Wow. I seriously think I almost died today.
This morning, I woke up an hour and a half earlier than usual with an incredibly splitting headache. I couldn't go back to sleep, so I got my dog out of the bed to take him outside. My dog didn't want to get up. He just kept kissing my face and trying to get closer to me.
Well, finally, I have to push him out of the bed. I go and open the back door and then sat down in the living room. My dog refused to go outside. He came and sat on my lap and insisted on being up in my face. All this time, my head is splitting.
At this point, I'm freaking out a little bit, so I decide to go out for breakfast and take my dog with me. I leave the house and my headache begins to subside. I came back home and walked in the house and my head started splitting again.
At this point, I freak out and turn off the heater (we have gas heat). I check my CO monitor and it is functioning correctly, so I call the gas company.
The gas company rep arrived at my house with all his machinery and lo' and behold, my house had 350 ppm of Carbon Monoxide. He told me that a few hours of that would be fatal.
Apparently, my CO detector only picks up at 400 ppm when sustained for 15 minutes.
The maintenance people in my housing complex came and worked on it (I'm not sure what he did because he spoke ZERO English) but they say that it's fixed. Even though they say that, I'm still scared to turn on my heat tonight.
Thank God for my dog, though. If he hadn't acted so strangely, I probably would have just tried to go back to sleep and thought I just had a bad headache.