvE), and doing opposite factions (he is going Horde, I Ally) than our normal chars. He pretty much plays tank types for his mains (rogue, warrior), I play healers (priest, druid, pally). So, we are grabbing some class that isn't our playstyle and going to try to level that.

The rules are simple. First to 70 emails a screenshot to the other claiming victory. No transferring characters to the new server, and (obviously) no EULA breaking (as in no buying gold).

Now the Foo question: Any recommendations on a WoW server (PvE... PvP has too many random factors to make it really fair) with a decent Ally population, and hopefully Ironforge chat that won't rot my brain when I see the trade channel?


Photoshop
BenLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-07, 09:05 PM   #8
polara426sh
Displaced Southerner
 
polara426sh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Webster, NY
Bikes: 1967 Peugeot UO-8, 1984 Torpado Beta, 1985 Trek 300, 1989 Dave Moulton Fuso FRX, '90s Hardrock x2, '90s Norco Pinnacle, Focus MB-350 IRO SSFGGB
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a piece of toast.
polara426sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-07, 09:13 PM   #9
BananaTugger
CPM M4
 
BananaTugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
Bikes: Light.
Posts: 4,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As a professional FPS player, this thread makes me go ">.<".

Please, think of the children.
__________________
Ten tenths.
BananaTugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-07, 09:15 PM   #10
skinnyone
Dude wheres my guads?
 
skinnyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Guess
Bikes: Not enough
Posts: 2,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Omg Wtf Bbq Mka Thx Bai
skinnyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-07, 09:17 PM   #11
BananaTugger
CPM M4
 
BananaTugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
Bikes: Light.
Posts: 4,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyone View Post
Omg Wtf Bbq Mka Thx Bai
LoLuMaD????
__________________
Ten tenths.
BananaTugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 09:11 AM   #12
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored
 
catatonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
Posts: 5,825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PvP Horde. Frostmane is alright for solo and some group action.

Just remember the cardinal rule of PUGs (Pick Up Groups), everyone with you is a f----g moron that can't find a regular group, or is a noob....or both. Go into pick up groups expecting the worst, that way things can only stay as bad or improve.

If playing a hunter, beast spec is good, and survival spec is good for solo IF (and only IF) you go in almost exclusively survival (with exception of aimed shot) and are a in your face style player, and choose the right pet (My opinion is crab pets are the best for a solo survival spec hunter...reasonable damage per second, insane durability vs melee, but paper vs casters, that's fine since you are the main tank if you are a survival hunter anyways).
catatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 09:26 AM   #13
squegeeboo
******
 
squegeeboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: Specalized Tri-Cross
Posts: 951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboo View Post
This post totally convinced me that I am re-subscribing my account for the month of January. Try as I might, I can't repress my inner nerd.

I have really only played on PvP servers, so I can't recommend a particular server for you, but generally the ally populations stink no matter where you go (come on, the horde are so freaking sexy!)

My mains have all been hunters. Ridiculously easy to level, and even more so now that I hear they got rid of their dead zone. You should be able to win, hands down. Make sure you keep a fast pet (like a cat or a raptor) and a tank pet (like a bear or a gorilla...my personal favorite) leveled with you throughout.

Good god...I might re-subscribe tonight...
Don't do it!!!!

Man, giving up that game was the hardest thing I ever quit successfully. Thankfully all my friends play horde which I refuse to play, and biking and frisbee take up enough of my free time that the desire to get back in, while still there, can be defeated.

Also, I'd say get a Bear for a pet, unless everyone else does. Mine was named Chubbs, and he was my bestest friend.
__________________
In the words of Einstein
"And now I think I'll take a bath"
squegeeboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 09:26 AM   #14
squegeeboo
******
 
squegeeboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: Specalized Tri-Cross
Posts: 951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaTugger View Post
As a professional FPS player, this thread makes me go ">.<".

Please, think of the children.
Are you an actual professional player?
__________________
In the words of Einstein
"And now I think I'll take a bath"
squegeeboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 09:35 AM   #15
Tude 
Blasted Weeds
 
Tude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
Posts: 1,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ex is up there, and is now working on his newest character.

LEEERROOOOOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
Tude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 02:42 PM   #16
mlts22 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know professional FPS players who go to regional (and national) tournaments, though I have no clue if its enough money for full time "work". Its not on the par with golf or poker, but there is prize money to be had.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 02:44 PM   #17
trsidn 
Soggy Member
 
trsidn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyone View Post
Omg Wtf Bbq Mka Thx Bai
what he said.....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio View Post
.... Other than being completely wrong, you're correct.
trsidn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 06:46 PM   #18
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored
 
catatonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
Posts: 5,825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Crab pet....Mine was named VD, he was totally awesome. It was great to see a melee class stupid enough to go toe to toe with it....I finish off the caster dumb enough to play, then go over and show the tard who's boss.

Fear Wangarang and his Crab VD (or his windserpent, Dingaling), for they are busy pwning your nubz.
catatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 07:03 PM   #19
BananaTugger
CPM M4
 
BananaTugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
Bikes: Light.
Posts: 4,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squegeeboo View Post
Are you an actual professional player?
CAL-I, CEVO-SP and two seasons of ESL EPS with some of my Euro friends.

I've also been to about 60 LAN Tournaments in the last 7 years, including the 2004, 2005 and 2006 Dreamhack LAN's and a Top-20 Finish at the 2003 CPL Summer.
__________________
Ten tenths.
BananaTugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:15 AM.