Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will the final season of BSG...

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • rock

    18 75.00%
  • suck

    1 4.17%
  • meh

    5 20.83%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    Gorntastic! v1k1ng1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States of Mexico
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Battlestar Galactica, final season starts April 4

    I am a huge fan of BSG but I thought the last season kind of sucked. Will the final season be , or ???


  2. #2
    Immoderator KrisPistofferson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    POS Tennessee
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed
    Posts
    7,636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will rock, but I am kind of baffled as to why they took such a successful, well-regarded show and decided to stop at four seasons, like they're the BBC or something.

    For the past couple years, I've been pretty religious about BSG and LOST, both of which have complex, sometimes season long story arcs and both shows simply refuse to insult the viewer's intelligence. Both are being cancelled after a fairly short run. I guess all the shows I like, from Monty Python to Farscape are too good to stay on for very long...

  3. #3
    Gorntastic! v1k1ng1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States of Mexico
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For sure one of the reasons is that the production costs escalate every season. I'm sure it's hard to keep all of those folks around once they start seeing offers roll in.

    Watch for Caprica to be a scaled-down prequel.

    Same crap has happened to Rome and Deadwood, two excellent HBO series. If they can't hold Dexter together on showtime, I'm gonna be upset.

  4. #4
    Gorntastic! v1k1ng1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States of Mexico
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
    It will rock, but I am kind of baffled as to why they took such a successful, well-regarded show and decided to stop at four seasons, like they're the BBC or something.

    For the past couple years, I've been pretty religious about BSG and LOST, both of which have complex, sometimes season long story arcs and both shows simply refuse to insult the viewer's intelligence. Both are being cancelled after a fairly short run. I guess all the shows I like, from Monty Python to Farscape are too good to stay on for very long...
    Btw, what did you think of the 3rd season?

  5. #5
    Immoderator KrisPistofferson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    POS Tennessee
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed
    Posts
    7,636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001 View Post
    Btw, what did you think of the 3rd season?
    I loved it, (thought first season was weakest.) Saul Tigh is probably my favorite character and i really liked that they finally showed why he was in the position he was and wasn't just a pathetic alcoholic. My least favorite part of the show, the stupid T&A shots where Balthar is interacting with the invisible Cylon, got scaled back in favor of some actual development and progress for both characters. The guy who plays Balthar has every actor's dream, an emotionally-conflicted, complex villain that everyone pities and hates at the same time. There were certain scenes I couldn't believe they televised, such as the attempted **** of Sharon and the President outlawing abortion. I guess it's true what Rod Serling talked about how you can tackle political issues if you put the science fiction mask on them.

  6. #6
    Squirrel solveg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Posts
    4,917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had never seen BSG until a few weeks ago... I hadn't caught it in the first season, and it always looked too hard to catch onto. But then a friend loaned me the DVDs, and I'm just smitten with the show.

    So who do you think is the 5th cylon?

    When I first started watching, I thought Starbuck would end up being a Cylon, but it would be too obvious right now.

    If you look at the other 4, they were all the "closest" people to those in power. The president's assistant, Adama, Starbuck, well--wait...I guess Chief isn't, so there goes that theory.

    They keep talking about how everything that is happening has happened before. Maybe it will end up that the humans are really cylons, but a previous version. So the 5th cylon would be everyone.

    I'm reminded of the "5th column", but can't remember what that refers to. Anyone remember?

  7. #7
    Gorntastic! v1k1ng1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States of Mexico
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
    I loved it, (thought first season was weakest.)
    I liked the first season the best. There were some weak spots but I was basically glued to the TV every episode. I thought season 3 was the worst, as if they didn't know exactly where to go after the New Caprica cliff hanger.


    Quote Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
    My least favorite part of the show, the stupid T&A shots where Balthar is interacting with the invisible Cylon, got scaled back in favor of some actual development and progress for both characters.
    I would agree with that. I get frustrated by six and Balthar but they did give that entire mess some purpose toward the end of season 3.

    Quote Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
    There were certain scenes I couldn't believe they televised, such as the attempted **** of Sharon and the President outlawing abortion. I guess it's true what Rod Serling talked about how you can tackle political issues if you put the science fiction mask on them.
    Yeah, some critic had said that BSG is the most important political television show currently on air. I do know that the entire Political Science department at Penn State watches it religiously.

  8. #8
    Gorntastic! v1k1ng1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States of Mexico
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    I had never seen BSG until a few weeks ago... I hadn't caught it in the first season, and it always looked too hard to catch onto. But then a friend loaned me the DVDs, and I'm just smitten with the show.
    everyone I know who has watched a few episodes loves it

    So who do you think is the 5th cylon?

    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    When I first started watching, I thought Starbuck would end up being a Cylon, but it would be too obvious right now.
    Jeez, I dunno what to think the way the last season ended. I just hope that it doesn't become a complete mess.

    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    I'm reminded of the "5th column", but can't remember what that refers to. Anyone remember?
    The colonists' religion subscribes to something like the eternal return and many references have been made to the notion that history endlessly repeats itself. This suggests that we might look for clues in the original series? There have been several loose parallels.

  9. #9
    Immoderator KrisPistofferson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    POS Tennessee
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed
    Posts
    7,636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am assuming there will be movies, either theatrical or TV.

    On a side note, Sci Fi can pretty much be relied upon to ruin it's best television shows, from MST3000 to Farscape. Trying to exert creative control, then making completely idiotic demands, or bizarre schedule changes, they are historically completely ridiculous. This will be the latest example. Heinous shows like Stargate are always safe, for some reason.

  10. #10
    Gorntastic! v1k1ng1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States of Mexico
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sci Fi needs to dump all of those crappy made-for-tv movies and start paying the bills.

  11. #11
    Immoderator KrisPistofferson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    POS Tennessee
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed
    Posts
    7,636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But God almighty, Sharon Valeri is my dream girl. She really is superhumanly attractive. http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpres...1-asian-girls/

  12. #12
    Senior Member z415's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Gainesville/Tampa, FL
    My Bikes
    Trek 1000, two mtbs and working on a fixie for commuting.
    Posts
    2,347
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will definitely rock due to the revelation(s) at the end.
    Falling is learning...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...learn to not fall in a box.
    Any good American will watch THIS -and- WHERE WAS MY BIKE MADE?

  13. #13
    Gorntastic! v1k1ng1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States of Mexico
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
    But God almighty, Sharon Valeri is my dream girl. She really is superhumanly attractive. http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpres...1-asian-girls/
    Yes! But I am totally on the Katee Sackhoff bandwagon.


  14. #14
    Gorntastic! v1k1ng1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States of Mexico
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    I had never seen BSG until a few weeks ago... I hadn't caught it in the first season, and it always looked too hard to catch onto. But then a friend loaned me the DVDs, and I'm just smitten with the show.

    So who do you think is the 5th cylon?

    When I first started watching, I thought Starbuck would end up being a Cylon, but it would be too obvious right now.

    If you look at the other 4, they were all the "closest" people to those in power. The president's assistant, Adama, Starbuck, well--wait...I guess Chief isn't, so there goes that theory.

    They keep talking about how everything that is happening has happened before. Maybe it will end up that the humans are really cylons, but a previous version. So the 5th cylon would be everyone.

    I'm reminded of the "5th column", but can't remember what that refers to. Anyone remember?
    Oh yeah, I totally forgot that you need to see Razor!

  15. #15
    Immoderator KrisPistofferson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    POS Tennessee
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed
    Posts
    7,636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Razor was good, I really enjoyed the Pegasus storyline, and it was good to see Admiral Cain again.

  16. #16
    Insomniac
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, California.
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.3 FX, for commuting.
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001 View Post
    Oh yeah, I totally forgot that you need to see Razor!
    I just saw Razor and was disappointed. Aside from finding Admiral Cain pretty boring, the actress that plays Apollo's XO was mediocre at best. :/

    SPOILERS:

    OH! And I wish they would have made the whole "I'm a lesbian lol" thing a bit more subtle. That scene where the Six discusses it with XO girl was unnecessary; I would have been way more interested if they just alluded to it. It also would have made her whole "I R ANGRY WOMAN" thing a bit more convincing as (unless I missed something, since I YouTubed it) the only suggested reason she went PEWPEWPEW was because her buttbuddy betrayed her.
    Last edited by Sahaquiel; 03-23-08 at 03:02 AM.

  17. #17
    Gorntastic! v1k1ng1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States of Mexico
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one of the nice things about being on a show like this is that even if you stink you can go on to make a fortune at sci fi conventions, especially if you're a cute woman

  18. #18
    cat person GlassWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    N.W. Michigan
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Race SIS (1987), Kestrel Talon (2007), Trek Fuel EX 9.5 (2007)
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001 View Post
    For sure one of the reasons is that the production costs escalate every season. I'm sure it's hard to keep all of those folks around once they start seeing offers roll in.

    Watch for Caprica to be a scaled-down prequel.

    Same crap has happened to Rome and Deadwood, two excellent HBO series. If they can't hold Dexter together on showtime, I'm gonna be upset.
    +1 on HBO series.
    Also it's nothing to do with production costs. It's the same story that killed Firefly, B5, and every other stellarly good SciFi show. The networks are always looking for the next "Star Trek" blockbuster popularity, money making machine, and when it doesn't explode in the first season and make them as much money as some gay reality show, they can it or sabotage it so badly that it can't survive.
    Truth be told though, accurate to history, Star Trek bombed, too. It didn't really resurge in popularity until it was petitioned to to be returned by the fans.

    I'd still like to stab the NBC exec in the neck, who tanked Firefly, and let it be replaced with that abyssmal show "Fastlane."
    GlassWolf
    Organ Donors Save Lives.

  19. #19
    Squirrel solveg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Posts
    4,917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001 View Post
    Oh yeah, I totally forgot that you need to see Razor!
    Razor? I don't know about razor. I'll check it out when I get to Kansas.

    There's supposed to be a series of online mini-shows on the sci fi channel website that fill in the blanks between seasons 2 and 3, too. I haven't gone looking for them.

  20. #20
    Senior Member late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    8,290
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought Razor and wish I hadn't. It's not bad, but feels too much like a rehash of stuff they've done at least a couple times before. Plus the plot line was their favorite (redemption.. c'mon guys, there are other themes)

    I loved the first season to death. The second season was good, would have bought it too if they hadn't split it up into two boxes to make more money.
    I caught a couple episodes of the third and decided to wait to see it on dvd.

    Just fyi, I have a cheap Oppo dvd player feeding into your basic 420p widescreen TV.
    Nothing exotic, but the Oppo has a chip that makes the picture look a little better, and the picture quality on dvd is worth mentioning. So I did.
    http://www.oppodigital.com/

    The overarching plot of BG, like Voyager before it, was borrowed from the Odyssey. Nothing wrong with that. Works best if you go for a few years, and get to the destination. It already shows signs of being dragged out.

    The series should go out with a bang. I am looking forward to seeing it without commercials or reruns.. on dvd.
    We are as gods, we might as well get good at it.
    Stewart Brand

  21. #21
    blithering idiot jhota's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    beautiful coastal South Carolina
    My Bikes
    1991 Trek 930, 2005 Bianchi Eros, 2006 Nashbar "X," IRO Rob Roy
    Posts
    1,263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i voted "meh." because i've not watched it since the miniseries. it just didn't capture my interest - i love the classic show, campy though it was at times, but couldn't get into this one.

    so when it goes off the air, i probably won't even notice.

  22. #22
    Gorntastic! v1k1ng1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States of Mexico
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    +1 on HBO series.
    Also it's nothing to do with production costs. It's the same story that killed Firefly, B5, and every other stellarly good SciFi show. The networks are always looking for the next "Star Trek" blockbuster popularity, money making machine, and when it doesn't explode in the first season and make them as much money as some gay reality show, they can it or sabotage it so badly that it can't survive.
    Truth be told though, accurate to history, Star Trek bombed, too. It didn't really resurge in popularity until it was petitioned to to be returned by the fans.

    I'd still like to stab the NBC exec in the neck, who tanked Firefly, and let it be replaced with that abyssmal show "Fastlane."
    I never liked ds9 and voyager stunk. But I really liked Enterprise. It's too bad that show was sunk by the failures of prior series.

  23. #23
    phony collective progress x136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Hoosey
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/user/36663
    Posts
    2,983
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    I'd still like to stab the Fox exec in the neck, who tanked Firefly
    Correction. Sentiment shared, though.

    I keep hearing good things about Battlestar Galactica, but I haven't seen a second of it, original series, miniseries, or new series. Maybe once it's over, I'll pick up the DVDs and watch it straight through.

  24. #24
    blithering idiot jhota's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    beautiful coastal South Carolina
    My Bikes
    1991 Trek 930, 2005 Bianchi Eros, 2006 Nashbar "X," IRO Rob Roy
    Posts
    1,263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001 View Post
    I never liked ds9 and voyager stunk. But I really liked Enterprise. It's too bad that show was sunk by the failures of prior series.
    and i think DS9 was the best of all the Treks: but you had to like the characters, as they never changed. at least TOS and TNG went somewhere every week.

    Voyager was iffy, but i never understood the love folks have for Enterprise. the visual design turned me off, and the writing was a bit flaky. good cast, though.

  25. #25
    Senior Member late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    8,290
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhota View Post
    good cast, though.
    Star Trek needs excellent actors to create and maintain the illusion.
    Scott Bakula didn't have what it takes, IMHO. I had several people complain to
    me about him.

    Other than that, I liked the series a lot until they decided to jazz it up with the Xindi. As a race and as a plot device, I liked the Xindi. But the grim apocalyptic
    character of the situation seemed to suck the life out of the series. A good cook knows when to stop adding spice.
    We are as gods, we might as well get good at it.
    Stewart Brand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •