Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 70

Thread: Deal Breaker...

  1. #1
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,879
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Deal Breaker...

    A lady I've never seen before came into the shop this morning and asks if we have a bike box because she wants to ship a MTB to Massachusetts.

    I said, "Yes...they're $15".

    She says, "Let me go check..." and walks out, then they drive off.

    Right across the parking lot the UPS store charges $20 for a box plus packing materials. Is there some unwritten law that bike shops have to give the boxes away for free?
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  2. #2
    ♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯ -=(8)=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
    My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Posts
    7,806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
    AIs there some unwritten law that bike shops have to give the boxes away for free?
    No, they just do it that way. No law needed.
    Ive known lots of people who ship bikes and never known them to be
    charged for what usually ends up in the recycle bin.

    Try to think Random Act of Kindness

  3. #3
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,879
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish more people would think Random Act of Kindness.

    We never used to charge for boxes until people would take them from the rear of the shop, dump the trash inside into the parking lot and drive off. Now we have to store them, hence the charge.

    For the $15 I do make sure they have the proper dropout and axle protectors, plus whatever packing material, zip-ties, etc they need.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  4. #4
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
    A lady I've never seen before came into the shop this morning and asks if we have a bike box because she wants to ship a MTB to Massachusetts.

    I said, "Yes...they're $15".

    She says, "Let me go check..." and walks out, then they drive off.

    Right across the parking lot the UPS store charges $20 for a box plus packing materials.
    Is there some unwritten law that bike shops have to give the boxes away for free?
    is there some written rule that states that bike shops should sell their garbage?

  5. #5
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,879
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto View Post
    is there some written rule that states that bike shops should sell their garbage?
    Yes, it's called the Law of supply and demand.

    They can either go across the parking lot and pay $5 more or drive 60 miles and hope the nearest other shop gives boxes away.

    Also, if it has a use...can it really be called garbage? We pack and ship bikes for customers and set some aside for that purpose. If we give them all away and have a bike to ship, then we have to go pay $20. Fair is fair.
    Last edited by Wordbiker; 04-12-08 at 12:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  6. #6
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
    Yes, it's called the Law of supply and demand.

    They can either go across the parking lot and pay $5 more or drive 60 miles and hope the nearest other shop gives boxes away.
    with that endearing attitude to customers, i think i'd start calling the shop that's 60 miles away my LBS.

  7. #7
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,879
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto View Post
    with that endearing attitude to customers, i think i'd start calling the shop that's 60 miles away my LBS.
    The shop 60 miles away charges double what we do for a tuneup.

    I can see by your responses that free boxes are indeed an expectation of a bike shop. What I wonder at is why the same expectation is not put upon the UPS store. When they sell out of $20 boxes, they call us.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  8. #8
    Senior Member thomson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If a bike shop charged me 10 cents for a bike box, I would never shop there again. You can reason why you have costs associated with them or whatever, I am just saying from my point of view you are gouging me.

    You say that if you leave them out back, the trash gets dumped and they take the boxes. I thought everyone was separating trash from recyclables these days. Why haven't you been?


    Nearly 20 years ago, I was about 25 miles from home and noticed a screw missing from downtube shifter. I popped into the nearest bike shop went to the back and the mechanic looked through his spare parts can and came up with one, flipped it to me and said "have a nice day'. Just then the owner came up and insisted I pay for it, she even looked the part number in the Shimano catalog and charged me $2. I gave her the $2 cause I wanted to get home but I told everybody i knew. I posted things on BBS's. I got it in a local bike newsletter.

    That shop went out of business 6 months later. Certainly not what she did to me personally but that same attitude probably didn't sit well with others.

    So,keep charging $15 for your trash. it is a pretty safe bet that lady will no longer come to your shop. Do you have any idea how many people she is going to tell?

  9. #9
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
    The shop 60 miles away charges double what we do for a tuneup.

    I can see by your responses that free boxes are indeed an expectation of a bike shop. What I wonder at is why the same expectation is not put upon the UPS store. When they sell out of $20 boxes, they call us.
    does ups sell used boxes that would end up in the scrap pile? didn't think so.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Sledbikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we keep them separate but to put the bike in the box is 50$
    riding and pimpin again

  11. #11
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,879
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto View Post
    does ups sell used boxes that would end up in the scrap pile? didn't think so.
    When they get boxes from us, yes they do.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  12. #12
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
    When they get boxes from us, yes they do.
    do you charge them $15 for the boxes as well?


    btw - why is this in foo?

  13. #13
    Videre non videri
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    My Bikes
    1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike
    Posts
    3,204
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We gave them away. The ones we didn't give away ended up in the recycling van once a week anyway.

  14. #14
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,879
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto View Post
    btw - why is this in foo?
    Because it's really about the psychology of the thing. All I wondered about was why there is a perception that something of obvious value for shipping a bike must be given free of charge. You've convinced me...I'll give boxes away for free and double our tuneup rates.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  15. #15
    old and in the way grueling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Carbondale, CO
    My Bikes
    Alpe Duez Centaur, Custom CX DA
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last summer I had my LBS ship my bike to enable me to do a charity ride. I don't recall a charge for the box, but I happily paid a handling charge, above the shipping rate, to have my bike professionally packed with proper protection. I was very happy to do so.

  16. #16
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,879
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thomson View Post
    If a bike shop charged me 10 cents for a bike box, I would never shop there again...
    Wow, that's an amazing story!
    You singlehandedly started a campaign to defame a shop because they charged you $2 for a part that fixed your bike, and they made sure to charge you the correct price? To me that doesn't sound like gouging at all, but I respect that your perspective is your own.

    Be that as it may, I won't be doubling the price of our tuneups. My apologies if my answer there was a bit facetious, but part of my job is to make sure the shop is profitable for the owner, and it was his policy to charge for boxes...I was merely doing my job. We will still set aside the undamaged and usable boxes for the packing and shipping jobs we get (so we don't end up having to pay UPS the $20...it's happened. Botto, I'm not sure what they gave for our boxes, it was credited to our account), but thanks to the responses in this thread, public opine obviously says that bike boxes are free...when they come from the bike shop, not UPS. I'll just say we don't have any other than what is in the recycling pile, help yourself...just please, don't leave a mess.
    Last edited by Wordbiker; 04-12-08 at 05:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    South City, Ca
    Posts
    3,348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
    A lady I've never seen before came into the shop this morning and asks if we have a bike box because she wants to ship a MTB to Massachusetts.

    I said, "Yes...they're $15".

    She says, "Let me go check..." and walks out, then they drive off.

    Right across the parking lot the UPS store charges $20 for a box plus packing materials. Is there some unwritten law that bike shops have to give the boxes away for free?
    The two times I shipped bikes I went into the dumpster behind the a bike shop here, and in phoenix, took a box for free, and packed it myself.

    15$ for storage? Yea.. no.

    I really don't blame the lady, I would have laughed in your face.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    South City, Ca
    Posts
    3,348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
    The shop 60 miles away charges double what we do for a tuneup.

    I can see by your responses that free boxes are indeed an expectation of a bike shop. What I wonder at is why the same expectation is not put upon the UPS store. When they sell out of $20 boxes, they call us.
    ...because at UPS they sell brand new boxes for SHIPPING, they are a shipping company.

    Is you're LBS primarily a shipping company? Are the boxes you normally throw away used? Most likely yes. They are garbage/recyclables, who'd want to pay for your trash? I can think of 5 bike shops within 10 minutes of me that has tons of those boxes in the dumpster.

    It's not an expectation. But it just seems nitpicky to think I can't get a free piece of cardboard.

    Another thing you don't even think of is the effect that has on the customer. Last time I got screwed by the LBS I always frequented, summit bicycles, I stopped shopping there. I dropped easily 50-100 a month in there, now.... nada. There are so many bike shop choices, one bad experience or ahole employee.... yea I'll take myself elsewhere.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    South City, Ca
    Posts
    3,348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
    Because it's really about the psychology of the thing. All I wondered about was why there is a perception that something of obvious value for shipping a bike must be given free of charge. You've convinced me...I'll give boxes away for free and double our tuneup rates.
    If you're business relies on revenue from recyclable boxes you're going to need to up alot more than just tuneups.

  20. #20
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,879
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, three posts just chock full of helpful info. Thanks. I hope that didn't put you out too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  21. #21
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
    I wish more people would think Random Act of Kindness.

    We never used to charge for boxes until people would take them from the rear of the shop, dump the trash inside into the parking lot and drive off. Now we have to store them, hence the charge.

    For the $15 I do make sure they have the proper dropout and axle protectors, plus whatever packing material, zip-ties, etc they need.
    Why not just take a razor to the box and make it useless if this is such a problem? I wouldn't charge $15 for a box because i certainly would never pay for it...not to mention, it's going into the garbage.

    I know LBS's run on tight margins but crikes...

    Performance gave me the box to ship my Leader...free of charge. How nice of 'em

    Lastly, if you had never seen her i'm assuming you're indicating that she wasn't a customer. What a good way to win a new customer but to charge her $15 for a piece of garbage that is over priced when it isn't garbage (My local UPS store wanted to charge me $25...talk about a markup)

  22. #22
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
    Because it's really about the psychology of the thing. All I wondered about was why there is a perception that something of obvious value for shipping a bike must be given free of charge. You've convinced me...I'll give boxes away for free and double our tuneup rates.
    There isn't very much psychology at play here...you are charing more than what she was willing to pay. It isn't much deeper than that.

  23. #23
    BF's Level 12 Wizard SingingSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
    Posts
    1,414
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto View Post
    with that endearing attitude to customers, i think i'd start calling the shop that's 60 miles away my LBS.
    Personally, if my LBS will pack up everything so it's safe for shipping, I'll look past that $15.

    It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if they're willing to do the services the OP said they do. It would be if it were just a used box.
    Shameless plug (my sites):
    Photography
    Vanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn
    Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    South City, Ca
    Posts
    3,348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
    Also, if it has a use...can it really be called garbage? We pack and ship bikes for customers and set some aside for that purpose. If we give them all away and have a bike to ship, then we have to go pay $20. Fair is fair.
    Wait. Is the packing of the bikes/materials included in the 15$ for the box?

  25. #25
    BF's Level 12 Wizard SingingSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
    Posts
    1,414
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheard View Post
    Wait. Is the packing of the bikes/materials included in the 15$ for the box?
    If I read the first post correctly, yes.
    Shameless plug (my sites):
    Photography
    Vanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn
    Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •