Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35

Thread: Toyota Hybrid

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    602
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Toyota Hybrid

    The new 2004 Toyota gas-electric hybrid has been introduced. The Prius is a mid-size vehicle (about the size of the Camry) with an EPA average 55 mi/gal city/highway. Tailpipe emissions are down 30% from the previous model.
    The base price is 20K, loaded about 25K.
    Toyota hopes the new larger Prius will gain mainstream acceptance, outgrowing its "green" cult reputation. One can only hope GM and Ford will be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.
    Iím not familiar precisely with exactly what I said, but I stand by what I said whatever it was.

  2. #2
    Footballus vita est iamlucky13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Trek 4500, Kona Dawg
    Posts
    2,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hybrids will be coming along slowly...let's just hope they aren't all as ugly as the Prius. Honestly, Honda is willing to make a decent looking hybrid, why not Toyota?
    "The internet is a place where absolutely nothing happens. You need to take advantage of that." ~ Strong Bad

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Gambrills, Maryland
    Posts
    2,717
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppaspoke
    The new 2004 Toyota gas-electric hybrid has been introduced. The Prius is a mid-size vehicle (about the size of the Camry) with an EPA average 55 mi/gal city/highway. Tailpipe emissions are down 30% from the previous model.
    The base price is 20K, loaded about 25K.
    Toyota hopes the new larger Prius will gain mainstream acceptance, outgrowing its "green" cult reputation. One can only hope GM and Ford will be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.
    When the public is ready to buy hybrids in large numbers, all auto manufacturers will make them. Despite liberal politicians and green zealots dreams, you cannot force the public to buy things that they do not want. Well, you can, but then you have a country like the Soviet Union or Cuba, where you can't buy anything you want.

    That being said, in six years of so, when my 2000 Camry will have 100,000 + on the clock and I am ready to trade again, if there is a hybrid Toyota that is big enough to haul me around and isn't ugly as sin and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I will probabl consider it. Heck, if there was one that looked as good as my Camry and got 55 mpg, I would have bought it. Not because I believe any of the hyperbole about global warming, burning fossile fules, or any of the other environmental whacko nattering, but just to save money on gas.
    "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

  4. #4
    Banned. FXjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    12,592
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That being said, in six years of so, when my 2000 Camry will have 100,000 + on the clock and I am ready to trade again, if there is a hybrid Toyota that is big enough to haul me around and isn't ugly as sin and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I will probabl consider it. Heck, if there was one that looked as good as my Camry and got 55 mpg, I would have bought it. Not because I believe any of the hyperbole about global warming, burning fossile fules, or any of the other environmental whacko nattering, but just to save money on gas.
    Very well said. hey do you know it costs 4500 dollars to replace those batteries?
    I can buy a lot of gas for that kind of money.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Gambrills, Maryland
    Posts
    2,717
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FXjohn
    Very well said. hey do you know it costs 4500 dollars to replace those batteries?
    I can buy a lot of gas for that kind of money.
    Supposedly the batteries will last for 100,000 miles. I know I can get 200,000 out of my Camry, but the last time I got to 100,000 miles, my wife pestered me until I bought a new one. With the Hybrid's battery life, I would be forced to buy a new one.

    Right now, battery technology is what is holding back the Hybrids. I would expect that in the next few years, there will be a break through. If no, oh well, I'll just keep my Camry and hope my wife doesn't bug me again!
    "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

  6. #6
    Just ride. roadbuzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    C-ville, Va
    Posts
    3,237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sales and need will drive hybrid battery technology. Look how far small rechargeable technology has come since the advent of lap-top. Prior to that, Ni-cad was about all there was, and not much money or research was going into it.

    I read an article in the Fredericksburg, Va newspaper a year or so ago... dealers couldn't get enough hybrid cars to satisfy the areas need. It seems a lot of people commute from F'burg to work in DC (about 50 miles), and single occupant hybrid cars are allowed in HOV lanes.

  7. #7
    T-Shirt Guy ehidle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Fuji Team Issue, 2007 Fuji SL-1
    Posts
    464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes a blast from the past is fun
    Yellow + Blue Jerseys!

    Get your Cranky T-Shirt!
    Men's
    and Women's designs available

  8. #8
    Senior Member ritepath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    My Bikes
    CRF150
    Posts
    203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woo Hoo.................Thread resuscitation complete.
    Harmony, Spirit, Way

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    249
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy thread revival!

    I'd rather have the Giugiaro Quaranta, powered by the Lexus RX400h hybrid crossover drivetrain, developed in conjunction with Toyota and Honda. Pretty slick.


  10. #10
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
    Sometimes a blast from the past is fun
    You do well, Padawan.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  11. #11
    somewhere in the ether spoketacular's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    My Bikes
    Trek 2200, K2 Firebird, SE Draft
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Person who just had the brakes on their Prius redone at 60K miles - 2 grand!

    You can buy a lot of gas for 2 grand.
    You rise, you fall, you down, then you rise again
    What don't kill you make you more strong
    You rise, you fall, you down, then you rise again
    What don't kill you make you more strong

    Trek 2200 / Schwinn Madison / K2 Firebird

  12. #12
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spoketacular View Post
    Person who just had the brakes on their Prius redone at 60K miles - 2 grand!

    You can buy a lot of gas for 2 grand.
    Could be a fluke.....got a co-worker who's had his prius for a while and still has nothing but praise for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  13. #13
    Banned Indy_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    On a boat
    My Bikes
    2000 Fisher Paragon, 2005 Giant OCR2, 2006 Bianchi SASS, numerous others
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GM is going to leap frog them soon and finally put a hybrid on the market the way they should have been done to begin with. The Volt should force Toyota to take notice. Totally electric car with the gas motor only there for a generator if the batteries go to low, it does not drive the car at all. Supposed to be in excess of 100 mpg when you do use gas.

  14. #14
    CPM M4 BananaTugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
    My Bikes
    Light.
    Posts
    4,930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
    Sometimes a blast from the past is fun
    Ten tenths.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    249
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just watching Monster Jam yesterday, not that far in the past! They had an interesting run in Tampa, the entire course was sludgy mud, some trucks could hardly move.

  16. #16
    My tank takes chocolate. FlowerBlossom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    My Bikes
    Trek 600 series touring bike, Trek 800 hybrid, Bianchi
    Posts
    6,344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toyota Plug-in Prius is already in the works. They are being sent to commercial fleets sooner than originally scheduled, in early 2009, but the rest of us still have to wait until 2010ish. They haven't released MPG's yet.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0..._n_123288.html
    Feminism is the profound notion that women are human beings.

  17. #17
    Banned Indy_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    On a boat
    My Bikes
    2000 Fisher Paragon, 2005 Giant OCR2, 2006 Bianchi SASS, numerous others
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlowerBlossom View Post
    Toyota Plug-in Prius is already in the works. They are being sent to commercial fleets sooner than originally scheduled, in early 2009, but the rest of us still have to wait until 2010ish. They haven't released MPG's yet.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0..._n_123288.html
    So the same time frame as the Volt. Be interesting to see how Toyota does the drive train, that is the real issue with a pure electric. Wonder if they came up with their own system or are licensing GMs design.

  18. #18
    Safety Zealot wyeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy_Rider View Post
    So the same time frame as the Volt. Be interesting to see how Toyota does the drive train, that is the real issue with a pure electric. Wonder if they came up with their own system or are licensing GMs design.
    What I had heard (totally unconfirmed) is that it's essentially the same "parallel hybrid" design as the current gen Prius - just that the battery capacity is boosted and there are better electric motors that aren't limited to 30mph anymore.

    Exactly how that works in a "plug in" format (i.e. when the gas motor kicks in) I have no idea. I think they've started testing in UK tho'. Any news over there?

    My guess is that at a low battery state, the car acts more like an older Prius, limiting electric drive to low speeds, with the motor kicking in to drive/charge.

  19. #19
    Banned Indy_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    On a boat
    My Bikes
    2000 Fisher Paragon, 2005 Giant OCR2, 2006 Bianchi SASS, numerous others
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wyeast View Post
    What I had heard (totally unconfirmed) is that it's essentially the same "parallel hybrid" design as the current gen Prius - just that the battery capacity is boosted and there are better electric motors that aren't limited to 30mph anymore.

    Exactly how that works in a "plug in" format (i.e. when the gas motor kicks in) I have no idea. I think they've started testing in UK tho'. Any news over there?

    My guess is that at a low battery state, the car acts more like an older Prius, limiting electric drive to low speeds, with the motor kicking in to drive/charge.
    If that is the case, it will be disaster. The problem with electric motors is they have a very narrow power band which is why they want with the hybrid platform like they did. GM figured this out with the EV1, though that thing trashed transmissions like tomorrow (good friend worked on the program, freaking awesome car to drive though). What happens is you need a lot of gears to account for the narrow power band, accelerating at speed is opposite of a standard transmission. Instead of dropping down a gear and cranking the motor, you kill the motor, grab a higher gear and then freaking hit for all its worth. Tends to be kind of hard on trannies but really effective.

    That is the reason I thought they might be purchasing it from GM since they do know how to do that. They just have been waiting on battery technology to reach the point it is now. Battery manufactures had been telling them they were almost there ever since they first started developing the EV1, guess it took a little longer than the battery suppliers thought it would.

  20. #20
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy_Rider View Post
    If that is the case, it will be disaster. The problem with electric motors is they have a very narrow power band which is why they want with the hybrid platform like they did. GM figured this out with the EV1, though that thing trashed transmissions like tomorrow (good friend worked on the program, freaking awesome car to drive though). What happens is you need a lot of gears to account for the narrow power band, accelerating at speed is opposite of a standard transmission. Instead of dropping down a gear and cranking the motor, you kill the motor, grab a higher gear and then freaking hit for all its worth. Tends to be kind of hard on trannies but really effective.

    That is the reason I thought they might be purchasing it from GM since they do know how to do that. They just have been waiting on battery technology to reach the point it is now. Battery manufactures had been telling them they were almost there ever since they first started developing the EV1, guess it took a little longer than the battery suppliers thought it would.
    Does the CRT fix this problem?

  21. #21
    Banned Indy_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    On a boat
    My Bikes
    2000 Fisher Paragon, 2005 Giant OCR2, 2006 Bianchi SASS, numerous others
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine View Post
    Does the CRT fix this problem?
    CRT? Not familiar with term (been out of auto market for awhile now).

  22. #22
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, Crocodile Rage Tears...

    yeah, sorry... CVT

  23. #23
    Banned Indy_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    On a boat
    My Bikes
    2000 Fisher Paragon, 2005 Giant OCR2, 2006 Bianchi SASS, numerous others
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine View Post
    You know, Crocodile Rage Tears...

    yeah, sorry... CVT
    CVT is basically what it takes (essentially what the EV1 had), the issue is how much torque an electric motor does produce it can really tear one up quickly if they aren't done right.

    Electric motors have a horrible power band, but the amount of torque they generate really blows away gas engines. That is why an electric car can accelerate so quickly from a stop, doing it while going though is all about transmission abuse.

  24. #24
    Descends Like Avalanche HigherGround's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Somewhere between Funkytown and Margaritaville, PA
    My Bikes
    Lynskey R330, Litespeed Classic, Eddy Merckx MX Leader, Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)
    Posts
    5,740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaTugger View Post
    Is that available in a hybrid version?
    The rider in my avatar is David Etxebarria, not me.

  25. #25
    It is what it is... Minesbroken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Long Island NY
    My Bikes
    Trek 6500 w/ stuff
    Posts
    806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Driving a hybrid isnt cheaper and doesnt do anything to help the environment...
    sign here so we can do stuff to your stuff...

    myspace
    myplace
    my bike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •