Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Gorntastic! v1k1ng1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States of Mexico
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Advice for ebay noob???

    No takers on my CAAD9 frameset and I need some fast cash to put toward a new laptop.

    Ebay seems to be the way to go. I've bought plenty of stuff on ebay but I've never sold anything.

    Give some advice to a first time seller.

  2. #2
    Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP) Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pictures, plenty of clear, detailed pictures. They don't have to be huge... 640x480 to 800x600. People hate a slow loading auction page and you loose perspective if you have to scroll all over the place to view it.

    A good, honest, somewhat loquacious description helps. Don't lie or exaggerate, especially on condition, but remember the ad man's motto... Sell the sizzle, not the steak.

    Lastly, a feedback history helps emensly too. People are hesitant to buy from a zero or shabby feedback seller.

    Hope this helps.

  3. #3
    Senior Member AnthonyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Queanbeyan, Australia.
    Posts
    3,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first thing to do is to search eBay for CAAD9 framesets and see whats for sale and what its going for. Search completed listings and see what prices have been acheived. Is it what you want to get for it?

    An important first step is to take some REALY good pictures of your frame. Buyers like good photographs. When it comes to posting your photographs send the uncompressed origional to eBay and let it do the compressing once and once only. Use the option of larger photographs. If it doesn't look good your not going to get good bids on it.

    Have your shipping and packing costs worked out before hand. Buyers like to know what they are committing themselves to. Simply stating that you will work it out later is going to put off potential bidders and have others leaving some headroom in their bids.

    Decide on your starting price or buy it now stratergy. I'm not a fan of 99c starting bids. I've seen it fail as often as I've seen it succeed. Its a risk. Yes I've seen it attract a lot of bids but sometimes those bids fall woefully short of a decent price. I reccomend starting at a price that you would be happy with at a pinch if thats the only bid you get. I also reccomend having a buy it now price thats not simply a fantasy. Tempt a buyer with a price thats good for them and reasonable for you.

    Thats a start.

    Regards, Anthony

  4. #4
    Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP) Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh... I forgot. Do not use ebay as your picture host, especially as includes in an auction. They charge you for additional pictures, and they charge you for bigger pictures. Masters of the nickle and dime!

    Use your own picture host. The 'Description' text box recognizes basic HTML so you can do a mini web page for your listing complete with text formatting, tables, pictures and links. Don't pay ebay for the crap!

  5. #5
    Senior Member AnthonyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Queanbeyan, Australia.
    Posts
    3,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
    Oh... I forgot. Do not use ebay as your picture host, especially as includes in an auction. They charge you for additional pictures, and they charge you for bigger pictures. Masters of the nickle and dime!

    Use your own picture host. The 'Description' text box recognizes basic HTML so you can do a mini web page for your listing complete with text formatting, tables, pictures and links. Don't pay ebay for the crap!

    You know I kind of thought the same but I managed to get the eBay picture hosting to work well enough for me. See my instructions in the post above. Sure you can do better by doing it yourself but when you price in your time for setting it up then eBays prices aren't that unreasonable.

    Regards, Anthony

  6. #6
    Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP) Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing is, we'd been using our own photohost for years before ebay even thought of hosting images.

  7. #7
    Caustic Soccer Mom apclassic9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Millstone WV
    Posts
    1,759
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in your description, spend a little bit of verbiage explaining how your frame was used - terrain & riding style. Make sure your frame is super clean when you take your pics, and highlight & describe any scratches or dings. Also, copy & paste the frame's specs from the c'dale site.
    As with mud, life, too, slides by.

  8. #8
    <>< SoonerBent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    My Bikes
    RANS Tailwind
    Posts
    768
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be very careful about copying anything from a manufacturers website. Everything on a website is property of the manufacturer and they often watch ebay for infringement and contact ebay. Ebay will then pull your auction and/or suspend your account. There was thread just recently on foo about a foosters auction being pulled for this reason.

  9. #9
    That darn Yankee TexasGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    West West Fort Worth
    My Bikes
    Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
    Posts
    4,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001 View Post
    No takers on my CAAD9 frameset and I need some fast cash to put toward a new laptop.

    Ebay seems to be the way to go. I've bought plenty of stuff on ebay but I've never sold anything.

    Give some advice to a first time seller.
    you'll never be able to guess all of the questions that they ask and no matter what you put in there there will be people asking questions about the exact stuff you spent so much time writing about.

    Generally you want to make somebody comfortable about what they are buying. Pretend like you were buying something. what questions would you ask
    Shipping / Handling?
    Satisfaction?
    Condition?
    if used what did it do?
    etc
    Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
    "Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
    So many sayings, so little sig space.

  10. #10
    Banned Indy_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    On a boat
    My Bikes
    2000 Fisher Paragon, 2005 Giant OCR2, 2006 Bianchi SASS, numerous others
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I normally do is have a friend who does sell a lot of stuff on ebay list it for me.

  11. #11
    Gorntastic! v1k1ng1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States of Mexico
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of things I hadn't thought about. Thanks everyone.

    Yeah, it's brand new, factory packed and ready to fly. I would think that it would fetch a good price were it not for the fact that I have almost zero feedback.

    The other option is to keep in the marketplace here until someone snaps it up, but that might not be for a few months.

  12. #12
    It's an old photo Boss Moniker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Entropia
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R500, Specialized Hardrock
    Posts
    774
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Not a bad idea, if you have a friend you trust and s/he trusts you, using an ebay account with feedback will net better bids.

    Be very communicative, check your email often. I hate asking a question on an item with BIN then once the seller gets back to me days later it's already sold.

    If you want suggestions on layout, I've had good luck with the following:

    Make a table with two columns, the one on the left 500px wide, the one on the right 300 or 400px wide. Fill the one on the right with 300/400px thumbnails in a vertical row, leaving a little space between each one (if it's not obvious what's in the photo, put a caption in this space). Make each photo a link to the bigger version, and make sure your buyers know about this (write "Click each photo for bigger version" in bold somewhere"). Important: DO NOT USE STOCK PHOTOS. I hate this. So much.

    Now for the left column. Open with a paragraph about what the item is and why you're selling it. Also include a sentance or two about why the buyer might want this item if they don't know what they're looking for. If you don't need much space to describe the condition, include it in this paragraph. Otherwise use another paragraph. I often make key-words bold like "BB Included" or something so that it'll catch the eye of readers who skim it. Follow with a bullet-point list of the specs. As others have said, don't copy from the manufacturers website, but double-check to make sure you included everything. Also make certain words bold for this. End with a paragraph about additional terms, how long buyers should expect for you to ship it, etc. and mention that you answer questions quickly. This last point is key: don't write like a robot. Have some personality to the listing.

    If you can't handle the html for this, I could probably whip up a template, but I'm busy today.

    EDIT: Oh, and be sure to budget enough for shipping.. you may need to buy a box/shipping supplies in addition to actual postage. It sucks to lose money because you didn't charge enough for shipping/handling.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutret View Post
    Just because I'm not angry anymore doesn't mean I don't think bossmoniker and every other hipster **** I see riding around on aerowheels isn't a piece of **** thats only use is to be an easy target for ridicule.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    My Bikes
    Trek 2300, Cannondale ??, Univega Hyrid
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might also consider adding local pickup OK. This helps give the impression the frame actually exists....
    sigless at the moment....

  14. #14
    ♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯ -=(8)=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
    My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Posts
    7,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you try Craigslist ?
    Ive listed motorcycles on ebay and only gotten wackjobs.

    In my move from Vermont I put most of my bike stuff (a lot !)on craigslist and
    after weeding out the email timewasters found real, good buyers for
    all of it.

  15. #15
    Bring May Flowers aprilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Soon to be South Carolina!
    My Bikes
    '10 Kuota Kebel
    Posts
    961
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    I'm not a fan of 99c starting bids. I've seen it fail as often as I've seen it succeed. Its a risk. Yes I've seen it attract a lot of bids but sometimes those bids fall woefully short of a decent price.
    Good point. On the other hand, setting something at a low price often attracts more bidders (and thereby watchers) from the start, and you'll get people more interested as it goes on, even as the price goes up.

  16. #16
    Senior Member jaxgtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    My Bikes
    Cannondale SuperSix, Trek 7300, Trek CrossRip
    Posts
    3,907
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had my Specialized on Craig's List for 3 weeks and no takers, but one guy came out and looked. I put my bike on ebay and in 3 days I had 17 people watching and 3 local people call me. Sold it last night for just about what I had it up as a BIN price to a local guy. Just be reasonable with your pricing, don't try getting rich or it will never sell.

    The very same bike as mine, only one size smaller, same components\wheels, and the guy is trying to sell it with a new bike price, $800, only the bike is 4 years old and he has no bidders. He actually has had to re-list it yesterday. I put mine up for $550 BIN, sold it and I ended the auction early. Best of both worlds. I sold it, have cash in hand, and I did not have to ship it anywhere. .

    As far as starting price, I always use use the; this is my bottom line to sell number.
    Brian | 2013 Cannondale SuperSix 5 | 2003 Trek 7300 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.

  17. #17
    Gorntastic! v1k1ng1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States of Mexico
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -=Łem in Pa=- View Post
    Did you try Craigslist ?
    Ive listed motorcycles on ebay and only gotten wackjobs.

    In my move from Vermont I put most of my bike stuff (a lot !)on craigslist and
    after weeding out the email timewasters found real, good buyers for
    all of it.
    Local folks around here would be shocked by a listing for a $600-$700 frameset, and I know all the people that would be interested.

    The auction is attractive because I'm moving at the end of the month and could use less boxed frame and more cash.

  18. #18
    Gorntastic! v1k1ng1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States of Mexico
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss Moniker View Post
    ^ Not a bad idea, if you have a friend you trust and s/he trusts you, using an ebay account with feedback will net better bids.

    Be very communicative, check your email often. I hate asking a question on an item with BIN then once the seller gets back to me days later it's already sold.

    If you want suggestions on layout, I've had good luck with the following:

    Make a table with two columns, the one on the left 500px wide, the one on the right 300 or 400px wide. Fill the one on the right with 300/400px thumbnails in a vertical row, leaving a little space between each one (if it's not obvious what's in the photo, put a caption in this space). Make each photo a link to the bigger version, and make sure your buyers know about this (write "Click each photo for bigger version" in bold somewhere"). Important: DO NOT USE STOCK PHOTOS. I hate this. So much.

    Now for the left column. Open with a paragraph about what the item is and why you're selling it. Also include a sentance or two about why the buyer might want this item if they don't know what they're looking for. If you don't need much space to describe the condition, include it in this paragraph. Otherwise use another paragraph. I often make key-words bold like "BB Included" or something so that it'll catch the eye of readers who skim it. Follow with a bullet-point list of the specs. As others have said, don't copy from the manufacturers website, but double-check to make sure you included everything. Also make certain words bold for this. End with a paragraph about additional terms, how long buyers should expect for you to ship it, etc. and mention that you answer questions quickly. This last point is key: don't write like a robot. Have some personality to the listing.

    If you can't handle the html for this, I could probably whip up a template, but I'm busy today.

    EDIT: Oh, and be sure to budget enough for shipping.. you may need to buy a box/shipping supplies in addition to actual postage. It sucks to lose money because you didn't charge enough for shipping/handling.
    I think your ebay skills own mine. I'll see what I can do! Thanks.

  19. #19
    Dude wheres my guads? skinnyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Guess
    My Bikes
    Not enough
    Posts
    2,680
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    Decide on your starting price or buy it now stratergy. I'm not a fan of 99c starting bids. I've seen it fail as often as I've seen it succeed. Its a risk. Yes I've seen it attract a lot of bids but sometimes those bids fall woefully short of a decent price. I reccomend starting at a price that you would be happy with at a pinch if thats the only bid you get. I also reccomend having a buy it now price thats not simply a fantasy. Tempt a buyer with a price thats good for them and reasonable for you.

    Thats a start.

    Regards, Anthony
    Assuming that the frame is a fairly common size, for something as popular as a CAAD9 frame I think a 99c bid would be fine as the market is going to determine a fair price (as you suggested the fair price is pretty much an average of all the previous auction prices for similar frames). If you are selling something one off or low volume, then it would be a bad idea to put a low starting price. The starting price also determines how much you get charged initial fees.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •