Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-07-08, 08:50 PM   #1
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel
Thread Starter
 
cuda2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allen, TX
Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Schwinn Crosscut, All-City Space Horse
Posts: 11,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How to lose a customer over $40

Step 1: Sell said customer a new digital camera for $200. Not the one he really wanted mind you, but his second choice but still a very nice camera he's sure to like and use for some time. Oh, and make sure you have a 15% restocking fee for returned cameras if they are opened.

Step 2: When that customer comes back into the store later that evening with an ad for a competing store showing the camera he just bought earlier that day is $40 less, tell him that the competitor has to have one in stock for the price match to be valid. Oh, and make him wait about 15-20minutes during this process.

Step 3: After calling said competitor, or at least making appearances that you have, and type some random things in a computer screen that is too far away to be seen, come back and tell him that no stores have any in stock and that he's plum out of luck.

Step 4: When that same customer calls back a little under an hour later telling them he's headed BACK to the store a SECOND time because he has confirmed that a store in the area DOES in fact have the camera in question, be sure to put him on hold at least 3 times. And each time, keep him on hold long enough for the phone to start ringing through again. They love that.

Step 5: Ensure that your customer service reps make statements like "Oh, you're still trying to figure out the camera thing", and "this is ridiculus" or best yet, "Just do the $159.90 and be done with it." while within ear shot of the customer.

Step 6: Mention something to the effect of how the price would be $179.00 instead of 159.00 while within ear shot of the customer. Make him come over and explain the concept of "In Store Price" to you.

Step 7: Ensure he waits long enough to really draw a comparison to the service he is getting here compared to the competitor's store he just left. You know, the store where 3 employees all helped him track down a phone by checking 3 different inventory screens, calling two different stores, even though he told them up front that he'd already bought the camera else where and was just trying to get a price match. Yup, all that help knowing that they wouldn't get a dime more than the $18 he'd already spent on some card stock during his first visit. Really drive home the comparison for the customer as he sits and steams while you try to figure out how to drive him off even faster.

Step 8: At last, nearly grudgingly, do the price match. Barely say anything while doing it, just staple the price match adjustment receipt to the original, push it across the counter, and state your canned 'Have a good evening.' while he leaves.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.
cuda2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-08, 08:56 PM   #2
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!
 
jyossarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the 212
Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
Posts: 8,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ahhh...customer service. At least you didn't have to deal w/ a call center in Asia and could instead focus your anger on a jackass you could actually see.
__________________
HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
jyossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-08, 08:59 PM   #3
do-well
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday, a local independent computer store lost my business over $20.

Ironically, it happened the same day a friend asked, "Do you know where I can find a used Apple?" The store had not yet lost my business when I was asked this question but was already on my you-know-what list, so I told the friend, "I might, but I can't currently recommend the business I have in mind." After the situation was resolved -- not too my liking -- I made sure to tell my friend today where not to take her business.

I know this is a tired argument, but there's a stark difference between having a certain skill and transforming that skill into a business.
do-well is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-08, 11:44 PM   #4
iamlucky13
Footballus vita est
 
iamlucky13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Trek 4500, Kona Dawg
Posts: 2,118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda2k View Post
Step 1...MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.
Well, there's quite a few people here who could have warned you ahead of time not to shop at Best Buy.
__________________
"The internet is a place where absolutely nothing happens. You need to take advantage of that." ~ Strong Bad
iamlucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 07:23 AM   #5
DieselDan
Senior Member
 
DieselDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
Posts: 8,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is a gas station that lost my business over 40 cents. They were bilking credit card users for 3 cents more a gallon, but I decided to pay cash. The clerk was charging everyone the full price, then pocketing the 3 cents per gallon from the cash customers. It doesn't sound like much, but that station sells several thousand gallons a day. She could make $4 off of one truck fill up alone.
DieselDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 01:24 PM   #6
sneefy
Cactuar!
 
sneefy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: '04 Iron Horse Hollowpoint, '01 Giant Boulder with all non-original parts, '99 Trek 7500 (frame), Mid '90's? Wheeler MTB frame (anybody want it?), '96 Specialized Crossroads, '86 Schwinn Predator Qualifier, 1976 Viscount Aerospace Pro (no death fork)
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlucky13 View Post
Well, there's quite a few people here who could have warned you ahead of time not to shop at Best Buy.
Best Buy is my guess as well. I don't shop there anymore. They have the worst service in the entire retail industry.
sneefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 01:33 PM   #7
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The employees are happy that you won't be coming back. It's not like they care about the business, and now they have one less whinny customer.
Enthalpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 01:33 PM   #8
Hobartlemagne 
Spelling Snob
 
Hobartlemagne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Plano, Texas
Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista
Posts: 2,862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda2k View Post
Step 1: Sell said customer a new digital camera for $200. Not the one he really wanted mind you, but his second choice but still a very nice camera he's sure to like and use for some time. Oh, and make sure you have a 15% restocking fee for returned cameras if they are opened.

Step 2: When that customer comes back into the store later that evening with an ad for a competing store showing the camera he just bought earlier that day is $40 less, tell him that the competitor has to have one in stock for the price match to be valid. Oh, and make him wait about 15-20minutes during this process.

Step 3: After calling said competitor, or at least making appearances that you have, and type some random things in a computer screen that is too far away to be seen, come back and tell him that no stores have any in stock and that he's plum out of luck.

Step 4: When that same customer calls back a little under an hour later telling them he's headed BACK to the store a SECOND time because he has confirmed that a store in the area DOES in fact have the camera in question, be sure to put him on hold at least 3 times. And each time, keep him on hold long enough for the phone to start ringing through again. They love that.

Step 5: Ensure that your customer service reps make statements like "Oh, you're still trying to figure out the camera thing", and "this is ridiculus" or best yet, "Just do the $159.90 and be done with it." while within ear shot of the customer.

Step 6: Mention something to the effect of how the price would be $179.00 instead of 159.00 while within ear shot of the customer. Make him come over and explain the concept of "In Store Price" to you.

Step 7: Ensure he waits long enough to really draw a comparison to the service he is getting here compared to the competitor's store he just left. You know, the store where 3 employees all helped him track down a phone by checking 3 different inventory screens, calling two different stores, even though he told them up front that he'd already bought the camera else where and was just trying to get a price match. Yup, all that help knowing that they wouldn't get a dime more than the $18 he'd already spent on some card stock during his first visit. Really drive home the comparison for the customer as he sits and steams while you try to figure out how to drive him off even faster.

Step 8: At last, nearly grudgingly, do the price match. Barely say anything while doing it, just staple the price match adjustment receipt to the original, push it across the counter, and state your canned 'Have a good evening.' while he leaves.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

That sucks. Service is so important for repeat business.
They say an unhappy customer will tell 10 people about it. Such an easy way to lose business.
__________________

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Hobartlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 01:51 PM   #9
aham23
grilled cheesus
 
aham23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 8675309
Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport
Posts: 6,946
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlucky13 View Post
Well, there's quite a few people here who could have warned you ahead of time not to shop at Best Buy.

that was totally funny.

however, i have never had any issues getting price matching at BB.

of course, YMMV.

later.
__________________
aham23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 02:05 PM   #10
Map tester
I am not a car
 
Map tester's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Decatur, GA
Bikes: Giant Revel 1, Surly Ogre
Posts: 747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneefy View Post
Best Buy is my guess as well. I don't shop there anymore. They have the worst service in the entire retail industry.
A few years ago I worked for a company hired by Best Buy; I got to see how Best Buy management treats their employees and contractors. I haven't been in a Best Buy since, and tell everyone I know not to do any business with them.
__________________
"Bad facts make bad laws." FZ
Map tester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 02:21 PM   #11
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthalpic View Post
The employees are happy that you won't be coming back. It's not like they care about the business, and now they have one less whinny customer.
Duh.

When you pay people near minimum wage in the retail/food service industry, you really can't expect them to give a crap about the job.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 02:29 PM   #12
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobartlemagne View Post
That sucks. Service is so important for repeat business.
They say an unhappy customer will tell 10 people about it. Such an easy way to lose business.
So, it looks like 10 people have read this thread, should I close it now?
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 04:08 PM   #13
mlts22 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Joe Girard said that it was more like 250 people who would know if one person was pissed about customer sat issues. This is why when in IT or CS, I never would tell an outside customer to stick it. That outside customer will promptly have 250 people who are now averse to that company, and each of those 250 people have 250 more for "friend of a friend" stories.

As for Best Buy or Circuit City, if I'm buying a machine there, I hit the store, copy all the model numbers of anything that look like candidates, pull their stats from HP's support site, and then make a choice. The biggest two decision makers for me between models is RAM capacity and a presence of a PCI-E slot (if the box is a desktop). 4 gigs is minimum, 8-16 is preferred, because the first thing I do is max out the RAM. I absolutely do not trust the word of the salespeople there, not because they are bad, but usually because the stores have so many models that people can't be familar with all their ins and outs.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 08:00 PM   #14
cowtown_cowboy
Custom User Title
 
cowtown_cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada eh
Bikes: lots trust me too much to mention
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I usually, but not always, find the service at the smaller shops to be much better. I was shopping for a camera and checked out Black's in the mall. The guy was an encyclopedia of camera knowledge! Pretty easy to unload my cash to him vs. high schhol/20 something idiot who has no desire/ability to answer any questions.

I heard BB is owned by Future Shop? or maybe that's just in Canada?
cowtown_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 08:22 PM   #15
sneefy
Cactuar!
 
sneefy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: '04 Iron Horse Hollowpoint, '01 Giant Boulder with all non-original parts, '99 Trek 7500 (frame), Mid '90's? Wheeler MTB frame (anybody want it?), '96 Specialized Crossroads, '86 Schwinn Predator Qualifier, 1976 Viscount Aerospace Pro (no death fork)
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You must like 64 bit Operating Systems, eh? Vista 64 or XP 64?

Future shop does not own BB. It's the other way around. Nobody owns BB. BB owns future shop, magnolia hi-fi, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
Joe Girard said that it was more like 250 people who would know if one person was pissed about customer sat issues. This is why when in IT or CS, I never would tell an outside customer to stick it. That outside customer will promptly have 250 people who are now averse to that company, and each of those 250 people have 250 more for "friend of a friend" stories.

As for Best Buy or Circuit City, if I'm buying a machine there, I hit the store, copy all the model numbers of anything that look like candidates, pull their stats from HP's support site, and then make a choice. The biggest two decision makers for me between models is RAM capacity and a presence of a PCI-E slot (if the box is a desktop). 4 gigs is minimum, 8-16 is preferred, because the first thing I do is max out the RAM. I absolutely do not trust the word of the salespeople there, not because they are bad, but usually because the stores have so many models that people can't be familar with all their ins and outs.
sneefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 09:41 PM   #16
Hobartlemagne 
Spelling Snob
 
Hobartlemagne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Plano, Texas
Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista
Posts: 2,862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I buy at Fry's in person and Tigerdirect.com online
__________________

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Hobartlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:44 PM.