Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 59
  1. #1
    Chasing Dreams
    Guest

    Life Lessons You Have Learned from Your Life

    [1] You can only trust yourself. Everyone else is either a temporary friend or is an enemy.

    [2] I am inherently lazy.

    [3] Everyone gets fat.

    [4] School is for losers. Hear this kids? Skip college / university and go get a job. You are just wasting your time.

    [5] Why the hell is figuring out your taxes AND paying your taxes so difficult? I mean, there is a GST, HST, income tax, CPP, EI, property, car registration, inheritance, import, credit allowance, depreciation, workers compensation, etc. Why do you have to screw me so many times? I'm only one man. I shouldn't need to hire another man to calculate how much money I owe.

    [6] Everyone gets ugly.

  2. #2
    phony collective progress x136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Hoosey
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/user/36663
    Posts
    2,958
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Dreams View Post
    [6] Everyone gets ugly.
    Pfft, speak for yourself there, bub.

    Some of us were born ugly.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Ted Danson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    K-town Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Jamis Full Suspension, Some 10 year old roadie that I made beautiful :)
    Posts
    374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Dreams View Post
    [4] School is for losers. Hear this kids? Skip college / university and go get a job. You are just wasting your time.

    why have i been taught from my peers, elders, teachers, and parents since kindergarden the exact opposite of that statement?
    Merton Enthusiast

  4. #4
    Descends Like Avalanche HigherGround's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Somewhere between Funkytown and Margaritaville, PA
    My Bikes
    Lynskey R330, Litespeed Classic, Eddy Merckx MX Leader, Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)
    Posts
    5,740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does belief #4 manifest itself in belief #5?
    The rider in my avatar is David Etxebarria, not me.

  5. #5
    Chasing Dreams
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by XC Froot Loops View Post
    why have i been taught from my peers, elders, teachers, and parents since kindergarden the exact opposite of that statement?
    They want to break your spirit by making you go through college / university. High schoolers are too unpredictable. Society needs people that are so jaded and complacent that they will take whatever role is given to them. Sorta like communism in disguise.

    From a guy that has taken high level academic courses throughout high school and is just a few months from being done with university, I can truly say that my life has been a waste of time. Why the hell did I take all these courses? I didn't learn a damn useful thing and I have paid close to $40,000 for this "privilege". I really wished I had skipped all this academia and taken car mechanics, welding, accounting, web page development, computer programming, etc.

    I have regret for choosing this path in life because it is not really all that enjoyable and there isn't really freedom and choice. I started preparing for university the first day I got to high school by taking all those high level academic courses and that has continued to this day. You really paint yourself into a corner because you sacrifice so much time and effort. You can't stop once you stop or you will have wasted half of your life.

  6. #6
    Senior Member permanentjaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,714
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say school can be for losers, but education of some sort is important. If you skip school and all other types of education then you're an idiot. I think I would have been perfectly happy skipping college, taking some welding classes, and building things all day long.

  7. #7
    Chasing Dreams
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HigherGround View Post
    Does belief #4 manifest itself in belief #5?
    No, belief #5 is independent of #4. I just think that it is so damn illogical to have so many different taxes for the average citizen that you truly need an accountant to keep track of all your taxes. Why are we wasting so much effort by having these numerous tax collections. There is whole damn multi-billion dollar industry that just deals with taxes and it adds zip to the productivity of the economy. If you are going to screw me, just screw me with one big tax once a year so I don't have to have an accountant on speed dial.

  8. #8
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    25,950
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So what I am reading here is that you are not happy with your life and chosen path and perhaps think that you are both fat and ugly.

    And that taxes make you crazy.

    You can change all those things except for the taxes... like death, they're inevitable.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    My Bikes
    Basso, Tommaso, Ibex, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek
    Posts
    1,930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally speaking, we humans are the most insidious, diabolical, ignorant, wasteful, greedy dots on earth.

    Which is why I disagree with OP's statement of education being useless. It is not, and opens the door to creativeness and mind expansion to understand.

    Individuality is lost among the masses.

  10. #10
    Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP) Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XC Froot Loops View Post
    why have i been taught from my peers, elders, teachers, and parents since kindergarden the exact opposite of that statement?
    This about sums it up.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njG7p6CSbCU

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Flatland NC
    My Bikes
    Cervelo P2C, 1982 Univega, Moto Messenger
    Posts
    253
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Dreams View Post
    I didn't learn a damn useful thing and I have paid close to $40,000 for this "privilege". I really wished I had skipped all this academia and taken car mechanics, welding, accounting, web page development, computer programming, etc.
    You get from education exactly what you put into it. If you approached it as if you were a vessel to be filled, well, you have no one to blame but yourself. Higher ed taught me to think critically and enjoy art, literature, and music.

    YMMV.

  12. #12
    Prefers Cicero cooker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1984 Trek 520; 1990s Peugeot (Canadian-made) rigid mountain bike; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others
    Posts
    8,436
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Dreams View Post
    From a guy that has taken high level academic courses throughout high school and is just a few months from being done with university
    So you're giving sketchy advice you haven't taken yourself?

    There is no doubt that education is generally correlated with income. There are obviously some people who succeed without it and a few MBAs serving fries, but most people are going to earn more money and have an easier time getting work with a high school diploma than without, with a BA than without, with a PhD than without.

  13. #13
    Spelling Snob Hobartlemagne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    My Bikes
    Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista
    Posts
    2,863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Dreams View Post
    They want to break your spirit by making you go through college / university. High schoolers are too unpredictable. Society needs people that are so jaded and complacent that they will take whatever role is given to them. Sorta like communism in disguise.

    From a guy that has taken high level academic courses throughout high school and is just a few months from being done with university, I can truly say that my life has been a waste of time. Why the hell did I take all these courses? I didn't learn a damn useful thing and I have paid close to $40,000 for this "privilege". I really wished I had skipped all this academia and taken car mechanics, welding, accounting, web page development, computer programming, etc.

    I have regret for choosing this path in life because it is not really all that enjoyable and there isn't really freedom and choice. I started preparing for university the first day I got to high school by taking all those high level academic courses and that has continued to this day. You really paint yourself into a corner because you sacrifice so much time and effort. You can't stop once you stop or you will have wasted half of your life.
    Some higher education is to prepare students, some is to filter out the stupid undisciplined ones.
    The fact that you made it through is still going to give you rewards in the future.

    The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!

  14. #14
    your nightmare gal chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Cracker Factory
    Posts
    24,353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Dreams View Post
    From a guy that has taken high level academic courses throughout high school and is just a few months from being done with university, I can truly say that my life has been a waste of time.
    Dude, you ain't even really started life yet...it's way to early to have a clue what will be valuable down the road...let alone to write off anything as wasted. If you feel that what you are doing now isn't the direction you want to go, fine, finish it up and move on to something else - you got plenty of time to do whatever the frack you want to do...and this time you've spent isn't wasted time...it's just experience (not to mention knowledge) - the building blocks that transform you from who you are today into who you will be tomorrow.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  15. #15
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,083
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Pain Hurts

    People are going to laugh at me, and not in a nice way

    Beer is Good
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  16. #16
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,628
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait! You mean I'm supposed to learn something?
    Uh oh!

  17. #17
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    Pain Hurts

    People are going to laugh at me, and not in a nice way


    Beer is Good
    good point. on that note, i'm going to go open one up.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Lamplight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    2,722
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've learned that people often go to college to get a better job, not to gain knowledge (at least now).

    I've learned that a want becomes a need once you can afford it.

  19. #19
    Wood Licker Maelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Whistler,BC
    My Bikes
    Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
    Posts
    16,888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Dreams View Post
    [1] You can only trust yourself. Everyone else is either a temporary friend or is an enemy.
    Wow I am sorry. I don't find this at all.

    [4] School is for losers. Hear this kids? Skip college / university and go get a job. You are just wasting your time.
    Ironically, I don't entirely disagree. I would say it isn't for everyone more than it is for losers. It definitely wasn't for me.

    [5] Why the hell is figuring out your taxes AND paying your taxes so difficult? I mean, there is a GST, HST, income tax, CPP, EI, property, car registration, inheritance, import, credit allowance, depreciation, workers compensation, etc. Why do you have to screw me so many times? I'm only one man. I shouldn't need to hire another man to calculate how much money I owe.
    My bigger question is, why the **** do I have to take the time to do taxes when every time I do it comes back re-adjusted by the gov't. Seriously, if they already know, just send me the bill instead of wasting my life.

  20. #20
    Wood Licker Maelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Whistler,BC
    My Bikes
    Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
    Posts
    16,888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
    I've learned that people often go to college to get a better job, not to gain knowledge (at least now).

    I've learned that a want becomes a need once you can afford it.
    ooo thats a good one...

    I have learned, I can't remember stuff if I don't care. This can really have an impact on my relationships with people when I can't remember their names

  21. #21
    Queen of France Indolent58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    Look 565, Trek 2120
    Posts
    3,806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Dreams View Post
    [1] You can only trust yourself. Everyone else is either a temporary friend or is an enemy.

    [2] I am inherently lazy.

    [3] Everyone gets fat.

    [4] School is for losers. Hear this kids? Skip college / university and go get a job. You are just wasting your time.

    [5] Why the hell is figuring out your taxes AND paying your taxes so difficult? I mean, there is a GST, HST, income tax, CPP, EI, property, car registration, inheritance, import, credit allowance, depreciation, workers compensation, etc. Why do you have to screw me so many times? I'm only one man. I shouldn't need to hire another man to calculate how much money I owe.

    [6] Everyone gets ugly.
    I prefer to learn life lessons from other peoples lives.

    For example: Nobody likes a whiner.

  22. #22
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,067
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Education is totally worthless. But actually learning something is invaluable. An Education becomes very valuable if you learn something worth learning.

  23. #23
    Warrior Cyclist cycle17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Davis, CA
    My Bikes
    07 Madone SL, 06 Madone 5.5 & 04 5500
    Posts
    1,548
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many lessons I've learned so far from life/the world. Far too many to write out here.

    One thing I've tried very hard to live by is to always be an honest and sincere person. This has helped me far more times than it has hindered me. I'm also a giving person, but I've had to learn over the years how to tell if someone sees my kindness as a weakness. Now I know how to tell the difference, but it wasn't always like that though.
    Just Do It..

  24. #24
    Descends Like Avalanche HigherGround's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Somewhere between Funkytown and Margaritaville, PA
    My Bikes
    Lynskey R330, Litespeed Classic, Eddy Merckx MX Leader, Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)
    Posts
    5,740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Dreams View Post
    No, belief #5 is independent of #4. I just think that it is so damn illogical to have so many different taxes for the average citizen that you truly need an accountant to keep track of all your taxes. Why are we wasting so much effort by having these numerous tax collections. There is whole damn multi-billion dollar industry that just deals with taxes and it adds zip to the productivity of the economy. If you are going to screw me, just screw me with one big tax once a year so I don't have to have an accountant on speed dial.
    I was referring to the ability to do math.

    In all seriousness though, I do partially agree with you. (Did Hell just freeze over?) The tax codes are so complicated and overbearing. I think that once they figure out a way to put meters over our mouthes and noses, the air will be taxed as well.
    The rider in my avatar is David Etxebarria, not me.

  25. #25
    Your imaginary friend. fuzzbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wandering aimlessly.
    My Bikes
    A sweet Quamen ATL custom, GT Mach 2
    Posts
    2,209
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firworks are bad.

    Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •