Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: GeForce 8600GT

  1. #1
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    GeForce 8600GT

    Any thoughts on video cards based on this? I am looking for a reasonably priced video card which allow allow me to play some better games. Also, my computer is the only way I can watch any movies, as I don't have a TV/DVD player. So, it would be nice to have an improved movie watching experience. Currently I use onboard video.
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

  2. #2
    Crushing souls Hickeydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sagamore Hills, Ohio.
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500
    Posts
    1,591
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, any sort of video card will be better than onboard. If you have the cash, go up to an 8800 GTS. You can get them for under $150. Also, make sure that your motherboard has a PCI-e x16 slot. An 8600 GT will do most things pretty well, but if your looking to play Crysis, that aint going to happen with an 8600. I would go up to an 8800 if you have the extra cash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post

    What's frightening is how coherent Hickey was in posting that.

  3. #3
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any card will be massively better. I haven't been following video cards lately but just a few months ago the 8600GT was considered a hell of a bargain.

    You get what you pay for and whatever you buy will cost half as much next year and be replaced by something twice as fast.

    Thus, if its in your budget today, i say go for it. You probably wont be disappointed.

  4. #4
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea,the 8600 is definitely within my budget. I'm checking out the 8800GS cards on Newegg, I can afford these, but that's more money than I want to throw at my setup. I am not a hardcore gamer by any means, and I definitely do not demand cutting edge graphics. But, it's getting to the point where onboard just isn't cutting it anymore. I want to play games which are not the newest releases, but simply will not run with onboard. Also, onboard isn't handling solidworks well at all.

    In particular, I am strongly considering this card:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127286

    It comes overclocked from the factory, which is certainly cool. It comes with a copy of The Witcher; I've been looking for an rpg, so I guess this one would suffice.
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

  5. #5
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, one concern is noise. I have gone to some decent lengths to make my computer quiet. Do these video cards come with tiny whining fans? If so, I may also need to factor in a quieter heatsink into my budget.
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

  6. #6
    Unique Vintage Steel cuda2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Allen, TX
    My Bikes
    Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Schwinn Crosscut, All-City Space Horse
    Posts
    11,493
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an MSI branded 8600 (I think its the GTS), slight factory overclock, runs everything I want to run on it.

    edit: MSI has several versions of the 8600GT that are fanless

  7. #7
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I should throw in one more thing: I need 1680x1050 resolution. Well, reviews indicate that this card certainly wont be able to allow me to run graphics with the highest detail at this resolution, but that games will be playable. I'll think about this one for a few more hours.
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

  8. #8
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How in the world are you running games with onboard videos at that res?

    The 8600 will be an improvement by leaps and bounds.

  9. #9
    phony collective progress x136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Hoosey
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/user/36663
    Posts
    2,958
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a fanless 8600GT in my computer, driving a 1920x1200 display. No games, though, so I can't say how it handles that kind of thing.

  10. #10
    was kung-fu fighting lodi781's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    My Bikes
    '00 schwinn moab disk/06 specialized stumpy fsr expert, 06 look565
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    8800 nforce in my cpu. ( Just Built) Love it....
    " The love you withhold is the pain you carry, lifetime after lifetime."

  11. #11
    The quieter you become... Falkon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    My Bikes
    1973 Raleigh Superbe, 2006 Trek 4300 with no original parts, 1984 Ciocc, Custom Keith Anderson
    Posts
    1,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 8600GT OC from BFG. It plays like a dream.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechKnowGN
    San Jose has to be the most boring place I've ever been. And I live in Ohio.

  12. #12
    I can't find my pants mirona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UMASS, Amherst/ Swick, MA
    My Bikes
    07 Specialized Langster Comp,06 Kona King Zing, 06 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; 03 LOOK KG461;(destroyed by suv); 85 Panasonic Team America; 73 Peugeot U0-8; 94 Balance Super B BMX; 04 Diamondback Outlook MTB, Diamondback DBR DH
    Posts
    2,331
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't believe that you're using onboard video and playing games! That 8600GT isn't going to be able to run many games from the last couple years on full settings for that resolution (although a lot of games will require you to tweak your config files to get that res anyway). That MSI is a decent card. I've always been partial to the EVGA branded cards myself.

    I just picked up an 8800GTX and am going to pick up another for SLI. Crysis is playable at 1920x1200 on very high and cinematic on high. I need more, dammit!

    Just curious, what size monitor are you running?

  13. #13
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, the games I play are all 2003 Oh, I did play age of empires 3 for a while, but this is not a demanding game by any means! That is about how hardcore of a gamer I am

    My monitor is a 22" WS. I bought that MSI card. The selling point, as well as the fact it comes overclocked, is that it includes a copy of the THe Witcher. Having skimmed several reviews, it appears that the general consensus is that this card is the ideal choice for respectable performance at relatively low cost. THis is where I feel my needs are.
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

  14. #14
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mirona View Post
    I can't believe that you're using onboard video and playing games! That 8600GT isn't going to be able to run many games from the last couple years on full settings for that resolution (although a lot of games will require you to tweak your config files to get that res anyway). That MSI is a decent card. I've always been partial to the EVGA branded cards myself.

    I don't mind not having things on the full settings. I recently have acquired EAX compatible hardware, so that's cool enough for me
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

  15. #15
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mirona View Post
    I can't believe that you're using onboard video and playing games! That 8600GT isn't going to be able to run many games from the last couple years on full settings for that resolution (although a lot of games will require you to tweak your config files to get that res anyway). That MSI is a decent card. I've always been partial to the EVGA branded cards myself.

    I just picked up an 8800GTX and am going to pick up another for SLI. Crysis is playable at 1920x1200 on very high and cinematic on high. I need more, dammit!

    Just curious, what size monitor are you running?
    There are very few cards out there that can run the most recent games at any reasonable res @ full settings.

  16. #16
    The quieter you become... Falkon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    My Bikes
    1973 Raleigh Superbe, 2006 Trek 4300 with no original parts, 1984 Ciocc, Custom Keith Anderson
    Posts
    1,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyquest View Post
    There are very few cards out there that can run the most recent games at any reasonable res @ full settings.
    The newest games have ridiculous requirements, much like the newest operating systems.
    I have no problems with my card and my [omg single core] system. I just play BF2142, WoW [occasionally] and TF2.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechKnowGN
    San Jose has to be the most boring place I've ever been. And I live in Ohio.

  17. #17
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Falkon View Post
    The newest games have ridiculous requirements, much like the newest operating systems.
    I have no problems with my card and my [omg single core] system. I just play BF2142, WoW [occasionally] and TF2.
    There are very few, if any (?), dual threaded video games. That is not where the dual or quad cores shine. I promise you, aside from every-day-multitasking, my dual core CPU is of great use when editing photographs or encoding media files as i often do. That said, because a dual core systems cost as much, if not less, you have no reason not to get them. But the fact that your single core system can run video games has a lot less to do with your CPU and more to do with your video card...

  18. #18
    Gorntastic! v1k1ng1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States of Mexico
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the mobile version of the 8600 gt. I play Tf2 with all setting on high and it handles compiz effects with ease.

    If you want some high end gaming snort, you'll have to spend more cash I suspect.

  19. #19
    Body By Nintendo Psydotek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.
    Posts
    3,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can, go up to at least either a 9600GT (~$170) or an 8800GT (~$220). Either will be significantly better than an 8600GT.

    The 8800GT has one of the best performance/dollar ratios around with performance almost dead even as the 8800GTX.

    I have a dual 8800GT SLI setup and i can run just about everything in 1680x1050 at a playable framerate. I haven't picked up Crysis yet, but Bioshock runs perfectly. Only Supreme Commander causes the framerate to drop when you've got over 1k units on the screen...
    Last edited by Psydotek; 03-31-08 at 01:19 PM.

    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.

  20. #20
    I can't find my pants mirona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UMASS, Amherst/ Swick, MA
    My Bikes
    07 Specialized Langster Comp,06 Kona King Zing, 06 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; 03 LOOK KG461;(destroyed by suv); 85 Panasonic Team America; 73 Peugeot U0-8; 94 Balance Super B BMX; 04 Diamondback Outlook MTB, Diamondback DBR DH
    Posts
    2,331
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psydotek View Post
    The 8800GT has one of the best performance/dollar ratios around with performance almost dead even as the 8800GTX.
    All the benchmarks I've seen that claim this are running at low resolutions. They are similar in performance at that point but I have a 28" monitor and run games at 1920x1200. I need that extra memory on the GPU to run the same settings at a high resolution. The 8800GT would choke on its own vomit trying to run that.

    Quote Originally Posted by timmyquest
    There are very few, if any (?), dual threaded video games. That is not where the dual or quad cores shine. I promise you, aside from every-day-multitasking, my dual core CPU is of great use when editing photographs or encoding media files as i often do. That said, because a dual core systems cost as much, if not less, you have no reason not to get them. But the fact that your single core system can run video games has a lot less to do with your CPU and more to do with your video card...
    Many newer games are trying to utilize the multicore systems through advancements in multithreading. Source, CryEngine2, Unreal are some of the more well-known engines looking to scale for multicores but are not at full effectiveness. The problem with video games and multicores is the random nature of physics and dependencies such as AI that make parallelism in subsystems almost impossible to finethread. I think Flight Simulator X is the most advanced game using multicores. The list after that is short though with Crysis, UT3, BF2, COD4, DiRT, Bioshock, etc.

    I can't wait to see games push my quad core to tears.

  21. #21
    Body By Nintendo Psydotek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.
    Posts
    3,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mirona View Post
    All the benchmarks I've seen that claim this are running at low resolutions. They are similar in performance at that point but I have a 28" monitor and run games at 1920x1200. I need that extra memory on the GPU to run the same settings at a high resolution. The 8800GT would choke on its own vomit trying to run that.
    Eh... Not really... You sure you're not talking about the Ultra?

    http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...=722&chart=318

    All the 3dmark 2007 scores are almost identical at 1920x1200 and for the overal FPS total for every test combined on Tomshardware, the 8800GT is only 7% slower than the GTX (2281.8 vs 2125.4).

    GTX cards still cost over $300 while the GT cards are close to $200 now.

    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i kept reading that the ati 3850 cards are great for the money. i'd probably go for that or a 3870 if i were buying now.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomcow2 View Post
    lol, the games I play are all 2003 Oh, I did play age of empires 3 for a while, but this is not a demanding game by any means! That is about how hardcore of a gamer I am

    My monitor is a 22" WS. I bought that MSI card. The selling point, as well as the fact it comes overclocked, is that it includes a copy of the THe Witcher. Having skimmed several reviews, it appears that the general consensus is that this card is the ideal choice for respectable performance at relatively low cost. THis is where I feel my needs are.


    wait till may to play that game. go to the witcher forums and note that a BIG ASS PATCH is being released may 16 that fixes all the bugs and makes the game what it was meant to be.

  24. #24
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfishin View Post
    wait till may to play that game. go to the witcher forums and note that a BIG ASS PATCH is being released may 16 that fixes all the bugs and makes the game what it was meant to be.
    eeh, I can't wait that long
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm serious man... it'll be worth the wait. that's why i'm waiting even though i have the game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •