Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Weston, FL
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Posts
    2,170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Hmm should I get a XK or a Nano?

    If you have not heard Ford sold off Jaguar and Range Rover to Tata Motors of India the makers of the Nano car. Should be interesting to see what this does to resale value.

    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/877ad6aa-f...077b07658.html
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

    2013 Noah RS

  2. #2
    Mmmmm Donuts! FatguyRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Crownsville, MD
    My Bikes
    1998 IF Crown Jewel
    Posts
    2,069
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I waiting to see how long it will take for Jeremy Clarkson to recover from his heart attack after reading the news.
    John

    '09 Cannondale CAAD9 - Team Latitude/ABRT Special.
    '04 Lemond Victorie Ti
    '98 IF Crown Jewel (dead)
    '92 Trek2100 (TT)
    '50 something Gino Bartali (fixer)
    '02 Ducati ST4s (Moto-Ref mount)

    My Blog

  3. #3
    OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Weston, FL
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Posts
    2,170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is some irony in an Indian firm buying two historical British cars. Next we will see the Chinese buy Toyota
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

    2013 Noah RS

  4. #4
    JF1
    JF1 is offline
    Senior Member JF1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaysville, Utah
    My Bikes
    2006 Giant OCR 3 Composite
    Posts
    544
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd View Post
    If you have not heard Ford sold off Jaguar and Range Rover to Tata Motors of India the makers of the Nano car. Should be interesting to see what this does to resale value.

    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/877ad6aa-f...077b07658.html
    It sure isn't going to hurt Range Rover since just about every quality report I've seen for the past 10 years or so has them ranked dead last or nearly so.
    J
    Good times.

  5. #5
    JF1
    JF1 is offline
    Senior Member JF1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaysville, Utah
    My Bikes
    2006 Giant OCR 3 Composite
    Posts
    544
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FatguyRacer View Post
    I waiting to see how long it will take for Jeremy Clarkson to recover from his heart attack after reading the news.
    As controversial as Clarkson is, he's the only reason I watch Top Gear.
    J
    Good times.

  6. #6
    carbon positive lifestyle carbonlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Heart of Darkness
    My Bikes
    I got a red bike, and I got an orange bike.
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd View Post
    There is some irony in an Indian firm buying two historical British cars.
    Wow, hadn't thought of that. Just some irony? My, what's become of the British Empire?!

    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd View Post
    Next we will see the Chinese buy Toyota
    Obviously not likely. Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if a Chinese company attempts to buy an American car company. Wasn't Chrysler spun off to an investment group (always willing to entertain offers)?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    998
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard the Chinese company, Chery, will be selling cars under its own name this year, or under a rebadged name.

    I don't know much about their cars, but I do know their quality of manufacture has gone up by major leaps and bounds since the first ill-fated QQs.

  8. #8
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,117
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I was expecting this to be about portable music players. In a round about way it is.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  9. #9
    carbon positive lifestyle carbonlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Heart of Darkness
    My Bikes
    I got a red bike, and I got an orange bike.
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
    I don't know much about their cars, but I do know their quality of manufacture has gone up by major leaps and bounds since the first ill-fated QQs.
    I know I'll never buy a commie car in my lifetime, but the scary thing is that China requires foreign car companies who build factories in China to partner with a Chinese company, so basically all these car companies desperate to get into the Chinese market are accelerating their inevitable demise by sharing their manufacturing know-how with the next great superpower.

  10. #10
    OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Weston, FL
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Posts
    2,170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those who have not seen the Nano 100,000 rupees = $2,500. Its meant to be a replacement for all of the skooters and took tooks out there. Actually a pretty smart idea, but it is billed as the worlds cheapest car. Not exactly the branding jaguar or land rover owners want.

    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

    2013 Noah RS

  11. #11
    Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,676
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd View Post
    For those who have not seen the Nano 100,000 rupees = $2,500. Its meant to be a replacement for all of the skooters and took tooks out there. Actually a pretty smart idea, but it is billed as the worlds cheapest car. Not exactly the branding jaguar or land rover owners want.

    Gawd, that is small. I doubt 2 typical overweight Americans could even fit into the front seats.
    Would be a lot of fun to watch them try though.
    1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold

  12. #12
    Gorntastic! v1k1ng1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States of Mexico
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    Gawd, that is small. I doubt 2 typical overweight Americans could even fit into the front seats.
    Would be a lot of fun to watch them try though.
    After peak oil drives up food and gas prices, slimmed down Americans will all be driving nanos.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    998
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonlife View Post
    I know I'll never buy a commie car in my lifetime, but the scary thing is that China requires foreign car companies who build factories in China to partner with a Chinese company, so basically all these car companies desperate to get into the Chinese market are accelerating their inevitable demise by sharing their manufacturing know-how with the next great superpower.
    What is sad is that US companies happily do this because it gets them slightly ahead in the quarter to quarter to earnings reports, which is what all that seems to matter these days.

    I wonder when the Aptera will become commercialy available -- if all goes south in the oil industry, having a plug in hybrid that can hang in the fast lane and do 0-60 faster than my current ride is good.

    If I had to buy something as dinky as a Nano, I'd just buy a motorcycle with a detachable sidecar.
    Last edited by mlts22; 03-28-08 at 09:04 PM.

  14. #14
    phony collective progress x136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Hoosey
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/user/36663
    Posts
    2,983
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So some random Indian company owns Jaguar and Land Rover. Their previous owner was Ford. The bar was already set pretty low for those two.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •