Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-12-07, 10:26 AM   #1
Olebiker
Resident Old Fart
Thread Starter
 
Olebiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Bikes: Douglas Precision Ti
Posts: 1,299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jingle Bells

Why is "Jingle Bells" considered a Christmas carol? It doesn't mention Christmas. "Frosty the Snowman"? No Christmas there. "Let It Snow", "Winter Wonderland", "Sleigh Ride", and "Good King Wenceslaus." No mention of Christmas.

How did they become Christmas carols. And who is this Carol they speak of?
__________________
Wag more, bark less
Olebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 10:29 AM   #2
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Because just like they commercialize Christmas by turning it from one day into an entire season. They steal any song or theme that is "winter" related and claim it for Christmas. That's why we now have the "winter holidays".
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 10:31 AM   #3
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olebiker View Post
Why is "Jingle Bells" considered a Christmas carol? It doesn't mention Christmas. "Frosty the Snowman"? No Christmas there. "Let It Snow", "Winter Wonderland", "Sleigh Ride", and "Good King Wenceslaus." No mention of Christmas.

How did they become Christmas carols. And who is this Carol they speak of?
He "looked out on the feast of Stephen", St. Stephen. St. Stephen day is 12/26. It's close enough when the celebrated was born in the spring. Hey, I don't make the rules, I just figure out why.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Stephen's_Day
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 10:35 AM   #4
SoonerBent
<><
 
SoonerBent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oklahoma City
Bikes: RANS Tailwind
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One of our local radio stations is playing only Christmas songs right now. They've been playing "My Favorite Things" from the Sound Of Music. Since when does that have anything to do with Christmas?
SoonerBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 10:37 AM   #5
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My detailed research (Wiki) shows that the song Jingle Bells was originally written as a Thanksgiving Song by a priest, but proved to be so popular that it was repeated at the church's Christmas program and soon became coopted as part of the Christmas holidays.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 10:43 AM   #6
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBent View Post
One of our local radio stations is playing only Christmas songs right now. They've been playing "My Favorite Things" from the Sound Of Music. Since when does that have anything to do with Christmas?
Hah... I have THAT answer too!

""When the frost bites." is the connective line from that song.
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 10:45 AM   #7
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
Hah... I have THAT answer too!

""When the frost bites." is the connective line from that song.
And now...another song STOLEN for Christmas.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 10:49 AM   #8
daredevil
cyclepath
 
daredevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: "The Last Best Place"
Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
Posts: 3,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and can someone explain why Jehovah's Witnesses can't sing or play any of these non-Christmas songs?
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 10:50 AM   #9
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Christmas, the black hole created when retailers divide using red ink.
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 10:51 AM   #10
trsidn 
Soggy Member
 
trsidn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
and can someone explain why Jehovah's Witnesses can't sing or play any of these non-Christmas songs?
I could tell you, but I was sworn to secrecy.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio View Post
.... Other than being completely wrong, you're correct.
trsidn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 10:51 AM   #11
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
and can someone explain why Jehovah's Witness can't sing or play any of these non-Christmas songs?
IIRC from my limited involvement, singing is verboten. Nothing should be celebrated for some reason.
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 10:52 AM   #12
trsidn 
Soggy Member
 
trsidn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
IIRC from my limited involvement, singing is verboten. Nothing should be celebrated for some reason.
Obviously, Stacey didn't swear
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio View Post
.... Other than being completely wrong, you're correct.
trsidn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 10:52 AM   #13
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
Christmas, the black hole created when retailers divide using red ink.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 10:52 AM   #14
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,950
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
and can someone explain why Jehovah's Witnesses can't sing or play any of these non-Christmas songs?
Who says they can't if they are non-Christmas songs?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 10:53 AM   #15
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trsidn View Post
Obviously, Stacey didn't swear
They said we couldn't swear. You go to hell if you swear.
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 10:54 AM   #16
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trsidn View Post
Obviously, Stacey didn't swear
Actually she did swear, she called a higher up an arsehole, and was booted out of the JW's!
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 10:55 AM   #17
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jeffffffffffffffff!
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 10:56 AM   #18
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Staceyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 10:58 AM   #19
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
Actually she did swear, she called a higher up an arsehole, and was booted out of the JW's!
I once debated some who came to my door so effectively they asked if they could come back with one of their "elders" to "answer my questions". I told them to go for it, but they never came back.

I gave them more "pamphlets" than they gave me.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 11:02 AM   #20
trsidn 
Soggy Member
 
trsidn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
I once debated some who came to my door so effectively they asked if they could come back with one of their "elders" to "answer my questions". I told them to go for it, but they never came back.

I gave them more "pamphlets" than they gave me.
I answered the door while cleaning a shotgun once. They never came back.

Wait. Those were Mormons. Never mind.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio View Post
.... Other than being completely wrong, you're correct.
trsidn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 11:02 AM   #21
daredevil
cyclepath
 
daredevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: "The Last Best Place"
Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
Posts: 3,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
Who says they can't if they are non-Christmas songs?
I've been around plenty of JW's and they always refuse to play or sing any of these but they can sing and play secular music. Jingle Bells, Frosty etc. seem like secular songs to me.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 11:05 AM   #22
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
I've been around plenty of JW's and they always refuse to play or sing any of these but they can sing and play secular music. Jingle Bells, Frosty etc. seem like secular songs to me.
Surely it has to do with the fact they don't celebrate Christmas (or any other holiday). I used to work with a JW years ago. All I could ever get from him as an explanation to why they don't celebrate holidays was "Jesus never said to celebrate them in the bible".

I naturally responsed with "Jesus didn't tell you to make sure your kids to their homework either, but do you?". He wouldn't take the bait and debate the logic of it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 11:16 AM   #23
daredevil
cyclepath
 
daredevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: "The Last Best Place"
Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
Posts: 3,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What I don't understand is the point brought up in the thread. Do JW's have something against snow? Or snowmen? Or they somehow connect Frosty with Christmas? Or Sleigh Ride. What's wrong with Sleigh Ride?

You're right KT, there appears to be no logic to it.

They can't do patriotic stuff as well.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 11:20 AM   #24
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,950
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
What I don't understand is the point brought up in the thread. Do JW's have something against snow? Or snowmen? Or they somehow connect Frosty with Christmas? Or Sleigh Ride. What's wrong with Sleigh Ride?

You're right KT, there appears to be no logic to it.

They can't do patriotic stuff as well.


WHAT??? I never heard of that!! Why not?

I used to work with a woman who told me that she wouldn't take her 5 year old son out shopping during the Holidays because it was unfair to him. He would feel left out of the festivities. She didn't want him to see all the decorations, the people wearing Santa hats and the general cheer around this time of year. Poor kid. She must have kept him locked in his room.

She also told me that although we work together, she didn't want to be pals outside of work because I wasn't JW. And she was breaking some sort of rule by associating with me.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 11:20 AM   #25
edzo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
incorrect

here are the lyrics to jingle bells
---------
jingle bells
santa smells
robin laid an egg
batmobile lost a wheel
and joker got away
----------

clearly, the santa reference indicates christmas
edzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:19 AM.