Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-08, 10:39 PM   #1
madbiker555
close to 2000
Thread Starter
 
madbiker555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: ontario, canada
Bikes: 05 Brodie Diablo - 06 Norco 416
Posts: 1,856
manual vs. electric shaving

Well Im tired of getting lots of cuts on the area above my top lip every morning with my manual razor, so what are your opinions on an electric razor for this?
madbiker555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 11:04 PM   #2
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Learn to shave...seriously...as a older dude with baby skin maybe someone needs to show you how to shave. Or better yet when do. For sensitive skin it is all about timing.

electric shaving just doesn't create that smooth feeling
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 11:10 PM   #3
Allen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 4,753
Some of the greatest technological advancements in the last forty years have been in the improvement of razor blades.
Buy one of the high dollar multi blade kind and never look back.

Electric razors are a poor second to real razors.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 11:25 PM   #4
overthehillmedi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Nanaimo.B.C. The We't coast of Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 1,287
Grow a 'stash.Problem cured.
overthehillmedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 11:42 PM   #5
twahl
Tom (ex)Builder
 
twahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Manassas, VA
Bikes: Specialized Allez
Posts: 2,814
I was a triple blade guy for a long damn time, and suffered for years from tore up skin and ingrown hairs. I finally bought an electric a couple of years ago. It doesn't shave as close, and that suits me just fine. I still suffer bad if I have to shave on consecutive days, but every couple of days I'm OK. I'm fourtunate to have that luxury, unlike when I was in the military.
__________________
Tom

"It hurts so good..."
twahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 12:06 AM   #6
iamlucky13
Footballus vita est
 
iamlucky13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Trek 4500, Kona Dawg
Posts: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenG View Post
Some of the greatest technological advancements in the last forty years have been in the improvement of razor blades.
Buy one of the high dollar multi blade kind and never look back.
So true. I decided to try an experiment and see if there really was any difference between the cheap razors and the more expensive ones. Let's just say I bled a lot. All in the name of science.

But I'm not sure the super-hyped 4 and 5 blade cartridges are any better than the nicer 3 blade disposables. I certainly don't believe it took Gillette 7 years to figure out how to make a razor with two extra blades, as they claim in their commercials...

On a slight tangent, does anyone here shave with a straight razor?
__________________
"The internet is a place where absolutely nothing happens. You need to take advantage of that." ~ Strong Bad
iamlucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 12:13 AM   #7
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,121
I shave with a Straight Razor. It requires care, and a lot of care of the blade as well (Sharpening and Stropping, and if you get the bevel wrong, you've just screwed up an expensive carbon steel straight razor ). If you cut yourself with a safety razor, I really don't recommend you use a straight.
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 12:20 AM   #8
jschen
riding once again
 
jschen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez
Posts: 7,359
I switched from an electric razor to a manual safety razor when I started shaving my legs and haven't looked back. It's oh so smooth compared to the results of an electric razor.
__________________
If you notice this notice then you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
jschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 12:27 AM   #9
mrbubbles
?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 2,776
As an Asian, I don't have much to shave. Electric it is. It takes 5 seconds to shave my entire face with electric.

For legs, only razor.
mrbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 12:30 AM   #10
madbiker555
close to 2000
Thread Starter
 
madbiker555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: ontario, canada
Bikes: 05 Brodie Diablo - 06 Norco 416
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenG View Post
Some of the greatest technological advancements in the last forty years have been in the improvement of razor blades.
Buy one of the high dollar multi blade kind and never look back.
I have one of those gilette fusion 5 blade ones, and a two blade one, The two blade seems to do a better job most of the time :s. And on a side note, I think the fusion just looks stupid, too many blades.
madbiker555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 01:01 AM   #11
gbcb
J3L 2404
 
gbcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Shanghai
Bikes: 2007 Jamis Nova
Posts: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlucky13 View Post
I certainly don't believe it took Gillette 7 years to figure out how to make a razor with two extra blades, as they claim in their commercials...
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33930

__________________
gbcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 02:04 AM   #12
CdCf
Videre non videri
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Bikes: 1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike
Posts: 3,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
I shave with a Straight Razor. It requires care, and a lot of care of the blade as well (Sharpening and Stropping, and if you get the bevel wrong, you've just screwed up an expensive carbon steel straight razor ). If you cut yourself with a safety razor, I really don't recommend you use a straight.
Is this a joke? You mean you shave? Where are we talking about exactly?

I shave both using a modern, multi-bladed razor and also an electric shaver. Regardless of method used, I look like this afterwards:


Because of this, I don't shave all the way down that often, but instead just use a trimmer to take it down to about 0.5 mm. I look like I shaved the night before, and that's pretty good for me. My skin isn't damaged at all by the trimmer.
CdCf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 02:11 AM   #13
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
I use an electric, only for convenience. It does not shave nearly as close. If I'm going somewhere I want a better shave, I use my Gillette Fusion.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 02:11 AM   #14
glenng
Master Surfer of Curbs
 
glenng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 70%PIT 30% Blue Yonder
Bikes: Whats it to ya?
Posts: 138
Shaving in the shower helps. Shave last, the warm water softens the hair and cuts easier resulting in less shaved skin. I like the 5 blade razors even though I thought it was all hype in the beginning. Gillette sent me a free 5 blade razor and it worked so well for me that I started buying the product. Use shaving cream it helps too.

Shave everyday or more for thick beards, every other day for thin beards. If you lett it grow a week and then shave your asking for trouble.
glenng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 02:18 AM   #15
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenng View Post
Shaving in the shower helps. Shave last, the warm water softens the hair and cuts easier resulting in less shaved skin. I like the 5 blade razors even though I thought it was all hype in the beginning. Gillette sent me a free 5 blade razor and it worked so well for me that I started buying the product. Use shaving cream it helps too.

Shave everyday or more for thick beards, every other day for thin beards. If you lett it grow a week and then shave your asking for trouble.
That sounds like the Fusion. I got it the same way...just came free in the mail one day. It's a good razor.

Some good points.

I have VERY SENSITIVE skin for shaving too. The tips I've learned over the years (some may or may not be needed).
1) I don't shave "in" the shower, but I do wet my face with hot water to soften the skin first.
2) I put a little soap on my face to slick it up before the shaving cream.
3) I use the sensitive skin shaving cream
4) I shave down (with hair direction), not up (against hair direction).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 02:37 AM   #16
CdCf
Videre non videri
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Bikes: 1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike
Posts: 3,208
I shave in the shower, after everything else is take care of. I use a "sensitive skin" shaving cream. But shaving with the hairs is impossible. Nothing happens. I'm not kidding - I could go over the same area fifty times, and it'd still be there. Only going against the "grain" gets the job done for me.
CdCf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 07:23 AM   #17
Ex Pres
#39
 
Ex Pres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: the 35223 (AL)
Bikes:
Posts: 6,222
Warm your shaving cream in the shower, or if you'd rather do the sink, let the shaving cream sit in a sinkful of hot water while you shower.
Ex Pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 07:41 AM   #18
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdCf View Post
Is this a joke? You mean you shave? Where are we talking about exactly?

I shave both using a modern, multi-bladed razor and also an electric shaver.
Regardless of method used, I look like this afterwards:


Because of this, I don't shave all the way down that often, but instead just use a trimmer to take it down to about 0.5 mm. I look like I shaved the night before, and that's pretty good for me. My skin isn't damaged at all by the trimmer.
thanks man. just what i was hoping to see in this thread.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 07:55 AM   #19
edzo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,564
I use Fusion on the legs, it ended nicks 100%

a 3 blade on the face. hot sponge face soak first, gel second, ice cold razor for shaving

rinsing the blade in the coldest water you have makes for the sharpest shave possible

Last edited by edzo; 01-20-08 at 08:39 AM.
edzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 08:02 AM   #20
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
I shave with a Straight Razor. It requires care, and a lot of care of the blade as well (Sharpening and Stropping, and if you get the bevel wrong, you've just screwed up an expensive carbon steel straight razor ). If you cut yourself with a safety razor, I really don't recommend you use a straight.
you missed a few spots...

botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 09:09 AM   #21
gbcb
J3L 2404
 
gbcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Shanghai
Bikes: 2007 Jamis Nova
Posts: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by edzo View Post
I use Fusion on the legs, it ended nicks 100%

a 3 blade on the face. hot sponge face soak first, gel second, ice cold razor for shaving

rinsing the blade in the coldest water you have makes for the sharpest shave possible
Cold water? I thought it was supposed to be as hot as possible. What's the reasoning behind a cold razor?
__________________
gbcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 09:16 AM   #22
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcb View Post
Cold water? I thought it was supposed to be as hot as possible. What's the reasoning behind a cold razor?
hot for the face, cold for the rinsing of the razor.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 09:21 AM   #23
gbcb
J3L 2404
 
gbcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Shanghai
Bikes: 2007 Jamis Nova
Posts: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by botto View Post
hot for the face, cold for the rinsing of the razor.
Sure, I understand that... but I had always thought it was hot for face and razor. Why do you want a cold razor?
__________________
gbcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 09:25 AM   #24
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcb View Post
Sure, I understand that... but I had always thought it was hot for face and razor. Why do you want a cold razor?
so the hair won't clog the razor.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 09:26 AM   #25
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars
 
TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
Posts: 10,527
I'll take a nice hot face cloth or hand towel and wrap my face first, especially around my neck. Sensitive skin cream and a Gillette Sensor. Shaving down a bit at a time. (will have to try the cold for rinsing) Cold water on face afterwards, and a aftershave gel I got for christmas. I can't shave everyday or my skin will look like the above no matter what I do. I tried electrics but ... well, they sucked.
TRaffic Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:31 PM.