well, not really. i didn't realize how bad it was (though very small - slightly less than 1/4" in any direction), although perhaps the fact it stopped hurting almost immediately should have been a clue.
that, and i'm getting a little tired of welding over my head.
what am i doing, you may ask?
i'm rebuilding a 1967 Jaguar 420G that needs a huge amount of structural repair. because i'm afraid my Honda is going to fall apart on me while going down the road - the doors flap as i drive down the interstate. seriously.
so i thought some of the gearheads here ('cause i know there's a few) might like to see some pictures...
first step, i had to get the engine out. it was locked up (even though the car has covered less than 18k miles in 40 years), and i knew it needed triage before i got too deep in the project.
here i am, losing my mind trying to connect the engine leveler:
once it was connected, it was almost like i knew what i was doing. almost.
so, got the engine out and torn down. found it was in really good shape, considering. the head gasket had rotted and allowed the cylinders to fill with water. by the time i had the head and pan off, i'd broken the frozen rings loose. bearings look new (no surprise, given the low mileage). i've even found pencil-written notes on parts from the original engine build 40 years ago! the engine will be upgraded slightly when rebuilt (i'm adding things like valve stem seals and late-model camshafts).
but before i build the engine, i need somewhere to put it. so i had to start body repairs.
these cars are monocoques, which mean that they don't have a separate frame: there's a stub frame (which had mostly rotted away on this car), and the outer sills form a structural box (which had also rotted out). and the floor pans are fubar as well. adding insult to injury, none of the sheet metal is available, so i have to fabricate everything...
look! see-through floor pan:
you can't see it in that shot, but the outer side and rear edge of the pan are gone. since the pan is a structural element with the sill and subframe, this is a big problem...
new frame rail and outrigger i built under the driver's side (this is how i managed to burn myself):
some of the scary rot i've got to fix on the rear:
and yes, that's where the rear trailing arm attaches...
but it'll be a fun (and pretty) ride when i'm done:
still got the original plates, too:
just wanted to share...
(and ***** about the burn, too...)