Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-20-08, 10:34 AM   #1
roccobike
Bike Junkie
Thread Starter
 
roccobike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Speialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount
Posts: 9,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Problems with Forum link, am I the only one?

I'm having all kinds of problems connecting and staying connected to BF. Am I the only one?
Gee, Maybe they're trying to tell me something.
__________________
Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator
roccobike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 10:36 AM   #2
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No, you aren't the only one. BF's is sucking wind today for some reason.
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 10:38 AM   #3
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout
 
crtreedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Costa Rica
Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem
Posts: 3,074
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
You are not alone.... you can be frustrated or actually go ride your bike.
crtreedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 10:39 AM   #4
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
You are not alone.... you can be frustrated or actually go ride your bike.
Or quit screwing around and actually get some work done which the company is paying you for.
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 10:45 AM   #5
roccobike
Bike Junkie
Thread Starter
 
roccobike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Speialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount
Posts: 9,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for the responses.
I wish I could ride my bike or return to work.
I just had rotator cuff surgery so I pass my time posting on BF and counting the days until I can ride again. But this too shall pass.
Thanks again for the responses.
__________________
Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator
roccobike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 10:51 AM   #6
lodi781
was kung-fu fighting
 
lodi781's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Connecticut
Bikes: '00 schwinn moab disk/06 specialized stumpy fsr expert, 06 look565
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had it too....
lodi781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 10:54 AM   #7
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccobike View Post
Thanks for the responses.
I wish I could ride my bike or return to work.
I just had rotator cuff surgery so I pass my time posting on BF and counting the days until I can ride again. But this too shall pass.
Thanks again for the responses.
heal quickly, any kind of surgery sucks...can't imagine having my shoulder disabled though.
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 10:55 AM   #8
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heck, all i got for 14+ hours was error messages.

Apparently there were some issues.
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 10:59 AM   #9
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
Heck, all i got for 14+ hours was error messages.

Apparently there were some issues.
I think it was the posting of that picture, Tom. That's seems to be when everything went downhill.
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 11:00 AM   #10
white_feather
Shrek on a Trek
 
white_feather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Apartment in Willoughby
Bikes: 1996 Trek 730, 2008 Kona Eighty-Eight,
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought I was going to die! I was about to call the Crisis Hotline. I am so damn addicted to this forum, and there isn't even any PRON. I must get maturing.
white_feather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 11:00 AM   #11
Tude 
Blasted Weeds
 
Tude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
Posts: 1,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
<sniff>

And what made it worse was that the other main forum I'm on was up and down too then became a snail.

I had to go sign on to my backpacker forum and talk to some of my long lost mallwalker friends.

and work.



Tude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 11:04 AM   #12
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!
 
ilikebikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"
Bikes: to many to list
Posts: 6,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccobike View Post
Thanks for the responses.
I wish I could ride my bike or return to work.
I just had rotator cuff surgery so I pass my time posting on BF and counting the days until I can ride again. But this too shall pass.
Thanks again for the responses.
Not trying to scare you but I had rotator cuff surgery and it took me out of commision...permanately! I had to leave my job on a regulation 32 and have been "retired" for going on 8 years now because of it. My shoulder never was right after the surgery. I cant do half the things I used to do but my doc told me I could still ride my bike as long as it wasnt off road stuff, so thats good...I guess
__________________
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
ilikebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 12:49 PM   #13
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
Heck, all i got for 14+ hours was error messages.

Apparently there were some issues.
me too. It wasn't even intermittent, it was just full on down.
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 02:34 PM   #14
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout
 
crtreedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Costa Rica
Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem
Posts: 3,074
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Okay - I will confess. I just turned 49, and in a spirit of unity with me, the forum decided to act like it was a broken down ole geezer....
crtreedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 04:18 PM   #15
EthanYQX
Why not?
 
EthanYQX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Bikes: Giant STP 2
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
Okay - I will confess. I just turned 49, and in a spirit of unity with me, the forum decided to act like it was a broken down ole geezer....
49 isn't old. Suck it up.

(Happy belated birthday. I missed it)
EthanYQX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 04:42 PM   #16
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout
 
crtreedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Costa Rica
Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem
Posts: 3,074
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankshaftYQX View Post
49 isn't old. Suck it up.

(Happy belated birthday. I missed it)
No - but it is getting close to where you can get sympathy for being an old geezer I am thinking... At least I can hope so.

There are good things about being so old:

1. If a pretty girl doesn't notice you, it isn't anything personal.
2. You aren't expected to be able to compete in the TDF
3. If someone passes you, you just smile and wave. If you do drop them, it is a major accomplishment for you, if you don't, well, what did they expect? They are half your age?
4. You get called Don Fred - which is much better than "Hey you!"
5. I am in excellent shape for 49 - so it is a good thing I am that age, if I was 20, I would be worrying.
6. I have a lifetime of earning behind me - and no need to earn in front of me. Seems to me to be a very nice trade off to being young and broke. (nothing personal to anyone young and broke - been there, done that)
7. I have been married to a wonderful woman for 26+ years - I don't have to wonder if I will find the right person, I figure after 26 years together we pretty much are sure.
8. If there is a creaking noise, it doesn't necessarily mean something on the bike needs to be fixed. This saves worrying about the bike.
9. There are always workers around to move anything heavy. If my wife gets the desire to rearrange the furniture - I am too old to help. Heck, I am too old (so I say) to do much besides ride my bike and eat afterwards (and do experiments and instruct the troops)
10. I can accuse my basic ugliness on old age instead of genetics. I can now say with a straight face I once was handsome without people rolling on the floor laughing. Now they just show compassion. "Dude, sorry to hear about that - was it a really bad crash on the bike that messed up your face?"
crtreedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 04:43 PM   #17
Rowan
Has opinion, will express
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 14,654
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
There was a time when Joe was the sole owner that there would be a reason posted on a thread like this explaining why the system was out, and apologising for it. It seemed to take the heat out of the angst people would feel through withdrawal symptoms, and made the forums seem to be run by humans (well on great one, anyway).

It seems that since the great corporate takeover, nothing has improved in how the system operates, and communicating the problem to customers and others as a distant afterthought.

Happy Birthday, crtreedude!! Celebrate because next year the big 5-0 comes around.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 06:38 PM   #18
EthanYQX
Why not?
 
EthanYQX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Bikes: Giant STP 2
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
No - but it is getting close to where you can get sympathy for being an old geezer I am thinking... At least I can hope so.

There are good things about being so old:

1. If a pretty girl doesn't notice you, it isn't anything personal.
2. You aren't expected to be able to compete in the TDF
3. If someone passes you, you just smile and wave. If you do drop them, it is a major accomplishment for you, if you don't, well, what did they expect? They are half your age?
4. You get called Don Fred - which is much better than "Hey you!"
5. I am in excellent shape for 49 - so it is a good thing I am that age, if I was 20, I would be worrying.
6. I have a lifetime of earning behind me - and no need to earn in front of me. Seems to me to be a very nice trade off to being young and broke. (nothing personal to anyone young and broke - been there, done that)
7. I have been married to a wonderful woman for 26+ years - I don't have to wonder if I will find the right person, I figure after 26 years together we pretty much are sure.
8. If there is a creaking noise, it doesn't necessarily mean something on the bike needs to be fixed. This saves worrying about the bike.
9. There are always workers around to move anything heavy. If my wife gets the desire to rearrange the furniture - I am too old to help. Heck, I am too old (so I say) to do much besides ride my bike and eat afterwards (and do experiments and instruct the troops)
10. I can accuse my basic ugliness on old age instead of genetics. I can now say with a straight face I once was handsome without people rolling on the floor laughing. Now they just show compassion. "Dude, sorry to hear about that - was it a really bad crash on the bike that messed up your face?"
"Old age only happens when regret replaces dreams."
-Some guy.

Sounds like that has yet to happen for you. By the way, it's a great accomplishment to be able to retire comfortably, with no need to keep earning, at 49
EthanYQX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 06:40 PM   #19
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout
 
crtreedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Costa Rica
Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem
Posts: 3,074
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankshaftYQX View Post
"Old age only happens when regret replaces dreams."
-Some guy.

Sounds like that has yet to happen for you. By the way, it's a great accomplishment to be able to retire comfortably, with no need to keep earning, at 49

Since I can no longer get by on my looks - it is a good thing. Only Chipcom can be a playboy pinup at this age...
crtreedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 07:33 PM   #20
white_feather
Shrek on a Trek
 
white_feather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Apartment in Willoughby
Bikes: 1996 Trek 730, 2008 Kona Eighty-Eight,
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am going to load the entire forum onto disks as a backup in case it happens again I can still look through everything.
white_feather is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:48 PM.