Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-08, 12:53 PM   #1
Otto Rax
Amazing, but true...
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HELP! Computer people I need help

I got a new laptop about 2 years ago when my desktop was so slow and packed full of stuff it wasn't logical to expect it to hold out. And I guess it didn't, I recently turned it on to get all my old photos off of there (5 years of my under grad life are on there!) and It seems to run fine, but if I plug it into a monitor, and turn the monitor on, the monitor shows nothing. I assked someone with mroe computer knowledge than me about it. They said it was my video card (wtf that is, i dont know) Now aside from my parents who have a computer but don't even know how to turn it on, no one knows less than me about them. I called best buy (i guess i assumed they'd know something about computers) and over the phone they said for $99 they could get my stuff out of the memory and put it on a disk. I don't see why there isn't a way (and again, don't flame or hate on me, i just have a real life outside of cyberwebdomgeeknicity, and never concerned myself with the intricate working of my solitaire and email machine) to plug something into something and get my stuff out. If this rambling makes sense, please help me. let me give those of you who like it simple an abbreviated question:

Can I pull out my old memory and plug it into a device to convert it to a disk? The winner of assisting me gets something. I don't know what though, but we'll come up with a prize
Otto Rax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 01:07 PM   #2
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Short answer, yes.

Tho' if you don't know what a video card is odd's are the process will be over your head. Is ther a small mom&pop computer shop near you? Usually you'll find they have a box full of take-off cards from scrapped units.

We would get about $50-75 to install the card and necessary drivers in someone's machine.

Good luck with it.
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 01:07 PM   #3
Chasing Dreams
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Rax View Post
Can I pull out my old memory and plug it into a device to convert it to a disk? The winner of assisting me gets something. I don't know what though, but we'll come up with a prize
External hard drive enclosure. Unscrew your computer case. Unscrew the hard drive. Pull out the cables going to the hard drive and plug it into the external enclosure. The external enclosure plugs into another computer using USB. What do I win? Oh, and I break thumbs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 01:09 PM   #4
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dude, you lost OP at 'Unscrew your computer case'.
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 01:23 PM   #5
Otto Rax
Amazing, but true...
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stacey is right, I don't see any screws on the case. It's a ~2002 dell....Do i unscrew the whole back chrome panel? everything else is screwed into it too.
Otto Rax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 01:28 PM   #6
stevesurf
another cat...FAB!
 
stevesurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 1st star to the right...
Bikes: Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike
Posts: 1,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sounds like use of external hdd is the best solution as stated...why not post your location and offer the BFer a free tire for a house call?
__________________
9
stevesurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 01:34 PM   #7
biker128pedal
Senior Member
 
biker128pedal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern VA
Bikes: Madone 5.0, Old Trek 412, Shogun 1500, Diamondback Topanga frame (Warranty replacement of broken Raleigh)
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If it is a Dell Computer to see the information on an external monitor you have to hold the key with the blue "Fn" and press the F8 key marked with the CRT/LCD in blue. Every time you do this it will scroll: first to just the external monitor, then both the laptop monitor and the external monitor, and finally back to just the laptop monitor.

It should have a USB port or a CD burner. Copy your files to mulitle CD-Rs or get an external storage device.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136059

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...B-Flash-Drives

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...-CD-DVD-Drives
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 01:41 PM   #8
Chasing Dreams
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Rax View Post
Stacey is right, I don't see any screws on the case. It's a ~2002 dell....Do i unscrew the whole back chrome panel? everything else is screwed into it too.
Oh, you are one of THOSE people.

Lucky for you, I have two Dells from approx. 2002.

I assume that you have the type of computer that is meant to lay down flat. Place the computer on a table like it would normally be. Make sure you have unplugged all the cables, especially the power one.

With the front of the computer facing you, place your hands on the side of it. There are two triangular shaped tabs on the side of the computer. Push both of these inwards and HOLD them DOWN with your hands. Then, push down a little bit and slide the computer case backwards. You should now have the case open.

I hope you know what a hard drive looks like because the configuration of the innards can be different depending on the model. But since you don't want to keep this computer anyways, just unplug everything that looks like a hard drive to you until you get lucky. You won't damage the hard drive by just unplugging components. The hard drive will have two cables running to it, one data and one power. Just pull them straight outwards.

You should see some bright green tabs and levers inside the computer. Push and pull on these to dismantle the components. Bring the hard drive to your local computer outlet, ask for the cheapest external hard drive enclosure, show some thigh, and ask how to use it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 01:46 PM   #9
Chasing Dreams
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
If it is a Dell Computer to see the information on an external monitor you have to hold the key with the blue "Fn" and press the F8 key marked with the CRT/LCD in blue. Every time you do this it will scroll: first to just the external monitor, then both the laptop monitor and the external monitor, and finally back to just the laptop monitor.
I don't think that would work if the video card is truly busted since you still need output from the video card. Also, wouldn't the bios default back to external monitor after a reboot? Keep in mind this is a desktop computer and not a laptop.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 01:48 PM   #10
Chasing Dreams
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesurf View Post
sounds like use of external hdd is the best solution as stated...why not post your location and offer the BFer a free tire for a house call?
I require first class round-trip airfare, a limo to pick me up and drop me off, a 5-star hotel, dinner at the fanciest French restaurant in town, and $30 for parts.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 01:54 PM   #11
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, for a cuppa and a slice, I'd go over if OP was local.
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 02:34 PM   #12
TekN0logy
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Otto, stop! Wait. Call a friend over that is into cyberwebdomgeeknicity... Seriously, I know a lot of Dell PC shipped with an integrated video card and a AGP type video card also. You might not have to perform surgery yet...

Couple of things that could have happened:
If you do not have an integrated video card, then the one installed may have become unseated.
You can just open up the case and push down on the video card to reseat it.

Bios settings have become corrupt. Does the PC beep? Does the power indicator light on the front of the PC turn on?
Does the power indicator light on the monitor turn on? Does it change color after turning on?
Usually if the video card has gone bad and does not initialize, the PC may not finish booting.
Aside from all the noises the PC makes, how do you know it is working?
Most monitors will display something when powered up and will display a warning if the cable connecting the video card is disconnected.

Try this; power on holding down these keys (one at a time)
F12
F2
Insert
Delete

Dell's usually have a quick release of some sort to open the case, I dont think there should be any unscrewing except for the hard drive rails. Check for a spring loaded latch on the back if it is a tower type case otherwise if it is a tabletop case check for two opposing buttons.

Also, keep in mind that everything you do, the power cord should be unplugged. All of the dangerous voltages are safely contained inside of the power supply, however most PC components dont like being hot plugged.

BTW,
Installing a video card is a whole lot simpler than removing the hard drive and installing it into an external case. The video card usually has one screw and pulls straight out. Try here if interested: http://www.tigerdirect.com/include/A...1&imgcounter=1
TekN0logy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 04:07 PM   #13
Otto Rax
Amazing, but true...
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone in or around Greensboro NC, please help me

I'll turn on the computer, and it seems to be fine, no weird noises or anything. When I turn on the monitor, the monitor lgith comes on green, then turns orange in about 5 seconds and nothing will happen to the monitor
Otto Rax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 05:35 PM   #14
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you have another monitor you can plug in? Ot, can you test the monitor you have on your laptop?

It's starting to sound like the monitor went toe's up.
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 06:27 PM   #15
Alphonso
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Bikes: 2003 Trek 2000
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
Do you have another monitor you can plug in? Ot, can you test the monitor you have on your laptop?

It's starting to sound like the monitor went toe's up.

This first sensible answer I have seen.
Alphonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 06:39 PM   #16
Alphonso
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Bikes: 2003 Trek 2000
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Rax View Post
I got a new laptop about 2 years ago when my desktop was so slow and packed full of stuff it wasn't logical to expect it to hold out. And I guess it didn't, I recently turned it on to get all my old photos off of there (5 years of my under grad life are on there!) and It seems to run fine, but if I plug it into a monitor, and turn the monitor on, the monitor shows nothing. I assked someone with mroe computer knowledge than me about it. They said it was my video card (wtf that is, i dont know) Now aside from my parents who have a computer but don't even know how to turn it on, no one knows less than me about them. I called best buy (i guess i assumed they'd know something about computers) and over the phone they said for $99 they could get my stuff out of the memory and put it on a disk. I don't see why there isn't a way (and again, don't flame or hate on me, i just have a real life outside of cyberwebdomgeeknicity, and never concerned myself with the intricate working of my solitaire and email machine) to plug something into something and get my stuff out. If this rambling makes sense, please help me. let me give those of you who like it simple an abbreviated question:

Can I pull out my old memory and plug it into a device to convert it to a disk? The winner of assisting me gets something. I don't know what though, but we'll come up with a prize

#1 You can not get your pictures off the memory. The info is on the hard drive.

#2 Don't call best buy with a computer issue. They can't diagnose the problem over the phone.

Pulling out the hard drive to get the info off is not that easy. Get someone who knows what they doing to do it for you.

That being said, as I stated earlier in agreeing with Stacey, test the monitor. Plug it into another desktop or into the laptop...MAKE SURE YOU ADJUST THE SETTINGS TO SEND VIDEO TO THE MONITOR. If you fail to make the changes a brand new monitor will not work on the laptop. If the monitor works, it is the video card, which is easily replaced.

Good luck
Alphonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 07:12 PM   #17
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonso View Post
This first sensible answer I have seen.
Esqueeze me? All of my replys have been sensible.
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 08:31 PM   #18
deraltekluge
Senior Member
 
deraltekluge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX
Posts: 1,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Rax View Post
Stacey is right, I don't see any screws on the case. It's a ~2002 dell....Do i unscrew the whole back chrome panel? everything else is screwed into it too.
No. I don't recall the details, and I don't know where my owner's manual is at the moment, but I recall instructions for opening up my Dell of that vintage (a Dimension 8200), and the procedure did NOT involve undoing screws!

The pictures (and any other data files) are NOT in the computer's memory...they're on the disc (the HD).
deraltekluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:17 AM.