Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    unaangalia nini? baiskeli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Arlington MA
    My Bikes
    Jamis Quest (Ultegra components,Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels and Reynods Ouzo Pro Fork), Gary Fisher Tassajara
    Posts
    1,136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    People have way too much money and way too little common sense

    So, I just read about this $11,000 coffee maker on Slate. I think the writer missed the point

    Could a Coffee Maker Be Worth $11,000?
    http://www.slate.com/id/2185655/pagenum/2/

    Obviously, if you have the refined taste to spend $11,000 on a coffee maker, you won't brew regular coffee that the unwashed masses can drink. It's all about exclusivity, you want the absolute best. This machine would go perfect brewing Kopi Luwak* coffee.

    So, you can spend $11,000 on a coffee maker, spend $600 on a pound of coffee and make yourself the bestest (yes, I know its not a word) cup of coffee (along with some errant civet** poop)

    I have a business idea for the super rich market. I will start a restaurant where everyone on the staff has a Phd from an Ivy League School (from cooks to dishwashers and cleaners) .That way, when your burger and fries costs $2500 you can have the satisfaction that it was touched only by the smartest hands. Oh, and you can also have a $100 cup of coffee to go with it. :-)


    *
    Kopi Luwak the most expensive coffee in the world does exist, and those who drink the expensive coffee insist that it is made from coffee beans eaten, partly digested and then excreted by the Common palm civet, a weasel-like animal.
    http://most-expensive.net/coffee-in-world

    **
    Civet
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civet

  2. #2
    Banned. red house's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
    My Bikes
    Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby
    Posts
    5,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't be a hater B. .. You know? This is 'coffee' we're talking about. Think KRUPS (the top of the line model - the one with the multi-lingual displays), yeah imagine one of those but like.. 30 times more expensive/better!


    That's what I'm talkin about.. (so yeah.. what are you talkin about?)


  3. #3
    Lanky Lass East Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Posts
    21,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by red house View Post
    Don't be a hater B. .. You know? This is 'coffee' we're talking about. Think KRUPS (the top of the line model - the one with the multi-lingual displays), yeah imagine one of those but like.. 30 times more expensive/better!


    That's what I'm talkin about.. (so yeah.. what are you talkin about?)

    You'll have to stop using the beer smiley and go with the expensive cup of coffee one, ok?

    What's the most amount of money you've ever spent on a cup of coffee, red house?

    East Hill
    ___________________________________________________
    TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...

  4. #4
    Banned. red house's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
    My Bikes
    Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby
    Posts
    5,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
    You'll have to stop using the beer smiley and go with the expensive cup of coffee one, ok?

    What's the most amount of money you've ever spent on a cup of coffee, red house?

    East Hill


    ..I used to pay up to 4 dollars for a 4 shot espresso at dunkin donuts.. then I realised that I could get the same 4 shots at starbucks for like 2.57!! .. But now I just drink plain/regular coffee 'black' .. no more espresso shots.


    At work they have this KRUPS machine. I set the machine to brew on the 4oz setting, and I use a 16 oz cup - so I'm able to use 4 KRUPS-cups for one 16 oz cup of coffee. It's s-ϋber strong! And it's free!!

  5. #5
    Lanky Lass East Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Posts
    21,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by red house View Post
    ..I used to pay up to 4 dollars for a 4 shot espresso at dunkin donuts.. then I realised that I could get the same 4 shots at starbucks for like 2.57!! .. But now I just drink plain/regular coffee 'black' .. no more espresso shots.


    At work they have this KRUPS machine. I set the machine to brew on the 4oz setting, and I use a 16 oz cup - so I'm able to use 4 KRUPS-cups for one 16 oz cup of coffee. It's s-ϋber strong! And it's free!!
    Being a cheapskate, I drink tea . Mr. East Hill likes coffee every now and then, but he came to the conclusion that he was too cheap as well to be hitting the coffee shops every day.

    East Hill
    ___________________________________________________
    TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...

  6. #6
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,880
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have the Clover machine at the coffee shop across the parking lot.

    Any time I feel like dropping a $5 bill on a cup, it's just a short walk away.

    The rest of the time I just brew a pot here for a buck.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  7. #7
    long time visiter Alfster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SW Ontario
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way
    Posts
    585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my approx coffee expenditure for the year:



    Therefore it would take me approx 11 years of not drinking coffee to pay for the $11000 machine. Definitely not worth it.

    Yes I'm bored

  8. #8
    Gorntastic! v1k1ng1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States of Mexico
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  9. #9
    Seņor Member USAZorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    My Bikes
    1954 Hetchins M.O., 1959 Viking Severn Valley, 1970 Raleigh Pro, 1972 Fuji "The Finest", 1974 Raleigh Superbe&Comp, 1976 Raleigh Team Pro, 1994 Trek 830 MTB, 2000 Bob Jackson Arrowhead, Unicycle
    Posts
    13,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfster View Post
    This is my approx coffee expenditure for the year:



    Therefore it would take me approx 11 years of not drinking coffee to pay for the $11000 machine. Definitely not worth it.

    Yes I'm bored
    You need to account for the cost of electricity in brewing the coffee, and whatever you spend on detergent and cleaning the drinking vessel. Also, if you have to go out of your way to purchase coffee during the work weeks, there's going to be some transit costs involved.

    That machine would pay for itself in 9-10 years easy.
    The search for inner peace continues...

  10. #10
    long time visiter Alfster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SW Ontario
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way
    Posts
    585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USAZorro View Post
    You need to account for the cost of electricity in brewing the coffee, and whatever you spend on detergent and cleaning the drinking vessel. Also, if you have to go out of your way to purchase coffee during the work weeks, there's going to be some transit costs involved.

    That machine would pay for itself in 9-10 years easy.
    LOL, I was actually going to include those costs. I just didn't want to come across being more weird than I already do.

    [edit] btw, you forgot the cost of gas when I pick up Tim Hortons (winter only)

  11. #11
    Banned. red house's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
    My Bikes
    Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby
    Posts
    5,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
    Being a cheapskate, I drink tea . Mr. East Hill likes coffee every now and then, but he came to the conclusion that he was too cheap as well to be hitting the coffee shops every day.

    East Hill


    There's a Mr. East? -?



    .. man. . you were just about to become the next Koffee/dorthy dandridge type persona.. but you blew it!! -?
    Last edited by red house; 03-06-08 at 10:21 PM.

  12. #12
    Footballus vita est iamlucky13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Trek 4500, Kona Dawg
    Posts
    2,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meh, I'm bored enough to be a copy cat.

    It'll take me 513 years to pay for it...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The internet is a place where absolutely nothing happens. You need to take advantage of that." ~ Strong Bad

  13. #13
    Lanky Lass East Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Posts
    21,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by red house View Post
    There's a Mr. East? -?



    .. man. . you were just about to become the next Koffee/dorthy dandridge type persona.. but you blew it!! -?
    Sorry .

    I don't think I want to divest myself of him, even for the Dorothy Dandridge title. I'm really, really fond of him .

    East Hill
    ___________________________________________________
    TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...

  14. #14
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,083
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfster View Post
    I just didn't want to come across being more weird than I already do.
    You do realize you posted this is Foo right? Nothing here can be MORE weird. just saying.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  15. #15
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross, 2011 RM Flow1
    Posts
    11,322
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get free coffee at work. It's not anything fancy: Seattle's Best, brewed by a drip machine hooked up to our filtered water line. I don't usually drink coffee on the weekend, so no expense there. An $11K coffee machine would never pay for itself at those rates.
    "I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
    - Mandi M.

  16. #16
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,083
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    CGK1 I really need to see some sort of equation to help me wrap my mind around what $11,000.00 divided by FREE looks like!
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  17. #17
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,628
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  18. #18
    long time visiter Alfster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SW Ontario
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way
    Posts
    585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    CGK1 I really need to see some sort of equation to help me wrap my mind around what $11,000.00 divided by FREE looks like!
    It involves a rather long calculus formula. Trust me you don't want to see it.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    328
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    value has many forms including our own

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •