Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

View Poll Results: What kind of watch do you prefer?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Analog

    35 63.64%
  • Digital

    8 14.55%
  • Analog + Digital

    12 21.82%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 71
  1. #1
    Body By Nintendo Psydotek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.
    Posts
    3,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Analog or Digital? What kind of watch do you prefer?

    So i'm looking at getting a new watch. I've currently got a Casio G-Shock MTG520 which is analog+digital which has served me well for almost 5 years without a battery replacement but the springbars/pins are starting to wear out and i'm pretty sure the water resistant seal is starting to degrade (i get condensation on the inside of the faceplate when i'm out riding in the cold). However right now i'm torn between analog+digital or going back to an all digital watch...

    (and yes, it needs to be a G-Shock since i'm pretty hard on my watches)
    Last edited by Psydotek; 01-25-08 at 09:00 AM.

    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.

  2. #2
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is analong?
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  3. #3
    Body By Nintendo Psydotek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.
    Posts
    3,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoops, my bad... My fingers are typing faster than my brain can think...

    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.

  4. #4
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,113
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    l"ook at the display on my cell phone in lieu of wearing a watch" is not an option on the poll, so I cannot vote.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  5. #5
    Body By Nintendo Psydotek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.
    Posts
    3,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    l"ook at the display on my cell phone in lieu of wearing a watch" is not an option on the poll, so I cannot vote.
    Can you at least fix the thread title & poll speeling for me?

    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.

  6. #6
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    l"ook at the display on my cell phone in lieu of wearing a watch" is not an option on the poll, so I cannot vote.
    Same here....but that is DIGITAL
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  7. #7
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,113
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
    What is analong?
    what you talkin bout willis?




    I got your back Psydotek
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  8. #8
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,114
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Analog: It can also substitute for a compass, as long as it isn't high noon. 3:00 to the sun in the afternoon and 12:00 is north In the Morning, it's 9:00 to the sun.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  9. #9
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,114
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    By the way, I fixed your fumble fingered typing in the poll options.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  10. #10
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,113
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    When I did wear a watch, I preferred stainless steel, analog, chronograph styles watches. If I ever buy a nice watch again, it will be a stainless dive watch.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  11. #11
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,113
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    By the way, I fixed your fumble fingered typing in the poll options.
    I saw that, went to open the poll to fix it and it was changed! Had to close the poll and then wonder if I saw what I thought I saw!
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    228
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I normally don't wear a watch, especially at work. My wrists hurt. When I do, it is a Citizen Blue Angles hybrid.

  13. #13
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psydotek View Post
    So i'm looking at getting a new watch. I've currently got a Casio G-Shock MTG520 which is analog+digital which has served me well for almost 5 years without a battery replacement but the springbars/pins are starting to wear out and i'm pretty sure the water resistant seal is starting to degrade (i get condensation on the inside of the faceplate when i'm out riding in the cold). However right now i'm torn between analog+digital or going back to an all digital watch...

    (and yes, it needs to be a G-Shock since i'm pretty hard on my watches)
    IMO Casio has always made the best watches. I stopped wearing watches since I always have a cell phone with time on it nowadays, but before that I was definitely a Casio watch wearer. I had a particular watch that I loved and rebought the same model watch every time I killed it (I'm hard on them too) for about 10-15 years.

    The model I had was kind of a precursor to the G-Shocks. The G-Shock watches were more or less an upgrade of the one I used to wear. So, IMO, no worries with a G-Shock. Whichever model you pick, it will be a good watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  14. #14
    Squirrelly Member trsidn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
    Posts
    233
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like analog. Usually you are just glancing at it. With a digital, you actually have to read it.



    plus the numbers are getting too hard to see anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariah View Post
    Transcendental enumeration.

  15. #15
    Banned wagathon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,728
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... a perpetual (Omega Seamaster)




  16. #16
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trsidn View Post
    I like analog. Usually you are just glancing at it. With a digital, you actually have to read it.



    plus the numbers are getting too hard to see anyway
    LOL...I prefer digital for the exact same reason. Analog requires me to "think" about the numbers and interpret them. No its not difficult, but for speed, just reading the numbers is much quicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  17. #17
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't wear a watch, I am around too many things that could catch on a watch band and haul me into them and commence chewing on me. I haven't worn a watch for decades.

    Besides, I hate how they feel.

  18. #18
    Squirrelly Member trsidn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
    Posts
    233
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
    LOL...I prefer digital for the exact same reason. Analog requires me to "think" about the numbers and interpret them. No its not difficult, but for speed, just reading the numbers is much quicker.
    mine doesn't have numbers, so you are just looking at the position of the watch arms
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariah View Post
    Transcendental enumeration.

  19. #19
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Home alone
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
    Posts
    6,021
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
    What is analong?
    What is a watch? For most people there is no need for a watch except for habit or "fashion." Right now as i sit in my office, i can look at the time on my computer screen, my cell phone, the wall, my pager etc.

  20. #20
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trsidn View Post
    mine doesn't have numbers, so you are just looking at the position of the watch arms
    Even worse. You have to "think" about the position. And worse is without numbers you have to look even more closely to make sure hand is between 4rth and 5th, not 3rd and 4rth. Just the position means you have to "process" it after you've looked. Digital is still much quicker for me.

    My old car had an analog clock with no numbers in it. It was mean to look more "elegant", but it just annoyed me. Especially since it was illuminated well at night.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  21. #21
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,114
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I grew up with Analog.....digital wasn't in vogue until my late teens, so Analog is "normal" for me. It's just faster.....

    Quote Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
    Even worse. You have to "think" about the position. And worse is without numbers you have to look even more closely to make sure hand is between 4rth and 5th, not 3rd and 4rth. Just the position means you have to "process" it after you've looked. Digital is still much quicker for me.

    My old car had an analog clock with no numbers in it. It was mean to look more "elegant", but it just annoyed me. Especially since it was illuminated well at night.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  22. #22
    Body By Nintendo Psydotek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.
    Posts
    3,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Portis View Post
    What is a watch? For most people there is no need for a watch except for habit or "fashion." Right now as i sit in my office, i can look at the time on my computer screen, my cell phone, the wall, my pager etc.
    Well, one of the pins broke yesterday on my watch and i realized i was addicted to time. I'd keep glancing at my wrist before remembering it wasn't there...

    I find it useful for alot of things (having turned work in at a certain time, checking to see if i need to hurry up when walking from the parking structure to work, seeing how much time i can spend in the shower trying to wake up, etc.)

    As for using the analog watch as a compass, that's one reason i want to keep the analog portion.

    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.

  23. #23
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    I grew up with Analog.....digital wasn't in vogue until my late teens, so Analog is "normal" for me. It's just faster.....
    I'm not too far behind you....but I still find digital much quicker. Digital watches weren't available or in vogue (at least in my memory) until I was about 8 or 9. I grew up as a kid with analog too. I still prefer digital.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  24. #24
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Home alone
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
    Posts
    6,021
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psydotek View Post
    Well, one of the pins broke yesterday on my watch and i realized i was addicted to time. I'd keep glancing at my wrist before remembering it wasn't there...

    I find it useful for alot of things (having turned work in at a certain time, checking to see if i need to hurry up when walking from the parking structure to work, seeing how much time i can spend in the shower trying to wake up, etc.)

    As for using the analog watch as a compass, that's one reason i want to keep the analog portion.
    Seems redundant to me, sort of like wearing two pairs of underwear.

  25. #25
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psydotek View Post
    Well, one of the pins broke yesterday on my watch and i realized i was addicted to time. I'd keep glancing at my wrist before remembering it wasn't there...
    I'm a bit like that too. Although I have now stopped wearing a watch as clocks are available in some form or other everywhere I am, I still want to know the time often. I used to have a girlfriend years ago who got annoyed at me constantly because I looked at my watch. She thought I was constantly rushing her by looking at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •