Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-24-08, 10:44 AM   #1
botto 
.
Thread Starter
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What am I missing here?

Renee Zellweger.

Reasonably talented actress. No doubt.

Well cast in Jerry MaGuire and the Bridget Jones Diaries, amongst others. No doubt.

Consistently cast as the attractive leading lady? Explain.



botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 10:45 AM   #2
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side
 
CyLowe97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago(ish)
Bikes:
Posts: 6,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hair and Makeup people are ARTISTS.

And miracle workers.

Here's the site you need.

And before this derails into Why Do Women Have To Wear Makeup? That's not what it's about. It's about Hollywood. They all wear makeup. Even the guys. I mean, Depp and that eyeliner in Pirates?

BTW, Zellweger was perfectly cast in Cold Mountain, but nowhere deserved an Oscar, let alone a nomination.

Last edited by CyLowe97; 03-24-08 at 10:50 AM.
CyLowe97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 10:52 AM   #3
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hollywood sells fantasies, not reality.
And they do a really good job of it.
Same goes for all the fashion crap in magazines.
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 10:56 AM   #4
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We all have our good and bad moments. (sadly, I am still waiting for my good ones) Have you not watched the "two face" episode of Seinfeld?
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 10:58 AM   #5
roadfix
hello
 
roadfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 18,588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I'll take Anne Archer of 20 years ago any day....
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 10:58 AM   #6
botto 
.
Thread Starter
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyLowe97 View Post
Hair and Makeup people are ARTISTS.

And miracle workers.

Here's the site you need.

And before this derails into Why Do Women Have To Wear Makeup? That's not what it's about. It's about Hollywood. They all wear makeup. Even the guys. I mean, Depp and that eyeliner in Pirates?

BTW, Zellweger was perfectly cast in Cold Mountain, but nowhere deserved an Oscar, let alone a nomination.
even with hair and makeup, i still find her pretty unattractive.

those squinty eyes, tiny mouth, and round face make her look like a pimple ready to be popped.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 10:58 AM   #7
botto 
.
Thread Starter
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I'll take Anne Archer of 20 years ago any day....
+1
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 11:03 AM   #8
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botto View Post
even with hair and makeup, i still find her pretty unattractive.

those squinty eyes, tiny mouth, and round face make her look like a pimple ready to be popped.
so she looks like this to you?

__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 11:04 AM   #9
botto 
.
Thread Starter
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
so she looks like this to you?

just about.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 11:05 AM   #10
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side
 
CyLowe97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago(ish)
Bikes:
Posts: 6,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botto View Post
even with hair and makeup, i still find her pretty unattractive.
Why must a leading lady be attractive? It's much in the eye of the beholder, no?

While I don't find Zellweger particularly attractive, I do see why she would appeal to others. I could name several leading ladies I find attractive, but they would be a blip on the Attractive Leading Lady scale to someone else.
CyLowe97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 11:06 AM   #11
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Angelina Jolie does very little for me. Nor do many of the women whom plastic surgery has turned into pouty lipped cat women.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 11:08 AM   #12
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,264
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
She actually looks a little strange all glammed up and I think her greatest appeal is that she looks like the pretty girl next door.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 11:09 AM   #13
botto 
.
Thread Starter
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyLowe97 View Post
Why must a leading lady be attractive? It's much in the eye of the beholder, no?

While I don't find Zellweger particularly attractive, I do see why she would appeal to others. I could name several leading ladies I find attractive, but they would be a blip on the Attractive Leading Lady scale to someone else.
if it's a role like briget jones, it doesn't matter.

if it's a role like she apparently has in leatherheads, it does.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 11:12 AM   #14
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Airbrushing and make up go a long way...

Which is why many of us look at our photos and go 'eewwww'. We can't possibly hope to look that good, because we haven't been prepped.

We're just human folks, after all.

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 11:13 AM   #15
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side
 
CyLowe97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago(ish)
Bikes:
Posts: 6,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botto View Post
if it's a role like she apparently has in leatherheads, it does.
She's fine it that role. It's a farcical throwback football movie from the goofy commercials I've seen, not The English Patient.
CyLowe97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 11:15 AM   #16
carbonlife
carbon positive lifestyle
 
carbonlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Heart of Darkness
Bikes: I got a red bike, and I got an orange bike.
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah I never understood Renee Zellweger, Minnie Driver, and Cameron Diaz getting leading roles. I don't get Drew Barrymore either. All reasonably talented, but if the girls get to see George Clooney and Brad Pitt, we want our leading ladies to be hot too.

My current favorites to see on the screen are Jessica Biel, Katherine Heigl, and Rachel McAdams.
carbonlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 11:17 AM   #17
snowy
Beauty Everywhere
 
snowy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Bikes: 2006 Giant Anthem, Specialized Dolce Elite 05
Posts: 2,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No makeup for me. Can't really stand the stuff on my face after racing my bike and sweating for the last two hours or so.

Its too bad that women feel the need to cover themselves up in makeup. I love it when I go to the gym and girls walk in with makeup. I just have to ask "REALLY?"
__________________
"RIDE FAST TAKE CHANCES!"

Interested in the Women's Forum? Send me a PM for more information.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 11:17 AM   #18
botto 
.
Thread Starter
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyLowe97 View Post
She's fine it that role. It's a farcical throwback football movie from the goofy commercials I've seen, not The English Patient.
ok. fine.

apparently my issue is with the marketing department, and her nutritionist.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 11:18 AM   #19
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy View Post
No makeup for me. Can't really stand the stuff on my face after racing my bike and sweating for the last two hours or so.

Its too bad that women feel the need to cover themselves up in makeup. I love it when I go to the gym and girls walk in with makeup. I just have to ask "REALLY?"
If I weren't married, I'd propose to you right now, just off this one post.
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 11:19 AM   #20
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side
 
CyLowe97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago(ish)
Bikes:
Posts: 6,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonlife View Post
Yeah I never understood Renee Zellweger, Minnie Driver, and Cameron Diaz getting leading roles. I don't get Drew Barrymore either. All reasonably talented, but if the girls get to see George Clooney and Brad Pitt, we want our leading ladies to be hot too.

My current favorites to see on the screen are Jessica Biel, Katherine Heigl, and Rachel McAdams.
This is where the debate will rage and it's all opinion from here on out.
CyLowe97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 11:21 AM   #21
snowy
Beauty Everywhere
 
snowy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Bikes: 2006 Giant Anthem, Specialized Dolce Elite 05
Posts: 2,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
If I weren't married, I'd propose to you right now, just off this one post.

Bummer for me
__________________
"RIDE FAST TAKE CHANCES!"

Interested in the Women's Forum? Send me a PM for more information.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 11:26 AM   #22
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonlife View Post
Yeah I never understood Renee Zellweger, Minnie Driver, and Cameron Diaz getting leading roles. I don't get Drew Barrymore either. All reasonably talented, but if the girls get to see George Clooney and Brad Pitt, we want our leading ladies to be hot too.

My current favorites to see on the screen are Jessica Biel, Katherine Heigl, and Rachel McAdams.
Probably to appeal to those of us who don't find the girl next door look attractive. I would take Drew over Jessica or Rachel any day.

I will take the wild child attitude and look (even though its still vanilla'ed) anyday.

Oh and Renee and Nicole kidman have always confused my sense of personality. Neither do anything for me in most movies they have made. (in fact more often than not they annoy me)
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 11:29 AM   #23
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyLowe97 View Post
This is where the debate will rage and it's all opinion from here on out.
Yep
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 11:30 AM   #24
carbonlife
carbon positive lifestyle
 
carbonlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Heart of Darkness
Bikes: I got a red bike, and I got an orange bike.
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy View Post
No makeup for me.

Its too bad that women feel the need to cover themselves up in makeup.
I've never been attracted to a woman who wore a lot of makeup. I'd be scared of what they looked like in the morning.

Nothing better than to wake up in the morning and see your sweetie looking beautiful with absolutely no makeup.
carbonlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 11:33 AM   #25
snowy
Beauty Everywhere
 
snowy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Bikes: 2006 Giant Anthem, Specialized Dolce Elite 05
Posts: 2,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonlife View Post
I've never been attracted to a woman who wore a lot of makeup. I'd be scared of what they looked like in the morning.

Nothing better than to wake up in the morning and see your sweetie looking beautiful with absolutely no makeup.
Lucky for me I was born with dark features, so never really been a need for makeup

Actually most of the girls I hang with don't wear makeup. Hmmm that's interesting. Probably cause we like dirt on us more!! HEE HEE
__________________
"RIDE FAST TAKE CHANCES!"

Interested in the Women's Forum? Send me a PM for more information.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:00 AM.