Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    *****es love tarck kemmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sandy, UT
    My Bikes
    so many
    Posts
    3,303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Should I sell pest control this summer?

    I am meeting with some a pest control company tomorrow about a summer sales position managing a team of 8 guys in Orlando, FL. I've never done the pest control thing, but I sold Steak and Chicken door to door year around for 5 years while I was in college. Based on that experience I have been offered the job, despite the fact that I have never done the pest control thing. I figure I need to make 40k and these guys are telling me I should be able to do 60k easily. I would be taking the family along so I'll be paying rent and a mortgage, but they will reimburse me for the rent if I meet my quotas and stuff. I think it would be fun and my kids want to go to Disney World, so....

    Can anyone with experience doing these summer gigs give me the low down?

  2. #2
    Master Surfer of Curbs glenng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    70%PIT 30% Blue Yonder
    My Bikes
    Whats it to ya?
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Orlando is brutally hot in the summer. Orlando is one of the hottest areas of FL because its in the interior of the state, far from the ocean breezes that somewhat cool (relative term) the coastal areas. I could not live there. If you will be working from an office that may be ok but if your doing door to door sales in June-July-August it would be tough. Its flat so the scenery your used to in Utah won`t be there. Unless your family is ready for a big change I would expect homesickness to set in quickly.
    Last edited by glenng; 03-17-08 at 11:18 PM.
    Glenn

  3. #3
    Senior Member randya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    in bed with your mom
    My Bikes
    who cares?
    Posts
    13,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No! Pest Control = Toxics = bad! Florida in summer's not so good either. I've been to Orlando, and I wasn't impressed. Stay home and bomb the hill! If you want a summer gig go north.

  4. #4
    ♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯ -=(8)=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
    My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Posts
    7,906
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kemmer, I hope you consider this carefully.......
    I moved to South Florida to take care of an urgent family matter and
    my soul is crushed by the FL mindset. There are lots of positive things
    like the water, gators and no hills when youre sprinting to work every
    day but the negatives outweight the positives. Orlando is a little different
    than where I am but you will still get the things that make it sooooo
    painfully unlivable to me.....insane traffic, mean nasty people everywhere
    and a roadway grid system that is boring beyond belief, no scenery other
    than Jersey style consumer based sprawlage.
    I totally understand and admire your want to enhance your family's
    quality of life but visit here first close to where you might be working before
    making a decision. Who knows, you might love it and think Im an @$$, but
    for this sad transplant, Im counting the seconds 'til I can leave. Really.
    Whatever you decide, best wishes and hopes for good stuff !!
    -ADVOCACY-☜ Radical VC = Car people on bikes. Just say "NO"

  5. #5
    The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    7,490
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent about a week per month in central Florida for about 7 or 8 months, and I ended up liking it, but I don't think I could take it for a couple of months straight.

    It is interesting to walk out a door and feel like you are walking into a wall of hot water. I saw fog on an 80+ degree day. And, I learned to move very slowly.

    The highlight was the fact that there seemed to be a thunder storm every afternoon throughout the year.

    I also saw a sign that sticks in my mind, before a small hill (probably 10-15 feet total height) was a sign that warned: "Caution can not see opposing traffic"

    A coworker that grew up there said that if you stand on the roof of a 2 story house you are higher than any natural terrain in the state... An exaggeration, but not by much.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

    People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    442
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    40-60k in a summer? like 2.5 mos? you don't see any red flags going off? smells like a scam to me. some people recruited for 'sales teams' of security systems where i went to school for a spell. imo those things are a scam.

  7. #7
    Boffin TitaniuMerlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Windermere (Orlando), Florida
    My Bikes
    2003 LeMond Alpe d'Huez, 2000 Merlin Road Titanium (Carbon Fiber Front Fork)
    Posts
    168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I resent that comment about NJ. You've probably only been to Newark or 'South Jersey' which is a direct result of Philly. North Jersey is very beautiful, even up and around NYC. National Parks, varied terrain, lots of trees. Where i lived in NJ, it took over a 20 minute drive to go to nearest 'fast food' and other such crap.

    I currently live in Orlando FL (not by choice really) and have yet to experience a summer here. Moved down in December. Its nice for people who don't like cold weather, but thats about it. Locals really aren't friendly, except for the people I work with (though half are from the North). Where I live, don't know any neighbors and none have made any attempt to say 'hello' or anything.

    The roads here are not designed for the amount of traffic on them. Any sort of driving laws you know you might as well forget: cutting across three lanes to make a turn, pulling out in front of some one, running red lights, and driving slowly in either lane/next to another car are pretty much the only rules people follow down here.

    I see approximately 2 accidents every day (or the aftermath) on my 30 minute commute from Windermere (back entrance of Disney) to Kissimme. I would even go as far as to say that the TOURISTS are better drivers then the LOCALS.

    Cold down here, where people dress like a blizzard is coming, is when the temperature hits around 70 degrees or below. I plan on moving when I can afford to and have a solid job waiting for me - either back North or in Colorado. I don't want to live in the Bible Belt or Florida, so my options are limited.
    Titanium Merlin ~ Matt

  8. #8
    Portland Fred banerjek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid
    Posts
    10,642
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sirpoopalot View Post
    40-60k in a summer? like 2.5 mos? you don't see any red flags going off?
    If quick money were that easy, everyone would be doing it. A lot of people who have quite a bit of training, education, and experience feel pretty good pulling down that much in a year.

  9. #9
    *****es love tarck kemmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sandy, UT
    My Bikes
    so many
    Posts
    3,303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sirpoopalot View Post
    40-60k in a summer? like 2.5 mos? you don't see any red flags going off? smells like a scam to me. some people recruited for 'sales teams' of security systems where i went to school for a spell. imo those things are a scam.
    It's more like 4 months and I think it's realistic for a commission based job where you get overrides for 8 other people and work long hours. My boss makes 80k easy without a college degree working and average of 30 hours a week.

    I'm not overly concerned about the people and/or living conditions since it's just a few months of my life and I'll spent a large part of it working my ass off anyway. As far as the toxins are concerned, I don't think I'll be around that stuff much as I won't actually be doing the treatment, just selling contracts.

    I'm mostly interested in finding out what to look for in my contract, companies to avoid, and other stuff specific to the summer sales industry.

  10. #10
    ♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯ -=(8)=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
    My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Posts
    7,906
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see red flags too......Look at job dynamics/salaries in that area. A lot of FL is
    low pay, service related work. Even 'good' jobs pay less here than up in the
    Jersey, NY, PA, Del, VA areas. A job that pays 10.00 and hour here will get 15.00
    up north. That salary (40-80k) in FL is one someone would give a body part for.
    I dont know why they would have to recruit outside the area to fill a position.
    Have a plan "B" ready. Read the local papers online and Monster and see whats available
    if plan "A" fails. Again, not to be a wet blanket, just dont want to see someone get stuck
    in a bad situation.
    -ADVOCACY-☜ Radical VC = Car people on bikes. Just say "NO"

  11. #11
    *****es love tarck kemmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sandy, UT
    My Bikes
    so many
    Posts
    3,303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if plan "A" fails, I'll just come home. The company is local, they send sales teams around the country to do sales for the summer. It's really common for pest control, home security and satellite service to be sold using this model.

  12. #12
    Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,676
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2 cents.

    I love Florida....The ocean, the palm trees, the beaches, the gators, the women/girls scantily dressed. I love the feel of the sand between your toes and the taste of citrus fruit when its picked right off the trees.
    Having said that, Orlando is one of the last places on earth I would live. The traffic is crappy as all h@ll, the people are cranky as can be due to the high temps and high humidity, there is no sense of a community since its all built around Disney. So, I personally would say no to Orlando.
    1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Posts
    1,371
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way pest control sales works around here is you show up at the client's house with your pet termite in your pocket, you crawl under the house and play with your PSP for 10 minutes, then you climb out and show the home owner your pet termite and sell them a boat load of pest control services.

    The big money quoted is based on commissions. I recommend you befriend a termite and give it a try.

  14. #14
    Senior Member randya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    in bed with your mom
    My Bikes
    who cares?
    Posts
    13,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kemmer View Post
    As far as the toxins are concerned, I don't think I'll be around that stuff much as I won't actually be doing the treatment, just selling contracts.
    It's still bad karma


  15. #15
    Portland Fred banerjek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid
    Posts
    10,642
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Rides View Post
    The way pest control sales works around here is you show up at the client's house with your pet termite in your pocket, you crawl under the house and play with your PSP for 10 minutes, then you climb out and show the home owner your pet termite and sell them a boat load of pest control services.

    The big money quoted is based on commissions. I recommend you befriend a termite and give it a try.
    That works? People don't expect evidence such as damage, insect parts in spider webs, a logical entry point, etc? How do you get them to agree to let you poke around?

    I guess the good news is that after the treatment, actual sightings of pests are rare...

  16. #16
    *****es love tarck kemmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sandy, UT
    My Bikes
    so many
    Posts
    3,303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randya View Post
    It's still bad karma

    Well, I don't believe in karma because karma is justice without satisfaction and I don't believe in justice. But yeah, that's a good point.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Selling pest control in summer? i don't think it's a good idea.

  18. #18
    DBA
    DBA is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    211
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pest Control? Orlando Fl?
    Don't kill Mickey!

  19. #19
    Senior Member NOS88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,470
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TitaniuMerlin View Post
    I resent that comment about NJ. You've probably only been to Newark or 'South Jersey' which is a direct result of Philly. North Jersey is very beautiful, even up and around NYC. National Parks, varied terrain, lots of trees. Where i lived in NJ, it took over a 20 minute drive to go to nearest 'fast food' and other such crap.

    I currently live in Orlando FL (not by choice really) and have yet to experience a summer here. Moved down in December. Its nice for people who don't like cold weather, but thats about it. Locals really aren't friendly, except for the people I work with (though half are from the North). Where I live, don't know any neighbors and none have made any attempt to say 'hello' or anything.

    The roads here are not designed for the amount of traffic on them. Any sort of driving laws you know you might as well forget: cutting across three lanes to make a turn, pulling out in front of some one, running red lights, and driving slowly in either lane/next to another car are pretty much the only rules people follow down here.

    I see approximately 2 accidents every day (or the aftermath) on my 30 minute commute from Windermere (back entrance of Disney) to Kissimme. I would even go as far as to say that the TOURISTS are better drivers then the LOCALS.

    Cold down here, where people dress like a blizzard is coming, is when the temperature hits around 70 degrees or below. I plan on moving when I can afford to and have a solid job waiting for me - either back North or in Colorado. I don't want to live in the Bible Belt or Florida, so my options are limited.
    Hey, I resent that comment about Philly. South Jersey is the way it is because people wanted to like there and not somewhere else. Philly has not control over what South Jersey looks like.

    To the OP: I'd do a bit of research to find out the top seasons for such sales. Tourist season is over in the summer. And it might be possible that the best time to sell such contracts is right before tourist season starts. Just a thought that might be worth checking out.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

  20. #20
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,117
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Hey, I resent that comment about Philly. South Jersey is the way it is because people wanted to like there and not somewhere else. Philly has not control over what South Jersey looks like.

    To the OP: I'd do a bit of research to find out the top seasons for such sales. Tourist season is over in the summer. And it might be possible that the best time to sell such contracts is right before tourist season starts. Just a thought that might be worth checking out.
    Dude, you might as well talk to yourself as this zombie thread that was dredged up by a spammer. Mods have banned spammer and deleted posts, which just leave this zombie thread to sit here and rot. Also, Philly and Jersey and most everywhere else are not TEXAS and as such, deserve pity and scorn.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  21. #21
    moving target c0urt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    birmingham, al
    My Bikes
    a masi speciale, and a kuota k-factor.
    Posts
    2,831
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i couldnt do orlando, i was willing to ride my bicycle back home to alabama,
    how to tape your bars http://www.flickr.com/photos/89572419@N00/sets/72157629279270681/

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Middle of the road, NJ
    Posts
    2,208
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you Google the company you would be working for? That may be a good place to startt.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

  23. #23
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,117
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    zombie thread alert!!!!

    Thread dredge by banned spammer post deleted
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  24. #24
    DBA
    DBA is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    211
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    My 2 cents.

    I love Florida....The ocean, the palm trees, the beaches, the gators, the women/girls scantily dressed. I love the feel of the sand between your toes and the taste of citrus fruit when its picked right off the trees.
    Having said that, Orlando is one of the last places on earth I would live. The traffic is crappy as all h@ll, the people are cranky as can be due to the high temps and high humidity, there is no sense of a community since its all built around Disney. So, I personally would say no to Orlando.
    This guy summed it up nicely.
    Zombie thread or not.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •