Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    lunatic fringe Dogbait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Miles from Nowhere, Columbia County, OR
    My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Posts
    1,111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Did she really say that?

    Just sitting here perusing the forums with the TV news on in the background when the interviewee says:

    " I'm a Realtor because I want to help people".

    Anyone buying that?

  2. #2
    RacingBear UmneyDurak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    8,186
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does that saying goes? "There is an idiot born every minute"? I am sure some people are buying it.
    I see hills.... Bring them on!!!
    Stay calm and bring a towel.

  3. #3
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scarier thought: Did she actually believe it herself?
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  4. #4
    Banned. red house's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
    My Bikes
    Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby
    Posts
    5,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbait View Post
    Just sitting here perusing the forums with the TV news on in the background when the interviewee says:

    " I'm a Realtor because I want to help people".

    Anyone buying that?


    What.. Is she not ''ppl'' ? .. tink about it.

  5. #5
    blithering idiot jhota's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    beautiful coastal South Carolina
    My Bikes
    1991 Trek 930, 2005 Bianchi Eros, 2006 Nashbar "X," IRO Rob Roy
    Posts
    1,263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what's so wrong with the statement? if you believe (like many do) that the "American Dream" is to own your own home, then she assists people in making that dream into reality.

    sure, it's not charity work or curing cancer - but it's not like she's a telemarketer or anything.

  6. #6
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhota View Post
    what's so wrong with the statement? if you believe (like many do) that the "American Dream" is to own your own home, then she assists people in making that dream into reality.

    sure, it's not charity work or curing cancer - but it's not like she's a telemarketer or anything.
    Hmmm....perhaps her statement would be accurate if she said, "I'm a realtor because I want to help people...that are willing to spend 3-6% extra for their new home."

    I have had many, many friends get into real estate. Not one of them did it for any other reason than money.

    I would also add that any realtor that was in it to "help people" would be a poor realtor indeed, the same as hiring a lawyer that doesn't want to offend their adversary.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  7. #7
    Prefers Aluminum Sprocket Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Honolulu
    My Bikes
    Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)
    Posts
    2,671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
    Hmmm....perhaps her statement would be accurate if she said, "I'm a realtor because I want to help people...that are willing to spend 3-6% extra for their new home."

    I have had many, many friends get into real estate. Not one of them did it for any other reason than money.

    I would also add that any realtor that was in it to "help people" would be a poor realtor indeed, the same as hiring a lawyer that doesn't want to offend their adversary.
    Helping people and making money are not mutually exclusive.

  8. #8
    Banned Bikepacker67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ogopogo's shoreline
    My Bikes
    LHT, Kona Smoke
    Posts
    4,086
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket Man View Post
    Helping people and making money are not mutually exclusive.
    But it helps the profit margin if they are.

    And given our cutthroat capitalistic system, helping people is such wishy-washy ******* pablum.

  9. #9
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket Man View Post
    Helping people and making money are not mutually exclusive.
    Oh no, never said it was mutually exclusive, but considering that a realtor is someone you hire to help negotiate the best deal possible...do you really want to hire one that isn't concerned with money? I saw the statement as a bit dishonest, and if there is any one trait I'd look for in a realtor it's integrity, not showmanship.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  10. #10
    phony collective progress x136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Hoosey
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/user/36663
    Posts
    2,983
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by red house View Post
    What.. Is she not ''ppl'' ? .. tink about it.
    It makes a great deal more sense if you read the original post's thread with this in mind.

  11. #11
    Banned. red house's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
    My Bikes
    Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby
    Posts
    5,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^

    uhm.. yeah, I did .. (all three sentences of it).



    ^^(btw) .. That's why it was included wit teh respond w / quote thingy - (in teh post)..

  12. #12
    phony collective progress x136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Hoosey
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/user/36663
    Posts
    2,983
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Psst, I was agreeing with your post, not correcting you.)

  13. #13
    Banned. red house's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
    My Bikes
    Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby
    Posts
    5,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by x136 View Post
    (Psst, I was agreeing with your post, not correcting you.)

    ^^Why .. are you posting is such a hard to read colour??

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •