Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-18-03, 08:10 AM   #1
TrekRider
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Gambrills, Maryland
Bikes:
Posts: 2,717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Exercise?

Rockymtn_girl's signature line "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There's something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym." - Bill Nye, the Science Guy, is one of the wonders of the modern world.

At my office building, we have a gym in the basement. I have even seen military people in their "war suits" and carrying gym bags get on the elevator on the first floor and press "B" to go work out!

How about the cyclists who put their bike on the rack, drive 5 miles to the trail, ride 10 miles, put the bike back on the rack, and drive home, all on suburban roads with bike lanes!

Of course, both are better than sitting on your fat bum, clicking through the channel and eating Nachos.
TrekRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-03, 08:54 PM   #2
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool
 
Allister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Wynnum, Australia
Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700
Posts: 3,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekRider
Rockymtn_girl's signature line "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There's something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym." - Bill Nye, the Science Guy, is one of the wonders of the modern world..
It's the ones that drive around looking for the closest spot to the door than spin me out.
Allister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-03, 09:19 PM   #3
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Bikes:
Posts: 9,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allister
It's the ones that drive around looking for the closest spot to the door than spin me out.
What about the ones who walk out to their cars in the carpark, get in, drive them two parking spaces closer to the shops, and get out and go back into the shops. I actually saw this happen at Pacific Fair shopping centre last month.
__________________
"I am never going to flirt with idleness again" - Roy Keane
"We invite everyone to question the entire culture we take for granted." - Manic Street Preachers.
My blog.
My bike tours. Japan tour page under construction.
Chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-03, 12:21 AM   #4
Bikesick
Senior Member
 
Bikesick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sunny Eastern Washington
Bikes: Litespeed Vortex, Trek Fuel 100
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekRider
How about the cyclists who put their bike on the rack, drive 5 miles to the trail, ride 10 miles, put the bike back on the rack, and drive home, all on suburban roads with bike lanes!
This was exactly what got me into road bike riding. It was ridiculous for me to drive to the trailhead and ride 4 or 5 times a week. So I built up a road bike for cross training. Didn't know I'd love it so much. Now I probably ride more on the road than trail. It's just so much easier to ride out my front door for a 1-1/2 hour workout than to gear up, drive to the trail, etc. I love the trails, but the road is awesome too!!
Bikesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-03, 03:28 PM   #5
TrekRider
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Gambrills, Maryland
Bikes:
Posts: 2,717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikesick
This was exactly what got me into road bike riding. It was ridiculous for me to drive to the trailhead and ride 4 or 5 times a week. So I built up a road bike for cross training. Didn't know I'd love it so much. Now I probably ride more on the road than trail. It's just so much easier to ride out my front door for a 1-1/2 hour workout than to gear up, drive to the trail, etc. I love the trails, but the road is awesome too!!
On the weekends, I routinely ride 10 miles to the trail, then between 30 and 50 miles on the trails, then home again. Make for a very nice week-end morning.
TrekRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-08, 01:01 PM   #6
thplmn72
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: W. Atlanta
Bikes: Trek 7200,trek t 800,Jamis Quest
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How about the ones who park in handicap spot the walk the mall 3 hours the the ones that get me.
thplmn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-08, 01:07 PM   #7
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Holy Resurrected Thread Batman!

I will defend those who drive to the trail head. Maybe 10 miles is their limit at their current fitness level and they do not like streets. I drive a few miles to the LBS to start the ride with the group, instead of adding 6 miles to my ride.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:45 AM.