Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

Thread: Power run amok

  1. #1
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,067
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Power run amok

    Ah yes, Finca Leola (our reforestation company) has been growing very rapidly this year. It seems a day can't go by without buying something. I don't normally even like the idea of buying things - but there are exceptions.

    One is - machinary. Well, we have a lot of work to do that requires.... wait for it... a backhoe. It is hard to get one to come over, and then they want at least a week's worth of work. Well, we just located a very good one (4 wheel drive no less), 2003 for 42,000 dollars - which is a steal. We had our mechanic check it all - it looks very, very good.

    You guys can have your fancy titanium bikes - I will have a backhoe Friday. The world is not going to be safe - you do know that, right?

    There is so much demand for a backhoe too that with the backhoe we are hiring a full-time operator. The backhoe will pay for itself in between 6 to 8 months I figure.

    I can't believe I am going to have a backhoe to play with - that has to be the ultimate toy...

  2. #2
    Villainous huerro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Austin
    My Bikes
    Trek 420, Cyclops
    Posts
    1,894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    a young crtreedude at play.

  3. #3
    Tom (ex)Builder twahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Manassas, VA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez
    Posts
    2,814
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does a backhoe operator make enough money to support a family of four in Costa Rica?
    Tom

    "It hurts so good..."

  4. #4
    Lanky Lass East Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Posts
    21,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twahl View Post
    Does a backhoe operator make enough money to support a family of four in Costa Rica?

    Cost of living is MUCH lower in CR...

    East Hill
    ___________________________________________________
    TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...

  5. #5
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,083
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Does this mean you are now a backpimp?
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  6. #6
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,067
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twahl View Post
    Does a backhoe operator make enough money to support a family of four in Costa Rica?
    Yes - they do very well. What is interesting is that my wife and I added up (tis tax time you know) how much we actually spend on ourselves - aside from travel and other business related things, we spend less than the people who run our various parts of the business make.

    Our life style is very similar to middle class Ticos. It is very cheap to live here if you live like the Ticos. Now, if you want to live like a Gringo - it might actually be more expensive.

  7. #7
    The quieter you become... Falkon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    My Bikes
    1973 Raleigh Superbe, 2006 Trek 4300 with no original parts, 1984 Ciocc, Custom Keith Anderson
    Posts
    1,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    niiiiiice. Looks like business is moving right along. Did the other guy from CR ever contact you? He said his company had worked with yours. I gave him your e-mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechKnowGN
    San Jose has to be the most boring place I've ever been. And I live in Ohio.

  8. #8
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,067
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huerro View Post


    a young crtreedude at play.
    Nice picture! I think we need to make one of those!

  9. #9
    The quieter you become... Falkon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    My Bikes
    1973 Raleigh Superbe, 2006 Trek 4300 with no original parts, 1984 Ciocc, Custom Keith Anderson
    Posts
    1,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
    Yes - they do very well. What is interesting is that my wife and I added up (tis tax time you know) how much we actually spend on ourselves - aside from travel and other business related things, we spend less than the people who run our various parts of the business make.

    Our life style is very similar to middle class Ticos. It is very cheap to live here if you live like the Ticos. Now, if you want to live like a Gringo - it might actually be more expensive.
    elaborate on this. What is living like Ticos?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechKnowGN
    San Jose has to be the most boring place I've ever been. And I live in Ohio.

  10. #10
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,067
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Falkon View Post
    niiiiiice. Looks like business is moving right along. Did the other guy from CR ever contact you? He said his company had worked with yours. I gave him your e-mail.
    Really? When did you tell him to contact me? I get lots of correspondance so it might have been someone.

  11. #11
    Tom (ex)Builder twahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Manassas, VA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez
    Posts
    2,814
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
    Cost of living is MUCH lower in CR...

    East Hill
    Yeah, but it'd be a bear to try to replace my wife's income, not to mention talk her into moving to Costa Rica. Of course if I approached it right ("Honey, you've brought home the bacon long enough, and since I want to that burden off your shoulders, I've found an opportunity for me to be able to make us as good a living as you do. We're moving to Costa Rica.") I could maybe pull it off. But she's got a Master's in Network Security, a clearance higher than the Pope, and 20 years of experience in the field. It's going to be tough to match that, even in the relative terms of Costa Rica. I had to ask.
    Tom

    "It hurts so good..."

  12. #12
    Blasted Weeds Tude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
    Posts
    1,183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  13. #13
    Kicked out of the Webelos bluebottle1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
    You guys can have your fancy titanium bikes - I will have a backhoe Friday. The world is not going to be safe - you do know that, right?
    Be afraid.

    Be very afraid.

    ______________________________________________

    Kicked out of the Webelos.

  14. #14
    Squirrelly Member trsidn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
    Posts
    226
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tude View Post
    Demetri Martin is hilarious....
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Yet more proof that I'm.. well, pretty much right about everything.

  15. #15
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,067
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twahl View Post
    Yeah, but it'd be a bear to try to replace my wife's income, not to mention talk her into moving to Costa Rica. Of course if I approached it right ("Honey, you've brought home the bacon long enough, and since I want to that burden off your shoulders, I've found an opportunity for me to be able to make us as good a living as you do. We're moving to Costa Rica.") I could maybe pull it off. But she's got a Master's in Network Security, a clearance higher than the Pope, and 20 years of experience in the field. It's going to be tough to match that, even in the relative terms of Costa Rica. I had to ask.
    I hate to encourage you but... I worked in Costa Rica as an consultant for companies all over the world. When we decided it was time to move here, I walked into the VP of engineerings office and said I was leaving in 3 months to Costa Rica. He said, "Does that mean you are quiting?" I said, "Only if you stop paying me" He walked me down to HR who took from me the details of where to send the checks...

    If she is that good, she can work anywhere - and my work was VERY sensitive. I was a world expert in recording people's phone calls.

    Living Tico means that you don't have a huge home, you eat the local stuff (instead of imported food) and you don't think shopping is a sport.

    You also pay for everything with cash instead of running up credit cards. And you pay for your house cash - and live in the size of house you can afford.

    The secret to getting your wife to love it here is simple. Full-time housekeeper and cook. This would be under 400 dollars a month. Not exactly like living as a Tico, but if she is working, she deserves it.

  16. #16
    The quieter you become... Falkon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    My Bikes
    1973 Raleigh Superbe, 2006 Trek 4300 with no original parts, 1984 Ciocc, Custom Keith Anderson
    Posts
    1,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post

    Living Tico means that you don't have a huge home, you eat the local stuff (instead of imported food) and you don't think shopping is a sport.

    You also pay for everything with cash instead of running up credit cards. And you pay for your house cash - and live in the size of house you can afford.

    The secret to getting your wife to love it here is simple. Full-time housekeeper and cook. This would be under 400 dollars a month. Not exactly like living as a Tico, but if she is working, she deserves it.
    That doesn't sound much different than what I do right now. No credit cards. Forgive me if this sounds extremely ignorant, but are there paved roads in the city portions?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechKnowGN
    San Jose has to be the most boring place I've ever been. And I live in Ohio.

  17. #17
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,067
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Falkon View Post
    That doesn't sound much different than what I do right now. No credit cards. Forgive me if this sounds extremely ignorant, but are there paved roads in the city portions?
    Yep - and we even have them out here on main roads - the really positive thing is the nearest traffic light is 60 kilometers away. (yes, that would be nearly 40 miles!) I love not having to touch the brakes...

    Those who come here expecting to have the USA cheaper are very disappointed. Those who come to enjoy nature, the climate and the people tend to have a really good time.

    Come down as an "Ugly American" and I promise you will suffer.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Construction equipment looks fun. Too bad no one will let me near any.
    Give me a bulldozer, a back hoe, a monster dump truck, a crane, etc... fun times will be had by....me.

    Or just give me a jackhammer.

  19. #19
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,067
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was about 15, there was a huge snow storm in Rochester NY and my brother and I rented a small bulldozer to clear the parking lot. You have no idea how much fun it is to run a bulldozer till you do. Can you imagine now someone renting a bulldozer to two teenagers? What were they thinking?! (they were thinking we had money...)

  20. #20
    The quieter you become... Falkon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    My Bikes
    1973 Raleigh Superbe, 2006 Trek 4300 with no original parts, 1984 Ciocc, Custom Keith Anderson
    Posts
    1,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
    Yep - and we even have them out here on main roads - the really positive thing is the nearest traffic light is 60 kilometers away. (yes, that would be nearly 40 miles!) I love not having to touch the brakes...

    Those who come here expecting to have the USA cheaper are very disappointed. Those who come to enjoy nature, the climate and the people tend to have a really good time.

    Come down as an "Ugly American" and I promise you will suffer.
    Hey, as long as I can longboard, ride a bike, and occasionally use the internet, I'm happy. I just thought of how easy it would be to do organic gardening. I bet it's super easy to get composted material.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechKnowGN
    San Jose has to be the most boring place I've ever been. And I live in Ohio.

  21. #21
    Wood Licker Maelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Whistler,BC
    My Bikes
    Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
    Posts
    16,888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, if you were me, I would see a dirtjump set in my future ..

    congrats

  22. #22
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,067
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    Man, if you were me, I would see a dirtjump set in my future ..

    congrats
    Man, don't get me started - can you imagine the MTB trails I could make with this bad boy...?!

  23. #23
    Wood Licker Maelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Whistler,BC
    My Bikes
    Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
    Posts
    16,888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
    Man, don't get me started - can you imagine the MTB trails I could make with this bad boy...?!
    I can imagine yes.

    Well actually it would be very poor at making trails, it would make em to damn wide to be any fun ...dj trails and pump tracks hmmm hmm good though

  24. #24
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,067
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, there is too parts to the backhoe, you don't have to use the wide bucket, you can use the shovel. But, being semi-old, I don't mind wide paths... Nothing nicer than zooming through the plantations just after we have graded all the roads.

  25. #25
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,628
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
    Man, don't get me started - can you imagine the MTB trails I could make with this bad boy...?!
    BMX track! Think of the burms, the whoop-de-doos and the ramps you could build. Get some cheap used bikes shipped in from here in the US and let the kids have at it. Would be a blast to watch them, and their parents would probably be quite thankful to you for giving the kids such an outlet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •