Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57
  1. #1
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,062
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Leaving me in stitches...

    Sigh - so I get on a motorcycle and it of course tries to kill me. The gas throttle started to accelerate and I mashed down with my hands (ex - rock climber hands thankfully) and pretty much made it say uncle - if it wasn't for the fact I was going down a very steep hill covered with gravel and rock I would have been fine. I ended up dumping the moto at very low speed.

    I ended up with about 6 stitches. I just got back from the local clinic. Our general manager went ahead to the clinic and made sure I won't be waiting and got all the paperwork done. Then, the clinic called us after about 15 minutes to tell us that they were ready for us so I got to wait in our home (we are only about a kilometer way)

    So, the scrubbed at all the gravel (ouch!) - gave me a shot for a locale (double ouch!) and stitched me up so I wouldn't leave blood everywhere - I had one pretty good bleeder. I was just going to take a good shower and scrub way but I was overridden by the spectators (one of who was my wife)

    The clean up and repair took at least an hour. They did a very good job. Very professional and very thorough - even took my blood pressure (122 / 73).

    Anyway - this competely job, without insurance (I don't bother), including some fancy ointment cost me 23,000 (colones that is) - or about $ 46 USD.

    A little sore but aside from that wondering why it took so long for me to get my first stitches in Costa Rica...

  2. #2
    KombuchaCHIC Shadiyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SLC,UT
    My Bikes
    Santa Cruz Juliana, 2005 Bianchi Pista
    Posts
    496
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad you're ok! It sounds like you took a nasty fall, there! Reading this post also further disgusts me on the US Health Care Empire.

  3. #3
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,062
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well - they didn't give me a bowl of ice cream - perhaps that is why it costs so much up there? (I have icecream in the fridge though... I can handle this, or if I whimper I think my wife will - after all she is the one that make sure I went to the clinic)

  4. #4
    phony collective progress x136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Hoosey
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/user/36663
    Posts
    2,958
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
    So, the scrubbed at all the gravel (ouch!)
    Ah, the iodine and the Brush of Pain.

    Where'd the injuries happen? On your hand? If so, maybe in the future you'll remember the pain involved and put some gloves on.

  5. #5
    KombuchaCHIC Shadiyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SLC,UT
    My Bikes
    Santa Cruz Juliana, 2005 Bianchi Pista
    Posts
    496
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
    Well - they didn't give me a bowl of ice cream - perhaps that is why it costs so much up there? (I have icecream in the fridge though... I can handle this, or if I whimper I think my wife will - after all she is the one that make sure I went to the clinic)
    Isn't that what wives are for, anyway?

  6. #6
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,062
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, I am curious. What would emergency treatment of two wounds (one 4 stitches, the other 2 stitches) with locales and of course extensive cleaning of road rash cost in the USA with insurance?

    By the way - since it was a traffic accident (i.e. a moto) it was actually covered under our, get this, registration and inspection! All I had to do is the next time the INS doctor is in town show up and show off my scars. But, since the amount was so low I couldn't be bothered.

  7. #7
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,062
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by x136 View Post
    Ah, the iodine and the Brush of Pain.

    Where'd the injuries happen? On your hand? If so, maybe in the future you'll remember the pain involved and put some gloves on.
    Nope, shoulder, elbow.

  8. #8
    phony collective progress x136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Hoosey
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/user/36663
    Posts
    2,958
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah. Well, not a lot you can do about that, I suppose. I can't imagine the climate is very cooperative with leather jackets.

  9. #9
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,062
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by x136 View Post
    Ah. Well, not a lot you can do about that, I suppose. I can't imagine the climate is very cooperative with leather jackets.
    Not unless you want heat stroke.

    There is something I can do - I think I switch to four wheel drive ATV. Just as good on the roads but more stable... that or a horse.

    Sigh.

  10. #10
    Wood Licker Maelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Whistler,BC
    My Bikes
    Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
    Posts
    16,889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think an ATV would be more fun ...tough decisions eh haha

  11. #11
    Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP) Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TTIUWOP

  12. #12
    Why not? EthanYQX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Canada
    My Bikes
    Giant STP 2
    Posts
    808
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    I think an ATV would be more fun ...tough decisions eh haha
    ATV more fun than a bike? No. Not at all.
    "It is not the critic who counts."

  13. #13
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
    By the way, I am curious. What would emergency treatment of two wounds (one 4 stitches, the other 2 stitches) with locales and of course extensive cleaning of road rash cost in the USA with insurance?

    By the way - since it was a traffic accident (i.e. a moto) it was actually covered under our, get this, registration and inspection! All I had to do is the next time the INS doctor is in town show up and show off my scars. But, since the amount was so low I couldn't be bothered.
    Wrong question to ask....it should actually be How much does and emergency room visit to treat similar wounds costs in relation to the average income.
    But then again, we'd be infringing on P&R if we go down that road.
    Hey, btw, glad you weren't hurt more than you were...stay safe doing that kind of stuff, will ya?

  14. #14
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,062
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True enoug - it would be compared to the salary - but then that wouldn't work since this country has a very good health system and all workers are covered.

    But, normally you can figure salaries at about 1/4 of those up there. So, would emergency room treatment be 200 dollars up there for my boo-boo?

  15. #15
    Wood Licker Maelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Whistler,BC
    My Bikes
    Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
    Posts
    16,889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankshaftYQX View Post
    ATV more fun than a bike? No. Not at all.
    I was thinking to horse

  16. #16
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,062
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes - I just did a quick search http://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=218375

    1,300 dollars for stitches! Hand me that thread and needle I'll do it myself... Let's see, what would look better, the white color or the black - perhaps red would be more esthetic...

  17. #17
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,034
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    i would have used duct tape and you would not have gotten the local. just saying.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  18. #18
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,062
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    i would have used duct tape and you would not have gotten the local. just saying.
    It was a thought - and we could always use the power washer to clean it. I mean, it will sting for just a little while... So much fuss over a little blood...

    The only issue is that I couldn't see the wounds - so of course I couldn't say "Hey, it is just a flesh wound - it will heal with just a little cleaning and air..." Nope, I was overridden. I am going to have to talk to Nelson, he sided with the women.

    After all, I already look like Herman Munster to everyone - what is another scar or two?

  19. #19
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,062
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
    TTIUWOP
    Do I want to know what that is?

  20. #20
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,034
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
    Do I want to know what that is?
    this thread is useless with out pics. the wound must have been to your good eye.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  21. #21
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,062
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No pics are possible - all is wrapped up in gauze.

  22. #22
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,034
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    why did you wrap the pics in qauze?
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  23. #23
    Wood Licker Maelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Whistler,BC
    My Bikes
    Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
    Posts
    16,889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
    Yikes - I just did a quick search http://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=218375

    1,300 dollars for stitches! Hand me that thread and needle I'll do it myself... Let's see, what would look better, the white color or the black - perhaps red would be more esthetic...
    Wowsers, I would do it myself too, its not like its difficult...well not to touch on politics. But it would have been free here, 1 hour wait tops and we make "close" to what americans do. Of course our net is less, but thems the breaks hahaha

  24. #24
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,062
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah - it isn't that hard. I bet the stitches aren't evenly spaced or anything. I bet my wife who knows how to sew could do better...

    Serious question - why is it the shot for the locale hurts more than probably letting them do their business without it? I just don't get it. Stick the needle in and wiggle around for a while - sheesh. Well, at least I didn't break the examining bed - this time. I did break a dentist chair once when I had a root canal without novacaine... Crazy dentist said you couldn't kill the pain in a canine - I think he just like making people suffer.

  25. #25
    Wood Licker Maelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Whistler,BC
    My Bikes
    Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
    Posts
    16,889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
    Yeah - it isn't that hard. I bet the stitches aren't evenly spaced or anything. I bet my wife who knows how to sew could do better...

    Serious question - why is it the shot for the locale hurts more than probably letting them do their business without it? I just don't get it. Stick the needle in and wiggle around for a while - sheesh. Well, at least I didn't break the examining bed - this time. I did break a dentist chair once when I had a root canal without novacaine... Crazy dentist said you couldn't kill the pain in a canine - I think he just like making people suffer.
    holy crap must have been deep, I don't think I have ever gotten a local for stiches unless I had the sub-dermal (I think that is what they called it) which hurt like a *****.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •